View Full Version : Ivy League Schedules 2014

DFW HOYA
September 5th, 2012, 11:18 PM
14 of 24 Ivy games in 2014 to the Patriot, but only 4 combined to Lafayette, Lehigh, and Bucknell. Strange to see the Leopards with as many as Jacksonville.

Holy Cross: 3 (Brown, Harvard, Dartmouth)
Colgate: 3 (Cornell, Princeton, Yale)

Fordham: 2 (Columbia, Penn)
Georgetown: 2 (Harvard, Brown)
Lehigh: 2 (Cornell, Yale)

Albany: 1 (Columbia)
Army: 1 (Yale)
Bucknell: 1 (Cornell)
Central Connecticut: 1 (Dartmouth)
Davidson: 1 (Princeton)
Jacksonville: 1 (Penn)
Lafayette: 1 (Harvard)
Monmouth: 1 (Columbia)
New Hampshire: 1 (Dartmouth)
Rhode Island : 1 (Brown)
San Diego: 1 (Princeton)
Villanova: 1 (Penn)

http://static.psbin.com/3/2/05r4ciu7k3s7ls/12fbguide-Intro.pdf

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2012, 11:29 PM
I don't understand why Lehigh can't get a game with Penn. It's also dissapointing to see the Harvard series go on an extended hiatus. Lehigh has had the Crimsons number the last decade or so.

RichH2
September 5th, 2012, 11:42 PM
OWL Penn abruptly dropped.us unlikely we will play them again as long as Joe the AD

Go...gate
September 6th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Thanks for posting, DFW Hoya.

bonarae
September 6th, 2012, 03:40 AM
It is implied that we need fresh faces (teams, players, coaches) on our stadiums. It's about time that we should diversify, but it's not in the immediate future plans of the ADs and the coaches. xsighx

aceinthehole
September 6th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the info.

Nice to see CCSU get another Ivy opponent. Wonder if Big Green will return the game to New Britian in 2015, or if this is just another 1 and done like our game vs. Columbia.

Also, would love to have Yale take us up on our offer to play anytime at the Yale Bowl :)

Pard4Life
September 6th, 2012, 07:13 AM
That's odd... Yale lists 9/20/2014 as opening with Lehigh. Our media guide lists the date as opening at Yale. It was listed last year as well.

Our other OOCs are Wagner, RMU, and Harvard, with one more game needed.

Rumor has it we are trying to get a game at Jacksonville at some point, but I'd rather just schedule Penn or Princeton.

Pard4Life
September 6th, 2012, 07:15 AM
14 of 24 Ivy games in 2014 to the Patriot, but only 4 combined to Lafayette, Lehigh, and Bucknell. Strange to see the Leopards with as many as Jacksonville.

You can't quite exactly say Penn is going soft... 2013 OOC is Lafayette, Villanova, and W&M.

van
September 6th, 2012, 09:18 AM
You can't quite exactly say Penn is going soft... 2013 OOC is Lafayette, Villanova, and W&M.

My take is that Penn aspires for bigger things in football, like FCS playoffs for example. They are mired in the H-Y-P snobbery.

bonarae
September 6th, 2012, 09:21 AM
My take is that Penn aspires for bigger things in football, like FCS playoffs for example. They are mired in the H-Y-P snobbery.

Which is unfortunately true, the snobbery is the true roadblock to Ivy football progress. xnonono2x

aceinthehole
September 6th, 2012, 09:56 AM

Also, Monmouth has game with Columbia in 2014 - the back end of a 2-game home/home series.

Bogus Megapardus
September 6th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Lafayette's Media Guide shows the Leopards playing Harvard and Yale in 2014 (with one available date) and Princeton and Harvard in 2015 (with one available date). I would suspect that Penn will be shoe-horned into one or both schedules by moving one of the NEC games earlier.

Pard4Life
September 6th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Wow Bogie... we make fun of Lehigh for identity issues... take a look at W&M's history: http://www.wm.edu/about/mascot/background/history/index.php

MplsBison
September 6th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I can't help but think that the only reason the Ivy League is in I-AA is because I-A requires a minimum scholarship level.

Otherwise, they would fit much better in I-A. I could easily see the regular season winner in of the Ivy League going to a bowl game vs. a team like Stanford, Northwestern, Rice, Duke, Army, Navy, etc.

DFW HOYA
September 6th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Lafayette's Media Guide shows the Leopards playing Harvard and Yale in 2014 (with one available date) and Princeton and Harvard in 2015 (with one available date). I would suspect that Penn will be shoe-horned into one or both schedules by moving one of the NEC games earlier.

The LC media guide has Lafayette at Yale on 9/20/2014. The Ivy guide has Lehigh at Yale on that same date. Typo, or scheduling conflict?

MplsBison
September 6th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Yale AD "wait...Lehigh and Lafayette are different schools?? ....Whoopsie!!!"

Pard4Life
September 6th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I can't help but think that the only reason the Ivy League is in I-AA is because I-A requires a minimum scholarship level.

Otherwise, they would fit much better in I-A. I could easily see the regular season winner in of the Ivy League going to a bowl game vs. a team like Stanford, Northwestern, Rice, Duke, Army, Navy, etc.

The real issue was stadium capacity and attendance. Only Harvard, Yale, Penn, and Princeton when they are not terrible satisfy the requirement. The bowl idea doesn't seem that far-fetched.

UAalum72
September 6th, 2012, 12:16 PM

Only three or four of them met the attendance requirements in 1981. Y-H-Pr-Pe probably could have stayed I-A but would have had to break up the league. They chose not to.

Sure they'd play THOSE schools (Ivy and Patriot are always talking about THEM). They'd be horrified if they had to play a bowl game against somebody like (no offense) Arkansas State or Akron.

MplsBison
September 6th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Of course, but conferences control bowl games. Or they could even decide not to participate in the BCS or whatever the entity that administers the I-A post season re-names itself in 2014.

It's not like the Ivy winner would ever be ranked in the top 12, so they wouldn't have to worry about getting placed in a big time bowl game. Then the Ivy bowl game would always have the Ivy winner in one slot and would get to pick among bowl eligible teams for the other slot. If no team like Rice was available, then surely another Ivy team would have at least 6 wins and could fill in the other slot.

Or perhaps they simply would hold a championship game. So many different things they could do in I-A.

I think the NCAA should consider granting them an exception to the scholarship minimum. Every football player gets his school paid for anyway, it's just like at Army or Navy.

MplsBison
September 6th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Yep, they kicked us out a few years after they split the subdivisions over attendance requirements. But realistically, we've never played in bowl games, against anybody. And nowadays we don't even dream of being strong enough to compete at the FBS level. Honestly, our football feels more and more like a club sport, and I could see it turning into a varsity sport outside the NCAA, like beach volleyball or boxing or competitive skydiving, as it gets more and more isolated from the rest of FCS.

It essentially is that way now!

So then, why keep it as an official varsity sport? Why not take it club level? What's the advantage?

MplsBison
September 6th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I-AA should be for those schools who have DI basketball and want something close to top level of football.

There should be something else for all the other schools who are pigeonholed into I-AA by the DI basketball requirement. I've always thought that.

DFW HOYA
September 6th, 2012, 01:17 PM
It essentially is that way now!

So then, why keep it as an official varsity sport? Why not take it club level? What's the advantage?

Yale finished fourth in I-AA attendance last year...yes, even more than ND State.

Princeton averaged only 7,194 but a 1-9 season will do that. Princeton has one of the best stadia anywhere and they can do better...hoping for a big crowd in two weeks when the Tigers and Hoyas are on national TV.

http://www.pustore.com/assets/product_images/PAMOACNNOHOHGGKA.jpg

MplsBison
September 6th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Yale finished fourth in I-AA attendance last year...yes, even more than ND State.

Princeton averaged only 7,194 but a 1-9 season will do that. Princeton has one of the best stadia anywhere and they can do better...hoping for a big crowd in two weeks when the Tigers and Hoyas are on national TV.

I knew that already and I don't deny it at all.

I'm questioning why they wouldn't still get that attendance as a club sport? The coaches would be the same, the players the same, same stadiums, same teams, same uniforms, helmets and the same footballs would be used.

Are people all of a sudden not going to come because it's no longer an NCAA sport? If so, why? They'd be doing everything exactly the same. They just wouldn't have that little NCAA decal on the back of the helmets. That's about it.

DFW HOYA
September 6th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I'm questioning why they wouldn't still get that attendance as a club sport? Are people all of a sudden not going to come because it's no longer an NCAA sport? If so, why?

Princeton varsity football (NCAA) averaged 7,194 a game.
Princeton sprint football (non-NCAA) averaged 320 a game.

https://admin.xosn.com/fls/10600/statistics/sprint/2011/teamcume.htm

MplsBison
September 6th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Princeton varsity football (NCAA) averaged 7,194 a game.
Princeton sprint football (non-NCAA) averaged 320 a game.

https://admin.xosn.com/fls/10600/statistics/sprint/2011/teamcume.htm

Come on. Your grandmother knows that sprint football is not the same thing as "the" football team.

Are you going to try giving a real answer?

I don't see this conversation ever taking place:

"Are you going to the Harvard-Yale game this year?"

"No...you know, I just lost all interest in that football game ever since those teams left the NCAA. I know it's the same players and the same coach and everything is exactly the same...I just need that NCAA decal on the helmets to make it real for me."

Pard4Life
September 6th, 2012, 02:11 PM
It's simple... they play the Ivy prestige card. Winning the Ivy League is how they sell recruits. They can't play for a national title. If the Patriot League took this approach, we'd be toast. I think it's simply because the Ivy is the Ivy.

van
September 6th, 2012, 02:18 PM
It's simple... they play the Ivy prestige card. Winning the Ivy League is how they sell recruits. They can't play for a national title. If the Patriot League took this approach, we'd be toast. I think it's simply because the Ivy is the Ivy.

Correct, the Ivy is a special case, unlike anything else, and they intend to keep it that way. More power to them. Just wish they would bend a little and join the playoffs.

Ivytalk
September 6th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Which is unfortunately true, the snobbery is the true roadblock to Ivy football progress. xnonono2x

I don't buy that. I've never seen any evidence of a "snobbish" conspiracy by the Big 3 to keep the other 5 Ivy schools out of the playoffs. I do agree that it's a mindset of certain Ivy presidents that needs to change, and Harvard's Faust appears to be one of them. And Coach Murphy, as successful as he's been, appears to be in no great hurry to enter the playoffs, either.xtwocentsx

DFW HOYA
September 6th, 2012, 03:17 PM
It's simple... they play the Ivy prestige card. Winning the Ivy League is how they sell recruits. They can't play for a national title. If the Patriot League took this approach, we'd be toast.

And yet, the PL did not participate in the playoffs for many years, and it endured. So did the NEC. So did the Pioneer. (The MAAC, not so much, but playoffs were not its downfall.)

The national title is not driving recruiting at most schools. Only 53 I-AA schools have ever had more than one playoff appearance, and 46 have had none at all. How many Keydets arrive at VMI to play for a national title? How many Rhode Island or Idaho State players were even alive the last time their school made the playoffs? (Answer: none). If you're applying to Georgetown just to play in Frisco in January, it's a long road up that hill.

The Ivy has its priorities in order. They may not be everyone's priorities, but recruits know that going in.

Ivytalk
September 6th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I don't understand why Lehigh can't get a game with Penn. It's also dissapointing to see the Harvard series go on an extended hiatus. Lehigh has had the Crimsons number the last decade or so.

Actually, Harvard is 8-8 all-time against Lehigh and won 3 of the last 5 games in the series. That said, it was usually a close contest, and I'm sorry to see the series end.

carney2
September 6th, 2012, 04:03 PM

Monmouth: 1 (Columbia)

The Lafayette advance schedule for 2014 shows 2 Ivy games:

9/20 @ Yale
10/18 @ Harvard

Next year (2013), on the other hand, is a stroll through Nobel Prize land:

William & Mary
@ Penn
Yale
@ Princeton
@ Harvard

Gordon Shumway
September 6th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I am thrilled to have Dartmouth back on the schedule after a short hiatus, even if it is only for the last two years it will likely ever be played. It is a shame the only two D1 schools in the state won't be playing. I guess last winning a game in this series in 1976 takes its toll.:D

bluehenbillk
September 6th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Don't know if it's 2013 or 2014 but Delaware will host Cornell one of those years.

bulldog10jw
September 6th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I don't buy that. I've never seen any evidence of a "snobbish" conspiracy by the Big 3 to keep the other 5 Ivy schools out of the playoffs. I do agree that it's a mindset of certain Ivy presidents that needs to change, and Harvard's Faust appears to be one of them. And Coach Murphy, as successful as he's been, appears to be in no great hurry to enter the playoffs, either.xtwocentsx

Levin is stepping down at Yale. Hopefully, a Kingman Brewster type, more friendly to athletics, will take his place. Levin didn't even know how to get to the Yale Bowl.

bonarae
September 6th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Honestly, our football feels more and more like a club sport, and I could see it turning into a varsity sport outside the NCAA, like beach volleyball or boxing or competitive skydiving, as it gets more and more isolated from the rest of FCS.

Yes, such that it is the case with the NESCAC. They are isolated from the DIII by only playing conference games but those that do play for Salem (MIT is one of them; they play in the NEFC), among others, accept them as their brethren.

I-AA should be for those schools who have DI basketball and want something close to top level of football.

There should be something else for all the other schools who are pigeonholed into I-AA by the DI basketball requirement. I've always thought that.

I was thinking of this too... but I don't know how we can convince the NCAA to reclassify the schools once again.

See my comment about NESCAC in this post (first quoted thread). Why the players in those schools still play football? The academic prestige of the schools is what attracted them.

Correct, the Ivy is a special case, unlike anything else, and they intend to keep it that way. More power to them. Just wish they would bend a little and join the playoffs.

They should bend a little. xprayx

And yet, the PL did not participate in the playoffs for many years, and it endured. So did the NEC. So did the Pioneer. (The MAAC, not so much, but playoffs were not its downfall.)

The national title is not driving recruiting at most schools. Only 53 I-AA schools have ever had more than one playoff appearance, and 46 have had none at all. How many Keydets arrive at VMI to play for a national title? How many Rhode Island or Idaho State players were even alive the last time their school made the playoffs? (Answer: none). If you're applying to Georgetown just to play in Frisco in January, it's a long road up that hill.

The Ivy has its priorities in order. They may not be everyone's priorities, but recruits know that going in.

Right. I got the point after all.