PDA

View Full Version : Comegy Adds Ohio St Back to Jackson St

TexasTerror
July 18th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Comegy loves playing the 'Musical Chairs' game with scholarships. He's re-doing the whole team in Jackson and now he's bringing in a former Ohio St RB with all intentions of moving on up in the SWAC East. Jackson St will definitely be an interesting team to follow...

JSU lands ex-Ohio State back
# Heralded Haw acknowledges being able to play immediately key factor in becoming Tiger

By David Brandt
[email protected]

Pulling off an upset victory in a fierce recruiting battle, former Ohio State running back Erik Haw has announced he intends to play football for Jackson State.

Haw should be able to play immediately and has three years of eligibility remaining.

A third-year sophomore, Haw rushed for 61 yards and a touchdown on 14 carries last season for the Buckeyes, but decided to transfer after learning he'd likely be buried on the depth chart at running back going into this year.

"This is the kind of kid with legitimate top-end speed that can help take this team to the top," JSU coach Rick Comegy said. "It's an absolutely huge signing. The coaching staff did an amazing job reeling him in to JSU. He might be a guy that will be all over the record books by the time he's done here."

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060718/SPORTS030101/607180372/1073

GannonFan
July 18th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Not to knock Comegy here, but there's a difference between positive spin and setting the bar too high. Saying this kid is going to be all over the record books when he's done (and he's only going to be there 3 years max) is really setting this kid up for some pressure. No running back can do much without an offensive line and maybe a nice passing threat so even if this guy was as good as advertised if he doesn't have a team around him he's screwed. Like I said, if he were the coach of my team I wouldn't mind a little less hyperbole when I hype a kid who hasn't played a down for my team yet.

cosmo here
July 18th, 2006, 09:19 AM
The running back's only apparent blemish is a run-in with the law in May 2005, when he was caught smoking marijuana outside of a dorm and pleaded guilty to an amended charge of disorderly conduct.

Comegy would not comment on Haw's legal troubles, but Haw said it wouldn't be a problem at Jackson State.

"Some people don't realize that a 19-year-old is a work in progress, but that's what I was," Haw said. "Just about everybody knows I got in trouble because it's Ohio State football, but I learned a lot from it."

Well . . plus you were smoking marijuana outside a dorm. Other than that, it's Ohio State football's fault :confused: :rolleyes:

jstate83
July 18th, 2006, 10:02 AM
The running back's only apparent blemish is a run-in with the law in May 2005, when he was caught smoking marijuana outside of a dorm and pleaded guilty to an amended charge of disorderly conduct.

Comegy would not comment on Haw's legal troubles, but Haw said it wouldn't be a problem at Jackson State.

"Some people don't realize that a 19-year-old is a work in progress, but that's what I was," Haw said. "Just about everybody knows I got in trouble because it's Ohio State football, but I learned a lot from it."

Well . . plus you were smoking marijuana outside a dorm. Other than that, it's Ohio State football's fault :confused: :rolleyes:

I think what dude's is saying was because it was OHIO STATE FOOTBALL, a guy that was 3rd on the depth chart was front page news.................BECAUSE IT'S OHIO STATE FOOTBALL..................High profile program, National Champs, Big Ten, etc......

He didn't blame Ohio State.................He said he learned from it.

jstate83
July 18th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Not to knock Comegy here, but there's a difference between positive spin and setting the bar too high. Saying this kid is going to be all over the record books when he's done (and he's only going to be there 3 years max) is really setting this kid up for some pressure. No running back can do much without an offensive line and maybe a nice passing threat so even if this guy was as good as advertised if he doesn't have a team around him he's screwed. Like I said, if he were the coach of my team I wouldn't mind a little less hyperbole when I hype a kid who hasn't played a down for my team yet.

That's just talk.
He'll be a running arse to claim all the records here.
He'll be a running arse just to pass Carlo's Knight and Dextry Wright.
Passing Walter Peyton and Lewis Tillman.....................I don't think so.:smiley_wi

Dude's got about 5 running backs, including the starter from last year to beat out.

cosmo here
July 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I think what dude's is saying was because it was OHIO STATE FOOTBALL, a guy that was 3rd on the depth chart was front page news.................BECAUSE IT'S OHIO STATE FOOTBALL..................High profile program, National Champs, Big Ten, etc......

He didn't blame Ohio State.................He said he learned from it.

"Just about everybody knows I got in trouble because it's Ohio State football."

Whether it's front page news or not, he's still in trouble, and it's still attached to his name, whether he's playing at Ohio State or transferring to another school. Maybe the quote didn't come out the way he intended, but it still gives the appearance that they were out to get him since he was a big fish in Columbus.

catdaddy2402
July 18th, 2006, 12:11 PM
"Just about everybody knows I got in trouble because it's Ohio State football."

Whether it's front page news or not, he's still in trouble, and it's still attached to his name, whether he's playing at Ohio State or transferring to another school. Maybe the quote didn't come out the way he intended, but it still gives the appearance that they were out to get him since he was a big fish in Columbus.

I take it as him saying had he been the 3rd string RB at Ohio Wesleyan instead of Ohio State that it wouldn't have even been in the knews.
I can see where the confusion comes from, but IMO he's not blaming Ohio State....he's just saying that had he been somewhere less out of the limelight it likely wouldn't have been news.