PDA

View Full Version : 2012 North Dakota Football

darell1976
August 28th, 2012, 05:13 PM
New conference, new turf, new uniforms, new tv deal
http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205670445&DB_OEM_ID=13500

Thursday's game kicks off at 7:05 p.m. Veteran broadcaster Dan Hammer will call the action, with former North Dakota quarterback Tony Stein providing color analysis and UND Sports Show host Danny Luetzen serving as sideline reporter.

A free video webcast of the game is also available via Big Sky TV at www.bigskyconf.com.

UND and Midco Sports Network reached a 5-year television agreement in June that includes a minimum of 40 live UND Athletics events, plus up to 40 weekly special shows, each year of the contract. UND will also receive $1 million in rights fees over the length of the contract with live game broadcasts moving to high definition in the third year (2014-15) of the agreement.

Now new enhanced gameday experience:

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205670565&DB_OEM_ID=13500

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – North Dakota football fans will notice new and exciting improvements in the parking lot at the Alerus Center for the upcoming 2012 season. Fans are encouraged to arrive early and take in the atmosphere of the enhanced UND Football Gameday experience. The new “Tailgate Village” is the spot to be for pre-game food, fun and entertainment for all ages.

New this year, Tailgate Village provides a great place for all UND fans to hang out prior to the game. Located at the front of the parking lot, the improved tailgate spot features live music, inflatable games in the Jr. Champions Kid Zone as well as food and merchandise vendors.

Excitement is back in UND football, and ticket sales will reflect that excitement. GO UND!!!!!!!!

SportsLover
August 28th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Congrats you guys might fill half your stadium this season! xthumbsupx

frozennorth
August 28th, 2012, 06:53 PM
and i'm not sure that any students who don't have to be there know there is a game

MplsBison
August 28th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Awesome! Good luck in the Big Sky this season.

Will be rooting for you unless you happen to make it to Fargo for the playoffs :)

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2012, 07:05 PM

Will be rooting for you unless you happen to make it to Fargo for the playoffs :)

Then you'll really cheer for them.........xrolleyesx

underdawg
August 28th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Can any of either the ND or NDSU guys explain why North Dakota didn't join the MVCF instead of the SKY??

UNIFanSince1983
August 28th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Can any of either the ND or NDSU guys explain why North Dakota didn't join the MVCF instead of the SKY??

I do not believe they were invited to join the MVFC...

frozennorth
August 28th, 2012, 09:30 PM

The UND administration and assorted sycophants were collosal pricks when NDSU and SDSU made the jump. Alot of ****talking, politicking, and media horse crap from people who shouldn't be doing any such thing. Came back to bite them in the ***, for great justice. When the opportunity to join the summit (and eventually the mvfc) initially came around, they were resoundingly rejected.

Roger Thomas may have brought football back from the desert, but he also nearly demolished the universities athletics. Good ****ing riddance.

Of course the dead enders like darell will tell you the big sky is a better conference. At what, I'm not sure.

darell1976
August 28th, 2012, 10:26 PM

UND and South Dakota were almost set to join to the BSC at the same time until USD got an invite at the last minute to join the MVFC. Teams in the conference allowed 1 team but didn't want both Dakota teams to join so thats how UND ended up in the Big Sky. UND now has an AQ conference for all major sports (except baseball which is not sponsored by the BSC). UND couldn't be more happy to be in the BSC. Yes the MVFC makes sense with the other three Dakota teams, but UND has a lot of alumni in the west, plus a huge tv deal with Root Sports, and being in a very stable conference (unlike the Summit League) makes it a very nice place to be.

darell1976
August 28th, 2012, 10:27 PM
The UND administration and assorted sycophants were collosal pricks when NDSU and SDSU made the jump. Alot of ****talking, politicking, and media horse crap from people who shouldn't be doing any such thing. Came back to bite them in the ***, for great justice. When the opportunity to join the summit (and eventually the mvfc) initially came around, they were resoundingly rejected.

Roger Thomas may have brought football back from the desert, but he also nearly demolished the universities athletics. Good ****ing riddance.

Of course the dead enders like darell will tell you the big sky is a better conference. At what, I'm not sure.

Easy on the NDSU kool aid buddy...you might run out.

Twentysix
August 28th, 2012, 10:54 PM

You should try it some time, its delicious. It comes in National Championship flavor.

coover
August 29th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Re: "New this year, Tailgate Village provides a great place for all UND fans to hang out prior to the game. Located at the front of the parking lot, the improved tailgate spot features live music, inflatable games in the Jr. Champions Kid Zone as well as food and merchandise vendors. "

Just wondering ... does the Tailgate Village also provide 4 walls, a roof, and heating?

Ginsbach
August 29th, 2012, 12:56 AM
;)

frozennorth
August 29th, 2012, 01:19 AM

so are you ever going to find a school you went to to root for?

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 01:29 AM

Since I went to a business college in Grand Forks and was born and raised in there I root for the university that has a football team...I suppose until I get drafted in the NFL I can't be a fan of any of the 32 teams.

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Re: "New this year, Tailgate Village provides a great place for all UND fans to hang out prior to the game. Located at the front of the parking lot, the improved tailgate spot features live music, inflatable games in the Jr. Champions Kid Zone as well as food and merchandise vendors. "

Just wondering ... does the Tailgate Village also provide 4 walls, a roof, and heating?

That's what alcohol is for.

UNIFanSince1983
August 29th, 2012, 06:54 AM

This is funny. College sports would not be nearly as huge if people only cheered for schools they went to. Plus don't you go to UND and cheer for NDSU?

BisonBabe
August 29th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Well said

SDFS
August 29th, 2012, 07:30 AM

You do realize that you will get two completely different answers.. my short answer - UND was never invited to join the MVFC. NDSU was invited only after SDSU said that SDSU/NDSU are a package deal. USD was invited after it looked like the Summit League may be in trouble with USD moving to the Big Sky.

frozennorth
August 29th, 2012, 07:41 AM
This is funny. College sports would not be nearly as huge if people only cheered for schools they went to. Plus don't you go to UND and cheer for NDSU?

I'm of the bitter and disgruntled UND fan variety. The rest of my immediate family are NDSU alums.

I didn't play for, nor do I have any connection to any NFL teams, so I see no reason to root for any of them, and I find the NFL completely uninteresting. The FBS schools I actually support to a meaningful degree are both schools I was going to transfer to at one point or another. I can't imagine being a long term fan of a team I have no connection to, and I find walmart wolverines, and their equivalents at UNC, Duke, Texas, alabama, and so forth to be nauseating.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM

The Summit decided not to invite them because of the nickname issue. The conspiracy theorist UND fans will claim this is because Gene Taylor asked Tom Douple to do that.

If UND would have been invited to the Summit, it's possible they could've gotten the same last second deal that South Dakota got. But you never know.

They'd need both the Summit and MVFC, one alone wouldn't work.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 08:07 AM
;)

Ha!!!

Ok, I think even UND fans would have to admit that's pretty good. Who made that?

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Then you'll really cheer for them.........xrolleyesx

I root for NDSU 100% of the time, of course.

UND 95% of the time. U of Minn 90% of the time.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 29th, 2012, 08:16 AM

I totally agree with this. You wouldn't believe how many Ohio State rubes there are in this town that probably didn't graduate high school.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I totally agree with this. You wouldn't believe how many Ohio State rubes there are in this town that probably didn't graduate high school.

At least they're from Ohio. That gives them some right, in my mind, to root for the state's university.

I can't stand when people root for major, regional brands where they've never even lived near, let alone grew up in. People who root for the Steelers or the Pats or Ohio St...and grew up and have never left Minnesota. Just because they win. It's so easy rooting for a winner. Try being a Minnesota fan.

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Ha!!!

Ok, I think even UND fans would have to admit that's pretty good. Who made that?

I've seen that around the net. It is pretty funny. So if NDSU would have gotten into the Big Sky the little arrow would be pointing at both Fargo and Grand Forks?

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Game Notes: UND vs South Dakota School of Mines

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205670153

GRAND FORKS, N.D. - UND will officially plays its first game as a Big Sky and full Division I member against South Dakota School of Mines on Thursday, Aug. 30 at the Alerus Center. August games have been a rarity for the North Dakota football team, competing in only four during its history that dates back to 1894.

This will be the first meeting between the two teams on the gridiron as the squads will be the first to compete on the new Astroturf 3D GameDay Grass playing surface at the Alerus Center. UND just concluded its transition to the Division I level, gaining full status in early August, while SD Mines is continuing its transition to the Division II level.

NEW FACES, OLD PLACES
UND will be in a new league this season and with that usually comes new opponents, but the Green and White have actually played eight of the nine Big Sky teams on its docket. The only new opponent in that bunch is Eastern Washington - the 2010 FCS National Champion. There are two more new opponents on the schedule, but SD Mines and San Diego State are both non-conference tilts. Portland State, who is a Big Sky member, is the other non-conference game, but UND has played the Vikings twice before. Montana and Montana State are old North Central Conference rivalries that will be renewed with the membership in the BSC. UND has played Montana State 28 times and Montana 19 times before on the gridiron. The UND gridders will play those schools on back-to-back Saturdays in October this season.

UNDColorado
August 29th, 2012, 08:58 AM
You do realize that you will get two completely different answers.. my short answer - UND was never invited to join the MVFC. NDSU was invited only after SDSU said that SDSU/NDSU are a package deal. USD was invited after it looked like the Summit League may be in trouble with USD moving to the Big Sky.

This is accurate IMHO. UND probably would have gone to the MVFC if the invite was there as it makes sense to be paired with the other Dakota schools and it is a great conference. Instead we got the invite from the Sky and I think it will work out quite well. Plus, scheduling good OOC FCS games is tough so it is nice to have the close options in the three Dakota schools. I believe we play SDSU next year and it would be great to get USD and NDSU on future schedules. (when I read that question I was like ohhh ****, here we go lol)

F'N Hawks
August 29th, 2012, 09:16 AM
UND absolutely could have been in the Summit, the invitation was coming on the official visit on a Monday I believe. UND canceled the visit once the Big Sky offer came, on the Friday before if I recall. The problem was there was no guarantee of a MVFC invite.

It worked out fine for all involved.

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 09:16 AM
This is accurate IMHO. UND probably would have gone to the MVFC if the invite was there as it makes sense to be paired with the other Dakota schools and it is a great conference. Instead we got the invite from the Sky and I think it will work out quite well. Plus, scheduling good OOC FCS games is tough so it is nice to have the close options in the three Dakota schools. I believe we play SDSU next year and it would be great to get USD and NDSU on future schedules. (when I read that question I was like ohhh ****, here we go lol)

UND would've been in the Summit if the Big Sky didn't invite UND since the Summit was coming to Grand Forks for a visit but then when the BSC told UND they will be FULL members they told the SL thanks but no thanks. Summit didn't provide UND with a home and the MVFC wasn't talking to UND or USD at that time. So UND had to make a choice join the SL for olympic sports and risk ending up in the Indy league for football or take the BSC's offer and find a home for all sports. It worked out fine.

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 09:17 AM
UND absolutely could have been in the Summit, the invitation was coming on the official visit on a Monday I believe. UND canceled the visit once the Big Sky offer came, on the Friday before if I recall. The problem was there was no guarantee of a MVFC invite.

You beat me to it by a few seconds.xthumbsupx

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I've seen that around the net. It is pretty funny. So if NDSU would have gotten into the Big Sky the little arrow would be pointing at both Fargo and Grand Forks?

That's correct. NDSU wanted and assumed that the Big Sky would happen when it moved up to DI. Chapman thought he could get MSU's prez to push it through. No dice.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 09:52 AM

Ok, then why did USD back out of the Big Sky all-sports invite when it learned it could get Summit and MVFC membership at the last second?

In my opinion, the Summit was never on the table for UND - because of the nickname issue. You can claim and argue all you want if Taylor was involved in that or not. But a MVFC membership discussion, let along an invite, was never even going to be on the table for UND without first getting the invite to the Summit.

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Ok, then why did USD back out of the Big Sky all-sports invite when it learned it could get Summit and MVFC membership at the last second?

In my opinion, the Summit was never on the table for UND - because of the nickname issue. You can claim and argue all you want if Taylor was involved in that or not. But a MVFC membership discussion, let along an invite, was never even going to be on the table for UND without first getting the invite to the Summit.

Two things: 1. USD would have to pay an exit fee since they were already members of the Summit, and 2. SDBOR's. They would rather see USD travel partners with SDSU than UND. (just my opinion on number 2.)

moosbah
August 29th, 2012, 11:17 AM
At least they're from Ohio. That gives them some right, in my mind, to root for the state's university.

I can't stand when people root for major, regional brands where they've never even lived near, let alone grew up in. People who root for the Steelers or the Pats or Ohio St...and grew up and have never left Minnesota. Just because they win. It's so easy rooting for a winner. Try being a Minnesota fan.

I don't think you should be obligated to root for a team just because you were raised there. I know MANY people in Minnesota that don't root for the vikes, etc. for a number of reasons. They don't like the fans, the team, they were raised by parents that rooted for another team (whether they relocated from that area or not.), etc.

Being from ND, I liked the option of being able to root for whoever the hell I wanted to growing up. I didn't pick legacy winning teams for any of my favorites, just picked who I liked watching. Bothers me when people just assume as a North Dakotan that I grew up rooting for the vikes, Twins, etc.

But I digress. Apologies.

dmksioux
August 29th, 2012, 11:29 AM

So why did the Summit League announce they were moving up their site visit to UND by a couple of months? The Summit didn't think the Big Sky would go after UND/USD. Once they caught wind of the Big Sky's intentions, they began to scramble.

ndsubison
August 29th, 2012, 04:51 PM

Dude, REALLY?? You are an idiot.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 29th, 2012, 05:47 PM
At the end of the day, the BSC is worse off not having the Dakotas. the MVFC is way better off having them although I would have been happier to see the ND's in the same conference. Neither of us will feel the same as the old NCC days.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 29th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Two things: 1. USD would have to pay an exit fee since they were already members of the Summit, and 2. SDBOR's. They would rather see USD travel partners with SDSU than UND. (just my opinion on number 2.)

I think if push came to shove the MV would have taken UND if the Summit would have accepted UND. Maybe that would have gotten EIU or a SEMO to join the MV to make 12 teams. But we'll never know.

ndsubison
August 29th, 2012, 06:27 PM
At the end of the day, the BSC is worse off not having the Dakotas. the MVFC is way better off having them although I would have been happier to see the ND's in the same conference. Neither of us will feel the same as the old NCC days.

I also believe that the BSC would have been better with all the Dakota schools but timing wasnt in the cards. When the xDSU's applied, the conference turmoil wasn't as great and the BSC had the luxury of waiting. The State U's went on to flourish in and strengthen the MVFC and have proven themselves as respected and valuable members. Imagine if the Valley had been more aggressive in pursuing the U's of SD & ND, getting them both into the conference. That would be a nice, solid conference with good overall geographics. The BSC saw a very brief window and went after both U's. Theygot UND. This was a fantastic coup by UND and will no doubt serve them well. USD is also in very good (and tough) company in the Valley. I believe that UND will benefit more from its BSC membership than the BSC will benefit from having UND as the only representative of the Dakota 4. I can't really compare which conference got the better deal out of this one, with both the Valley and the Sky seemingly having differing visions on their respective futures. I think it's a win for both. Time will tell. In closing, it always makes me smile when a Valley team lays the wood to a Sky team in the playoffs. GO BISON!!

ndsubison
August 29th, 2012, 06:32 PM

BSC with all 4 Dakotas=WIN
MVFC with all 4 Dakotas=WIN

MVFC with 3 of 4 Dakotas>BSC with 1 Dakota

Edge: MVFC

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 06:42 PM
BSC with all 4 Dakotas=WIN
MVFC with all 4 Dakotas=WIN

MVFC with 3 of 4 Dakotas>BSC with 1 Dakota

Edge: MVFC

Why? The Dakota 4 are all in AQ conferences, 8 conference games, UND can schedule other BSC teams in OOC play, the other Dakota 3 can schedule a MVFC team in OOC play, if it all comes down to travel then why does the BSC win with 4 Dakota teams when travel is the same basically from Grand Forks to Bozeman and from Fargo to Bozeman. UND, would have possibly 3 close games (NDSU, USD, SDSU) but could travel to the west coast (UC Davis, CP, EWU, NAU, and PSU) in the other conference games. So is travel that much better?

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 06:48 PM

Fair point on number one.

But if UND had been done with the nickname controversy years ago, they would've gotten Summit invitation the same time USD did. Perhaps that same reasoning would've then made it much harder for UND to move to the Big Sky and at least put UND in the discussion for a Big Sky invite.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I don't think you should be obligated to root for a team just because you were raised there. I know MANY people in Minnesota that don't root for the vikes, etc. for a number of reasons. They don't like the fans, the team, they were raised by parents that rooted for another team (whether they relocated from that area or not.), etc.

Being from ND, I liked the option of being able to root for whoever the hell I wanted to growing up. I didn't pick legacy winning teams for any of my favorites, just picked who I liked watching. Bothers me when people just assume as a North Dakotan that I grew up rooting for the vikes, Twins, etc.

But I digress. Apologies.

Not obligated, no.

I just meant that growing up in Fargo at least gives you some right to root for NDSU even if you never attended the school. Not that you were obligated to do so. I don't like people who grew up in Fargo, have never left, but root for the New England Patriots. It's too easy.

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Fair point on number one.

But if UND had been done with the nickname controversy years ago, they would've gotten Summit invitation the same time USD did. Perhaps that same reasoning would've then made it much harder for UND to move to the Big Sky and at least put UND in the discussion for a Big Sky invite.

True, of course if UND moved up with the SU's things could have been different. Maybe all four would have been in the BSC or the MVFC. I guess we will never know.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 06:52 PM
So why did the Summit League announce they were moving up their site visit to UND by a couple of months? The Summit didn't think the Big Sky would go after UND/USD. Once they caught wind of the Big Sky's intentions, they began to scramble.

Sure, that's one theory. I'm not denying that the Summit wanted UND. But I'm saying they were "untouchable" in a sense because of the nickname controversy.

So many times in that battle, it seemed like UND turned the corner -- only for another lawsuit to be filed, or this petition or that thing. Etc. Perhaps the Summit was thinking the battle was finally over and that's why they thought they could move the meeting up sooner. No one really knows.

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Not obligated, no.

I just meant that growing up in Fargo at least gives you some right to root for NDSU even if you never attended the school. Not that you were obligated to do so. I don't like people who grew up in Fargo, have never left, but root for the New England Patriots. It's too easy.

I wouldn't want anyone cheering for the Patroits either.:D

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I think if push came to shove the MV would have taken UND if the Summit would have accepted UND. Maybe that would have gotten EIU or a SEMO to join the MV to make 12 teams. But we'll never know.

That would've been a dream. Even better would be if MO St and YSU found other conferences after that.

NDSU-UND
SDSU-USD
UNI-WIU
EIU-IN St
SIU-IL St

dakotadan
August 29th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Why would you want to kick out Missouri State? They are a flagship university.

darell1976
August 30th, 2012, 08:20 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/A1gAINHCQAAST4W.jpg

Jayson Hajdu‏@UNDSID

Well done, Wal-Mart! That UND display really, um, pops! #GoUND pic.twitter.com/I3QYRXJc

Fan support is surely back for UND football.

No_Skill
August 30th, 2012, 09:07 AM

Well done. Reps to you.

moosbah
August 30th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Not obligated, no.

Fair enough, I can respect that opinion.

frozennorth
August 30th, 2012, 10:15 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/A1gAINHCQAAST4W.jpg

Jayson Hajdu‏@UNDSID

Well done, Wal-Mart! That UND display really, um, pops! #GoUND pic.twitter.com/I3QYRXJc

Fan support is surely back for UND football.

why, because walmart make a UND sign out of pop cases for welcome weekend? I'm not opposed to the argument that fan support is improving, but meaningful evidence would be nice rather than this.

darell1976
August 30th, 2012, 10:26 AM
why, because walmart make a UND sign out of pop cases for welcome weekend? I'm not opposed to the argument that fan support is improving, but meaningful evidence would be nice rather than this.

Just wait until the attendance is posted after tonights game. Remember its against a DII team so if 10,000 people show up things are really on the rise for UND.

gotts
August 30th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Just wait until the attendance is posted after tonights game. Remember its against a DII team so if 10,000 people show up things are really on the rise for UND.

It's also a season opener on a Thursday in anticipation of a long weekend. Should be plenty of people around to attend the game. If it were on Saturday, things would be totally different.

frozennorth
August 30th, 2012, 11:30 AM
i'll be pleasantly surprised if attendance is

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5Me2I7aHajLL5eDMP9LCO5ULXUwNJQ fWkzH5kqv3CMvraP4zeEg&t=1

MarkyMark
August 30th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I think UND to the BSC was a great move for them in football. They can complete their transition to FCS without direct competition from NDSU and offer something completely different to recuits than the other teams from the Dakotas.

But... UND may have the worst travel schedule for their sports teams in the country after Hawaii. The cost for travel for your teams has got to be much greater than any school with a similar size and athletic budget in the country.

frozennorth
August 30th, 2012, 11:52 AM
I think UND to the BSC was a great move for them in football. They can complete their transition to FCS without direct competition from NDSU and offer something completely different to recuits than the other teams from the Dakotas.

But... UND may have the worst travel schedule for their sports teams in the country after Hawaii. The cost for travel for your teams has got to be much greater than any school with a similar size and athletic budget in the country.
san diego state will probably take that crown next year.

MplsBison
August 30th, 2012, 11:57 AM

I don't want to kick anyone out. I wish they'd choose to leave on their own.

And I know you were probably saying that tounge-in-cheek, but just in case: MSU is no flagship by any means.

MarkyMark
August 30th, 2012, 11:59 AM

San Diego is just moving football to the Big East. I know this a football thread but I was referring to the cost of UND sending all of its athletic teams to games across the BSC.

MplsBison
August 30th, 2012, 11:59 AM

Not even close. They're joining the Big West conf. Every sport but football will be bus trips (except to Hawaii and if Boise joins - but both of those schools would be subsidizing the rest league for travel).

UND, on the other hand, is sending every team to Sacramento, Portland, Spokane, Flagstaff, etc.

darell1976
August 30th, 2012, 12:05 PM
It's also a season opener on a Thursday in anticipation of a long weekend. Should be plenty of people around to attend the game. If it were on Saturday, things would be totally different.

Thursday season openers:

2007 (last year of DII) UND 59 Humboldt St 0 Attendance: 10,178
2008 (first year of DI) UND 40 Texas A&M-Kingsville 14 Attendance: 11,434
2011 UND 16 Drake 0 Attendance: 8,484 (3rd largest in 2011 behind Cal Poly 9930, and Black Hills State 8545)

darell1976
August 30th, 2012, 12:07 PM

Why do Bison fans mention travel?? Obviously travel wasn't an issue the two times NDSU tried to get into the Big Sky. I don't think there is much difference going from Flagstaff to Grand Forks as Flagstaff to Fargo.

MplsBison
August 30th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Why do Bison fans mention travel?? Obviously travel wasn't an issue the two times NDSU tried to get into the Big Sky. I don't think there is much difference going from Flagstaff to Grand Forks as Flagstaff to Fargo.

Not for the football team, no there isn't. You charter your own plane.

For the other teams that will have to fly commercial, it's going to be a LOT of flights from GF to SLC and busing from there or flying more.

darell1976
August 30th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Not for the football team, no there isn't. You charter your own plane.

For the other teams that will have to fly commercial, it's going to be a LOT of flights from GF to SLC and busing from there or flying more.

Travel is nothing new from our Great West days...at least its not multiple trips to Texas, and New Jersey. This way its mostly in the Rockies and the west coast.

MarkyMark
August 30th, 2012, 12:17 PM

It would have been an issue for NDSU too if we had joined the BSC, at that time we thought it was our only option. The difference now is that the BSC is larger and more spread out than ever. UND also ended up being the lone team from the Dakotas to join the BSC.

MplsBison
August 30th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Travel is nothing new from our Great West days...at least its not multiple trips to Texas, and New Jersey. This way its mostly in the Rockies and the west coast.

Travel expenses won't be a game stopper for UND in the Big Sky. The simple fact is that the density of DI teams around Fargo/GF, North Dakota is probably the lowest of anywhere in the US. No matter where you join the total miles traveled by the athletic department will be as high as any program in the US (comparing the same number of total sports). At some level, miles cost money.

LetsGoSioux!
August 30th, 2012, 12:58 PM

UND needed a home for all sports*. Big Sky provides a home for all sports. Does that help?

*Baseball and other "minor" sports not included.

darell1976
August 30th, 2012, 10:14 PM
First game of 2012:

UND 66
SDSoM 0

Attendance: 8847

Next week against PSU I predict almost a full capacity.

mmiller_34
August 30th, 2012, 10:31 PM
What happened to the transfer QB? I read he got hurt in the 2nd quarter after throwing 2 TDS?

frozennorth
August 30th, 2012, 10:34 PM
What happened to the transfer QB? I read he got hurt in the 2nd quarter after throwing 2 TDS?

out for a couple weeks, probably a sprained ankle

SDFS
August 30th, 2012, 10:36 PM

Scott Grodsky‏@ScottGrodsky

Mussman says Hanson has a broken bone in his right leg (non-weight bearing) out 2-3 weeks...hoping he will be back for Big Sky opener

Scott Grodsky‏@ScottGrodsky

Marcus Hendrickson will start next week...former QB's Blair Townsend and Seth Nichols will take snaps in practice... (1/2)

SDFS
August 30th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Big problem - no backup after Hendrickson - only three true freshman and one of the three is a walk-on

darell1976
August 30th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Big problem - no backup after Hendrickson - only three true freshman and one of the three is a walk-on

Its okay we have 3 easy games...Portland State, San Diego State and Sacramento State. No worries.xeekx

SDFS
August 30th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Its okay we have 3 easy games...Portland State, San Diego State and Sacramento State. No worries.xeekx

Makes next week game more interesting that is for sure..

darell1976
August 30th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Makes next week game more interesting that is for sure..

Makes next weeks game a season changer...if we do nothing on offense there goes the season. We need 7 DI wins for a shot (just a shot) at the playoffs and without a passing attack makes things harder on Jake Miller and the O-Line. You can only run the ball for so long, and if you get stuffed on every down. Goodnight. This is Marcus's time to shine. Show everyone what you got.

SDFS
August 31st, 2012, 06:45 AM
Makes next weeks game a season changer...if we do nothing on offense there goes the season. We need 7 DI wins for a shot (just a shot) at the playoffs and without a passing attack makes things harder on Jake Miller and the O-Line. You can only run the ball for so long, and if you get stuffed on every down. Goodnight. This is Marcus's time to shine. Show everyone what you got.

Yes, 1Q into the season and you are now down to basically your 3rd team QB with Bradley transferring for playing time this summer. Now you have a TE and WR taking snaps at QB in case Hendrickson does down. So, you are going to try and limit Hendrickson exposure, but he is a running, rollout type of QB. It should be fun.

On the plus side - the two new true freshman QBs are going to be running with 2nd and 3rd team this year.

deez_na
August 31st, 2012, 07:36 AM
He broke a bone, it's not a sprain. Give him 3 weeks and he'll be back. UND looks to be a much better team with him out there this year. They could be a decent team especially their first year in the Big Sky. Should be an interesting year. GO BISON!

darell1976
August 31st, 2012, 07:39 AM
He broke a bone, it's not a sprain. Give him 3 weeks and he'll be back. UND looks to be a much better team with him out there this year. They could be a decent team especially their first year in the Big Sky. Should be an interesting year. GO BISON!

I (and UND fans) wished it was against a good opponent not a very week DII (Independent) one. Portland State will be UND's first major hurdle of 2012.

UNDColorado
August 31st, 2012, 07:53 AM
The team looked greatly improved from last year but you are correct Darryl, the season really begins next week against Portland State.

Bison06
August 31st, 2012, 08:14 AM
Maybe I haven't followed the Big Sky as closely as others, but I had the PSU game as an easy win for UND, is that not the case?

deez_na
August 31st, 2012, 08:17 AM
I (and UND fans) wished it was against a good opponent not a very week DII (Independent) one. Portland State will be UND's first major hurdle of 2012.

Yeah that's a pretty crappy deal. You hate losing a player for any reason against any team but against a scrub school like them it hurts more. They could win with thier center running the QB position.

darell1976
August 31st, 2012, 08:29 AM
Yeah that's a pretty crappy deal. You hate losing a player for any reason against any team but against a scrub school like them it hurts more. They could win with thier center running the QB position.

It would be like the Packers losing Aaron Rodgers in a preseason game. It does suck, but thats why you practice the backup like he's going to start. Anything can happen.

darell1976
August 31st, 2012, 08:34 AM
Maybe I haven't followed the Big Sky as closely as others, but I had the PSU game as an easy win for UND, is that not the case?

PSU was ranked in most polls in the middle of the pack. So they will be a good test for UND. I don't know much about them but I know it wasn't going to be an easy win. We should win being at home but nothing is a guarantee.

LetsGoSioux!
August 31st, 2012, 11:39 AM
Tough to judge, but this UND team looked very good last night. One thing that jumps out is the size, speed, and athleticism. Very tough break (no pun intended) for Hanson, but could be back after the San Diego State game. The Portland State game is going to be HUGE next week. This is the deepest I can remember UND ever being at WR and RB.

BisonBacker
August 31st, 2012, 11:47 AM
Tough to judge, but this UND team looked very good last night. One thing that jumps out is the size, speed, and athleticism. Very tough break (no pun intended) for Hanson, but could be back after the San Diego State game. The Portland State game is going to be HUGE next week. This is the deepest I can remember UND ever being at WR and RB.
Honest question but just how do you judge or get a feeling for just how fast and athletic a team is when you play a school Like that?

LetsGoSioux!
August 31st, 2012, 11:49 AM
Honest question but just how do you judge or get a feeling for just how fast and athletic a team is when you play a school Like that?

Good question, I guess I'm comparing how these guys to some previous guys we had during the transition. The true test will come next week and every week after.

coover
August 31st, 2012, 01:04 PM
Your new QB looked awesome last night while he was in there. He was passing the ball so well, it looked almost like he was placing the ball in his receivers hands.

While you may not need him next week against PSU, I would certainly have liked to see him against San Diego State. That would be a true test of his value.

Oh, well, I guess we'll have to wait until the 29th to see where he is at. See you in Grand Forks!

frozennorth
August 31st, 2012, 01:07 PM

receiver maybe but running back? does UND have a running back that is even any good?

MplsBison
August 31st, 2012, 01:15 PM
Good thing they wore those god awful ugly uniforms! Functionally, they're far superior as you can tell how non-baggy they are in the shoulders by this picture:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/media/full/jpg/2012/08/30/630undfootball1.jpg

xrolleyesx

gotts
August 31st, 2012, 01:19 PM
receiver maybe but running back? does UND have a running back that is even any good?

Not sure if trolling....

Jake Miller seems to fit the bill...

bisonwest
August 31st, 2012, 01:32 PM

You can't. We aren't going to know much either, though I would bet RMU is quite a bit better than the school of mines.

LetsGoSioux!
August 31st, 2012, 02:00 PM
Not sure if trolling....

Jake Miller seems to fit the bill...

Haha. Miller, Sutton, Garman, Sparks, Shaugabay might have something to say to this "frozennorth" character!

BisonBacker
August 31st, 2012, 02:00 PM
RMU would easily handle the team from Rapid City that UND played. I'm assuming the game was scheduled long ago by UND but man the bottom tier of the FCS would have been better to schedule than a DII. At least they could have played an FCS squad. The RMU team we are facing was a playoff team just two short years ago. Lots for them has changed but they are still FCS. UND will not know much until after next week but they should still win that one also.

darell1976
August 31st, 2012, 02:27 PM
RMU would easily handle the team from Rapid City that UND played. I'm assuming the game was scheduled long ago by UND but man the bottom tier of the FCS would have been better to schedule than a DII. At least they could have played an FCS squad. The RMU team we are facing was a playoff team just two short years ago. Lots for them has changed but they are still FCS. UND will not know much until after next week but they should still win that one also.

At least UND got to get the youngsters some playing time, and that will help if an injury (like Hanson's) occur. I know you can practice for those situations but to actually get into a game has a different feel to it. As for the quality of SDSoM...very little if any. RMU is a lot better than Mines and it would have been nice to play an FCS team but it is what it is. Now to concentrate only on PSU and not SDSU. Big week of activites starting next week as it is Potato Bowl Week.

darell1976
August 31st, 2012, 02:28 PM

UND has been known as a school with good Running Backs...but you wouldn't know that you don't like UND.

UNDColorado
August 31st, 2012, 02:31 PM
Good thing they wore those god awful ugly uniforms! Functionally, they're far superior as you can tell how non-baggy they are in the shoulders by this picture:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/media/full/jpg/2012/08/30/630undfootball1.jpg

xrolleyesx

You can have your opinion but I highly doubt you will see the green jerseys at all this year. The fact is the players want nothing to do with them.

darell1976
August 31st, 2012, 02:48 PM
You can have your opinion but I highly doubt you will see the green jerseys at all this year. The fact is the players want nothing to do with them.

UND is 1-0 with the black jerseys...why break the streak.xthumbsupx

moosbah
August 31st, 2012, 02:56 PM
UND has been known as a school with good Running Backs...but you wouldn't know that you don't like UND.

Any great ones in the past 30 years?

MplsBison
August 31st, 2012, 03:19 PM

Because they like wearing ugly uniforms?

ndsubison
August 31st, 2012, 04:10 PM
Any great ones in the past 30 years?

Shannon Burnell, Philip Moore? Chapelle COULD have been great. Jed P scored the NC game-winning TD back in 2001....after the team used him to drive the length of the field with minutes to go to come from behind for the "W". That performance alone could be considered Great.

ndsubison
August 31st, 2012, 04:17 PM

I don't like anything UND, but I can't help but feel for Hanson's (and therefore, UND's) misfortune. That's the REALLY CRAPPY thing about playing down: losing guys to injury to teams you shouldn't be playing in games that mean nothing. IMO, losing Hanson in this scenario has to hurt worse than playing up in a FBS/FCS "Body Bag" game and losing a guy or 5. There is a lot of season left for you guys and maybe, just maybe, Hendrickson will prove that he deserves more credit than he's getting.

ndsubison
August 31st, 2012, 04:23 PM
You can't. We aren't going to know much either, though I would bet RMU is quite a bit better than the school of mines.

Not to take anything from UND's players (well OK, maybe just a little bit) but my theory is that Mines players really, really made UND's players look special last night. For whatever that's worth....

frozennorth
August 31st, 2012, 06:02 PM
Haha. Miller, Sutton, Garman, Sparks, Shaugabay might have something to say to this "frozennorth" character!

hey UND has players that play the position. Didn't know that. xcoffeex

you still haven't answered whether any of them are any good. http://www.undsports.com//fls/13500/stats/football/2011/teamcume.htm?DB_OEM_ID=13500 nothing there looks particularly impressive, especially considering UND's creampuff binge last year. Jake miller would be buried on NDSU's depth chart. Or for that matter most of the MVFC.

ypc opponent
2.2 idaho
3.8 cal poly
2.7 unc
1.5 sioux falls
2.7 UCD
3.0 south dakota

he had two good games against decentish opponents, Fresno State and SUU. Fresno state was so bad they fired their legendary, likely future hall-of-fame coach. SUU gave up similar or worse yards nearly every week.

UND's RB's aren't bad, but they sure as hell aren't anything special, and definitely not the best ever at UND.

darell1976
August 31st, 2012, 10:21 PM
hey UND has players that play the position. Didn't know that. xcoffeex

you still haven't answered whether any of them are any good. http://www.undsports.com//fls/13500/stats/football/2011/teamcume.htm?DB_OEM_ID=13500 nothing there looks particularly impressive, especially considering UND's creampuff binge last year. Jake miller would be buried on NDSU's depth chart. Or for that matter most of the MVFC.

ypc opponent
2.2 idaho
3.8 cal poly
2.7 unc
1.5 sioux falls
2.7 UCD
3.0 south dakota

he had two good games against decentish opponents, Fresno State and SUU. Fresno state was so bad they fired their legendary, likely future hall-of-fame coach. SUU gave up similar or worse yards nearly every week.

UND's RB's aren't bad, but they sure as hell aren't anything special, and definitely not the best ever at UND.

Who the hell cares. This is about UND football only. If you want to compare UND to NDSU then start a your own thread about it.

UNDColorado
September 1st, 2012, 09:19 AM
Darryl, they just can't resist. They see a thread that has UND in it and they get giddy. It happens on EVERY UND thread.

Laker
September 1st, 2012, 11:20 AM
Does anyone know how much money the Hardrockers got to play at UND? I know as an D2 independent they have a hard time filling a schedule, especially when conferences like the NSIC don't play any non-conference games.

darell1976
September 1st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Does anyone know how much money the Hardrockers got to play at UND? I know as an D2 independent they have a hard time filling a schedule, especially when conferences like the NSIC don't play any non-conference games.

Minot State played Montana State last year and UND played Sioux Falls I would think they would allow non-conference games. On a side note....when is Mankato going to follow Omaha and move up to DI (except keep their football program). Minnnesota shouldn't feel threatened if another DI team pops up in the state (especially if its a FCS team).

Laker
September 2nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Minot State played Montana State last year and UND played Sioux Falls I would think they would allow non-conference games. On a side note....when is Mankato going to follow Omaha and move up to DI (except keep their football program). Minnnesota shouldn't feel threatened if another DI team pops up in the state (especially if its a FCS team).

With 16 teams this year (too many!) the NSIC has no non-conference football games anymore. I don't like that. Sioux Falls just dominated at St. Cloud, while Minot had minus yards rushing against Mankato.

Last year St. Cloud was talking about dropping football! Much of it might have been a bluff but my Husky friends were furious. Of course then they have a title tie with UMD and Mankato. MSU has a great basketball facility, a women's national championship and the men's semifinalist two years ago. Both schools have basically said that if they went D1 that they would pull a UNO and drop football (I doubt if they would have dropped a national championship wrestling team the day that they won the title to have them come home and find that the locker room locks had been changed, but that is another UNO story- as an old NCC fan I still can't believe that UNO dropped football).

The U of M has a divide and conquer program- they don't allow any one other Minnesota school to get too much power. I agree with you 100%, the Goofers should have at least a FCS program in the state for as many people who live here.

I have to make one more rant here. MSU doesn't seem to make any moves unless St. Cloud does. They followed along when SCSU went D1 in hockey. SCSU didn't move up with the rest of the NCC, so MSU didn't. So don't expect MSU to go FCS, their just doesn't seem to be enough backing at either school to do so. I worked with the MSU booster club to sell season tickets for football and basketball after they built the Taylor Center and there was very little interest. It is discouraging.

MplsBison
September 2nd, 2012, 09:38 AM
With 16 teams this year (too many!) the NSIC has no non-conference football games anymore. I don't like that. Sioux Falls just dominated at St. Cloud, while Minot had minus yards rushing against Mankato.

Last year St. Cloud was talking about dropping football! Much of it might have been a bluff but my Husky friends were furious. Of course then they have a title tie with UMD and Mankato. MSU has a great basketball facility, a women's national championship and the men's semifinalist two years ago. Both schools have basically said that if they went D1 that they would pull a UNO and drop football (I doubt if they would have dropped a national championship wrestling team the day that they won the title to have them come home and find that the locker room locks had been changed, but that is another UNO story- as an old NCC fan I still can't believe that UNO dropped football).

The U of M has a divide and conquer program- they don't allow any one other Minnesota school to get too much power. I agree with you 100%, the Goofers should have at least a FCS program in the state for as many people who live here.

I have to make one more rant here. MSU doesn't seem to make any moves unless St. Cloud does. They followed along when SCSU went D1 in hockey. SCSU didn't move up with the rest of the NCC, so MSU didn't. So don't expect MSU to go FCS, their just doesn't seem to be enough backing at either school to do so. I worked with the MSU booster club to sell season tickets for football and basketball after they built the Taylor Center and there was very little interest. It is discouraging.

Absolutely no need for any I-AA programs in Minn or Wisconsin for that matter.

The Dakota 4 and Northern Iowa already do a darn fine job sucking up talent in Minnesota and then the Illinois schools get in on the act for Wisconsin players.

Thank you very much!

Laker
September 2nd, 2012, 09:45 AM
Absolutely no need for any I-AA programs in Minn or Wisconsin for that matter.

The Dakota 4 and Northern Iowa already do a darn fine job sucking up talent in Minnesota and then the Illinois schools get in on the act for Wisconsin players.

Thank you very much!

I disagree. Both MN and WI should have a FCS team. Heck, WI has NO D2 football teams. Both the U of M and the U of W have way too much power in their respective states. They could use some competition within their own state, then they would have to become more efficient rather than become money and attention pits.

I still think that UNL had something to do with UNO dropping football when they went D1, even though like Nixon in the 1972 presidential election they didn't need to abuse their power since they were going to dominate anyway.

MplsBison
September 2nd, 2012, 09:49 AM
It was a tongue in cheek comment. I just meant that the Dakota schools and UNI (well maybe just the ND schools, not the SD schools and UNI so much until more recently) have long feasted on MN (especially the Cities) players who were overlooked by the Gophers. And for whatever reason, the state is mostly overlooked by other I-A programs for recruiting except for the small handful of elite level athletes that get scooped up usually by other Big Ten schools and Notre Dame.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 2nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
I disagree. Both MN and WI should have a FCS team. Heck, WI has NO D2 football teams. Both the U of M and the U of W have way too much power in their respective states. They could use some competition within their own state, then they would have to become more efficient rather than become money and attention pits.

I still think that UNL had something to do with UNO dropping football when they went D1, even though like Nixon in the 1972 presidential election they didn't need to abuse their power since they were going to dominate anyway.

I doubt it.

It was all about money. No way UNO would have made the move if they had to keep FB. Add 30 something more schollies for football plus add a womens team or two....no way. They dropped their most successful program (wrestlling) just to make the move up. BTW...their wrestling program would have done just fine in D1.

Laker
September 2nd, 2012, 10:02 AM
It was a tongue in cheek comment. I just meant that the Dakota schools and UNI (well maybe just the ND schools, not the SD schools and UNI so much until more recently) have long feasted on MN (especially the Cities) players who were overlooked by the Gophers. And for whatever reason, the state is mostly overlooked by other I-A programs for recruiting except for the small handful of elite level athletes that get scooped up usually by other Big Ten schools and Notre Dame.

Gottcha. I remember idiot Brewster saying that he didn't want to schedule the Dakota schools because the Gophers didn't recruit those areas anyway. I guess he forgot about how Mason got an All-American center from Mandan. Of course then he loses to NDSU and USD so maybe he should have looked at those players. You are correct- Notre Dame always seems to find some Minnesota players- so does Wisky and Iowa. John Carlson from nearby Litchfield and Michael Floyd to name a couple.

Sorry to hijack the thread. To get back to my original question- does anyone know what kind of money the Hardrockers got to play at the Alerus? And wasn't the original name of the stadium going to be the Aurora, or was that just something that I thought I had read years ago?

Laker
September 2nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
their wrestling program would have done just fine in D1.

Oh I know- I talked to the Minnesota State wrestling coach about that. What school did the former UNO coach go to, along with a bunch of his wrestlers?

MplsBison
September 2nd, 2012, 11:08 AM
I doubt it.

It was all about money. No way UNO would have made the move if they had to keep FB. Add 30 something more schollies for football plus add a womens team or two....no way. They dropped their most successful program (wrestlling) just to make the move up. BTW...their wrestling program would have done just fine in D1.

UNO's thing is hockey, which they could've done staying at the DII level. They're never going to catch Crieghton in Omaha and for that matter Big Red has invested heavily in men's bball facilities and want to compete in the Big Ten. They have NDSU's former coach now.

I just don't see why they couldn't have stayed the course in DII with football and wrestling. I know they were hurting for money, I guess this was their only feasible path forward.

darell1976
September 2nd, 2012, 12:58 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread. To get back to my original question- does anyone know what kind of money the Hardrockers got to play at the Alerus? And wasn't the original name of the stadium going to be the Aurora, or was that just something that I thought I had read years ago?

The original name was going to be Aurora from a naming contest. (I suggested Sioux-per Dome) Of course money talks and Alerus Financial gave Grand Forks a lot of it on the naming rights.