PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about NDSU vs Colorado State following CSU's upset of Colorado? Uh oh!

bojeta
September 3rd, 2012, 06:10 PM
Ya... I had to ask. Wait! Putting on my helmet, and grabbing a bag of popcorn. I'm sure the talk around CSU has to include something to the effect of bagging two bison in two games.

DJKyR0
September 3rd, 2012, 06:18 PM
Not sure I'd characterize CSU over CU as an upset. Surprising, sure, but the Rams' offensive line is porous. I think the big challenge is scoring against their D, which I think we can pull off. Just need to stay steady on offense like we do and not turn the ball over. Very comparable to Minnesota last season and I think our chances are still very good for an FCS team over an FBS team.

bojeta
September 3rd, 2012, 06:23 PM
Not sure I'd characterize CSU over CU as an upset. Surprising, sure, but the Rams' offensive line is porous. I think the big challenge is scoring against their D, which I think we can pull off. Just need to stay steady on offense like we do and not turn the ball over. Very comparable to Minnesota last season and I think our chances are still very good for an FCS team over an FBS team.

Just for the record, I haven't changed my pick. I still believe NDSU Wins.

MTfan4life
September 3rd, 2012, 06:28 PM
Is beating Colorado ever an upset anymore?

Grizalltheway
September 3rd, 2012, 06:40 PM

Not when the opposing team has a Montana native at the helm.xthumbsupx

bojeta
September 3rd, 2012, 06:42 PM

True.... They did finish in the bottom 10 last season :( Feeling sad for my UC nephew...

Come to think of it, so did Maryland. Not sure I should read too much into that close game with W&M now...

Screamin_Eagle174
September 3rd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Not when the opposing team has a former EWU QB and coach at the helm .xthumbsupx

FIFY xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
September 3rd, 2012, 06:51 PM

The Buffs upset us back in 2008. xnonono2x

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 3rd, 2012, 07:32 PM
Having seen the NDSU/Gophers game in person last year and highlights of CSU/CU on saturday, IMO, the Gophers were a better team last year compared to CSU this year. NDSU still has to bring their A-game and not turn the ball over to win the game. The Bison defense is more than capable of playing with CSU. It will come down to the Bison offense and the CSU front 7 on defense.

If the Bison can run the ball effectively (180-220 yds) and use the pass off of this then they have a real legit chance of winning. If they turn the ball over and cannot stop the run then they will lose.

Bison win 28-13

bojeta
September 3rd, 2012, 07:47 PM
Having seen the NDSU/Gophers game in person last year and highlights of CSU/CU on saturday, IMO, the Gophers were a better team last year compared to CSU this year. NDSU still has to bring their A-game and not turn the ball over to win the game. The Bison defense is more than capable of playing with CSU. It will come down to the Bison offense and the CSU front 7 on defense.

If the Bison can run the ball effectively (180-220 yds) and use the pass off of this then they have a real legit chance of winning. If they turn the ball over and cannot stop the run then they will lose.

Bison win 28-13

Since Cal Poly has a bye this week, I really want to watch this live. What's the video feed for your game?

MplsBison
September 3rd, 2012, 08:05 PM
I'm afraid this has Wyoming 2008 written all over it. Supposedly super star unbeatable NDSU team that coulda, shoulda beat Wyoming and then went on to lose to Youngstown.

True, Roehl got hurt vs. CCSU before the Wyoming game that year, but if I remember correctly he tried to play vs Wyoming and hurt himself worse and then couldn't play against Youngstown (where he probably would've made enough of a difference to get the win). Could be remembering that wrong, feel free to correct me.

Well anyway, good luck to NDSU in this game and I really do hope the Bison prevail - but more importantly, NO INJURIES that cost MVFC games!!

EDIT - well after checking the gobison.com recaps, it does appear Roehl ran for 104 yards and 2TD in the Youngstown loss in 2008.

Nonetheless, I still think my overall message is the right one. Don't play guys to win CSU if you don't have to! It'd be nice, but ultimately need to win the MVFC above all else!

Drblankstare
September 3rd, 2012, 08:12 PM
I'm afraid this has Wyoming 2008 written all over it. Supposedly super star unbeatable NDSU team that coulda, shoulda beat Wyoming and then went on to lose to Youngstown.

True, Roehl got hurt vs. CCSU before the Wyoming game that year, but if I remember correctly he tried to play vs Wyoming and hurt himself worse and then couldn't play against Youngstown (where he probably would've made enough of a difference to get the win). Could be remembering that wrong, feel free to correct me.

Well anyway, good luck to NDSU in this game and I really do hope the Bison prevail - but more importantly, NO INJURIES that cost MVFC games!!

NO INJURIES, is the key. It's great to crow about beating an FBS, but in the long run, it means very little. Health in playoffs is the important thing. Let's hope for a good game and good health. Go Bison

Professor Chaos
September 3rd, 2012, 08:12 PM
CSU's defense looks solid but NDSU has a new RB by the name of John Crockett that I think is going to have a coming out party against them. He gave us a bit of a glimpse of it on Saturday but he only carried it 8 times. Check out this play (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1oe0HD4ILo#t=1m51s) to see what I mean.

bojeta
September 3rd, 2012, 08:24 PM
CSU's defense looks solid but NDSU has a new RB by the name of John Crockett that I think is going to have a coming out party against them. He gave us a bit of a glimpse of it on Saturday but he only carried it 8 times. Check out this play (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1oe0HD4ILo#t=1m51s) to see what I mean.

Impressive run! Hope to pick up a feed for the game so I can see some more of that!

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 3rd, 2012, 08:26 PM

EDIT - well after checking the gobison.com recaps, it does appear Roehl ran for 104 yards and 2TD in the Youngstown loss in 2008.

Nonetheless, I still think my overall message is the right one. Don't play guys to win CSU if you don't have to! It'd be nice, but ultimately need to win the MVFC above all else!

Here we go again.

Injuries can happen at any time in any game....period.

Coach Bohl is going to try and win the game, which all coaches try to do.

WTF.......'Don't play guys to win CSU if you don't have to'.......what the he** is that? You play to win if it is Alabama or Mayville State. And how the he** does this game have Wyo '08 "written all over it?" No injuries going into this game.

Bottom line: If the Bison do not turn the ball over and can establish a running game they win.....period.

MplsBison
September 3rd, 2012, 08:34 PM
Here we go again.

Injuries can happen at any time in any game....period.

Coach Bohl is going to try and win the game, which all coaches try to do.

WTF.......'Don't play guys to win CSU if you don't have to'.......what the he** is that? You play to win if it is Alabama or Mayville State. And how the he** does this game have Wyo '08 "written all over it?" No injuries going into this game.

Bottom line: If the Bison do not turn the ball over and can establish a running game they win.....period.

As you point out, injuries can happen in any game, including during the CSU game.

Therefore, what I said is correct.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 3rd, 2012, 08:39 PM
As you point out, injuries can happen in any game, including during the CSU game.

How does this game have "Wyo '08" written all over it....like you said???

frozennorth
September 3rd, 2012, 08:42 PM

it doesn't. MPLS will just do the normal MPLS thing and find some sliver of something he said that was borderline correct and hang on it in order to validate his entire argument.

FargoBison
September 3rd, 2012, 08:53 PM

Wyoming is a terrible comparison for about a million reasons. First and foremost being who is playing QB. That team completely went as Roehl went, so it is obvious the coaches should have protected him more but I'm not sure this team is all that dependent on one player like the 2008 team was.

MplsBison
September 3rd, 2012, 08:57 PM

Both teams are coming off extremely successful years in NDSU history, both with supposedly equal or greater talent than those teams and both picked to win the conference pre-season.

Both Wyoming and Colorado St are in the Mountain West conference and both games taking place away in high altitude locations.

Are you satisfied? But you're more than welcome to continue being obtuse just for the sake of trolling my posts, your favorite pastime on AGS.

MplsBison
September 3rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
Couple nice differences, at least, between the games that are worth noting:

- (as NW pointed out) no one was hurt in the RMU game, at least that was reported

- NDSU will essentially have two weeks to rest anyone who gets hurt in this game before MVFC season begins.

MplsBison
September 3rd, 2012, 09:01 PM
Wyoming is a terrible comparison for about a million reasons. First and foremost being who is playing QB. That team completely went as Roehl went, so it is obvious the coaches should have protected him more but I'm not sure this team is all that dependent on one player like the 2008 team was.

You're right about the 2008 NDSU team, but that is not my concern.

sgt smash
September 3rd, 2012, 10:12 PM
xslapfightxxslapfightxxslapfightxBut of course there is someone on ramnation predicting a 15 point NDSU win already.

frozennorth
September 3rd, 2012, 10:52 PM
i'm considering joining the troll fest over there. they come across as rubes.

NDSU should be the more talented team at most position groups. mcwhatshisname might get them somewhere, but they aren't turning into boise state overnight.

sagarin's currently borderline meaningless ratings have ndsu as 7 point favorites at CSU.

CopperCat
September 3rd, 2012, 11:10 PM

Then I guess NDSU should just show up, forfeit the game and get back on the bus with some cash in their pocket.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W42iiCcFbxE

sgt smash
September 3rd, 2012, 11:11 PM
thier message board is sloppy and it is killing my browser on my droid. they really are kinda clueless. That said, I would equate saying anything nice about the Bison over there to walking in to a KKK meeting and screaming "I love black people!"

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2012, 11:15 PM
I said it in a thread this summer about players to look out for, but if the guy below stays healthy and eligible, he is going to give the opposing teams nightmares...

http://www.inforum.com/media/full/jpg/2012/09/01/0902-s-crockett.jpg

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 4th, 2012, 03:19 AM
NO INJURIES, is the key. It's great to crow about beating an FBS, but in the long run, it means very little. Health in playoffs is the important thing. Let's hope for a good game and good health. Go Bison

I'd argue about beating an FBS team. It is one more Div 1 victory, it helps tremendously if you are on the fence of making the playoffs, it can add more perceived strength for seeding for the playoffs, and bragging rights are just so sweet to a fanbase. Somehow these wins seem to add just a little more than any other FCS win, and they don't have to come at the expense of injuries.

Losing - yeah, nothing better/worse than losing to any other team.

Good luck and for the record I think the Bison win after CSU comes home feeling better about their team than they should. NDSU gets to play spoiler in a let down game for the Rams.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 4th, 2012, 06:33 AM

As usual your explainations do not answer anything.

Altitude will have no factor in this game for the simple reason that the Bison team is in good shape (cardiovascular). The only thing that might remotely be similar is the opponents are from the same conference.

LOL....You think I 'troll' your posts? Well, when someone makes such asinine statements as you do so consistently it becomes too easy.

caribbeanhen
September 4th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I think Colorado State has a good chance to pull the upset in this one

NoDak 4 Ever
September 4th, 2012, 07:38 AM
xslapfightxxslapfightxxslapfightxBut of course there is someone on ramnation predicting a 15 point NDSU win already.

Holy **** is that a mess. You'd think they could get someone to introduce some decent forum software over there. It's worse than Sam Houston

NoDak 4 Ever
September 4th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I'd argue about beating an FBS team. It is one more Div 1 victory, it helps tremendously if you are on the fence of making the playoffs, it can add more perceived strength for seeding for the playoffs, and bragging rights are just so sweet to a fanbase. Somehow these wins seem to add just a little more than any other FCS win, and they don't have to come at the expense of injuries.

Good luck and for the record I think the Bison win after CSU comes home feeling better about their team than they should. NDSU gets to play spoiler in a let down game for the Rams.

Agreed. The Kansas win put NDSU over the top in '10 for that last spot in the playoffs.

AmsterBison
September 4th, 2012, 08:09 AM
CSU's defense looks very good so they'll be a good test in advance of the MVFC.

BisonBacker
September 4th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Holy **** is that a mess. You'd think they could get someone to introduce some decent forum software over there. It's worse than Sam Houston

I couldn't agree more. That board/forum software is total crap. The gooph's used to use it. Makes trying to read a thread a pain in the butt. The fact they still use it I can't even imagine why.

BisonBacker
September 4th, 2012, 08:14 AM

Altitude will have no factor in this game for the simple reason that the Bison team is in good shape (cardiovascular). The only thing that might remotely be similar is the opponents are from the same conference.

LOL....You think I 'troll' your posts? Well, when someone makes such asinine statements as you do so consistently it becomes too easy.

I just wish people would stop responding to him. I have him on ignore as reading what he posts is akin to forcing yourself to drink ipecac.

Twentysix
September 4th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Since Cal Poly has a bye this week, I really want to watch this live. What's the video feed for your game?

It should be on 1st row. Its on NBC in ND and some other channel in Colorado. Someone will put it up.

MplsBison
September 4th, 2012, 12:35 PM

NDSU shouldn't ever get into the playoffs based on anything other than the MVFC record, in my opinion. It's the most competitive I-AA conference in the nation. What is done there is what makes or breaks the season.

CSU game shouldn't matter.

MplsBison
September 4th, 2012, 12:36 PM

My explanations perfectly explained it. Obviously, as you had nothing to counter it.

Continue on with your trolling.

Daved
September 4th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I think Colorado State has a good chance to pull the upset in this oneThe odds of two upsets in a row are slim--I'll be surprised if the Bison lose this one.xpeacex