PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh vs Monmouth Game Thread

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 11:27 AM
Just about game time! I'll be here for much of the first half, then again sometime in the 3rd quarter!

Time to make a statement!
Go Lehigh!!

JMG1MON
September 1st, 2012, 11:43 AM
Here at Goodman. Ugly start by Monmouth. Gashing us so far. Lehigh in the red zone.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 11:43 AM
Lehigh moving the ball well on their opening drive. Down to the MU 24...

Colvin 4-4 so far...Barket runnng through big holes

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 11:46 AM
Colvin bulls his way into the endzone!!

7-0 Lehigh 8:36 1Q....Monmouth better get a couple first downs...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 11:51 AM
3 and out for Monmouth! Not good for MU on a hot day...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 11:55 AM
Barket fumbles on 3rd down. First down Monmouth at their own 42...

Lehigh can't help MU stay in the game....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 11:57 AM
Lehigh intercepts Frazier on third down! Les goo offense!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 12:02 PM
Lehigh marching again...inside the MU 20...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 12:03 PM
TD Lehigh!! The offense is rolling!!

14-0 Lehigh 4:22 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 12:11 PM
Lehigh defense smotherinth e MU offense.

First down LU at the MU 20....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 12:14 PM
Couple big injuries for Lehigh

Vuonu witha knee....Haggins now just got rolled up on

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 12:16 PM
whew...haggins looks ok

The Monmouth defense finally holds!

End of 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 12:23 PM
Lehigh forces another 3 and out...

Suggs with a really nice return to inside the MU 40!

Vuono done for the day....could be a big loss...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 12:27 PM
Colvin throws an INT, ugh...

2 Lehigh turnovers...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 12:29 PM
Monmouth appears to be going for it on 4th and 1...LU player jumps, first down MU

Pard4Life
September 1st, 2012, 12:53 PM
Not rearing my Pard prose here, but you guys have terrible media coverage and online interface... the live in-game tracker is terrible and practically useless, and you are not even on TV in the region i.e. Philadelphia.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 12:56 PM
I just got to work...is it still 14-7?

JMG1MON
September 1st, 2012, 01:01 PM
21-7 at halftime. Colvin hits 80 for a 25 yd TD 52 seconds before half. Your stadium announcer is a comedian. Frazier sacked on last play of half and goes "Down goes Frazier"!

The Historian
September 1st, 2012, 01:01 PM
Late TD pass Colvin to Kurfis for 25 yards makes it 21-7 at the half.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 01:02 PM
LOL...the Lehigh defense looked really good.

Colvin has been solid. Telegraphing a few passes but overall solid.

The Historian
September 1st, 2012, 01:14 PM
Well my internet video just died and will not reload list of events. See what happens to technical skills when you change your name from Engineers.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 01:21 PM
3rd Q about to start...

Monmouth to receive...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 01:23 PM
Any updates on Vuonu and Haggins?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 01:24 PM
Monmouth moving the ball, down to the LU 35...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 01:26 PM
Monmouth really moving the ball well! Down to the LU 15..

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 01:29 PM
Lehigh's defense stiffens, MU settles for a FG

21-10 LU with about 10 minutes left in 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 01:34 PM
Lehigh goes 3 and out...

I'd like to see them take a few more shops deep to loosen up the MU D.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 01:38 PM
Monmouth is really starting to move the ball well. Lehigh needs to tighten up their D...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 01:41 PM
Lehigh holds on 4th down!

Time for the offense to put together a drive and give the D a break!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 01:42 PM
Colvin picked off on the first play. ugh!!

The Lehigh defense looks to be getting tired.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 01:45 PM
Back-2-back PI calls against Lehigh has MU in business again...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 01:49 PM
TD Monmouth!

The Lehigh defense is really tired right now. If can't put together a drive they'll be in big trouble! The offense has run 4 plays this quarter...

Lehigh 21 MU 17 2:32 3Q

JMG1MON
September 1st, 2012, 01:50 PM
21-17 MU TD Frazier to Sterling for 15 yards! Can't understand why we didn't go for 2. Hope it doesn't cost us.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 01:53 PM
MU kick goes out of bounds. Lehigh to start in good field position. Time for Colvin and the running game to get it together...

JMG1MON
September 1st, 2012, 01:59 PM
Monmouth holds, FG attempt from 40 yds on first play of 4th for Lehigh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 02:01 PM
The video feed has died on me....

The whole stretch internet deal has died....can't even get to the lehigh site...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 02:08 PM
Lehigh must have missed the FG. It's amazing how much this game has changed since the first half....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 02:10 PM
Monmouth converts on 4th down to the Lehigh 26.

Lehigh is in big trouble....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 02:13 PM
Monmouth converts another 4th down...to the LU 15

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 02:15 PM
Lehigh stuffs Monmouth on 4th down at LU 7!

Lehigh's offense has to do something!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 02:18 PM
Lehigh with a big first down!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 02:19 PM
Colvin to Spadola gets LU out of harms way!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 02:23 PM
Lehigh 4th and a foot at the MU 33.....going for it....Lehigh moves, ugh!!! now they're punting....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 02:24 PM
Monmouth first down at the LU 22...that was a huge mistake by the LU O-linemen

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 02:27 PM
Mu converts a 4th down at their own 30

MU at midfield with about a minute left....

I can't believe this game has come to this,...MU probably wishes they went for the FG earlier

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 02:32 PM
Lehigh with an INT!! whew! it appears they're going survive...

Lehigh played really well in the first half but fizzled in the second. The pieces are in place for really good year if the offense finds some consistency. The injuries on the OL is a concern.

Monmouth is better than they were last year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 02:36 PM
Lehigh has 4th down around midfield....punts MU ball at the LU 8 with about 20 seconds left...

another injured LU players, this time wr Kurfis....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 02:39 PM
Lehigh tacks on a defensive TD at the end to notch a 27-17 win!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 02:46 PM
Lehigh really got hit with injuries today.

They lost two starting OL and their excellent TE.

RichH2
September 1st, 2012, 03:16 PM
Lets hope injuries not serious. Win showed determination but little else. MU surely better than last time. We have aways to go to become a good team. Both O and D showed flashes of how good they can be but so inconsistent. So many mistakes. Gave up too many scoring shots in MU territory and let them go up and down the field in the 2nd half.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 03:19 PM
Lets hope injuries not serious. Win showed determination but little else. MU surely better than last time. We have aways to go to become a good team. Both O and D showed flashes of how good they can be but so inconsistent. So many mistakes. Gave up too many scoring shots in MU territory and let them go up and down the field in the 2nd half.

This game reminded me of the Drake opener two years ago. Lehigh came out and dominated the first half only to go through the motions after halftime.

Engineer86
September 1st, 2012, 03:40 PM
Lehigh has some work to do. The defense in the second half really struggled. Colvin had open receivers that he missed. Carney, the schedule will be the saving grace.

Pard4Life
September 1st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Right, I heard that Lehigh's defense did not look sharp (I don't get SE2).

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 03:47 PM
Right, I heard that Lehigh's defense did not look sharp (I don't get SE2).

I think it was the offense more than the defense. Lehigh ran 4 offensive plays in the 3rd Q which led to the D running out of gas on a hot day.

Pard4Life
September 1st, 2012, 03:49 PM
I think it was the offense more than the defense. Lehigh ran 4 offensive plays in the 3rd Q which led to the D running out of gas on a hot day.

Maybe... maybe..

Southsider
September 1st, 2012, 03:54 PM
LU over/under.........definitely UNDER..Clvin has a loooooooong way to goooooooooo

Pard4Life
September 1st, 2012, 03:58 PM
LU over/under.........definitely UNDER..Clvin has a loooooooong way to goooooooooo

With your schedule... even I'm banking on 9 wins.

Southsider
September 1st, 2012, 04:22 PM
I'm sure they will improve along the way, but to pull out 9 they will need to dominate some teams, or get very lucky. I just don't see it happening. Definitely plenty of talent, though.

JMG1MON
September 1st, 2012, 04:29 PM
Just got back home. First, congrats to Lehigh on a gut-check win. Second, I hope your players aren't seriously injured. Third, this is one of the tougher games I've watched this team lose in a looooong time. I said at the time, MU should have gone for two. The difference between 5 and 4 is marginal. The difference between 4 and 3 is massive. I'm proud of MU, but this is a game they should have won. Besides two big pass plays, LU did nothing on offense in the second half. Best of luck to Lehigh on the rest of the season. Hopefully Monmouth can use this as a catalyst towards a good season.

RichH2
September 1st, 2012, 04:39 PM
Best of luch JMG team.is certainly much improved. This time we faded in 2nd half not MU.

Go...gate
September 1st, 2012, 04:48 PM
A win is a win - congrats to the Engineers.

Happy also to see that Monmouth has a capable team.

Fordham
September 1st, 2012, 04:59 PM
Congrats Lehigh!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 05:01 PM
I'm not going to read too much into this. Lehigh played really well in the first half, got hit with some injuries and held on against an experienced team. While the score was obviously closer than I expected it wasn't a huge surprise. I expect the offense to be in better form next week for 4 quarters.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 05:37 PM
SBU is up 20-0 on CCSU in the first quarter....

van
September 1st, 2012, 07:23 PM
tale of 2 halves, Colvin really sharp in 1st quarter, after Sergio let that ball go through his hands the tide turned. Colvin looked rattled at times but sure has skills, just needs to settle down, D seemed to run out of gas, worried about front 7, good adjustments by Monmouth, give them credit. One pass completed to a TE and one to a FB, none to TB. Can't continue to rely only on Ryan. Kurfis hurt, who fills in? Josh Parris looked good. Peery booming his kick offs, but missed both FGs. Divers, 5 great punts, one clunker. Suggs looked good on punt returns. Anyway, biggest improvement should come in week 2, let's hope so.

RichH2
September 1st, 2012, 07:31 PM
Better CCSU not as good but if we dont cut down on dumb mistakes Liberty will destroy us.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2012, 07:35 PM
Better CCSU not as good but if we dont cut down on dumb mistakes Liberty will destroy us.

CCSU is losing 42-17 to SBU late in the 4th.

The key is the injuries imo. The coaches will get things cleaned up but the injuries will be tough to overcome if they're serious.

I really thought the game today was a lot like the Drake opener two years ago except that Monmouth was better than DU.

ngineer
September 1st, 2012, 09:04 PM
Just got home from a late dinner. I was at the game and agree with a lot of the posts. How bad the injuries are to Kurfis and Vuono will be huge. Haggns looked like an minor ankle sprain. However, some youngsters got a shot today and showed some stuff. Parris very capable with decent speed and good hands in traffic. Second half I would blame the O for not moving the ball and giving the D a break on a stinkin' hot day. MU outweighed our D front about 30 lbs per, and the run game became effective in the third quarter. I thought two coaching decisions, one by each team, were critical. First, after MU scored to make it 21-10, we should have come out and tried to run the ball and try and control the clock a bit. Instead, Colvin throws in INT on the first play and D has to go right out again, and tired. MU took it to them. However, when MU went for the first down in the red zone with 9 minutes to go and down only 21-17, rather than a FG was huge. MU's kicker is great--has an NFL leg and that was a chip shot. Instead, we held on the second fourth down attempt and then moved the ball out and took a lot of time off the clock. If a FG is made, MU is in great position to win later on with that kicker. Down by four, however, changed the complexion on how the rest of the game is called.
LU had a massive amount of mistakes, from some poor penalties, to wrong routes, to overthrown receivers. Peery showed a much stronger leg. His miss from 45 yards had 10 yards to spare. So at least we have someone who can give us a shot at a long FG should need arise. Accuracy must improve. Divers' punting was excellent, but for on shank. Had he not hit that bad one his average to that point was 46 yds NET! With Moore out from a concussion two weeks ago, losing Vuono could be huge. Kurfis will be missed, too, if bad, but we have some depth at WR. Knott showed his speed on the screen pass for the second TD. Colvin showed his physical skills, but he really needs to settle down. The one INT should never have been thrown as the receiver was well covered. Because of his strong arm, I think he thinks he can rifle it anywhere, and that mentality has to change.
A win with this many mistakes must be taken for what it is, a learning experience. The old adage is a team should be measured the improvement from the first to second week of the season, so we shall see. We have good talent and MU had a very veteran squad (19 returning starters) with some definite NFL prospects. Sterling the WR is a monster of a target, and their TE is also a force. I thought our D played well under the conditions. A big, team with a strong run game will give us problems. Our front seven are quick, but overall not as big as one would like. But I like the energy and big plays they came up with when needed. Monmouth certainly has the talent to contend in the NEC. Good luck to the Hawks for the balance of the season.

van
September 2nd, 2012, 05:28 AM
Just got home from a late dinner. I was at the game and agree with a lot of the posts. How bad the injuries are to Kurfis and Vuono will be huge. Haggns looked like an minor ankle sprain. However, some youngsters got a shot today and showed some stuff. Parris very capable with decent speed and good hands in traffic. Second half I would blame the O for not moving the ball and giving the D a break on a stinkin' hot day. MU outweighed our D front about 30 lbs per, and the run game became effective in the third quarter. I thought two coaching decisions, one by each team, were critical. First, after MU scored to make it 21-10, we should have come out and tried to run the ball and try and control the clock a bit. Instead, Colvin throws in INT on the first play and D has to go right out again, and tired. MU took it to them. However, when MU went for the first down in the red zone with 9 minutes to go and down only 21-17, rather than a FG was huge. MU's kicker is great--has an NFL leg and that was a chip shot. Instead, we held on the second fourth down attempt and then moved the ball out and took a lot of time off the clock. If a FG is made, MU is in great position to win later on with that kicker. Down by four, however, changed the complexion on how the rest of the game is called.
LU had a massive amount of mistakes, from some poor penalties, to wrong routes, to overthrown receivers. Peery showed a much stronger leg. His miss from 45 yards had 10 yards to spare. So at least we have someone who can give us a shot at a long FG should need arise. Accuracy must improve. Divers' punting was excellent, but for on shank. Had he not hit that bad one his average to that point was 46 yds NET! With Moore out from a concussion two weeks ago, losing Vuono could be huge. Kurfis will be missed, too, if bad, but we have some depth at WR. Knott showed his speed on the screen pass for the second TD. Colvin showed his physical skills, but he really needs to settle down. The one INT should never have been thrown as the receiver was well covered. Because of his strong arm, I think he thinks he can rifle it anywhere, and that mentality has to change.
A win with this many mistakes must be taken for what it is, a learning experience. The old adage is a team should be measured the improvement from the first to second week of the season, so we shall see. We have good talent and MU had a very veteran squad (19 returning starters) with some definite NFL prospects. Sterling the WR is a monster of a target, and their TE is also a force. I thought our D played well under the conditions. A big, team with a strong run game will give us problems. Our front seven are quick, but overall not as big as one would like. But I like the energy and big plays they came up with when needed. Monmouth certainly has the talent to contend in the NEC. Good luck to the Hawks for the balance of the season.

Good post, you and I saw things the same way. I felt that the ball that went through Sergio's hands was a big play and the momentum really seemed to turn at that point.

RichH2
September 2nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
We luck out with another prep game next week. Andy and Dave will clean things up. Ruley and Vuono are key injuries. Wr depth we can survive. Haggins did not app ear badly hurt. On D Leyton and Remington must step up. Admittedly Ricky, aconverted LB, is playing out of position by necessity. Newton was OK quick and agile very good pass rush needs strength tho.

van
September 2nd, 2012, 01:21 PM
pass rush did put some good pressure on MU QB, but to his credit he scrambled well and kept them in the game. Coen indicated that Moore may be ready to go this week which helps OL depth.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 2nd, 2012, 01:27 PM
pass rush did put some good pressure on MU QB, but to his credit he scrambled well and kept them in the game. Coen indicated that Moore may be ready to go this week which helps OL depth.

The Lehigh pass defense was very good imo.

Frazier 23/41 151 yards, for a whopping 3.4 avg after sacks!

The biggest problem was the running game going in the tank once Vuonu, Ruley and Haggins went out. The injuries put too much pressure on Colvin imo. He couldn't make "all the plays" which put too much weight on the D in 90* heat. Get the OL squared away, give Colvin his security blanket back (Haggins) and the offense will click.

RichH2
September 2nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
With Moore back in rotation OL should settle down. Agree, lack of run in 2nd killed O. Mike good but he can't yet carry the O by himself . Still Dave did not call a good half.

ngineer
September 2nd, 2012, 08:34 PM
We luck out with another prep game next week. Andy and Dave will clean things up. Ruley and Vuono are key injuries. Wr depth we can survive. Haggins did not app ear badly hurt. On D Leyton and Remington must step up. Admittedly Ricky, aconverted LB, is playing out of position by necessity. Newton was OK quick and agile very good pass rush needs strength tho.

Ruley, too?! Jeez...not good. Hopefully Moore will be back soon.

RichH2
September 2nd, 2012, 09:42 PM
Should be ready for CCSU.

ngineer
September 2nd, 2012, 11:23 PM
Should be ready for CCSU.

Both, all three OL?

RichH2
September 3rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
Sorry, should have been clearer. Moore. Rest?

Pard4Life
September 3rd, 2012, 10:33 AM
Just an FYI, you guys are definitely not at the level of #11 in the AGS poll.

MUHAWKS
September 3rd, 2012, 10:49 AM

I have to agree here.. While I am a Monmouth homer, we were 1 play away from a win..I have seen every MU gajme for the last 5 years and 90% of them since 2000 when I left the program. And trust me, we played about a B- game. Once we made adjustments at half lehigh had no answer. it was 21-7 turned into 21-17 with Lehigh unable to do antything.. Lehigh is a good team, but def not a # 11 type team. Shame we could not take advantage..

RichH2
September 3rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
Not yet but we will be.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 3rd, 2012, 11:40 AM

And if you watched Montana St, Montana or UD the samething could be said about them. It's hard to make any judgements after one game imo. Lehigh needs to play better this week though, especially if they get healthy.

Imo, Lehigh looked very much like the 11th ranked team in first half before it got ugly.

ngineer
September 3rd, 2012, 12:22 PM
One can never come away from any conclusions in from an opener. I am satisfied that this team has the talent to be in the top 10 this year. We lost four starters from the offense this week. That is going to have an impact. The defense was impressive in coming up with big plays when needed. MU has a decent amount of talent and should challenge in the NEC. If I recall, they beat Villanova last year. Granted, VU had a down year, but MU had almost the entire starting line up back again. To have continued the lopsided show from the first half would have resulted in too much laurel resting. Coen has a lot to work with this week. The key will be how well we improve this week.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 5th, 2012, 11:52 AM
My long nightmare is over. The recap is finally done!

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/09/lehigh-27-monmouth-17-final.html

Thanks to Steve L. at Lehigh for getting things straight with Stretch Internet.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 5th, 2012, 11:55 AM
The Lehigh pass defense was very good imo.

Frazier 23/41 151 yards, for a whopping 3.4 avg after sacks!

The biggest problem was the running game going in the tank once Vuonu, Ruley and Haggins went out. The injuries put too much pressure on Colvin imo. He couldn't make "all the plays" which put too much weight on the D in 90* heat. Get the OL squared away, give Colvin his security blanket back (Haggins) and the offense will click.

A real good point on the injuries, and a good point on the running game stopping the offense in the second half. I chalked it up more to second-half Monmouth adjustments though than the specific injuries in terms of stopping Lehigh's running game. Those 8-10 yard chunks by Colvin, Barket and Sherman really set the table for the TD passes in the first half. When they were gone, the offense sputtered.

RichH2
September 5th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Coyle not Haggins yet but he is a tough kid with good hands. Interested to see how Gaul does. Moved him from S to wr. Excellent athlete. OL hopefully will settle in . If this is going to be a weekly event, its going to be a very long season.

Pard4Life
September 5th, 2012, 12:12 PM
And if you watched Montana St, Montana or UD the samething could be said about them. It's hard to make any judgements after one game imo. Lehigh needs to play better this week though, especially if they get healthy.

Imo, Lehigh looked very much like the 11th ranked team in first half before it got ugly.

Maybe we can start basing rankings on halves instead?

I'll cut you some slack since CCSU is viewed to be a bit weaker than Monmouth. Stony Brook completely dominated them. If the Squawks have trouble, even for one half, you have to start asking questions.