PDA

View Full Version : My own Colgate scoreboard pictures

colgate13
July 19th, 2006, 07:19 PM
I finally got uploaded to my blog some personal Colgate scoreboard pics that I took last weekend when in Hamilton. They're up on The 13 Yard Line (http://colgate13.blogspot.com) now, but here's a preview.

TheValleyRaider
July 19th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I like, a lot :nod:

Especially the shot of the Crescent with the scoreboard, as the one where it's hidden from behind by the trees. My worst fear was that it would be too gaudy for the surroundings, but a very good job done with blending it in with the stadium as it already exists. I also like how there's space for more "Playoffs" and PL Title Years :D Perhaps the athletics website gets a new picture for Andy Kerr in the near future.

I have to say though, the scoreboard at Van Doren doesn't really do anything for me. That one really seems like they kept the old design, but tacked on some ads. :twocents:

Fordham
July 19th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Birnie's Bus Service ... dependable or no?

ngineer
July 19th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I like the "arch rivals" logo....:D

Go...gate
July 19th, 2006, 09:17 PM
13, I left a question about this on the VoyForums as well - has the chain link fence which surrounded the track and FB field been removed?

colgate13
July 19th, 2006, 09:41 PM
13, I left a question about this on the VoyForums as well - has the chain link fence which surrounded the track and FB field been removed?

I believe that was removed a few years back and replaced by the iron fence.

colgate13
July 19th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Birnie's Bus Service ... dependable or no?

Very. That's who Colgate uses to travel.

ngineer
July 19th, 2006, 10:01 PM

I thought they used Nanook's Dog Sleds....:D

SoCon48
July 20th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Great billboard for advertising. Might cause a little eyestrain seeing the scores, though.
Colgate's colors with the classic collegiate lettering.

Umass74
July 20th, 2006, 07:06 AM
I like it. Like the rushing-passing totals. That would be cool to know during the game.

The top level is a little busy. If some Colgate Alums could buy out the "Alliance bank-Time Warner" row of advertising and replace it with a Raiders logo on the left and a Patriot league logo on the right---it would be perfect!:)

Fordham
July 20th, 2006, 08:29 AM
I like having the total yards in there as well. It begs the question of what exactly each area is for on there... as well as what could be in there that would be helpful or might have been better than total yards, etc.

Thoughts?

Again, though, great scoreboard.

Pard4Life
July 20th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Like Valley Raider said and what I said earlier... it looks a bit guady.

Plus, way too many ads. They succeeded in attracting attention to them though.

colgate13
July 20th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Thoughts?

The top center under Colgate would be the game time.

Under the Alliance bank signs would be team name, score and possession.

T.O.L. would be Time Outs Left

Yards are self explanatory as are down and distance, quarter and yard line.

I would imagine that the video screen can be used to show individual stats with a picture, in addition to instant replay.

colgate13
July 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Funny, I actually think it makes the stadium look more like, well, a stadium. The big time venues have advertising; it shows that advertisers are willing to spend $$$$ to be seen at a Colgate football game. That's big to me!:thumbsup:

89Hen
July 20th, 2006, 09:59 AM
I thought maybe they were the company Colgate hired to get UMass lost in the '03 playoffs. :p

colgate13
July 20th, 2006, 10:04 AM
I thought maybe they were the company Colgate hired to get UMass lost in the '03 playoffs. :p

Nah, Bernie wouldn't have been dumb enough to try and drive Route 20 (a hilly and dangerous highway) from Syracuse to Hamilton in a snow storm!

Pard4Life
July 20th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Funny, I actually think it makes the stadium look more like, well, a stadium. The big time venues have advertising; it shows that advertisers are willing to spend $$$$ to be seen at a Colgate football game. That's big to me!:thumbsup:

Yeah I guess you have a valid point. Just personally, I am against, and disdain, advertising.

cosmo here
July 20th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Yeah I guess you have a valid point. Just personally, I am against, and disdain, advertising.

You better brace yourself when Lafayette gets a new scoreboard then . . :thumbsup:

colgate13
July 20th, 2006, 10:32 AM
You better brace yourself when Lafayette gets a new scoreboard then . . :thumbsup:

xlolx

Yes, this is the wave of the future. Those things aren't cheap!

TheValleyRaider
July 20th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Like Valley Raider said and what I said earlier... it looks a bit guady.

I don't mind the ads on the Football one at all. It does give off more of that "big time" atmosphere. The ones I was complaining about were on the new board at Van Doren (the soccer field right next to Andy Kerr). IMO, there's really no difference between the old one and the new one except the ads, which doesn't really seem worth it to me. :twocents:

TheBisonator
July 20th, 2006, 09:29 PM
If Colgate does these three things:

1) Build a huge new press box/suite combo behind the curved top of the home side (it wouldn't conform to the curved shape, but that's OK)

2) Demolish the ramshackle bleachers and press box on the visitors side

3) Build a modest-sized grandstand on the visitors side in the same design as the home side (but without the top curve) seating maybe around 2,500-3,000 or so

Then Colgate would have a Grade-A football facility.

BTW, that scoreboard looks TIGHT. Daktronics does fine work.

colgate13
July 21st, 2006, 07:30 AM

1) Build a huge new press box/suite combo behind the curved top of the home side (it wouldn't conform to the curved shape, but that's OK)

3) Build a modest-sized grandstand on the visitors side in the same design as the home side (but without the top curve) seating maybe around 2,500-3,000 or so

I agree with #2 and #3, but #1 isn't happening. That press box is actually new, only 3-4 years old and it was a HUGE improvement over the last one. It's actually fairly nice in there!

What needs to happen is the metal bleachers need to go and be replaced by stands that compliment the home side (known as the Dunlap stands after coach Fred Dunlap.)

I guess that will then give us an A- football facility! :p

colgate13
July 21st, 2006, 07:33 AM
I don't mind the ads on the Football one at all. It does give off more of that "big time" atmosphere. The ones I was complaining about were on the new board at Van Doren (the soccer field right next to Andy Kerr). IMO, there's really no difference between the old one and the new one except the ads, which doesn't really seem worth it to me. :twocents:

Revenue baby, revenue. My guess is that it is definitely worth it. Colgate probably sold a 'package' deal to Alliance Bank, Time Warner, etc. that gets them on all the score boards. They are also on these little light pole banners that went up this past year.

I have 100% no problem with the ads. We want to be a Division I school? Then time to get cozy with advertising. :nod:

Lehigh Football Nation
July 21st, 2006, 08:50 AM
Looking at this again, it looks nice! There are ads, but they are not overwhelming and fit in the context of the scoreboard. I like the "I-AA Playoff appearances" listed on the bottom!

13, do you know if there will be any PL championship banners or the like over the scoreboard? I think that would be a nice touch.

colgate13
July 21st, 2006, 08:59 AM
Looking at this again, it looks nice! There are ads, but they are not overwhelming and fit in the context of the scoreboard. I like the "I-AA Playoff appearances" listed on the bottom!

13, do you know if there will be any PL championship banners or the like over the scoreboard? I think that would be a nice touch.
I like that their is 'room to grow' in that appearances area! (secretly, I like that there is a blank section in the middle just begging for something that says "National Champions"!) :thumbsup:

No idea about banners. Actually, the scoreboard is not officially done. I think there are some finishing touches still needed. I'll probably get out to Hamilton one more time before the season starts, so if it's worth it, I'll take some final shots.

Pard4Life
July 21st, 2006, 09:29 AM

The Grade-A Patriot League football facility you seek is located in Easton my friend. :rotateh: :D

colgate13
July 21st, 2006, 09:31 AM
The Grade-A Patriot League football facility you seek is located in Easton my friend. :rotateh: :D

That's OK. We'll take an A- (or our current, what, B/B-?). The Grade A football team is in Hamilton though, and I'll take that any day of the week! ;) :p

Pard4Life
July 21st, 2006, 09:34 AM
Revenue baby, revenue. My guess is that it is definitely worth it. Colgate probably sold a 'package' deal to Alliance Bank, Time Warner, etc. that gets them on all the score boards. They are also on these little light pole banners that went up this past year.

I have 100% no problem with the ads. We want to be a Division I school? Then time to get cozy with advertising. :nod:

While I see your point on the big-time D-I atmosphere.. I feel advertising like mad compromises the collegiate atmosphere. It seems less amatuer... Yeah I am totally contradicting myself and school.. Lafayette advertises... i.e. the Papa John's contest every game, bus ads, express-times ads, Lafayette Ambassador Bank etc. But, so many other things have been compromised in collegiate athletics.. so whatever.. :rolleyes:

colgate13
July 21st, 2006, 09:57 AM
While I see your point on the big-time D-I atmosphere.. I feel advertising like mad compromises the collegiate atmosphere. It seems less amatuer... Yeah I am totally contradicting myself and school.. Lafayette advertises... i.e. the Papa John's contest every game, bus ads, express-times ads, Lafayette Ambassador Bank etc. But, so many other things have been compromised in collegiate athletics.. so whatever.. :rolleyes:

I hear you completely. I draw the line at advertising on uniforms. At least keep the playing field free from ads. The extras? Fine. Do it tastefully and make some $$$$.

Pard4Life
July 21st, 2006, 10:52 AM
That's OK. We'll take an A- (or our current, what, B/B-?). The Grade A football team is in Hamilton though, and I'll take that any day of the week! ;) :p

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah... whatever.. we will see this year.. :rotateh: