PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown AD Discusses Football Scholarships, Scheduling

DFW HOYA
August 31st, 2012, 09:05 AM
Selected quotes:

On scholarships: "Most schools are starting to make a move towards merit aid. Right now, we haven’t made that decision yet. That’s not what we’ve been or what we want to do. We’ll maintain our position as a need-based aid program.”

On the Patriot League: “Like anything, leagues evolve as policies change. We continue to assess that in terms of where we are and what our ability to be successful is. We’ll go through that process over the next couple years.”

On scheduling: “I think you’ll see a lot more Ivy League schools on our football schedule, intentionally, because they are need-based as well. We want to play schools that have a similar philosophy when it comes to aid. We are running out of schools to do that against, so it makes sense because the Ivies are our peers.”

http://www.thehoya.com/sports/reed-sees-bright-future-in-iac-plans-1.2889891

Go...gate
August 31st, 2012, 09:16 AM
I'm really looking forward to our September 21st game. Pretty excited to have it on ESPNU. I'd love to play Georgetown regularly, and it looks like our schedule is heading that direction.

Yes. Sadly, however, the series with Colgate, which has run for over a century, appears to be ending.

CFBfan
August 31st, 2012, 09:17 AM
DFW how do you read this? do you forsee a possible ivy membership? or will it just be more ivies on the schedule??

bonarae
August 31st, 2012, 09:25 AM
On scholarships: "Most schools are starting to make a move towards merit aid. Right now, we haven’t made that decision yet. That’s not what we’ve been or what we want to do. We’ll maintain our position as a need-based aid program.”

On scheduling: “I think you’ll see a lot more Ivy League schools on our football schedule, intentionally, because they are need-based as well. We want to play schools that have a similar philosophy when it comes to aid. We are running out of schools to do that against, so it makes sense because the Ivies are our peers.”

Scholarships: Is the basketball program the virtual inverse of the football program at Georgetown? xchinscratchx

Scheduling: I'm afraid our football teams are headed towards oblivion, unless something radical/wishful comes out of their minds and they would become open to more diversity among opponents. xsmhx Right now, I'm wishing for Wofford, UC Davis or Cal Poly, or any FBS team with top-rank acads (e.g. Vandy, Duke) to be on Harvard's future schedule.

Go...gate
August 31st, 2012, 09:32 AM
Scholarships: Is the basketball program the virtual inverse of the football program at Georgetown? xchinscratchx

Scheduling: I'm afraid our football teams are headed towards oblivion, unless something radical/wishful comes out of their minds and they would become open to more diversity among opponents. xsmhx Right now, I'm wishing for Wofford, UC Davis or Cal Poly, or any FBS team with top-rank acads (e.g. Vandy, Duke) to be on Harvard's future schedule.

I believe that is the scenario the PL faced. A lot of PL people, like me, would rather play the Ivies than anybody else - period. However, there was increasing concern that the PL was becoming completely non-competitive in Division I.

bulldog10jw
August 31st, 2012, 09:34 AM

Yale plays at Cal Poly next year

Go...gate
August 31st, 2012, 09:41 AM
I thought we played you in 2014 and 2015? But two games does not a series sustain, I guess.

We do, but based upon PU future scheduling, unless an eleventh game is added, the teams will probably not play again. And that is very sad. I believe we are Princeton's most-played rivalry outside of the Ivies, Rutgers and Lafayette.

UNH Fanboi
August 31st, 2012, 09:42 AM
DFW how do you read this? do you forsee a possible ivy membership? or will it just be more ivies on the schedule??

Ivy membership never gonna happen.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2012, 09:43 AM

Still running that falsehood up the flagpole, I see. Harvard's about as "need-based" as Delaware.

DFW HOYA
August 31st, 2012, 09:55 AM
Scholarships: Is the basketball program the virtual inverse of the football program at Georgetown?

Not really. The same rules which you infer to basketball schoalrships can apply to Georgetown track, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, etc. because the Big East has different scholarship parameters than the Patriot League. I don't hear many complaints that the track program is the virtual inverse of the football program at Georgetown.

In a 29 sport program, the demand for adding 60 men's scholarships into the mix is not sustainable within a funding model where there is only one primary revenue sport. To suggest that the PL could drive enough revenues to support 60 scholarship football is unrealistic.

carney2
August 31st, 2012, 11:03 AM
Do you think Princeton will be pulling away from the Patriot League in general, or just Colgate?

Some games - Lafayette, Lehigh and Bucknell in particular - just make too much sense from a geographical and cost (travel) standpoint to be completely abandoned by Princeton. Similar matchups are available for almost every Ivy League school. Personally, I think way too much is being made of a hypothetical Ivy aversion to Patriot League scholarships. If there are fewer games it will be because the Ivys have moved into the 21st century and have made a conscious decision to broaden their scheduling horizons. There are minor indications already that this may be starting.

As for Colgate, the old "you can't get there from here" thing will always be in play.

RichH2
August 31st, 2012, 11:30 AM
A discussion, but nothing new. Unless they are funded from an alum merit aid wont happen. Fear they will go the way of Davidson
Once they become noncompetitive for a stretch of yrs. PFL. It will be a while before they fall far behind, Kelly has built a very solid program.

Go...gate
August 31st, 2012, 11:59 AM
Do you think Princeton will be pulling away from the Patriot League in general, or just Colgate?

I hope not. Moreover, the old "you can't get there from here" argument has been obsolete since the 1970's with the full completion of Routes 80, 380 and 81.

Also, Princeton has nowhere near the history in sports with Lehigh and Bucknell that it has with Colgate.

lehighfball
August 31st, 2012, 12:57 PM
I hope not. Moreover, the old "you can't get there from here" argument has been obsolete since the 1970's with the full completion of Routes 80, 380 and 81.

Also, Princeton has nowhere near the history in sports with Lehigh and Bucknell that it has with Colgate.

When it comes to football, Lehigh has played Princeton more times than Colgate. Princeton vs. Lehigh 39-14-2, Princeton vs. Colgate 25-25-1
Colgate's record against Princeton is better than Lehigh's , but Lehigh played Princeton before Colgate did, first game was in 1887. So much for history. Don't know about Bucknell. The only PL team that I know of that played Princeton earlier than 1887 is Lafayette, but I still think Lehigh played Princeton more times.

Pard4Life
August 31st, 2012, 01:07 PM
Why do you think Princeton's relationship with Colgate is ending?

Lehigh has played Princeton more than LC. Our Ivy partner is Penn... 89 times.

MplsBison
August 31st, 2012, 01:10 PM
This is absolutely no different than Dayton.

When merit aid is convenient, like for men's basketball - low input money, low effect on student body metrics, high reward - then merit aid is great.

When merit aid is inconvenient, like for I-AA football - high input money, high effect on student body metrics, low reward - then merit aid is incompatible with the school's ideology.

Just say it like it is: we don't have the money to fund I-AA football the way it deserves to be funded and we wouldn't get the same exposure as we do in men's bball, so we're not going to do it.

Go...gate
August 31st, 2012, 02:32 PM
When it comes to football, Lehigh has played Princeton more times than Colgate. Princeton vs. Lehigh 39-14-2, Princeton vs. Colgate 25-25-1
Colgate's record against Princeton is better than Lehigh's , but Lehigh played Princeton before Colgate did, first game was in 1887. So much for history. Don't know about Bucknell. The only PL team that I know of that played Princeton earlier than 1887 is Lafayette, but I still think Lehigh played Princeton more times.

Sorry - I stand corrected on Lehigh. Should have checked the series records.

Princeton is 13-3-0 all-time vs. Bucknell.

bison137
August 31st, 2012, 10:54 PM
Bucknell's only marginally closer than Colgate.

Assuming that 90 minutes is marginal for a football team riding a bus.

Gangtackle11
March 25th, 2017, 05:17 AM
Selected quotes:

On the Patriot League: “Like anything, leagues evolve as policies change. We continue to assess that in terms of where we are and what our ability to be successful is. We’ll go through that process over the next couple years.”

I got the idea of scheduling from you here.

Go Green
March 25th, 2017, 06:49 AM
On scheduling: “I think you’ll see a lot more Ivy League schools on our football schedule,

"A lot more"?

Three a year isn't enough already?

Sitting Bull
March 25th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Seems as if Georgetown would be a better fit in the Pioneer, or just move to D3. Not sure how long you can pool yourself in FCS with the significant lack of investment and resources, i.e., interest.

GodHelpTheBears
March 25th, 2017, 08:50 AM

Harvard-Stanford would be fun and would get some national press.

Too bad it would be on the PAC-12 network, so about 7 people in the world could watch it.

DFW HOYA
March 25th, 2017, 08:55 AM
Seems as if Georgetown would be a better fit in the Pioneer, or just move to D3. Not sure how long you can pool yourself in FCS with the significant lack of investment and resources, i.e., interest.

As noted before:

1. It won't move to the Pioneer because 10 of the 11 PFL schools offer merit-based financial aid and Georgetown does not.

2. It can't move to Division III because the NCAA won't allow it, and frankly has no interest in this. Unlike PFL schools, Georgetown hasn't scheduled an opponent below Division I in over 20 years.

3. Investment wise, it's much more spend than a Pioneer team and comparable with the NEC. There's very little impetus to spend extra money to compete in a league that they're not a part of, and where the admissions criteria make it very difficult to compete on a consistent basis.

At some point it may need to go independent, NEC, or even CAA. (And if you laugh at that one by being a non-scholarship team against 63 scholarship opponents, ask how they'll do long term as a non-scholarship team against 60 scholarship opponents. At least in the CAA they could recruit all segments of the SAT bell curve and not just the top 15%.)

citdog
March 25th, 2017, 02:19 PM
the bell curve

Racist

Sitting Bull
March 25th, 2017, 04:34 PM
As noted before:

At least in the CAA they could recruit all segments of the SAT bell curve and not just the top 15%.)

Oh please. If you're saying your football program has different recruiting parameters than your basketball program, that's an internal issue.

DFW HOYA
March 25th, 2017, 06:38 PM
Oh please. If you're saying your football program has different recruiting parameters than your basketball program, that's an internal issue.

Not only the basketball program, but the baseball program, the golf program, the swimming program, and 25 other sports at Georgetown not affiliated with the Patriot League's fealty to the Ivy League's admissions policies. Every Big East sport recruits kids below the average SAT line, whereby the coach can plead his/her case to get them admitted. Sometimes it's a yes, sometimes no. (Even basketball gets a few no's along the way--a number of years ago a kid that was all set to Georgetown got denied at the last minute and he ended up becoming a fine player at West Virginia.)

Not in the Patriot League. I wonder what other schools would think if a kid with a solid SAT applies to your school and the coach is told "we already have three of them with that SAT range, so you can't sign any more with that score." GU is left recruiting kids with little chance of playing simply because of SAT scores.

In my case, while I did not play football, I was nonetheless admitted to Georgetown and did well for myself, because the school, and only the school, made the final decision. If I was a football prospect today, chances are likely my GPA and SAT would not meet the arbitrary nature of the Academic Index and the coaches would have had to back off my application.

Bottom line: in football, Georgetown can only recruit what the Patriot League tells them to.

RichH2
March 25th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Not only the basketball program, but the baseball program, the golf program, the swimming program, and 25 other sports at Georgetown not affiliated with the Patriot League's fealty to the Ivy League's admissions policies. Every Big East sport recruits kids below the average SAT line, whereby the coach can plead his/her case to get them admitted. Sometimes it's a yes, sometimes no. (Even basketball gets a few no's along the way--a number of years ago a kid that was all set to Georgetown got denied at the last minute and he ended up becoming a fine player at West Virginia.)

Not in the Patriot League. I wonder what other schools would think if a kid with a solid SAT applies to your school and the coach is told "we already have three of them with that SAT range, so you can't sign any more with that score." GU is left recruiting kids with little chance of playing simply because of SAT scores.

In my case, while I did not play football, I was nonetheless admitted to Georgetown and did well for myself, because the school, and only the school, made the final decision. If I was a football prospect today, chances are likely my GPA and SAT would not meet the arbitrary nature of the Academic Index and the coaches would have had to back off my application.

Bottom line: in football, Georgetown can only recruit what the Patriot League tells them to.

Rather disingenuous DFW. The AI floor is well below Hoya admissions. Ample leeway to recruit good FCS players. The AI would no doubt impact other GU sports competing at a higher level.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 25th, 2017, 09:33 PM
Rather disingenuous DFW. The AI floor is well below Hoya admissions. Ample leeway to recruit good FCS players. The AI would no doubt impact other GU sports competing at a higher level.

The idea that the PL can only recruit Mensa Society members is absurd imo. Yes, it's tougher to get in but there's numerous kids on PL rosters with nothing more than solid B/B+ grades and respectable SAT scores (1000-1200). The key is making sure these recruits can make it academically once they're admitted.

ASU33
March 26th, 2017, 10:23 AM
Yes. Sadly, however, the series with Colgate, which has run for over a century, appears to be ending.

That sucks!

Go...gate
March 26th, 2017, 10:44 PM
ASU 33, you are absolutely correct.