PDA

View Full Version : Upsets This Season

MYTAPPY
July 20th, 2006, 09:44 AM
List your major/mild upsets you see happening this coming season.
If any......

App over NC State......of course:D

kats89
July 20th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I think the KAT Aerial Attack has a decent chance against SMU in Dallas. Supposedly they have a weak secondary.:thumbsup:

Tribe4SF
July 20th, 2006, 10:42 AM
New Hampshire over Northwestern

JMU over App State

colgate13
July 20th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Not calling the exact upset, but Georgia Southern starts the season at 1-1.

(Meaning they lose to either CCSU or CCU.)

AppGuy04
July 20th, 2006, 11:06 AM
GSU loses to WCU and Chatt

WMTribe90
July 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM
From what I hear about Northwestern's defense (particularly their secondary) I think UNH could win a shootout.

Other potential BCS wins (slim chance) ASU over NCST, Richmond over Duke or my upset special MSU over CU.

poly51
July 20th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Cal Poly over Montana in Montana (again).

igo4uni
July 20th, 2006, 11:41 AM
New Hampshire over Northwestern

I have no clue about Northwestern but the fact that their head coach died suddenly might impact the way the players play. It could help them or hurt them..........hard to tell.

What I do know is that Santos and Ball are the real deal. Very impressive combination. I was relieved when UNI got out of NH last year with a W.

If the UNH defense can play well, I think Mr. Santos and company can score some points.

Should be fun to watch.

SoCon48
July 20th, 2006, 11:42 AM
From what I hear about Northwestern's defense (particularly their secondary) I think UNH could win a shootout.

Other potential BCS wins (slim chance) ASU over NCST, Richmond over Duke or my upset special MSU over CU.

Anyone who beats Duke..it isn't an upset. it's an upset when Duke beats anybody.

GSUhooligan
July 20th, 2006, 11:55 AM
App goes 2-3 against North Carolina competition this year.

DUPFLFan
July 20th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Here would be an interesting bet.

Who wins by a larger margin

Northwestern over UNH

- or -

UNI over Drake....

:eyebrow:

igo4uni
July 20th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Here would be an interesting bet.

Who wins by a larger margin

Northwestern over UNH

- or -

UNI over Drake....

:eyebrow:

You're not trying to get UNI to overlook Drake, right??:p :p :p

By the way I plan on being in attendance at newly renovated Drake Stadium for the game!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

mainejeff
July 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM
UNH over Northwestern
JMU over App State
Maine over Youngstown
Maine over UNH

GaSouthern
July 20th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Not calling the exact upset, but Georgia Southern starts the season at 1-1.

(Meaning they lose to either CCSU or CCU.)

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

dbackjon
July 20th, 2006, 01:22 PM
NAU over Montana

GrizFoo
July 20th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Cal Poly over Montana in Montana (again).

That isn't much of an upset, I would say most people would have these teams about even coming into the season. CP did make it futher in the playoffs last year, and does have a isht load of talent back. I guess to some pollsters lean toward the Griz in the rankings, but a lot of that is due to the Griz always being there. When statistically speaking you are always in the playoffs, and have made it the the NC 3 times since 2000 it ain't a bad bet. But if you erase all of that history, I think CP would be rated higher at the beginning because both would start from the unknown spot.

Cocky
July 20th, 2006, 01:46 PM
According to the polls, if we beat anyone it will be an upset.

EKU05
July 20th, 2006, 01:49 PM
If we're going to talk about potential wins over the BCS let me throw out EKU's season opening tilt at Cincinnati.

DUPFLFan
July 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM
You're not trying to get UNI to overlook Drake, right?

Are you kidding, With some of the posts I have seen on this and other forums, most of your fans are already at game 2, talking about 50 point spreads....

I think that Northwestern, with the death of their coach is going to come roaring out of the box.....

Remember - Fitz was a defensive player.. He will get the defense into shape..:thumbsup:

MYTAPPY
July 20th, 2006, 02:24 PM
If we're going to talk about potential wins over the BCS let me throw out EKU's season opening tilt at Cincinnati.

I'll give you that one EKU05.

goasu984Life
July 20th, 2006, 02:37 PM

Is Richmond over Dook really an upset? I think it would be an upset if Dook beats Richmond.

GeauxColonels
July 20th, 2006, 03:50 PM

You forgot Nicholls State over Nebraska. :D xidiotx

WMTribe90
July 20th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Anytime a IAA beats a BCS team its an upset. I'll adit UR over Duke is probably not a major upset, but an upset none the less. UR will have a new QB, his performance will likely determine the outcome.

UNH is Northwestern's second game of the season. This is important. Northwestern will come out fired up to win the first game for the old HC who passed. The second game might actually come as an emotional let-down after the emotion of the first game without him :twocents: .

Cap'n Cat
July 20th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Youngstown over Slippery Rock.

Youngstown over Clarion.

Youngstown over Kutztown.

Youngstown over Millersburg.

Youngstown over Fairmont State.

GoGuins
July 20th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Youngstown over Clarion.

I don't know, that's a tough stretch for us, I see us going 2-3. Those games will definitely prepare YSU for GFC play.

July 20th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Anyone who beats Duke..it isn't an upset. it's an upset when Duke beats anybody.All time records:
9-1 DUKE vs RICHMOND
5-0 NCSTATE vs. ASU

39-35-5 DUKE vs NCSTATE

Why hasn't ASU played DUKE????

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com

rcny46
July 20th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Youngstown over Clarion.

I have to admit,this one made me laugh.Be prepared ( if that distinction didn't happen a long time ago ) to be declared persona non grata by the folks in Youngstown.

blackfordpu
July 20th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I think the KAT Aerial Attack has a decent chance against SMU in Dallas. Supposedly they have a weak secondary.:thumbsup:

I'm calling for the biggest upset in any sport at any time.

SHSU over UT in Austin

Begin the battle cries! http://images.skyscraperpage.com/images/smilies/righton.gif

Cat79
July 20th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Texas State wins 27-24 over University of Kentucky:D :hurray:

July 20th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I'm calling for the biggest upset in any sport at any time. SHSU over UT in Austinuh... a little hyperbole from a texan?

SoCon48
July 20th, 2006, 08:44 PM
All time records:
9-1 DUKE vs RICHMOND
5-0 NCSTATE vs. ASU

39-35-5 DUKE vs NCSTATE

Same reason UNC won't play ASU. NC State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Wake Forest all have.

July 20th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Same reason UNC won't play ASU. NC State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Wake Forest all have.I don't know what UNC, NC State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, South Carolina and Wake Forest have to do with my question but okay, I'll ask again... Why hasn't ASU played DUKE????

and don't give me a "they're scared" type of answer please... this is the DISCUSSION board

SoCon48
July 20th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I don't know what UNC, have to do with my question but okay, I'll ask again... Why hasn't ASU played DUKE????

and don't give me a "they're scared" type of answer please... this is the DISCUSSION board

The "scared" answers are reserved for the Coastal Carolina vs Citadel posts.

My guess with both Duke and UNC is that playing ASU lends credibility to a program that they consider "not to be on their level program-wise". and might bite into their myths used in recruiting. They use the I-AA distinction routinely in their in-state recruiting.

I don't know what UNC, NC State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, South Carolina and Wake Forest have to do with my question but okay, I'll ask again...

NC State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, South Carolina and Wake Forest are on Duke's level or higher, yet have still chosen to schedule App.
No UNC isn't scared of a loss (I mean damn, they've lost enough), but choose to keep their losses to lesser programs out of the NC realm. Thus Furman, VMI's, etc.
Duke, on the other hand, should be "scared" to schedule anyone above the Mars Hill level.

Actually, it should be "why hasn't Duke played ASU?" since ASU has made the effort to schedule Duke many times..as recently as this year with the arrival of Cobb.

ngineer
July 20th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Lehigh will knock off Colgate and Lafayette....;)

July 20th, 2006, 10:49 PM
... My guess with both Duke and UNC is that playing ASU lends credibility to a program that they consider "not to be on their level program-wise". and might bite into their myths used in recruiting. They use the I-AA distinction routinely in their in-state recruiting.so why does Duke play I-AA's then... deftly missing ASU?
... Duke, on the other hand, should be "scared" to schedule anyone above the Mars Hill level.Yet they have a winning record against NCSTATE... the answers given do not add up.

July 20th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Sav State will win a game

Mr. C
July 20th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Duke doesn't play App State, because Duke has less talent than ASU most years. It would be even worse than when App State played Wake Forest every year and expected to win the games. Duke has nothing to gain by playing and most likely losing to ASU. At least Wake Forest would draw their biggest home crowd of the season when it played the Mountaineers. The Deacons definitely made money off that series, even if they lost a lot of games.

One more upset: Furman putting the thump on North Carolina (AGAIN).

July 20th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Duke doesn't play App State, because Duke has less talent than ASU...I already posted:
don't give me a "they're scared" type of answer please... this is the DISCUSSION board

I don't buy it and you haven't proved it. NCSTATE has an unblemished record over ASU and DUKE has a winning record over NCSTATE.

So I'll just take it as an "unknown" why Duke doesn't play ASU. But ASU folks shouldn't say Duke is an autobeatable team unless they do it first.

FUwolfpacker
July 20th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Duke doesn't play App State, because Duke has less talent than ASU most years. It would be even worse than when App State played Wake Forest every year and expected to win the games. Duke has nothing to gain by playing and most likely losing to ASU. At least Wake Forest would draw their biggest home crowd of the season when it played the Mountaineers. The Deacons definitely made money off that series, even if they lost a lot of games.

One more upset: Furman putting the thump on North Carolina (AGAIN).

I hope you're right. Being an NC State fan, I HATE UNC, and since I'm a Furman alum, I'll be rooting twice as hard as I normally do for Furman to win. However, I'm pretty sure the day Furman beat UNC, UNC had a RB starting at QB (or their 3rd string QB...I don't remember). Plus those were players from the Torbush era (I think...), and while I hate Bunting, I think he's slowly improving the talent level. Furman definitley has a shot. We always have a bunch of trick plays ready for I-A foes (see the Pitt game 2 years ago). I just don't know though. Furman and App. State both have good chance to win, I just don't think either one will.

Mr. C
July 20th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I hope you're right. Being an NC State fan, I HATE UNC, and since I'm a Furman alum, I'll be rooting twice as hard as I normally do for Furman to win. However, I'm pretty sure the day Furman beat UNC, UNC had a RB starting at QB (or their 3rd string QB...I don't remember). Plus those were players from the Torbush era (I think...), and while I hate Bunting, I think he's slowly improving the talent level. Furman definitley has a shot. We always have a bunch of trick plays ready for I-A foes (see the Pitt game 2 years ago). I just don't know though. Furman and App. State both have good chance to win, I just don't think either one will.
It didn't matter who North Carolina had playing that day. Furman beat the crap out of the Tar Babies on both sides of the ball. The Paladins went easy on them that day, or it would have been one of the biggest I-AA wins ever over a name I-A program. It was still 28-3 and that score didn't come close to indicating the depth of Furman's victory.

July 20th, 2006, 11:15 PM
... It would be even worse than when App State played Wake Forest every year and expected to win the games...Appalachian State vs Wake Forest ... Record: 7-14-1
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/appalachian_state/opponents_records.php?teamid=3404

TheBisonator
July 20th, 2006, 11:22 PM
NDSU beats Minnesota.

Hey, you never know...

Mr. C
July 20th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Furman can beat North Carolina by controlling the ball on the ground with Jerome Felton and company, milking the clock and keeping the defense off the field.

Mr. C
July 20th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Appalachian State vs Wake Forest ... Record: 7-14-1
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/appalachian_state/opponents_records.php?teamid=3404
Record during the Jerry Moore era: ASU 5 wins, Wake Forest 6 wins. ASU has a 3-2 series lead since 1995. All games played at Groves Stadium with ACC refs. This has been a very even series since Jerry arrived. So much so that Wake finally cancelled the series, despite the fact that it drew some of its its best home crowds. Ralph, you've got to dig a little deeper than the obvious stats sometimes to find out why someone writes something. App State has always been ticked off big time by losing to Wake since I've covered the team, because the Mountaineers thought they were suppose to win. That was just the attitude they went into that game with.

July 20th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Record during the Jerry Moore era: ASU 5 wins, Wake Forest 6 wins. ASU has a 3-2 series lead since 1995. All games played at Groves Stadium with ACC refs. This has been a very even series since Jerry arrived. So much so that Wake finally cancelled the series, despite the fact that it drew some of its its best home crowds. Ralph, you've got to dig a little deeper than the obvious stats sometimes to find out why someone writes something. App State has always been ticked off big time by losing to Wake since I've covered the team, because the Mountaineers thought they were suppose to win. That was just the attitude they went into that game with.Dave, I am not trying to spin anything... I just posted the facts. Those show that ASU has lost twice as much as they have won. That is not opinion or spin no matter what. The series started in the 1970's so this is not ancient history.

Mr. C
July 20th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Dave, I am not trying to spin anything... I just posted the facts. Those show that ASU has lost twice as much as they have won. That is not opinion or spin no matter what. The series started in the 1970's so this is not ancient history.
I didn't accuse you of spinning anything. What Jerry Moore has done in the series is much more important than looking back at what happened in the Jim Brakefield-Mike Working-Mack Brown and Sparky Woods eras. Jerry has more than twice as many wins against Wake as any of his five predecessors. Wake of the 90s and onward bare no resemblance to those Deacon teams of the 70s and 80s. Just trying to enlighten you to the more recent history between the two teams.

July 20th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I didn't accuse you of spinning anything... Just trying to enlighten you to the more recent history between the two teams.Not saying you did say I was spinning ... but recent history (App lost the last "Weak Florist" game in 2001 and five of the last eight) doesn't really mean that much in college football since the turnover is so great. Just stating the facts and saying they are not in the I-AA Champ's favor.

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 08:16 AM
Dave, I am not trying to spin anything... I just posted the facts. Those show that ASU has lost twice as much as they have won. That is not opinion or spin no matter what. .

Or stated another way. ASU has won 1/3 of the match-ups with all played at Wake. Most of the 22 games were very close and many if not most decided only in the last couple minutes.
Ya think Wake would have won as many if the games had been played at the Rock with SoCon officials, considering that Wake wins included margins of 1, 4, 3, 4, 3, 2, 6, (and a tie) etc.
Not exactly domination and well within the 1 TD home field advantage.

The series started in the 1970's so this is not ancient history
You're right about that..1975 to be exact with ASU winning the first one.

ASUalumni05
July 21st, 2006, 08:18 AM
Damn Ralph. You said it yourself, "this is a discussion board". Well that's what they are trying to do, discuss. You are on a mission to contradict anything anybody says about North Carolina Schools.

No offense, but are you even from NC?

AppGuy04
July 21st, 2006, 08:24 AM
Furman can beat North Carolina by controlling the ball on the ground with Jerome Felton and company, milking the clock and keeping the defense off the field.

I'll be wearing my Furple that day

MYTAPPY
July 21st, 2006, 08:26 AM
NCSTATE has an unblemished record over ASU and DUKE has a winning record over NCSTATE.

You keep on pointing out the fact the Duke has a winning record over State. Thats fine and dandy, were most of those wins back when there was no electricity.xcoffeex What is the record of Duke/NC State games over the last 10 years. Exactly....

blackfordpu
July 21st, 2006, 08:28 AM
uh... a little hyperbole from a texan?

I can't think of a bigger one, can you?

Spider
July 21st, 2006, 09:10 AM
Is Richmond over Dook really an upset? I think it would be an upset if Dook beats Richmond.
me too......

Eaglegus2
July 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM
My upset of the year would be Georgia Southern over App State.

AppGuy04
July 21st, 2006, 09:35 AM
You keep on pointing out the fact the Duke has a winning record over State. Thats fine and dandy, were most of those wins back when there was no electricity.xcoffeex What is the record of Duke/NC State games over the last 10 years. Exactly....

I was thinking the same thing. Those Duke teams of old had Heisman Trophy winners, now they are lucky if they step on the field with a Heisman candidate.

Tailbone
July 21st, 2006, 09:36 AM
If the Griz don't focus on each game individually, looking ahead instead to divisional opponents......they could be upset by Iowa (Hawkeyes).

xidiotx

Grizzaholic
July 21st, 2006, 12:08 PM
Funny stuff here, 3 teams in the BSC take their bye weeks before they play us. Do they really need two weeks to prepare for the GRIZ? My thinking on the deal is: They are just setting themselves up for a loss. Many teams come out of a bye week larthargic (sp) and end up losing.

SochorField
July 21st, 2006, 12:34 PM
UC Davis beats Cal Poly (again--3 years in a row)

Cal Poly beats Montana (again)

UC Davis beats Youngstown State (they'll never know what hit 'em!)

July 21st, 2006, 12:39 PM
Damn Ralph. You said it yourself, "this is a discussion board". Well that's what they are trying to do, discuss. You are on a mission to contradict anything anybody says about North Carolina Schools.

No offense, but are you even from NC?What does me being from NC have anything to do with me just posting the facts and extrapolating that Richmond beating Duke and ASU beating NCSTATE would be huge wins? I just want the I-AA squads to win over I-A teams.

OL FU
July 21st, 2006, 12:41 PM
Western Carolina beats Georgia Southern:nod:

I-AA Fan
July 21st, 2006, 12:43 PM

Not to sound smart or dumb ... who is MSU & CU? MSU = Missouri St., Murray St., McNeese St., Morgan St., Morehead St.?

GoGuins
July 21st, 2006, 12:44 PM

We'll be ready! :nono:

grizbeer
July 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM
ISU over UNLV and Idaho to go 2-0 vs I-A
WSU over Colorado State.

Not huge upsets, but possible and good matchups for I-AA vs I-A.

grizbeer
July 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM
Not to sound smart or dumb ... who is MSU & CU? MSU = Missouri St., Murray St., McNeese St., Morgan St., Morehead St.?
Montana State vs Colorado.

BigApp
July 21st, 2006, 12:55 PM
You forgot Nicholls State over Nebraska. :D xidiotx

HAH! HAH! I like the way you think GC!! A fan after my own heart!:thumbsup: I say this every year:

One of these days, an win like this WILL happen, and I plan on being there when it does!

BigApp
July 21st, 2006, 12:58 PM
All time records:
9-1 DUKE vs RICHMOND
5-0 NCSTATE vs. ASU

39-35-5 DUKE vs NCSTATE

When Fred Goldsmith was coaching Duke, he was asked that question point blank. I vividly remember his response. He stated he would love to play Appalachian as he knew we would bring a bunch of fans and add some atmosphere to Wallace-Wade Vomitorium. But, that it was out of his hands (i.e., the powers-that-be) in scheduling us.

BigApp
July 21st, 2006, 01:16 PM

Keep trying Ralph. :nono: And again, your hatred of Appalachian rears it's ugly head. If your gonna use facts to make a point, at least use all the facts :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

App IS 7-14-1 against Wake Forest with ALL games in Groves Stadium.

Here, ladies and gentlemen is the REST of the story, which Ralph conveniently leaves out::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Points Scored
Appalachian =375
Wake Forest=440

That's an average score of:
Wake-20
App -17

with 17 of 22 games decided by 8 points or less.

Now..........Page 2!

July 21st, 2006, 01:21 PM
Keep trying Ralph. And again, your hatred of Appalachian rears it's ugly head. If your gonna use facts to make a point, at least use all the facts: ... which Ralph conveniently leaves out.:bawling: Ralph posted a fact so he hates ASU :bawling: xlolx xlolx xlolx C'mon! Do you even know what point I made in this thread?

Maybe you missed where I posted a link to all the facts? Nothing was left out. Homers hate facts, they would rather continue on with their spin while saying everything else is hate. :nod:

colonelblitz
July 21st, 2006, 02:45 PM
Texas State wins 27-24 over University of Kentucky:D :hurray:
:) :) :) :) Are you sure??? I just don't see Kentucky scoring 24 points..xidiotx

slostang
July 21st, 2006, 03:52 PM
UC Davis beats Cal Poly (again--3 years in a row)

Cal Poly beats Montana (again)

I would put that Cal Poly beats Davis, but when they do, it wont be an upset.:)

July 21st, 2006, 04:07 PM
I would put that Cal Poly beats DavisSo happy I'll be there to see who wins!

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 05:35 PM
What does me being from NC have anything to do with me just posting the facts and extrapolating that Richmond beating Duke and ASU beating NCSTATE would be huge wins? I just want the I-AA squads to win over I-A teams.

Huge wins, sure, but anybody over Duke is not an upset.

July 21st, 2006, 05:45 PM
Huge wins, sure, but anybody over Duke is not an upset.Does that mean 6-5 ECU beating 1-10 Duke by three points last year was not an upset? xlolx

skinny_uncle
July 21st, 2006, 06:24 PM
SIU over Indiana. This could be the "coming-out party" for new QB Nick Hill.

JMU Duke Dog
July 21st, 2006, 07:05 PM
Does that mean 6-5 ECU beating 1-10 Duke by three points last year was not an upset? xlolx

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

GSUhooligan
July 21st, 2006, 07:33 PM
HAH! HAH! I like the way you think GC!! A fan after my own heart!:thumbsup: I say this every year:

One of these days, an win like this WILL happen, and I plan on being there when it does!

You're right, it will: GSU vs. UGa in 2008...write it down:nod:

MSUBear42
July 21st, 2006, 07:46 PM
Missouri State will be winning after 3 quarters vs. Oklahoma State...
then loose by 50, but that's not the point.

Mustang Man
July 21st, 2006, 08:51 PM

The same reason Fresno State will not play Cal Poly. And I'm sure the same reason Stanford will not play UC Davis again.

slostang
July 21st, 2006, 09:15 PM
So happy I'll be there to see who wins!
We are all glad you will be there and look forward to meeting you. Should be a great game.

Purple Knight
July 22nd, 2006, 12:12 AM
Anyone willing to put 8 or 9 players in the box can pull the upset against Furman. Western Carolina probably. We will be so intent on establishing the running game, we will forget about keeping the defense honest. IMHO.

Laserlips
July 22nd, 2006, 09:53 AM
How could anybody beating GSU this season be an "upset"?

Our Coaches have changed.....
OUr Offense has changed........
Our players have changed........ (a lot of them).

It will obviously take a few games for the offense to jell, and with all of the changes it may take more than a few games.

My only consulation is that we are just as likely to "kick butt" right out of the gate as to "roll over and play dead".

This upcoming season is obviously a "building year". I just think that all of the changes are positives, and I think GSU will indeed surprise some folks this season..

JMOFO :thumbsup:

JP

lambertjr
July 22nd, 2006, 10:14 AM
UCF over UF-(Gators might be looking at Tenn. next week)
Yes, I know UCF is D-1, but down there they are treated like they don't even matter. It's the big 3 and thats all!(UF,FSU,UM)

lambertjr
July 22nd, 2006, 10:19 AM
How about Nicholls St. over LaTech and Texas St. over Kentucky.

GSUhooligan
July 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
If Texas St. DOESN'T beat Kentucky, they should be demoted to D-II.

JohnStOnge
July 22nd, 2006, 10:42 AM
Here's some I noted as keeping an eye on; in approximate order of my guess at likelhihood of a I-AA win.

North Dakota State at Ball State
Idaho State at Idaho
Southeastern Louisiana at New Mexico State
Cal Poly at San Jose State
Idaho State at UNLV
Portland State at New Mexico
Hofstra at Marshall
Nicholls State at Louisiana Tech
Villanova at Central Florida
Eastern Kentucky at Cincinnatti
Cal Davis at TCU
McNeese State at Toledo
Southeastern Louisiana at Southern Miss

One thing I think I've seen over the past few years is fewer and fewer of the weaker I-A programs scheduling what are preceived as the stronger I-AA programs. I don't know if that's really going on or it's just my imagination.

Go Poly
July 22nd, 2006, 10:45 AM
If Texas St. DOESN'T beat Kentucky, they should be demoted to D-II.

Texas St. is certainly a strong opponent, but they lost their QB to the NFL, right? They have a strong D. But, do they really have the depth to take on a mid-tier 1-A school like Kentucky?

BigApp
July 22nd, 2006, 10:47 AM
:bawling: Ralph posted a fact so he hates ASU :bawling: xlolx xlolx xlolx C'mon! Do you even know what point I made in this thread?

Maybe you missed where I posted a link to all the facts? Nothing was left out. Homers hate facts, they would rather continue on with their spin while saying everything else is hate. :nod:

and tell us Ralph, what part of my post was 'spin'?xcoffeex

July 22nd, 2006, 11:04 AM
and tell us Ralph, what part of my post was 'spin'?xcoffeexAre you saying you are a homer? I did post a fact and you called it "your hatred of Appalachian rears it's ugly head." xcoffeex

UAalum72
July 22nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
How could anybody beating GSU this season be an "upset"?

Our Coaches have changed.....
OUr Offense has changed........
Our players have changed........ (a lot of them).

It will obviously take a few games for the offense to jell, and with all of the changes it may take more than a few games.

Already getting your excuses lined up for the Central Connecticut game? :smiley_wi

lucchesicourt
July 22nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
John,

Here's some I noted as keeping an eye on; in approximate order of my guess at likelhihood of a I-AA win.

Cal Davis at TCU

"Cal Davis" again? It's UC Davis

BigApp
July 22nd, 2006, 01:11 PM
I asked first, Ralph

Go Poly
July 22nd, 2006, 01:31 PM
John,

Cal Davis at TCU

Calling UC Davis, Cal Davis is like calling UCLA, Cal Los Angeles. Nobody does because UCLA is UCLA and UC Davis is UC Davis. Cal Poly is known as Cal Poly not California State Poly or CPSLO or whatever. Just because some uneducated newspaper columnist or football critic from the east doesn't have a clue......:nono:

July 22nd, 2006, 03:17 PM
I asked first, Ralphxlolx
Okay, and I answered quoting your spin:
I did post a fact and you called it "your hatred of Appalachian rears it's ugly head."The fact I posted:
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/appalachian_state/opponents_records.php?teamid=3404Obviously that is a prime example that my (in your mind) "hatred of Appalachian rears it's ugly head." xlolx :rolleyes: xcoffeex

Are you going to answer now? xlolx xlolx xlolx

JohnStOnge
July 22nd, 2006, 05:18 PM
John,

Cal Davis at TCU

Ok. I'll say UC Davis from now on. But I don't see the big distinction. I took it from a web site that referred to it as "California Davis." It's kind of like the University of Louisiana at Monroe. I could call it UL Monroe or Louisiana Monroe or La. Monroe. I don't see the big distinction between calling it UC Davis or University of California at Davis or California Davis or Cal Davis.

As long as everybody knows who I'm referring to.

SochorField
July 22nd, 2006, 08:43 PM
As long as everybody knows who I'm referring to.

Here we go again.........:rotateh:

Its like....if someone calls you the wrong name, but it sticks because now people associate it with you. People know what the name refers to, but its not your name. You would want it corrected.

We've gone through this at length in other threads....I dont see why it only seems to happen with UC Davis....

TheTribeHasSpoken
July 22nd, 2006, 09:09 PM
W&M over Maryland.

fuEMO
July 22nd, 2006, 09:33 PM
I agree with Mr. C, I think Furman will be a tuff matchup for UNC. Wolfpacker was right about UNC having some offensive issues in 99, but Peppers was the leader of the UNC defense that Furman shredded for 21 first half points and over 400 yards.

Speaking of IAA vs IA. Furman and Clemson had a little 7 on 7 sandlot touchfootball game. Heard Gray looked impressive, alot further along than Procter for Clemson.

blackfordpu
July 22nd, 2006, 10:14 PM

Idaho State at Idaho
Idaho State at UNLV
Hofstra at Marshall
Cal Davis at TCU
McNeese State at Toledo

One thing I think I've seen over the past few years is fewer and fewer of the weaker I-A programs scheduling what are preceived as the stronger I-AA programs. I don't know if that's really going on or it's just my imagination.

No faith for SHSU over SMU John?

JohnStOnge
July 22nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
No faith for SHSU over SMU John?

Only because SHSU was down last season and I don't know anything about what they have coming back. It wouldn't shock me. In fact, I guess if I really look at it it arguably has more potential than McNeese at Toledo or Southeastern Louisiana at Southern Miss...especially since Toledo was 9-3, Southern Miss was 7-5, and SMU was 5-6.

JohnStOnge
July 22nd, 2006, 10:49 PM
Here we go again.........:rotateh:

Its like....if someone calls you the wrong name, but it sticks because now people associate it with you. People know what the name refers to, but its not your name. You would want it corrected.

We've gone through this at length in other threads....I dont see why it only seems to happen with UC Davis....

Well...I said I'm going to type "UC Davis" from now on.

But doesn't "UC" stand for University of California." I mean, isn't it pretty much a shortened form of "Unversity of California at Davis" (or "University of California, Davis Campus" as indicated on the school's web site). I think it's pretty easy to see how it happens.

blackfordpu
July 22nd, 2006, 10:50 PM
Only because SHSU was down last season and I don't know anything about what they have coming back. It wouldn't shock me. In fact, I guess if I really look at it it arguably has more potential than McNeese at Toledo or Southeastern Louisiana at Southern Miss...especially since Toledo was 9-3, Southern Miss was 7-5, and SMU was 5-6.

Didn't Toledo go to a bowl game last season?

The Gadfly
July 22nd, 2006, 11:02 PM
Coastal over Furman in Conway

youwouldno
July 22nd, 2006, 11:39 PM
Coastal over Furman in Conway

Stranger things have happened, that's for sure. My Paladins will have to be prepared for that game. I don't think CCU will actually win but it's certainly possible.

So far as Furman-UNC, I think the key will be whether UNC is surprised by the Paladins' physicality on offense. Sure, trick plays probably will be in the game plan, but if UNC doesn't take Furman's ground game seriously, they might pay for it. To pull off the upset, the Paladins' D will definitely have to show up.

July 23rd, 2006, 12:14 AM
Didn't Toledo go to a bowl game last season?Didn't most of I-A? :rotateh:

Tod
July 23rd, 2006, 01:01 AM
Didn't most of I-A? :rotateh:

Yeah, I think so. Wasn't it '04 when there was only one I-A team even eligible for a bowl that didn't get an invite?

Now they've added four more bowls.

I guess that explains the 12th game. I'll bet they didn't change the rule requiring six wins. Now we'll see bowl games with .500 teams playing.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: : smh :

Lionsrking
July 23rd, 2006, 01:37 AM

Idaho State at Idaho
Idaho State at UNLV
Hofstra at Marshall
Cal Davis at TCU
McNeese State at Toledo

I think we have a reasonable shot at New Mexico State even though they're going to be much improved. I would like to think we can play with Southern Miss, especially our defense versus their offense, but as Cowboy fans know, they're a different animal than the Aggies. If we can stay within a couple of touchdowns of USM I'll feel pretty good about where we are.

lucchesicourt
July 23rd, 2006, 03:21 AM
John,

I'll try to explain why it is UC Davis and NOT Cal Davis. Cal usually refers to state colleges abd universities like- Cal State Sacramento, Cal State Los Anfeles, Cal Sate Fulleron, etc. The requirements to enter these institutions are far lower than those to get into a UC. The UC system is one of the top educational systems in the world. The same cannot be said for Cal state schools. UC Berkeley, which is called California or Cal for short is the "one" exception to the UC who accepts being called Cal. That may be because they were the first UC campus, It would be like calling MIT the University of Mass.

GoGatos
July 23rd, 2006, 08:56 AM
Texas St. is certainly a strong opponent, but they lost their QB to the NFL, right? They have a strong D. But, do they really have the depth to take on a mid-tier 1-A school like Kentucky?

I think we have the depth at every position with the exception of O-line. In terms of experience, we're pretty thin there. We've got some very solid guys coming back, but we have a lot of youth who have tremendous potential. But as we all know, potential means jack if you don't live up to it.

My gut instinct is to list the QB depth as a question mark because no one has seen our backup or the 3rd string guy in action. Right now the back up is a Soph. who pitched for a couple of years in the minor leagues and has an absolute cannon for an arm. Behind him is a transfer from Purdue and the only thing I know of him is that he's pretty quick (think I heard he runs a 4.5-4.6, can't be too sure though).

Our RB depth is absolutely off the charts. We're talking 4 guys who have the talent to start or be a SOLID backup at any 1-AA school in the country. Good balance of size and speed. Kind of like thunder and lighting with multiple versions of each.

I think the Kentucky game will be much like our 2004 game against Baylor. We will hang with them for the vast majority of the ballgame. If our depth is as shallow as some have implied (not saying they are wrong), then we will get worn down late in the game (especially the o-line). But if we don't have the costly mistakes like we did against Baylor and play the type of game we had against A&M, then it will be close in the 4th and I can see us pulling it off.

As for the GSU fan who said we should be demoted to D-II if we don't beat Kentucky....dude...pull your head out of your ass before you speak. That is an asinine comment.

McNeese75
July 23rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
I think we have a reasonable shot at New Mexico State even though they're going to be much improved. I would like to think we can play with Southern Miss, especially our defense versus their offense, but as Cowboy fans know, they're a different animal than the Aggies. If we can stay within a couple of touchdowns of USM I'll feel pretty good about where we are.

You will have your hands full at Southern Miss :nod:

slostang
July 23rd, 2006, 04:38 PM
John,

I'll try to explain why it is UC Davis and NOT Cal Davis. Cal usually refers to state colleges abd universities like- Cal State Sacramento, Cal State Los Anfeles, Cal Sate Fulleron, etc. The requirements to enter these institutions are far lower than those to get into a UC. The UC system is one of the top educational systems in the world. The same cannot be said for Cal state schools. UC Berkeley, which is called California or Cal for short is the "one" exception to the UC who accepts being called Cal. That may be because they were the first UC campus, It would be like calling MIT the University of Mass.
You have the right to be called UC Davis and not Cal Davis. I understand that you would want to correct someone when they get it wrong. My legal name is John and I will correct anyone calling me Johnny or Jonathan.

That being said, you sound a little full of yourself on your justification. You sure would not want someone to think you were a commoner and that you attended a lowly state school. UC Davis is a great school that offers a top notch education and I can see you being proud of that, but it gets tiring listening to you put down state schools. Some of the top engineers, architects, business men (and women), scientist and agriculturalist come out of a state school with comparable requirements that is located on the coast half way between LA and SF.

RabidRabbit
July 23rd, 2006, 04:50 PM
W&M over Maryland.

U MD won't be exactly a powerhouse team this year. If W&M has an A-10 champ team this year, this could be the eye-opening salvo by the Tribe.

Lionsrking
July 23rd, 2006, 07:03 PM
You will have your hands full at Southern Miss :nod:

No question about it but we're good enough on defense to make them work for points, plus they're not an offensive juggernaut as it is. As long as we don't give them scores off turnovers or special teams, I think we'll be in it for four quarters. If we make a lot of the same mistakes we made last year, we'll take our butt kicking and our paycheck and go home.

Go Poly
July 23rd, 2006, 07:27 PM
You have the right to be called UC Davis and not Cal Davis. I understand that you would want to correct someone when they get it wrong. My legal name is John and I will correct anyone calling me Johnny or Jonathan.

That being said, you sound a little full of yourself on your justification. You sure would not want someone to think you were a commoner and that you attended a lowly state school. UC Davis is a great school that offers a top notch education and I can see you being proud of that, but it gets tiring listening to you put down state schools. Some of the top engineers, architects, business men (and women), scientist and agriculturalist come out of a state school with comparable requirements that is located on the coast half way between LA and SF.

I concur! I'm impressed with the talent (at my company) we get from both Cal Poly and UC Davis.:thumbsup:

I-AA Fan
July 23rd, 2006, 09:04 PM
Montana State vs Colorado.

How did I miss that one ...thanks! That one could be very interesting.

Tailbone
July 23rd, 2006, 11:32 PM

Idaho State at Idaho
Idaho State at UNLV
Hofstra at Marshall
Cal Davis at TCU
McNeese State at Toledo

What! No love for the Griz? :smiley_wi

Mr. C
July 23rd, 2006, 11:35 PM

My degree is from one of those Cal State schools (Fresno State) and while I feel I received a very good education (in my field, journalism, Fresno State had one of the best departments in the country), I also understand that requirements to get into the UC system are much more difficult. The community college and Cal State systems are as much about cost and giving more kids a chance to get an education in California as anything else. Just because someone wants their school correctly refered to as UC Davis doesn't mean they are putting down the Cal State schools (unless UC Davis fans are talking about Cal State Sacramento — you can cut them slack about thrashing their arch-rival). Those of us from California know that all of the schools out have much to thump their chests about, particularly Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo. By the way, I've always been under the impression that it is pretty difficult to get into Cal Poly, just like it is to get into any of the UCs.

SochorField
July 24th, 2006, 12:48 AM
You'll never here me bash a "state" school....except Slack State :p

Cal Poly and San Diego State are the most imressive of all of the 19 campuses. Very well respected.

In the end college is what you make of it, wherever you attend :thumbsup:

PantherRob82
July 24th, 2006, 02:35 AM
I'm hoping to see a UNI win over Iowa State. ISU lost 7 starters on defense, but that still is quite the uphill battle. Iowa State was a couple plays away from an undefeated regular season last year.

lucchesicourt
July 24th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I am not intending to bash the state schools. The state schools, excpet for very few do not offer Phd's. San Diego State is one of them that does. Now, if you ask me about the state schools, there are some very good ones and a few not so good. Cal Poly is a great school both academically (Pomona too academically) and athletically. There are a few state schools that are not on a parr with the other state schools. Sac State is not a bad school to get an education. The UC system ALL have to meet higher standards than required by the Stae University system. I am sure being referred to by a name that refers to a different university system would bother most folks. Ask NDSU and UND, would they mind being referred to as either or? I think not. The UC system and the state university system are two different schools.

carney2
July 24th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Lafayette beats Ivy teams (that's plural!) not located in Manhattan and beats Colgate. The obligatory bashing of MountainSquawks would hardly be classified as an upset.

JoshUCA
July 24th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see UCA pull off an upset or two or three or more over some of I-AA schools that we play this season! Just my :twocents:

McNeese75
July 24th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see UCA pull off an upset or two or three or more over some of I-AA schools that we play this season! Just my :twocents:

:D Wanna throw out some specifics here to provide a little bulletin board material for those future victims?? xlolx

Lionsrking
July 24th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Having some familiarity with your program, it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if you pull off an "upset" or two. Three may be a stretch from looking at your schedule but I'm sure you'll be competitive in every game. I'm not sure what you've done to address defense in the off season but from what I saw last year, that's the likely area where you'll have problems in your first year.

BigApp
July 24th, 2006, 04:40 PM
xlolx
Okay, and I answered quoting your spin:The fact I posted:Obviously that is a prime example that my (in your mind) "hatred of Appalachian rears it's ugly head." xlolx :rolleyes: xcoffeex

Are you going to answer now? xlolx xlolx xlolx

As a journalist, I expect that you know the meaning of the term 'spin', maybe we need a little help (from Wikipedia):

"Selectively presenting facts and quotes that support one's position"

You left out pertinent facts (such as the competitiveness of the App/WFU series) to support your position. That, by definition, is 'spin'.

So, I still ask, what part of MY post, you know the one where I gave the REST OF THE STORY, was spin?

LBPop
July 24th, 2006, 05:50 PM
W&M over Maryland.

I have been predicting this since the Maryland spring game. I have some questions about The Tribe:

Do they have some size on the 'D' line?
Do they have at least one tough LB?
Are their DBs smart?Depending on the answers to these questions, here is how W&M wins the game:

Put 8 in the box and dare Maryand to throw. The Terps have excellent RBs, but their QBs are erratic and will likely throw more INTs than TDs.
The Terps have a couple of burners at WR. But the QBs will often fail to get the ball near them. If the W&M DBs are smart, they will give up the underneath stuff and wait for mistakes.
Make them score TDs. The Maryland place kicking is mediocre at best--a real adventure outside of 30 yards. The old "bend, don't break" will work. Their QBs will not sustain drives and they will miss half of their FGs.
The Terps defense has some talented people and a big run stopping DT, but they can be scored on. The key is patience and taking advantage of turnovers.Athletically, this should be no contest, but if I can get 14 points, I know what I will be doing. If I can get 5 to 1 straight up, I will consider that as well. Sorry Ralph, I'm only talking about wagering beers...I promise. ;)

WCU LawCat
July 24th, 2006, 06:49 PM
MARK IT DOWN NOW...EKU over Cincy

WCU should/could have beaten Cincy last year.

IaaScribe
July 24th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Duke will beat Richmond by at least three touchdowns
Maryland will beat William & Mary by two touchdowns
Northwestern will beat New Hampshire by two touchdowns
UNLV will beat Idaho State by at least five touchdowns
Iowa will beat Montana by at least four touchdowns
Kentucky will beat Texas State by at least three touchdowns
N.C. State will beat App ... in a tight game, actually

Sorry to be the party pooper, but I just don't see these upsets happening.

IaaScribe
July 24th, 2006, 07:48 PM
BTW ... not trying to be a jerk here (though I'm sure it sounds like it :) ) ... I just don't see a lot of those upsets coming to fruition.

GaSouthern
July 24th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I disagree iaascribe
Like ANYONE (but maine fans) thought maine would win against a horrible mississippi team last year?

Football is played on a field not paper.

Not to even mention Stanford.

crunifan
July 24th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I think it is time for UNI to beat Iowa State again. It's been a few years since the Panthers showed Ames that the Cyclones are the at the bottom of the Iowa food chain.

Mr. C
July 25th, 2006, 05:44 AM

When was the last time the Dukies beat anyone by three touchdowns? This is a game that Richmond could win. Kentucky isn't a team I'd put that much faith in, either, though Texas State is rebuilding. Kentucky nearly lost a I-AA game last year and Texas State would have beaten Texas A&M, but for some home cooking from the Big 12 refs. The Northwestern-New Hampshire game is a very intriguing matchup. Will Northwestern use the death of its coach as a motivational force, or will it suck all of the energy from this team? New Hampshire can be dangerous when it gets a lead. I see this being an incredibly high-scoring game. NC State might beat App State, but the Wolfpack will have their hands full.

Tribe4SF
July 25th, 2006, 06:44 AM
I have been predicting this since the Maryland spring game. I have some questions about The Tribe:

Do they have some size on the 'D' line?
Do they have at least one tough LB?
Are their DBs smart?Depending on the answers to these questions, here is how W&M wins the game:

Put 8 in the box and dare Maryand to throw. The Terps have excellent RBs, but their QBs are erratic and will likely throw more INTs than TDs.
The Terps have a couple of burners at WR. But the QBs will often fail to get the ball near them. If the W&M DBs are smart, they will give up the underneath stuff and wait for mistakes.
Make them score TDs. The Maryland place kicking is mediocre at best--a real adventure outside of 30 yards. The old "bend, don't break" will work. Their QBs will not sustain drives and they will miss half of their FGs.
The Terps defense has some talented people and a big run stopping DT, but they can be scored on. The key is patience and taking advantage of turnovers.Athletically, this should be no contest, but if I can get 14 points, I know what I will be doing. If I can get 5 to 1 straight up, I will consider that as well. Sorry Ralph, I'm only talking about wagering beers...I promise. ;)

Answers...

1. Yes, there is size on the D-line. Top 4 DTs are 290, 300, 260, 320. Top 4 DEs are 245, 240, 255, 260. All are 6'2" to 6'5". Despite good size, this is a young and untested group. D-line play was not a strength last year.

2. There are 6 tough LBs. Strongest position on the team. Returning leading tackler Josh Rutter, and former All-A10 Chris Ndubueze are both Maryland kids. Big, strong and fast crew. There will be 4 of them on the field in many situations.

3. The CBs are experienced. Three with starting experience. Safety has two with good game experience, but little depth. The secondary has good speed.

The big question for the offense is the line. Last years group played poorly down the stretch. If the level of play doesn't pick up from the Delaware and Richmond games, Jake Phillips will be running for his life. I think the Tribe will need to score at least 35 to have a shot, and that's probably a stretch.

IaaScribe
July 25th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Mr. C ... Duke beat VMI by three touchdowns last year. Not exactly a powerhouse, I know. I just get a feeling that Richmond is not going to replicate its run of last year. I think the Spiders will fall back into 5-6 range, kind of like W&M did last year. (Though I think W&M will be much improved this year, as will JMU).

You going to be in Charlotte Friday for Big South media day?

McNeese75
July 25th, 2006, 09:28 AM

I don't mean to slight our SLC Brethern but I have to agree, I do not see Tx State beating an SEC team this year irregardless of how bad Kentucky was last year. The scholarship difference, home field and lack of the big play maker at QB will probably take its toll in this game for the Bobcats.

But then again, on any given Saturday :eek:

And for the same reasons stated above, I see the Cowboy's chances at USF and Toledo as definite uphill battles as well (but maybe not as much as Kentucky)

Linehawg
July 25th, 2006, 09:46 AM
With a new coach and staff, the conditions are right for a new kind of football at VMI. I think the KeyDets will surprise a lot of people either this year or next (JMU. Coastal, Wm & Mary, Richmond?) and the word "upset" will likely be attached. Until I actually see what they do on the field, let's just call this cautious optimism.

Grizzaholic
July 25th, 2006, 10:57 AM

I think the Iowa game will be closer than everybody thinks. I am NOT saying we will win but it could come down to penalties and a late TO.

eagle1
July 25th, 2006, 12:43 PM
How about the Eagles over Oregon State?

I think the Eags will upset Montana at home this year. Go Eagles!!!

JMU Duke Dog
July 25th, 2006, 12:45 PM
With a new coach and staff, the conditions are right for a new kind of football at VMI. I think the KeyDets will surprise a lot of people either this year or next (JMU. Coastal, Wm & Mary, Richmond?) and the word "upset" will likely be attached. Until I actually see what they do on the field, let's just call this cautious optimism.

VMI almost upset Lehigh last season so I believe that Coastal Carolina could be upset by the Keydets in 2006; however, I do not think VMI has what it takes yet to upset the Virginia A10 trio of JMU, Richmond, and W&M in 2006.

Shockerman
July 25th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Heres a vote for NDSU over Ball State in a squeaker. The folks in Fargo are seriously pumped about their Football and may have more fans at the game than Ball State.

ASU Kep
July 25th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Elon def. Georgia Southern. Badly.

LBPop
July 25th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Answers...

1. Yes, there is size on the D-line. Top 4 DTs are 290, 300, 260, 320. Top 4 DEs are 245, 240, 255, 260. All are 6'2" to 6'5". Despite good size, this is a young and untested group. D-line play was not a strength last year.

2. There are 6 tough LBs. Strongest position on the team. Returning leading tackler Josh Rutter, and former All-A10 Chris Ndubueze are both Maryland kids. Big, strong and fast crew. There will be 4 of them on the field in many situations.

3. The CBs are experienced. Three with starting experience. Safety has two with good game experience, but little depth. The secondary has good speed.

The big question for the offense is the line. Last years group played poorly down the stretch. If the level of play doesn't pick up from the Delaware and Richmond games, Jake Phillips will be running for his life. I think the Tribe will need to score at least 35 to have a shot, and that's probably a stretch.

Without making this a treatise on MD vs. W&M, from your analysis I would say the following:

Maryland will be able to run the ball--that's their strength and W&M may be vulnerable there. The LBs will need to have a big day.
Maryland will have difficulty throwing. Never mind the speed thing, W&M will not come close to matching that. But if they're smart, they might get some gifts from the Maryland OBs.
For W&M to score, they will need to convert turnovers. The Maryland run defense should be tough, but a quick 30 yard TD pass or two after a few Maryland turnovers could keep W&M in the game.Clearly, Maryland should be heavily favored--that's why a W&M win would be considered an upset. With the Terps' recent history of starting out slowly and the other factors I have mentioned, I think the Tribe has a real chance.

crunifan
July 25th, 2006, 02:08 PM
I think the Iowa game will be closer than everybody thinks. I am NOT saying we will win but it could come down to penalties and a late TO.

Iowa beat the national runner-up UNI last year 45-21 on a "down" year. You think the Griz are going to be so close that it comes down to a penalty or late TO?

As much as I would like to see Iowa lose, it just isn't going to happen.

Cap'n Cat
July 25th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Iowa beat the national runner-up UNI last year 45-21 on a "down" year. You think the Griz are going to be so close that it comes down to a penalty or late TO?

As much as I would like to see Iowa lose, it just isn't going to happen.

No *****. Iowa by at least 28.

Lot of overinflated self-importance out yonder...............

NoDak 4 Ever
July 25th, 2006, 02:25 PM
NDSU beats Minnesota.

Hey, you never know...

That would almost be worth getting beat up on my way out of the Metrodome.

What am I saying? Gopher fans only care about hockey.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 25th, 2006, 02:27 PM
By the way, since everyone else is going to beat Georgia Southern, better put the Bison on that list too!

GeauxColonels
July 25th, 2006, 02:29 PM
By the way, since everyone else is going to beat Georgia Southern, better put the Bison on that list too!
Yeah, put the Colonels on that list too. I know, I know, we're not on each other's schedules....but that doesn't MATTER! :D :D :D

That's why we have playoffs! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Grizzaholic
July 25th, 2006, 02:52 PM
No *****. Iowa by at least 28.

Lot of overinflated self-importance out yonder...............

I didn't mean it that way. I meant if we don't turn the ball over and have near to nothing in penalties, it could come down to the 4th quarter. But I don't think it will be 28 points ( or 45 like others think it will be ).

I will try and put more of what I am thinking down from now instead of short handing it.

Cap'n Cat
July 25th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I didn't mean it that way. I meant if we don't turn the ball over and have near to nothing in penalties, it could come down to the 4th quarter. But I don't think it will be 28 points ( or 45 like others think it will be ).

I will try and put more of what I am thinking down from now instead of short handing it.

Hey, Grizzaholly - it ain't you. There's plenty of posters here who subscribe to the "sun rising and setting on Missoula" thing. You'll see who they are.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

CrunchGriz
July 25th, 2006, 03:32 PM

My thinking on the Iowa game is that:

1. As much as I'd love to see an earth-shaking upset, the Griz are going to lose;

2. The point spread is hard to predict, but just basing it on the Oregon game last year, and considering the fact that Oregon 2005 and Iowa 2006 are comparable quality teams (which I think they are), Montana should keep the final score a bit closer this year because, frankly, the Griz couldn't pass their way out of a paper bag at times last year, and many are predicting that the Griz passing game is going to be much better than 2005's with the addition of Josh Swogger and Craig Chambers, and the maturation of a very young receiver corps. They lost to Oregon by 33 last year, so I'm guessing about 24 points this year--final score: 45-21. (And yeah, I know that it's a completely different match-up against different styles of offense and defense--there's a good probability that Iowa will just run the ball down the Grizzlies' throats all day with Young being at least a nominal Heisman candidate and having a great running attack in general, and Montana's recent troubles stopping run-heavy teams.)

So I guess I'm forecasting a score very similar to UNI's last year against the Hawkeyes--which means that I'm thinking that the Griz will be similar in quality to last year's UNI team--not that far out of line, if you look at the preseason poll rankings, which all have the Griz very near the top of the board.

Tailbone
July 25th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Hey, Grizzaholly - it ain't you. There's plenty of posters here who subscribe to the "sun rising and setting on Missoula" thing. You'll see who they are.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Funny thing is.....

Yesterday I got up at around 6:05 am and looked out my window, and again at about 9:15 pm.

guess what?.....sure as *****...the sun rose and set on Missoula! :D

Cap'n Cat
July 25th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Funny thing is.....

Yesterday I got up at around 6:05 am and looked out my window, and again at about 9:15 pm.

guess what?.....sure as *****...the sun rose and set on Missoula! :D

;) ;) ;) ;)

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

SochorField
July 25th, 2006, 09:22 PM
How about the Eagles over Oregon State?

I thought EWU would beat San Jose State last year. Since Oregon State is a stronger program than San Jose State, I wont put my money on Eastern Washington this year.

CrunchGriz
July 26th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I thought EWU would beat San Jose State last year. Since Oregon State is a stronger program than San Jose State, I wont put my money on Eastern Washington this year.

Not to mention that, although EWU has built a good program over the last few years, the Eagles are losing their Payton-winning QB, All-American WR, and virtually their entire receiver corps.

EWU is generally forecast to be down this year--the Beavers will be mid- to lower-Pac10 (despite losing the amazing Mike Hass), but still better than San Jose State.

EWU may surprise this year, but I put them at a year or so out to be back in the thick of conference/playoff races.

Grizzaholic
July 26th, 2006, 10:44 AM
My thinking on the Iowa game is that:

1. As much as I'd love to see an earth-shaking upset, the Griz are going to lose;

2. The point spread is hard to predict, but just basing it on the Oregon game last year, and considering the fact that Oregon 2005 and Iowa 2006 are comparable quality teams (which I think they are), Montana should keep the final score a bit closer this year because, frankly, the Griz couldn't pass their way out of a paper bag at times last year, and many are predicting that the Griz passing game is going to be much better than 2005's with the addition of Josh Swogger and Craig Chambers, and the maturation of a very young receiver corps. They lost to Oregon by 33 last year, so I'm guessing about 24 points this year--final score: 45-21. (And yeah, I know that it's a completely different match-up against different styles of offense and defense--there's a good probability that Iowa will just run the ball down the Grizzlies' throats all day with Young being at least a nominal Heisman candidate and having a great running attack in general, and Montana's recent troubles stopping run-heavy teams.)

So I guess I'm forecasting a score very similar to UNI's last year against the Hawkeyes--which means that I'm thinking that the Griz will be similar in quality to last year's UNI team--not that far out of line, if you look at the preseason poll rankings, which all have the Griz very near the top of the board.

We also couldn't punt the ball more than 20 yards on more than one occasion (sp) in the Oregon game last year, giving them superior field position for most of the game.

Lionsrking
July 26th, 2006, 01:01 PM

You guys have at least a decent chance at SMU. We easily could have beaten Tulane (probably should have) last year and Tulane stomped SMU. Not that it means much comparing scores but I don't think the talent disparity will be all that great. If circumstances are right, you can pull out the win.

blackfordpu
July 26th, 2006, 05:21 PM

Until we settle on a QB I am not too confident about our passing game. We have many choices, I just hope TW makes the right one.

JohnStOnge
July 26th, 2006, 06:48 PM
What! No love for the Griz? :smiley_wi

Montana's playing Iowa. If the Griz were playing any of the I-A schools that appear on the list I posted that game would be on the list.

CrunchGriz
July 26th, 2006, 06:57 PM
We also couldn't punt the ball more than 20 yards on more than one occasion (sp) in the Oregon game last year, giving them superior field position for most of the game.

True, dat. It was certainly hard to watch Tyson have his worst day punting at one of the most inopportune times (although I also still have flashbacks to his performance against PSU in '04, when two punts went less than 10 yards combined--hey, I was at that game, too...maybe it's me!).

JohnStOnge
July 26th, 2006, 07:01 PM

Don't quite get the respect level for UNLV. To me that looks like a program vulnerable to a I-AA loss. It's had two 2-9 seasons in a row. Could be there will be a big turnaround but I think the media over there picked them 8th in the MWC going into 2006.

JohnStOnge
July 26th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Didn't Toledo go to a bowl game last season?

Toledo beat UTEP 45-13 in the GMAC Bowl. But they did lose their dominant quarterback. McNeese is sandwiched between Kansas and Pittsburgh on Toledo's schedule (with Kansas being a home game for the Rockets) and I'm hoping that has an effect.

Grizzaholic
July 27th, 2006, 11:12 AM
True, dat. It was certainly hard to watch Tyson have his worst day punting at one of the most inopportune times (although I also still have flashbacks to his performance against PSU in '04, when two punts went less than 10 yards combined--hey, I was at that game, too...maybe it's me!).

You aren't going to IOWA too, are ya?