PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions---Week of 9-1

JALMOND
August 28th, 2012, 11:30 PM
More teams, more games, more of a chance to come close to my personal best of 59 correct guesses, actually happened the very first year I did this. The conference predictions for the first weekend of football. All 13 teams in the Big Sky are in action, with more than half playing on Thursday (means brevity is a must). A note to the newbies, in doing these predictions, I abbreviate the Big Sky schools and spell out the non-conference teams (UNC is Northern Colorado, North Carolina would be spelled out). An attempt at perfection, here we go.

San Diego at CP---The Mustangs first game as a member of the Big Sky and a return of sorts to the conference for coach Walsh. Welcoming Pioneer Conference member, San Diego to their home confines...CP 31, San Diego 20.

EWU at Idaho---All the hubbub of the WAC's demise had some thinking about Idaho returning to the Big Sky. Idaho then thumbed their nose at us, so what better way to attempt to get back at them then to send the Eagles in...Idaho 33, EWU 30.

ISU at Air Force---Year 2 of Kramer's Bengal rebuilding project with some good returning pieces. Can they surprise against FBS Air Force Academy and get the upset? Ummm, no...Air Force 28, ISU 7.

South Dakota at UM---Time to put all the offseason nonsense behind and have the Grizzlies start the season at home. South Dakota is the first team to see if the Grizzly football team stayed focused through the turmoil...UM 21, South Dakota 17.

Chadron State at MSU---A few years back, DII Chadron State shocked the Bobcats after the Bobcats beat Colorado. Will this season be the same? Now that's funny...MSU 45, Chadron State 7.

South Dakota Mines at UND---The former Sioux has a former NAIA (and now DII) team come calling for their first game as a Big Sky member. Whatever their name may be, they should have no problem here...UND 34, South Dakota Mines 14.

NAU at Arizona State---The Jacks start the season with high expectations, as usual. This time they hope to see it through and a big win over the Pac-12 would be great. Except...Arizona State 38, NAU 21.

UNC at Utah---It's been a long time since the Bears have won a game on paper anyway (last year's Portland State game???). Now they have to face a team that expects to contend for the runner-up spot in the Pac-12 South...Utah 48, UNC 10.

Carroll College at PSU---The Vikings lost Kavanaugh and McCaffrey and welcome NAIA powerhouse Carroll College to their home field. Better not overlook Carroll College, they don't lose too often...PSU 40, Carroll College 17.

Sac State at New Mexico State---The Hornets got a big win in the opener last season at Oregon State and most definitely the Pac-12 is better than the reeling WAC. However, New Mexico State is better than Oregon State and this is this year...New Mexico State 38, Sac State 24.

SUU at Utah State---The Thunderbirds take their high flying offense up north to play the WAC's Utah State team, a team that stayed with Auburn for most of the game last year. Can the Thunderbirds get the upset?...Utah State 41, SUU 20.

Azusa Pacific at UCD---The Aggies welcome former NAIA power (and new DII) Azusa Pacific to their home for their first Big Sky game. While the offense tries to come to life, the Aggies will need to rely on defense...UCD 20, Azusa Pacific 6.

WSU at Fresno State---Turnover in the coaching ranks hit the Wildcats twice in the offseason and now they have to go to the WAC's Fresno State team. Can they get their act together in time?...Fresno State 28, WSU 20.

Some close games, but take the home teams.

bobcathpdevil56
August 28th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Great analysis JALMOND. I cant believe the season is already here. Eff yeah baby

coover
August 29th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Jalmond .. I will agree with each of your predictions as to the ultimate winner, however, I suspect some of your closer scores will not be anywhere near close at the end of the game.

EWU will win by a lot more than 3 over Idaho,

Air Force will probably score 40 or more and I'll agree with your 7 for ISU,

Montana will destroy a bad South Dakota team,

NAU will never know what hit them at ASU,

Davis will struggle but win against Azusa Pacific, and

Fresno State will probably score more than 50 while Weber will score 14 or less.

The other scores are just about right.

darell1976
August 30th, 2012, 07:38 AM
UNC @ Utah Utah 63 UNC 0
Sac St @ NM St NMSU 28 Sac St 27
SUU @ Utah St Utah St 31 SUU 17
Azusa Pac @ UC Davis UC Davis 38 Azusa Pac 10
EWU @ Idaho EWU 34 Idaho 27
Chadron St @ Montana St MSU 56 Chadron St 9
SD School of Mines @ North Dakota UND 52 SDSoM 3
NAU @ ASU ASU 35 NAU 14
South Dakota @ Montana UM 45 USD 13
ISU @ Air Force AF 41 ISU 10
SD @ Cal Poly Cal Poly 35 SD 3
Caroll College @ Portland St PSU 52 CC 6
Weber St @ Fresno State FSU 31 WSU 28 OT

JALMOND
September 2nd, 2012, 02:56 AM
More teams, more games, more of a chance to come close to my personal best of 59 correct guesses, actually happened the very first year I did this. The conference predictions for the first weekend of football. All 13 teams in the Big Sky are in action, with more than half playing on Thursday (means brevity is a must). A note to the newbies, in doing these predictions, I abbreviate the Big Sky schools and spell out the non-conference teams (UNC is Northern Colorado, North Carolina would be spelled out). An attempt at perfection, here we go.

San Diego at CP---The Mustangs first game as a member of the Big Sky and a return of sorts to the conference for coach Walsh. Welcoming Pioneer Conference member, San Diego to their home confines...CP 31, San Diego 20.

EWU at Idaho---All the hubbub of the WAC's demise had some thinking about Idaho returning to the Big Sky. Idaho then thumbed their nose at us, so what better way to attempt to get back at them then to send the Eagles in...Idaho 33, EWU 30.

ISU at Air Force---Year 2 of Kramer's Bengal rebuilding project with some good returning pieces. Can they surprise against FBS Air Force Academy and get the upset? Ummm, no...Air Force 28, ISU 7.

South Dakota at UM---Time to put all the offseason nonsense behind and have the Grizzlies start the season at home. South Dakota is the first team to see if the Grizzly football team stayed focused through the turmoil...UM 21, South Dakota 17.

Chadron State at MSU---A few years back, DII Chadron State shocked the Bobcats after the Bobcats beat Colorado. Will this season be the same? Now that's funny...MSU 45, Chadron State 7.

South Dakota Mines at UND---The former Sioux has a former NAIA (and now DII) team come calling for their first game as a Big Sky member. Whatever their name may be, they should have no problem here...UND 34, South Dakota Mines 14.

NAU at Arizona State---The Jacks start the season with high expectations, as usual. This time they hope to see it through and a big win over the Pac-12 would be great. Except...Arizona State 38, NAU 21.

UNC at Utah---It's been a long time since the Bears have won a game on paper anyway (last year's Portland State game???). Now they have to face a team that expects to contend for the runner-up spot in the Pac-12 South...Utah 48, UNC 10.

Carroll College at PSU---The Vikings lost Kavanaugh and McCaffrey and welcome NAIA powerhouse Carroll College to their home field. Better not overlook Carroll College, they don't lose too often...PSU 40, Carroll College 17.

Sac State at New Mexico State---The Hornets got a big win in the opener last season at Oregon State and most definitely the Pac-12 is better than the reeling WAC. However, New Mexico State is better than Oregon State and this is this year...New Mexico State 38, Sac State 24.

SUU at Utah State---The Thunderbirds take their high flying offense up north to play the WAC's Utah State team, a team that stayed with Auburn for most of the game last year. Can the Thunderbirds get the upset?...Utah State 41, SUU 20.

Azusa Pacific at UCD---The Aggies welcome former NAIA power (and new DII) Azusa Pacific to their home for their first Big Sky game. While the offense tries to come to life, the Aggies will need to rely on defense...UCD 20, Azusa Pacific 6.

WSU at Fresno State---Turnover in the coaching ranks hit the Wildcats twice in the offseason and now they have to go to the WAC's Fresno State team. Can they get their act together in time?...Fresno State 28, WSU 20.

Some close games, but take the home teams.

12-1 after the first week, that sounds strange. I should have seen that EWU would beat Idaho, but it did not make sense to me. Close enough, though.

BlueGoldAg
September 2nd, 2012, 11:48 AM
UNC @ Utah Utah 63 UNC 0
Sac St @ NM St NMSU 28 Sac St 27
SUU @ Utah St Utah St 31 SUU 17
Azusa Pac @ UC Davis UC Davis 38 Azusa Pac 10
EWU @ Idaho EWU 34 Idaho 27
Chadron St @ Montana St MSU 56 Chadron St 9
SD School of Mines @ North Dakota UND 52 SDSoM 3
NAU @ ASU ASU 35 NAU 14
South Dakota @ Montana UM 45 USD 13
ISU @ Air Force AF 41 ISU 10
SD @ Cal Poly Cal Poly 35 SD 3
Caroll College @ Portland St PSU 52 CC 6
Weber St @ Fresno State FSU 31 WSU 28 OT

The correct final score for Azusa Pacific @ UC Davis was UCD 41 Azusa Pacific 3. The Ags won big but their overall performance was just o'k. Our defense and our running game looked pretty good but our passing game was unimpressive. We'll need a much better performance plus some big breaks to be anywhere competitive with San Jose State this week.

darell1976
September 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
The correct final score for Azusa Pacific @ UC Davis was UCD 41 Azusa Pacific 3. The Ags won big but their overall performance was just o'k. Our defense and our running game looked pretty good but our passing game was unimpressive. We'll need a much better performance plus some big breaks to be anywhere competitive with San Jose State this week.

38-10...41-3 pretty close guess.xthumbsupx

BlueGoldAg
September 2nd, 2012, 01:44 PM
38-10...41-3 pretty close guess.xthumbsupx

Opps...I thought those were final scores. Great prediction, indeed! I didn't predict scores but I was 13-0 in my BSC picks this week...next week will be much tougher to gauge....

darell1976
September 2nd, 2012, 01:51 PM
Opps...I thought those were final scores. Great prediction, indeed! I didn't predict scores but I was 13-0 in my BSC picks this week...next week will be much tougher to gauge....

Me too. And as we head into conference play the games will get harder to predict.

Walkon79
September 4th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I picked a Sac upset, and was also 12-1.

bojeta
September 4th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I picked a Sac upset, and was also 12-1.

Same here....