PDA

View Full Version : Chattanooga / Elon Football -- ESPN

chattanoogamocs
July 18th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Ok, well actually the 3rd annual Krystal Square Off World Championships will be held before the Chattanooga/Elon football game at the 1st Tennessee Pavilion (adjacent to Finley Stadium) and will be carried on ESPN.

Still, some nice publicity for the school...I am sure with ESPN being the self-promoters (aka promo whores) that they are, they will mention that the IAA championship is held at Finley.

Finalists will be chosen from 7 regional contests and the winners will take on defending champion Takeru Kobayashi.

Prize money will total $30,000.

(This is a sad commentary on life that eating contests are covered by a sports network...yet I have to admit that the carnival/freak show atmosphere is oddly entertaining...kind of like a car crash...you shouldn't look, but you just can't help yourself)

www.krystalsquareoff.com/

Chattanooga...home of Coca-Cola, the Moon Pie, Little Debbies, and the Krystal Hamburger!

AppGuy04
July 19th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Is that white guy that finished 2nd at Nathan's gonna be there?

and sorry, I prefer Pepsi

Eagle_77
July 19th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Chatty the home of Coca-Cola? I thought that it was invented in Atlanta and is where the Coca-Cola headquarters is now located.

"Coca-Cola (often abbreviated to "Coke") is a carbonated cola drink, and is the world's most popular soft drink.[1] The Coca-Cola Company's headquarters are located in Atlanta, Georgia, where the drink was first concocted around 1884. "(Wikipedia)

winstoneagle
July 19th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I believe there is a huge Coke bottler in Chattanooga. Still one of my favorite towns.

chattanoogamocs
July 19th, 2006, 02:46 PM
You are correct...Atlanta is the home of the original invention/inventor...but, Chattanooga is the home of the world's first Coca-Cola Bottling plant (now over 100 years old) which is primarily responsible for making Coke what it is today.

...in the late 1890's, three Chattanooga businessmen bought the rights to bottle Coke for a couple of dollars...the inventor thought the real money was to be made in selling it at pharmacies so he basically gave away the bottling rights (but he still did just fine, he held on to the recipe and got a cut of the syrup manufacturing)...he then sold off to Asa Candler who really was the marketing genius of the company.

...by 1909 the three Chattanoogans had set up over 400 bottling franchises.

The grandchildren of those three smart businessmen are worth about 5 billion dollars and most of them still live up on Lookout Mountain...the Lupton family has been a donors to the University of Chattanooga Foundation for nearly a century (Lupton Library) and just recently one of the grandchildren, Jack, gave $25 million to the school...he also paid the first $30 million of the Tennessee Aquarium, when everyone else said that it was a stupid idea (who would go to a freshwater Aquarium?)...that decision has led to nearly a half billion dollars in downtown redevelopment over the last decade and has transformed the city of Chattanooga.

...and Chattanooga Glass was the sole bottle maker for Coke for decades.

...and also for decades, the Cavalier Corporation was the largest vending machine company in the world.

...and for the sports fans, the first plant to bottle PowerAde was also Chattanooga.

(on an interesting side note: the Brass Register just re-opened a couple of blocks from UC (it was the big college hangout in the 70-80's), inside on the wall is a huge handpainted Coke sign which was just verified this week as being the oldst Coca-Cola print ad in the world (it has been on the wall since 1909)

GSUhooligan
July 19th, 2006, 03:03 PM
so technically, my hard earned money that I spend on coke products is funding UTC improvements? I think I'm switching to Pepsi.

OL FU
July 19th, 2006, 03:27 PM
so technically, my hard earned money that I spend on coke products is funding UTC improvements? I think I'm switching to Pepsi.

Doesn't Pepsi own Lay which is ( used to be ) a contributor to Furman:smiley_wi

GSUhooligan
July 19th, 2006, 04:27 PM
damn. I guess i'm drinking tap water from now on.....

chattanoogamocs
July 19th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Actually, those original coke bottling descendents sold out to Summerfield Johnston (Johnston Bottling group) in the early 90's....Coca-Cola of Atlanta owns 40% of Johnston Coca-Cola (ironic that the originators of the product in Atlanta had to "buy back" in to the bottling part of the business)

So you can safely enjoy a Coke without funding the enemy. :)

No doubt though, Chattanooga is a Coca-Cola town.

Sly Fox
July 19th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Following the bizarre turn of this thread, did you know there is Krystal in NW Houston within easy driving of three I-AA schools (SHSU, TSU & PVU)?

Why we have a Krystal near my house is very good question. I don't believe there is another for several hundred miles in any direction.

Moving right along ...

whoanellie
July 19th, 2006, 09:27 PM
should We (Elon) folks pick up some Goody's/ or some anti-acids for the survivors, on our way over to Chattynoogy? nice promo for the competitive eating set. This ought to be a major championship ala the Master's don't ya think? I always loved "Cool Hand Luke" eating those 50 eggs.

JSU02
July 22nd, 2006, 06:15 PM
(on an interesting side note: the Brass Register just re-opened a couple of blocks from UC (it was the big college hangout in the 70-80's), inside on the wall is a huge handpainted Coke sign which was just verified this week as being the oldst Coca-Cola print ad in the world (it has been on the wall since 1909)

Thats pretty darn cool, I'll have to walk outside and take a look. :D

Has Krystal ever thought of being the title sponsor of the I-AA Champioship game? It could be sub titled the "Krystal Burger Bowl" and the logo could be a Krystal box with stands stickin out of the top to kinda make it look like a stadium.

blukeys
July 22nd, 2006, 08:05 PM
You are correct...Atlanta is the home of the original invention/inventor...but, Chattanooga is the home of the world's first Coca-Cola Bottling plant (now over 100 years old) which is primarily responsible for making Coke what it is today.

...in the late 1890's, three Chattanooga businessmen bought the rights to bottle Coke for a couple of dollars...the inventor thought the real money was to be made in selling it at pharmacies so he basically gave away the bottling rights (but he still did just fine, he held on to the recipe and got a cut of the syrup manufacturing)...he then sold off to Asa Candler who really was the marketing genius of the company.

...by 1909 the three Chattanoogans had set up over 400 bottling franchises.

The grandchildren of those three smart businessmen are worth about 5 billion dollars and most of them still live up on Lookout Mountain...the Lupton family has been a donors to the University of Chattanooga Foundation for nearly a century (Lupton Library) and just recently one of the grandchildren, Jack, gave $25 million to the school...he also paid the first $30 million of the Tennessee Aquarium, when everyone else said that it was a stupid idea (who would go to a freshwater Aquarium?)...that decision has led to nearly a half billion dollars in downtown redevelopment over the last decade and has transformed the city of Chattanooga.

...and Chattanooga Glass was the sole bottle maker for Coke for decades.

...and also for decades, the Cavalier Corporation was the largest vending machine company in the world.

...and for the sports fans, the first plant to bottle PowerAde was also Chattanooga.

Excellent stories and I love all the local angles. The History Channel has done a great show on the soft drink wars Including the Atlanta angle on Coke. Chattanooga is not mentioned at all in the documentary so thanks for the info. One of my best friend's father was the plant manager of the local Coke bottler which was located about 2 miles from my house.

The best story though is that at one time Pepsi offered to sell out to Coke. Coke refused and basically turned their nose up on the deal and did not even make a counter offer.

As of today Pepsi out sells Coke in retail grocery sales (But not in total sales)

Golden Eagle
July 22nd, 2006, 08:13 PM
Has Krystal ever thought of being the title sponsor of the I-AA Champioship game? It could be sub titled the "Krystal Burger Bowl" and the logo could be a Krystal box with stands stickin out of the top to kinda make it look like a stadium.

Hey, that's a great way to make people take I-AA more seriously! :eek:

walliver
July 23rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Has Krystal ever thought of being the title sponsor of the I-AA Champioship game?

I'm not sure if that would go over well - "Little burgers for the little schools": smh :

JSU02
July 23rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
Its better than no sponsor. It already has the burger eating contest held at Finley stadium, why not even move it back to december in 2007 to coincidide with the I-AA champ game.