PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League 2006 Champion?

Pard4Life
July 17th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Talk of the PL champs made me think of our distant cousins, the Ivy League.... who will win the Ivy title this year?

p.s. I've included Lafayette because we play Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn.. and Columbia until they dropped us. And it's a running Pard joke this year.

GaSouthern
July 17th, 2006, 12:29 PM
wow, I didnt know Lafayette was in the IL thanks to ncaa football 2006 game.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 17th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Come on, Lafayette as Ivy champs? Beating Yale, Harvard *and* Princeton in the same year? How likely is that to happen? :D

OL FU
July 17th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I voted for Cornell just to piss off 13:p

Go...gate
July 17th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Pennsylvania. Year-in, year-out, the strongest Ivy program since the early 1980's.

Ivytalk
July 17th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Harvard. Not-so-dark-horse: Cornell.

Pard4Life
July 17th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Come on, Lafayette as Ivy champs? Beating Yale, Harvard *and* Princeton in the same year? How likely is that to happen? :D

xlolx Stranger things have happened. I know it's crapshoot that we beat all four teams... unless turn out to be a steamroller. But that's not likely.

I find it amusing Columbia recieved a vote, as well as the Pards! :D

colgate13
July 17th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I voted for Cornell just to piss off 13:p

Hey, I won't mind if we beat the 'Ivy League Champion' Cornell team for 11 straight! ;)

But, you're on crack. :rotateh:

bulldog10jw
July 17th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Harvard has the fewest question marks. Depends on how they react to their "internal" problems. Cornell is a lot of people's "smart" pick, based on last years finish. Penn rarely has two down (relatively) years in a row. So naturally I'm picking Princeton, but a two or three way tie would not be a surprise.

Of course, Princeton WILL lose to Yale in the Bowl.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 17th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I agree - Princeton is pretty good. I think it's incredibly even through the top six - if you pick anyone except Dartmouth or Columbia, it's probably a good pick. It would not be surprising to see Harvard, Princeton, Brown, Penn... or even Cornell or Yale in the mix this year.

trojan5588
July 17th, 2006, 04:25 PM
i obviously know that the IVY's dont participate in the playoffs, which is kind of bogus, but can the 1-AA Independents get in based on a at-large berth, or are do they just really never go?? Also, any chance in the future the IVY's will go post season??

Marcus Garvey
July 17th, 2006, 04:26 PM
You gotta love the Lafayette "We can beat any Ivy League team as long it's Columbia" Leopards chances agains the IL this year! :rolleyes:

Cap'n Cat
July 17th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Man, I don't know a damned thing about the Ivy League. Who should I pick before I make an uneducated guess and piss up the poll?

:( :( :( :( :( :(

bulldog10jw
July 17th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Man, I don't know a damned thing about the Ivy League. Who should I pick before I make an uneducated guess and piss up the poll?

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Dartmouth is the only team without a vote. You would look like a genius if they came through.:nod:

Cap'n Cat
July 17th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Dartmouth is the only team without a vote. You would look like a genius if they came through.:nod:

Already picked Lafayette.

GeauxLions94
July 17th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I'm going with Cornell since one of their QB's (Tyler Lucas) is the son of our defensive coordinator. OK, take that back ... I like Harvard.

Go...gate
July 17th, 2006, 05:49 PM
If Lafayette wins the Ivy, will they have to decline the play-off bid? :p :cool: :smiley_wi

DFW HOYA
July 17th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Here goes:

Penn 6-1
Harvard 6-1
Cornell 4-3
Yale 4-3
Dartmouth 2-5
Princeton 2-5
Brown 2-5
Columbia 1-6

TheValleyRaider
July 17th, 2006, 09:33 PM
i obviously know that the IVY's dont participate in the playoffs, which is kind of bogus, but can the 1-AA Independents get in based on a at-large berth, or are do they just really never go?? Also, any chance in the future the IVY's will go post season??

If you're asking about I-AA Independents like Savannah State or Austin Peay then yes, technically they could make the postseason with a strong enough schedule. Independents making the playoffs happens relatively often (FAU 2003, several YSU and GSU National Title teams, etc.). If you're asking if an Ivy team could make the playoffs as an at-large, technically they could, but they'd simply refuse the bid, so there's no point to offering.

While discussion of their joining the playoffs is something of a :deadhorse: here, the short answer is that it's possible, but very very very unlikely in the near future.

Oh, and I'm picking Penn. Why? Well, why not?

ngineer
July 17th, 2006, 10:13 PM

Hell, under this rationale, Lehigh should be IL champs--something like 20-1 over the last 5-6 years against the Ivy. I think our only recent loss was that great game at Franklin field about 4 years ago.
I do think the Pards will get the Ivy monkey off their backs this year and go at least 2-2.;)

Pard4Life
July 18th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Wow, Lafayette has as many votes as Columbia, Brown, and Yale, with one less than Princeton.

Well.. the road the Ivy crown will begin to look clear when the Pards play three in a row vs. Penn, Princeton, and Yale in September. We will either be first or last. xlolx

ngineer, Lehigh does play many Ivies, but not as many as Lafayette on a yearly basis. Plus, you play A10 team frequently, like Villanova and Delaware. We were lucky to get Richmond once Towson bolted the PL.