PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 9-8

JALMOND
September 6th, 2012, 01:08 AM
After one week, I am at 12-1, having not realized last week that EWU can beat Idaho, even with a subpar effort. This week, I want perfection so here are the predictions for the conference members. As I stated last week, Big Sky schools are initialed while non-Big Sky schools are spelled out, which is why this week, UNLV and BYU will show up in non-abbreviated form. Have at them.

EWU at Washington State---After the aforementioned win last week in Idaho, the Eagles head back down south to play the Pac-12's Washington State squad. Can they get a second win over the FBS? Maybe, maybe not...Washington State 28, EWU 24.

Black Hills State at ISU---Last week, the Bengals found out they can pass with anyone. The problem is that they can't stop anyone. But then again, last week was Air Force. This week it is a hapless DII team...ISU 42, Black Hills State 17.

UM at Appalachian State---The Grizzlies looked impressive with their win last week at home against a game South Dakota team. Now, the Grizzlies are the hunted as they head across the country to a place equally as difficult to win as their own home...Appalachian State 38, UM 24.

MSU at Drake---The Bobcats avenged the upset from a few years ago with a sound win over Chadron State. Now they go on the road to face Pioneer Conference Drake. Should be easy, but strange things happen on the road...MSU 31, Drake 18.

NAU at Nevada Las Vegas---Seems like old times with Bobby Hauck's team facing Jerome Souers team. Only problem is the Jacks got bit by the injury bug last week against Arizona State (and got stomped as well). Can it get better for the Jacks...Nevada Las Vegas 31, NAU 10.

Mesa State College at UNC---The Bears actually looked halfway decent at times last week at the Pac-12 team, Utah. With this game, they get a great opportunity to get their first win in two years. But it won't be easy...UNC 17, Mesa State College 10.

PSU at UND---The first game of the year that two conference members play each other but because of the quirkiness of the schedule, it is considered non conference. The former Sioux blitzed South Dakota Mines, but lost their top quarterback. The Vikings held off NAIA power Carroll College, but lost their kicker...UND 28, PSU 20.

Sac State at Colorado---The Hornets thought they had a shot last week for an upset against soon to be independent New Mexico State. Now they play the Pac-12's Colorado team. The Hornets did win their last game against the Pac-12, but that will come to an end...Colorado 31, Sac State 20.

SUU at California--- The Thunderbirds got smoked by the FBS Utah State in a game that their quarterback looked very ordinary. They now have to try to get on track against the Pac-12, namely California...California 42, SUU 12.

UCD at San Jose State---Guess what, the Aggies showed last week against DII's Azusa Pacific that they may actually have an offense to go with that defense. Is it true? This week, they go against San Jose State, who gave Stanford all they could handle...San Jose State 35, UCD 17.

WSU at Brigham Young---Did the Wildcats really stay close to Fresno State, or were they just being played. Either way, it looked good for the Wildcats for a little over a half. They will need a complete game to stay with Brigham Young...Brigham Young 31, WSU 21.

Squealofthepig
September 6th, 2012, 02:09 AM
EWU at Washington State---Given their last games, I see this as a close one, but WSU pulls it out by under five.

Black Hills State at ISU---Idaho State has a better program than most given them credit for - I see this as a moderate two to three touchdown blowout with a lot of experience for the second/third strings.

UM at Appalachian State---I liked the Griz I saw in the second half last weekend - but I don't see them winning at the Rock in what should be a very loud game; I look for the Mountaineers to avenge Armanti Edwards' last game (a loss here in Missoula) by two touchdowns.

MSU at Drake--Even as a Griz fan, I can't see the Cats losing this one, and would be surprised by anything less than a 20 point win.

NAU at Nevada Las Vegas--Oh, Hauck, have one of your very, very few victories at UNLV, but you'll have to earn it versus the Lumberjacks.

Mesa State College at UNC--I really like UNC's coach. There, I said it. Even as bad as their program has been recently, the Bears have been competitive, and they should pull this one out convincingly.

PSU at UND--A toss-up game for me, between two teams that were both Heckyll & Jyde last year. I think the Vikings escape with a very narrow victory, but I expect UND [name tbd later] to upset someone big this year.

Sac State at Colorado--Did anyone watch the Colorado game last week? I watched part of it, and it was vintage current-PAC-12. I'll take the Hornets by ten. This probably is a wrong choice, but outside of Oregon and USC, the rest of the current PAC 12 probably would not be competitive in the CAA or MVC.

SUU at California--Similarly inconsistent last year - but the Bears right the ship here.

UCD at San Jose State--Gotta go with the... Sharks? They're sharks, right? Oh, they're Spartans. Really? Spartans. Whatever.

WSU at Brigham Young - Weber will be more competitive than WSU was last weekend, but I still see BYU sweeping the WSU's they face this year.

darell1976
September 6th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I picked all the home teams except Montana State.

wapiti
September 6th, 2012, 09:32 AM
EWU 20 at Washington State 38---Wazzu is a couple of steps up for EWU from last week. Plus Wazzu has Mike Leach as head coach. As much as I would like to see EWU win this, they won't.

Black Hills State 10 at ISU 39---ISU did ok against Air Force. They appeared to be improved.

UM 17 at Appalachian State 32--- The Griz did ok last week against the Yotes. not overly impressive, but enough to win. Which is often what they excel at. (Just enough to win.) But App state is also good at winning and is at home, plus the off field issues against the griz.

MSU 36 at Drake 24---I see several predictions have picked da Cat's to win easily. But Drake is at home and I see it possibly being close.

NAU 27 at Nevada Las Vegas 24 OT--- If I remember right SUU stomped UNLV last year. Has UNLV improved from last year or will this be Hauck's last year. This could be a close game and could go either way.

Mesa State College 13 at UNC 33--- UNC has a pasty on the schedule and should get the W.

PSU 17 at UND 21---This one is a tough pick for me to make. PSU showed improvement last year and I expect more of that this year. I do not know much about UND and how good they may or may not be. They did do well in the Great West last year. So I pick the home team.

Sac State 16 at Colorado 42---I thought Sac had a chance against New Mexico State last week, but they were soundly beat. I see Colorado as a step up in competition and another loss for Sac.

SUU 17 at California 52--- Taking on a big BCS FBS team will most likely result in a big L.

UCD 10 at San Jose State 36--- UCD struggled last year. They are probably improved from that, but this FBS will hand them a L.

WSU 14 at Brigham Young 36---And yet another FBS on the Big Sky schedule this week and another L. BBQ did ok against an FBS last week, but it will be another loss this week too.

wapiti
September 7th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I see that The Sports Network has predicted EWU to beat Wazzu.
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4527386

JALMOND
September 9th, 2012, 01:05 AM
After one week, I am at 12-1, having not realized last week that EWU can beat Idaho, even with a subpar effort. This week, I want perfection so here are the predictions for the conference members. As I stated last week, Big Sky schools are initialed while non-Big Sky schools are spelled out, which is why this week, UNLV and BYU will show up in non-abbreviated form. Have at them.

EWU at Washington State---After the aforementioned win last week in Idaho, the Eagles head back down south to play the Pac-12's Washington State squad. Can they get a second win over the FBS? Maybe, maybe not...Washington State 28, EWU 24.

Black Hills State at ISU---Last week, the Bengals found out they can pass with anyone. The problem is that they can't stop anyone. But then again, last week was Air Force. This week it is a hapless DII team...ISU 42, Black Hills State 17.

UM at Appalachian State---The Grizzlies looked impressive with their win last week at home against a game South Dakota team. Now, the Grizzlies are the hunted as they head across the country to a place equally as difficult to win as their own home...Appalachian State 38, UM 24.

MSU at Drake---The Bobcats avenged the upset from a few years ago with a sound win over Chadron State. Now they go on the road to face Pioneer Conference Drake. Should be easy, but strange things happen on the road...MSU 31, Drake 18.

NAU at Nevada Las Vegas---Seems like old times with Bobby Hauck's team facing Jerome Souers team. Only problem is the Jacks got bit by the injury bug last week against Arizona State (and got stomped as well). Can it get better for the Jacks...Nevada Las Vegas 31, NAU 10.

Mesa State College at UNC---The Bears actually looked halfway decent at times last week at the Pac-12 team, Utah. With this game, they get a great opportunity to get their first win in two years. But it won't be easy...UNC 17, Mesa State College 10.

PSU at UND---The first game of the year that two conference members play each other but because of the quirkiness of the schedule, it is considered non conference. The former Sioux blitzed South Dakota Mines, but lost their top quarterback. The Vikings held off NAIA power Carroll College, but lost their kicker...UND 28, PSU 20.

Sac State at Colorado---The Hornets thought they had a shot last week for an upset against soon to be independent New Mexico State. Now they play the Pac-12's Colorado team. The Hornets did win their last game against the Pac-12, but that will come to an end...Colorado 31, Sac State 20.

SUU at California--- The Thunderbirds got smoked by the FBS Utah State in a game that their quarterback looked very ordinary. They now have to try to get on track against the Pac-12, namely California...California 42, SUU 12.

UCD at San Jose State---Guess what, the Aggies showed last week against DII's Azusa Pacific that they may actually have an offense to go with that defense. Is it true? This week, they go against San Jose State, who gave Stanford all they could handle...San Jose State 35, UCD 17.

WSU at Brigham Young---Did the Wildcats really stay close to Fresno State, or were they just being played. Either way, it looked good for the Wildcats for a little over a half. They will need a complete game to stay with Brigham Young...Brigham Young 31, WSU 21.

9-2 this week, moves me to 21-3 overall. Playing it close to the vest and missed the 2 upsets by NAU and Sac State. Incidently, the Hornets win means the Big Sky ended up with a better record today against the Pac-12 (1-2) than the Big 10 (0-3). Wisconsin (Oregon State), Nebraska (UCLA) and Illinois (Arizona State) all lost. Sac State (Colorado) won, EWU (Washington State) should have won and SUU (California) could have won.