PDA

View Full Version : GSU-Jacksonville

seantaylor
September 1st, 2012, 07:26 PM
We could score 150 tonight if we wanted to. Our team speed is unreal. 55-0 in the third. We have played 4 different QBs already.

chattanoogamocs
September 1st, 2012, 07:41 PM
Thank you for going ahead and proving that even if Jacksonville goes undefeated in Pioneer League play, they have no business getting an at large in the playoffs.

asujch
September 1st, 2012, 07:59 PM
We could score 150 tonight if we wanted to. Our team speed is unreal. 55-0 in the third. We have played 4 different QBs already.

I have no doubt that you guys have a good team this year, but honestly, you're playing Jacksonville; a startup team with more losing records than winning ones in their 14 year history.

It's like if Georgia would play Florida Atlantic. It's just a gimme game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 1st, 2012, 08:30 PM
Don't think you can say our team speed is "unreal", but our opponents should take heed that taking away the dive, pitch man, and neglecting the QB won't work this year. If we can fix the turnovers and if Izzy will stop overthrowing receivers we will have a scary offense.

On defense we are still vulnerable to the pass, but it may not be as bad as we thought. All in all, I don't think we will drop off much from last year.

SpeedkingATL
September 1st, 2012, 08:34 PM
Pretty convincing win, but not really a surprise.

asujch
September 1st, 2012, 10:01 PM
Just checked out the stats from the game; I know you guys are a TO team, but really 0-8 on passing and 2 INT's? Against a middle of the road secondary that allowed 55% of their opponents passes completed last year?

ChiefGSU275
September 1st, 2012, 10:04 PM
Every pass attempt was a bomb, something I dont understand. Play-action passes where we had receivers streaking wide open but the QB over threw them. This happened the first 5? attempts I'd say. After that, it was backups that had some pretty poor throws. Passing is definitely a glaring weakness right now, and I'd have liked to see us use a bit more of the short passing game, especially once we had a lead, to get our starting qb some confidence and rhythm.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 1st, 2012, 10:05 PM
Just checked out the stats from the game; I know you guys are a TO team, but really 0-8 on passing and 2 INT's? Against a middle of the road secondary that allowed 55% of their opponents passes completed last year?

Neither ints were by the top two QBs
A couple of the incompletions were Hail Marys right before the half and also by the backups.

Gringer1
September 1st, 2012, 10:20 PM
I think we were trying to keep the playbook vanilla tonight, especially with regards to the passing game. We didn't try any short passes and the starters only tried about 4 passes. I expect us to open things up more against the Citadel.

seantaylor
September 2nd, 2012, 01:31 AM
Please look up the NC game stats from 99. We don't even have to pass. Some of our fans really don't know football. If teams stack the box and a safety misses an assignment it is an 80 yard TD every time now. Jaybo was a horrible deep passer, and we still took the ball up and down the field. When these QB's get comfortable making the pitch, nobody on this level is keeping us in check on offense.

Gringer1
September 2nd, 2012, 01:43 AM
Um, we had receivers open deep down field at least twice tonight and we still missed the completion.

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2012, 01:58 AM

Haha, but you can't score more than 7 against a team that can stop your gimmick. I am gonna be so upset when I can no longer relentlessly troll every pro triple option post. May you never beat NDSU.

seantaylor
September 2nd, 2012, 02:24 AM
Um, we had receivers open deep down field at least twice tonight and we still missed the completion.

Doesn't mean anything. 1999 NC Game. Over 600 yards rushing and one completion for 10 yards.

seantaylor
September 2nd, 2012, 02:25 AM
Haha, but you can't score more than 7 against a team that can stop your gimmick. I am gonna be so upset when I can no longer relentlessly troll every pro triple option post. May you never beat NDSU.

You guys got the worst QB in GSU option history. I understood why he started, but that is not the case anymore. That scheme you implemented would have us scoring over 40 this year.

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2012, 02:31 AM
You guys got the worst QB in GSU option history. I understood why he started, but that is not the case anymore. That scheme you implemented would have us scoring over 40 this year.

Right xviolinx

Gringer1
September 2nd, 2012, 07:01 AM
Doesn't mean anything. 1999 NC Game. Over 600 yards rushing and one completion for 10 yards.

But you said that every time a receiver gets open deep, it's a touchdown these days.

asumike83
September 2nd, 2012, 07:52 AM
Already two comparisons to the Adrian Peterson led 1999 title team after blowing out Jacksonville? Somebody's got a serious sugar high, must have been one sweet cupcake.

CC Eagle
September 2nd, 2012, 07:56 AM

Right xviolinx

I'm not going to say that GSU would beat NDSU until they actually do, but seantaylor has a point.

NDSU and App shut down the option by more or less leaving Jaybo alone. Even if he kept it and found room, he didn't have the speed to break a big run and he was limited to a few yards per run. If either team tried that same defensive strategy this season, things wouldn't work out nearly as well.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 2nd, 2012, 08:04 AM
I'm not going to say that GSU would beat NDSU until they actually do, but seantaylor has a point.

NDSU and App shut down the option by more or less leaving Jaybo alone. Even if he kept it and found room, he didn't have the speed to break a big run and he was limited to a few yards per run. If either team tried that same defensive strategy this season, things wouldn't work out nearly as well.

Yup. The jury is still out on whether or not this offense will be better than 2011, but one thing's fore sure....what App. State and NDSU did last year won't work this year.

blueballs
September 2nd, 2012, 08:57 AM
GSU travels to Charleston next week to face a group that should have won in Statesboro last year, is very well coached, hungry, playing at home and has yet to taste defeat this year. GSU MORE than has their hands full next week.

I know one thing... GSU had better develop some semblance of a passing game and be ready to play or it will be a long ride home.

I'm withholding judgment until I see a road conference game.

seantaylor
September 2nd, 2012, 03:57 PM
GSU travels to Charleston next week to face a group that should have won in Statesboro last year, is very well coached, hungry, playing at home and has yet to taste defeat this year. GSU MORE than has their hands full next week.

I know one thing... GSU had better develop some semblance of a passing game and be ready to play or it will be a long ride home.

I'm withholding judgment until I see a road conference game.

Citadel struggled mightily in the first half with Chuck Southern. I officiated a Chuck Southern scrimmage this year. That team has beer league softball players on the roster. No talent at all. So, I will be pretty disappointed if we don't win convincingly.

GATA
September 2nd, 2012, 06:11 PM

If scoring a ton of ****ing points on people is a "gimmick"...I'll take it. Don't pretend that you know anything about schemes...you don't. Your team didn't beat GSU last year because we run a "gimmick" on offense. You won becausr you had the ****ing best team. Don't be a moron. NDSU's defense shut down damn near EVERY offense they faced...Whether it be traditional I formation garbage or option style "gimmicks."

I've seen teams running "traditional" offenses put on ****ty performances a million times. There is never a discussion about whether the scheme is trash because every moron that watches the nfl thinks their pro style scheme is cutting edge. PLEASE. Every d-coordinator in the country would rather face a pro style team because it's so familiar.

TwoFeathers
September 2nd, 2012, 08:18 PM

Did you guys watch (or attend) the NDSU game??? They made GSU look like a Pop Warner team. I don't care who you would have had a QB. They would have just crushed you a little less???

ElCid
September 2nd, 2012, 08:31 PM
Citadel struggled mightily in the first half with Chuck Southern. I officiated a Chuck Southern game this year. That team has beer league softball players on the roster. No talent at all. So, I will be pretty disappointed if we don't win convincingly.

Struggled Mightily?? Must not have been the game I was at. It was never in doubt. The Dogs dominated them throughout. It just took a little time to translate that into points. The only thing the Dogs struggled against was there own mistakes. Once they settled down, it was like clockwork. I have not made up my mind yet on next week. I suspect they will play tough against Ga So, but come up a little short. But a win would not surprise me greatly.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 2nd, 2012, 08:52 PM
Did you guys watch (or attend) the NDSU game??? They made GSU look like a Pop Warner team. I don't care who you would have had a QB. They would have just crushed you a little less???

I watched the NDSU game, but I've also watched GSU for many years and I can tell you that if GSU had had a QB that was faster and more nimble it would have been a different ball game. Why do you think GSU was the only team who was able to get Alabama's defense to budge? It wasn't because Alabama didn't care. Oklahoma State had just lost the night before and Bama had a chance to make a statement and get into the NC game. Bama didn't completely squash the offense the way App. State and NDSU did because they didn't try to force Jaybo Shaw to make the run. GSU has torched countless defenses that were "too good to be one-dimensional against" or "too disciplined for the option to work". If our new QB pans out he is athletic enough to make many plays that Shaw couldn't, and then I hope NDSU comes to Paulson in the playoffs so we can show how them how the offense is run.

Citadel struggled mightily in the first half with Chuck Southern. I officiated a Chuck Southern game this year. That team has beer league softball players on the roster. No talent at all. So, I will be pretty disappointed if we don't win convincingly.

What's your beef with The Citadel, anyways? We've played in Charleston 9 times, and have had 3 losses, 3 dramatic come-from-behind wins, 1 OT win, and a win where we had 9 takeaways and only won by 20. We've gotten fits from some pretty awful El Cid teams over the year. I really thought you'd been a fan long enough to know there aren't many easy wins over there.

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2012, 10:21 PM
If scoring a ton of ****ing points on people is a "gimmick"...I'll take it. Don't pretend that you know anything about schemes...you don't. Your team didn't beat GSU last year because we run a "gimmick" on offense. You won becausr you had the ****ing best team. Don't be a moron. NDSU's defense shut down damn near EVERY offense they faced...Whether it be traditional I formation garbage or option style "gimmicks."

I've seen teams running "traditional" offenses put on ****ty performances a million times. There is never a discussion about whether the scheme is trash because every moron that watches the nfl thinks their pro style scheme is cutting edge. PLEASE. Every d-coordinator in the country would rather face a pro style team because it's so familiar.

Thats the spirit! P.S. 2-0 all time against GS.

BisonFan02
September 2nd, 2012, 11:10 PM

Yup....here's to hoping we can bump the NDSU/Ga Southern thread from last year and add another 200 pages of garbage about "Southern Speed".

GATA_OneMoreTime
September 3rd, 2012, 12:11 AM
16738 It's 2012 and Georgia Southern is 1-0. That's what matters.

GSUsTALON
September 3rd, 2012, 09:28 AM

I’ll agree and disagree. Our QB, while good, did not have the speed or quickness to make the triple running game a true triple threat. As far as NDSU’s defense is concerned they were well coached and executed in a grand fashion. THEY HAD NO PROBLEM DEFENDING AGAINST ALL COMERS whether the Spread Triple Option ground attack, passing teams and balanced offences throughout the year and during the playoffs.

GSUsTALON
September 3rd, 2012, 09:32 AM

Something to be proud of to be sure but this is 2012.

TwoFeathers
September 3rd, 2012, 08:02 PM
I watched the NDSU game, but I've also watched GSU for many years and I can tell you that if GSU had had a QB that was faster and more nimble it would have been a different ball game. Why do you think GSU was the only team who was able to get Alabama's defense to budge? It wasn't because Alabama didn't care. Oklahoma State had just lost the night before and Bama had a chance to make a statement and get into the NC game. Bama didn't completely squash the offense the way App. State and NDSU did because they didn't try to force Jaybo Shaw to make the run. GSU has torched countless defenses that were "too good to be one-dimensional against" or "too disciplined for the option to work". If our new QB pans out he is athletic enough to make many plays that Shaw couldn't, and then I hope NDSU comes to Paulson in the playoffs so we can show how them how the offense is run.

Oh here goes the Alabama quotes again... I thought those were used up last year? Hey, I'm a big GSU fan, I watched nearly every game last year, and they dominated the competition. However, I wouldn't go as far as saying they would beat NDSU, or the other #1 defense they lost to, Delaware 2 years ago. That NDSU defense was insane, and I was shocked they shut down GSU the way they did. But they were that good. I suppose in your rationale, NDSU defense was better than Alabama. I'm just saying...

boogereagle
September 4th, 2012, 08:13 PM
NDSU was crazy good last year and is a fine program, no doubt. But I'd put an asterisk by the first win simply because of who we had coaching and what he had done to that team. That year Central Connecticut beat GSU. Camden County could have beaten GSU.

Simply because of speed, I think the Eagles might have fared better last year had someone like Greg Hill been behind center rather than Jaybo (whom I think deserves better respect than he gets from a certain yankee transplant Georga Southern fan known as seantaylor). Not saying GSU would have won, but it might have made a difference in final score. I also believe NDSU's dome-field advantage also plays big role in their at-home dominance.

Hopefully, we'll get a chance to prove our selves a worthy opponent to the mighty Bison this year.

straightshooter
September 5th, 2012, 12:09 AM
NDSU was crazy good last year and is a fine program, no doubt. But I'd put an asterisk by the first win simply because of who we had coaching and what he had done to that team. That year Central Connecticut beat GSU. Camden County could have beaten GSU.

Simply because of speed, I think the Eagles might have fared better last year had someone like Greg Hill been behind center rather than Jaybo (whom I think deserves better respect than he gets from a certain yankee transplant Georga Southern fan known as seantaylor). Not saying GSU would have won, but it might have made a difference in final score. I also believe NDSU's dome-field advantage also plays big role in their at-home dominance.

Hopefully, we'll get a chance to prove our selves a worthy opponent to the mighty Bison this year.

There is a noticeable difference in the speed of the GSU offense this year versus the one that Delaware and NDSU faced the past two seasons. The Eagles now have two QBs who can do what Jaybo couldn't do: Take it to the house at any time and on any play. Citadel coach Higgins commented in the SoCon teleconference today that this GSU team is as fast as any FCS team he's ever seen. We'll see how it all plays out, but the speed difference really is apparent.

seantaylor
September 5th, 2012, 12:09 AM

"He white"

Laserlips
September 5th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Respectfully,

Here's an old farts prospective on the GSU/NDSU game last season.

My team, the Georgia Southern University Eagles got taken to the woodshed by a superior NDSU football team.

I don't believe ANY quarterback we could have put on the field (including our two very, very good quarterbacks from this season) would have made the difference in the outcome.

The NDSU team was awesome, and that defensive back with the cast on his arm (I forget his number) probably had the best game of his career... HE was awesome.

Now that I've said that, if I am correct, NDSU only has one National Championship in this division, right?

And that National Championship was last year....

My Georgia Southern University has SIX National Championship flags flying in Paulson Stadium. I know, I know, "ancient history" right?

Well, let me respectfully suggest that the ONE National Championship won last season by the fantastic NDSU football team was won LAST SEASON..

Last season ~ ANCIENT HISTORY folks.

The only folks who give a crap about "old" Championships are the players and fans from the school who won the suckers.. Nobody else looks "BACK" or gives a crap. The last Championship won could have been one year ago, or twenty, no difference, ancient history.

I would suggest that college football is basically a "what have you done for me lately" deal.. And last season's National Championship winner is old news. IF NDSU manages to win a 2nd National Championship, THIS SEASON, then they can celebrate their 2nd National Championship flag, just as APP State can be proud of their 3 National Championship flags...

AS we are proud of our SIX.

Anybody who realistically thinks GSU could have beaten NDSU at their house last season, no matter the quarterback, didn't watch the same game I did.

We got our butts handed to us by a vastly superior team.

Last year.... LOL

It's a new season, with a new National Champion to be crowned.. xtroublex

Just personal, old fart, opinion, no offense to my fellow GSU fans, nor those from NDSU, or any other Institution..

J.

Twentysix
September 8th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Something to be proud of to be sure but this is 2012.

Sure is, Lmao.

Had to bump this after losing. Too the classier, older GSU fan's this is not directed at you. Only the arrogant southern speed pricks.

GATA
September 12th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Sure is, Lmao.

Had to bump this after losing. Too the classier, older GSU fan's this is not directed at you. Only the arrogant southern speed pricks.

that's like two guys. The people with a brain realize that the best team in the country won the national title last year. GSU would have had to play perfect to win last year and we clearly didn't. Instead we squandered pretty much all scoring opportunities and NDSU ran down our throats as the game wore on.

I'm tired of people acting like schemes win games...they don't. I love the flexbone offense, but it's only as good as the athletes running it. That's why we lost to NDSU...couldn't block them. We could have been running ANY offense...wouldn't matter. NDSU put on a defensive show in the playoffs last year. Kudos.

Folks need to stop acting like Jaybo Shaw is the reason we lost...i can think of a few more:

1. fumbling the ball away on your own 20 yard line without being touched (mesh fumble).
2. Letting NDSU run for about 500 yards.
3. Letting NDSU hit two trick plays for TDs (QB naked boot and double reverse)
4. fumbling the ball away on the NDSU 5 yard line after hitting a big play action pass (J.J. Wilcox)
5. Our head coach inexplicably trying for a fake FG instead of taking the 3 points before the end of the first half.
6. Not being able to block NDSU's fantastic safety who was blowing up perimeter running plays all day.
7. Not being able to punch the ball in from the 1 yard line late in the game.

...I could go on forever. There are about a million reasons outside of Jaybo Shaw's speed why we lost that game. NDSU had a championship caliber defense (like Alabama).

penguinpower
September 13th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Respectfully,

Here's an old farts prospective on the GSU/NDSU game last season.

My team, the Georgia Southern University Eagles got taken to the woodshed by a superior NDSU football team.

I don't believe ANY quarterback we could have put on the field (including our two very, very good quarterbacks from this season) would have made the difference in the outcome.

The NDSU team was awesome, and that defensive back with the cast on his arm (I forget his number) probably had the best game of his career... HE was awesome.

Now that I've said that, if I am correct, NDSU only has one National Championship in this division, right?

And that National Championship was last year....

My Georgia Southern University has SIX National Championship flags flying in Paulson Stadium. I know, I know, "ancient history" right?

Well, let me respectfully suggest that the ONE National Championship won last season by the fantastic NDSU football team was won LAST SEASON..

Last season ~ ANCIENT HISTORY folks.

The only folks who give a crap about "old" Championships are the players and fans from the school who won the suckers.. Nobody else looks "BACK" or gives a crap. The last Championship won could have been one year ago, or twenty, no difference, ancient history.

I would suggest that college football is basically a "what have you done for me lately" deal.. And last season's National Championship winner is old news. IF NDSU manages to win a 2nd National Championship, THIS SEASON, then they can celebrate their 2nd National Championship flag, just as APP State can be proud of their 3 National Championship flags...

AS we are proud of our SIX.

Anybody who realistically thinks GSU could have beaten NDSU at their house last season, no matter the quarterback, didn't watch the same game I did.

We got our butts handed to us by a vastly superior team.

Last year.... LOL

It's a new season, with a new National Champion to be crowned.. xtroublex

Just personal, old fart, opinion, no offense to my fellow GSU fans, nor those from NDSU, or any other Institution..

J.

You forgot about our 4.

TwoFeathers
September 13th, 2012, 09:55 PM
that's like two guys. The people with a brain realize that the best team in the country won the national title last year. GSU would have had to play perfect to win last year and we clearly didn't. Instead we squandered pretty much all scoring opportunities and NDSU ran down our throats as the game wore on.

I'm tired of people acting like schemes win games...they don't. I love the flexbone offense, but it's only as good as the athletes running it. That's why we lost to NDSU...couldn't block them. We could have been running ANY offense...wouldn't matter. NDSU put on a defensive show in the playoffs last year. Kudos.

Folks need to stop acting like Jaybo Shaw is the reason we lost...i can think of a few more:

1. fumbling the ball away on your own 20 yard line without being touched (mesh fumble).
2. Letting NDSU run for about 500 yards.
3. Letting NDSU hit two trick plays for TDs (QB naked boot and double reverse)
4. fumbling the ball away on the NDSU 5 yard line after hitting a big play action pass (J.J. Wilcox)
5. Our head coach inexplicably trying for a fake FG instead of taking the 3 points before the end of the first half.
6. Not being able to block NDSU's fantastic safety who was blowing up perimeter running plays all day.
7. Not being able to punch the ball in from the 1 yard line late in the game.

...I could go on forever. There are about a million reasons outside of Jaybo Shaw's speed why we lost that game. NDSU had a championship caliber defense (like Alabama).

I would argue Jaybo was a big reason GSU made it to 2 Semis in a row.

blueballs
September 14th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I would argue Jaybo was THE reason GSU made it to 2 Semis in a row.

FIFY... if he hadn't transferred to GSU following Monken the past two years would have turned out WAAAAAAAAAAAAY differently.

All the proof anybody needs of that is the 2010 spring game.