PDA

View Full Version : Rhody Staying in CAA

jpincince
August 28th, 2012, 08:56 AM
It's official. (http://news.providencejournal.com/sports/college/2012/08/uri-staying-in-caa-football.html)

andy7171
August 28th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Good.

Dane96
August 28th, 2012, 09:08 AM
NICE!!!!!! I see a day at Mohegan Sun...and a football game in my future.

aceinthehole
August 28th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Smart move for the Rams - I just hope that CCSU can soon too be a part of the CAA Football instead of the remaining in the all-private NEC.

danefan
August 28th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Good.

Makes a nice northern division.

dgreco
August 28th, 2012, 09:36 AM
NEC is down to 8, hopefully not 7. Although with URI staying and no word on Southern schools I think CCSU might end up AEast/CAA FB

Lehigh Football Nation
August 28th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Smart move for the Rams - I just hope that CCSU can soon too be a part of the CAA Football instead of the remaining in the all-private NEC.

I think they need another team. I also think they need another all-sports member. CCSU can, possibly, fit the bill.

Dane96
August 28th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Unfortunately, I am betting against that. I would love to have CCSU be a part of it...but I find it a long shot that a non-Southern based all-sport school is coming into the fold.

Who knows...

Dane96
August 28th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I think they need another team. I also think they need another all-sports member. CCSU can, possibly, fit the bill.

If Albany and SBU did not get an all-sport invite...not a chance CCSU gets an all-sport. It's football only, if at all. If the CAA was really looking to expand all-sports North...Albany and SBU are next in line, with the latter being at the front of it.

dgreco
August 28th, 2012, 09:54 AM
If Albany and SBU did not get an all-sport invite...not a chance CCSU gets an all-sport. It's football only, if at all. If the CAA was really looking to expand all-sports North...Albany and SBU are next in line, with the latter being at the front of it.

Not likely, but maybe the Southern schools opted out and SBU, UAlbany and CCSU all get invites to bring CAA to 12 and Full-time CAA FB members to 7

Lehigh Football Nation
August 28th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Not likely, but maybe the Southern schools opted out and SBU, UAlbany and CCSU all get invites to bring CAA to 12 and Full-time CAA FB members to 7

Or maybe it's Albany, SBU, CCSU, Davidson, CoC...

MplsBison
August 28th, 2012, 10:52 AM
If the article is to be taken literally (not sure if that's reasonable), travel cost was the only factor in their decision to stay.

Then sans any minimum scholarship requirement that the CAA enforces (which may be true, I don't know) - I'm suspicious if Rhode Island won't try to stay in the CAA but at a NEC scholarship level.

Reason being that the AD already promised that other sports were to receive the difference in CAA and NEC level football scholarships (dropping from 60 to 40). Is he going to renege on that promise? I would find that to be a very tough sell when football would still be the number one resource hog at 40 scholarships and would (still) be one of the lowest fan/booster supported programs in the CAA.

They're obviously never going to be competitive against a program like JMU, so what difference does it make if they have 60 or 40 scholarships? (again, ignoring what may be a CAA requirement)

dgreco
August 28th, 2012, 11:13 AM
If the article is to be taken literally (not sure if that's reasonable), travel cost was the only factor in their decision to stay.

Then sans any minimum scholarship requirement that the CAA enforces (which may be true, I don't know) - I'm suspicious if Rhode Island won't try to stay in the CAA but at a NEC scholarship level.

Reason being that the AD already promised that other sports were to receive the difference in CAA and NEC level football scholarships (dropping from 60 to 40). Is he going to renege on that promise? I would find that to be a very tough sell when football would still be the number one resource hog at 40 scholarships and would (still) be one of the lowest fan/booster supported programs in the CAA.

They're obviously never going to be competitive against a program like JMU, so what difference does it make if they have 60 or 40 scholarships? (again, ignoring what may be a CAA requirement)

a reason to up the scholarships is for counter-status. Pay-day games are important to FCS programs.

aceinthehole
August 28th, 2012, 11:43 AM
CCSU has no shot of getting a CAA invite for all sports, so let's not even suggest it as a possibility.

I have heard nothing to even suggest CCSU is being considered for football at this time (although I would suspect that if there were any discussions they are extremly limited and private).

I hope to hear some leaks or hints soon, but until that time ... I only hold out hope that we are at least part of a contingency plan. The CAA's next move is to strenghten basketball and its olympic sports. If the CAA adds schools without football (Charleston, Davidson, Greensboro, etc) then I think that increases the odds that CCSU rounds out CAA Football as its 12 member.

MplsBison
August 28th, 2012, 11:51 AM
a reason to up the scholarships is for counter-status. Pay-day games are important to FCS programs.

Yep, that's true. Good point.

Although, two counter points: A) I-AA teams do still get games against I-A teams even though the win won't count toward bowl eligibility and B) it's still not certain in my mind that the new rules for prioritizing "non-qualifying" I-A teams for bowl games don't outright eliminate the requirement for 90% of 63 scholarships.

MplsBison
August 28th, 2012, 11:52 AM
CCSU has no shot of getting a CAA invite for all sports, so let's not even suggest it as a possibility.

I have heard nothing to even suggest CCSU is being considered for football at this time (although I would suspect that if there were any discussions they are extremly limited and private).

I hope to hear some leaks or hints soon, but until that time ... I only hold out hope that we are at least part of a contingency plan. The CAA's next move is to strenghten basketball and its olympic sports. If the CAA adds schools without football (Charleston, Davidson, Greensboro, etc) then I think that increases the odds that CCSU rounds out CAA Football as its 12 member.

No CAA football teams are on the table, for a myriad of reasons.

fc97
August 28th, 2012, 12:55 PM
No CAA football teams are on the table, for a myriad of reasons.

you do not know, have no sources, have no quotes. seriously, just shut up. because there are more documented sources specifying to the contrary, even if more football schools do not get invited or accept

goodness, get your head out of north dakota

nj alum
August 28th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Or maybe it's Albany, SBU, CCSU, Davidson, CoC...

Or maybe it's CofC, Davidson, and ASU to go to 12...with Furman and Elon to go to 14 if the league so desires.

jpincince
August 28th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Here's URI's release (http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/2012-13/releases/20120828rnceg5). In part:

"As has been the case in college athletics over the past number of years with conference realignment, institutions have made numerous choices to align and adjust to an changing landscape," Bjorn explained. "The recent changes in CAA football membership - the addition of Stony Brook and Albany and loss of southern schools Old Dominion and Georgia State - we felt that it makes the most sense for URI to remain in the CAA."

Go...gate
August 28th, 2012, 03:35 PM
NEC is down to 8, hopefully not 7. Although with URI staying and no word on Southern schools I think CCSU might end up AEast/CAA FB

If C.W. Post goes D-I, as appears possible, your concerns will likely be addressed. Post would be a perfect fit in the NEC.

henfan
August 28th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Or maybe it's CofC, Davidson, and ASU to go to 12...with Furman and Elon to go to 14 if the league so desires.

Yup. IMO, there will very likely be one more CAA FB school added in the fall by virtue of their addition to the Colonial Athletic Association. My money would be on Elon or Furman.

MplsBison
August 28th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Yup. IMO, there will very likely be one more CAA FB school added in the fall by virtue of their addition to the Colonial Athletic Association. My money would be on Elon or Furman.

Is there at least a blog post (let alone an article), authored by someone who gets paid to be published on a regular basis by well read publications, with these rumors?

MplsBison
August 28th, 2012, 07:00 PM
you do not know, have no sources, have no quotes. seriously, just shut up. because there are more documented sources specifying to the contrary, even if more football schools do not get invited or accept

goodness, get your head out of north dakota

And when I'm correct, will you admit that you added nothing to the thread in any of your replies to me (note the lack of links to your "documented sources") and it was for no other reason than to insult? Of course you won't.

TheBisonator
August 28th, 2012, 07:06 PM
If URI can rebuild that old rickety grandstand on the opposite side of the arena/new seating and have some landscaping done (perhaps a nice tailgate area), they'll be very competitive for years to come.

Brad82
August 28th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Bisonator-right on!
I really hope the needed infrastructure was taken into consideration.

citdog
August 28th, 2012, 07:10 PM

vermin isn't going anywhere. at least not without The Citadel. we've hated, and played, one another for far too long to break up now.

henfan
August 28th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Is there at least a blog post (let alone an article), authored by someone who gets paid to be published on a regular basis by well read publications, with these rumors?

I offered my opinion based on what I've read and heard and, no, I am not paid for it. However, I'd assume Dan Spears gets paid by the Star News. http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20120624/ARTICLES/120629835?p=2&tc=pg

Elon and Furman rumors are not new. They've been repeated by multiple news sources over the summer, as anyone who's followed CAA expansion or with the capability to do a web search would know.

Seawolf97
August 28th, 2012, 08:04 PM
If C.W. Post goes D-I, as appears possible, your concerns will likely be addressed. Post would be a perfect fit in the NEC.

Post as a full D1 program is a possibility. I know they have more than a respectable mens lax program. How that would fit in with LIU I'm not sure.

NFLCB2
August 28th, 2012, 08:24 PM
This isnt what I wanted to see happen... The NEC might suffer the same fate as the MAAC!

dgreco
August 28th, 2012, 09:10 PM
This isnt what I wanted to see happen... The NEC might suffer the same fate as the MAAC!

That is my fear. Initially I wanted to see Bryant hold out for a possible PL invite, it appears it would never come. The other options originally rumored were the MAAC and the NEC. Going to the NEC meant scholarship football. I was happy that football would become a focal point for athletics, however, if we lose another member (CCSU) then I think the conference will reverse the decision to increase scholarships and eventually other programs will follow the MAAC path and disappear. I think it will mean that the PFL will split and surviving programs (like Bryant) will end up in a non-scholarship PFL spin-off.

Of course, I could just be overreacting and maybe LIU-Post will move up and LIU will have football and 8 full-time members will play football in the NEC.

NFLCB2
August 28th, 2012, 10:10 PM
That is my fear. Initially I wanted to see Bryant hold out for a possible PL invite, it appears it would never come. The other options originally rumored were the MAAC and the NEC. Going to the NEC meant scholarship football. I was happy that football would become a focal point for athletics, however, if we lose another member (CCSU) then I think the conference will reverse the decision to increase scholarships and eventually other programs will follow the MAAC path and disappear. I think it will mean that the PFL will split and surviving programs (like Bryant) will end up in a non-scholarship PFL spin-off.
Of course, I could just be overreacting and maybe LIU-Post will move up and LIU will have football and 8 full-time members will play football in the NEC.

I would like to see CCSU, Monmouth and Bryant all make a move I was pleased with Bryant the first year we played you guys it was a good game. I dont like LIU moving up because it doesnt make the NEC stronger I would like to see Fordham move into the NEC if we up the Scholarships. Also If Hoftsra or Northeastern could be convinced to bring their programs back to play in the NEC rather than the CAA that would keep CCSU in the NEC.

Go...gate
August 28th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Post as a full D1 program is a possibility. I know they have more than a respectable mens lax program. How that would fit in with LIU I'm not sure.

Sounds like you would have two LIU's, much as there is more than one SUNY.

Traditionally strong LAX program, too.

Go...gate
August 28th, 2012, 10:20 PM
vermin isn't going anywhere. at least not without The Citadel. we've hated, and played, one another for far too long to break up now.

Good to see you, citdog. Hope your Summer has been a good one.

Dane96
August 28th, 2012, 10:22 PM
If URI can rebuild that old rickety grandstand on the opposite side of the arena/new seating and have some landscaping done (perhaps a nice tailgate area), they'll be very competitive for years to come.

They have a great tailgate area. It's called Newport ;)

Dane96
August 28th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I would like to see CCSU, Monmouth and Bryant all make a move I was pleased with Bryant the first year we played you guys it was a good game. I dont like LIU moving up because it doesnt make the NEC stronger I would like to see Fordham move into the NEC if we up the Scholarships. Also If Hoftsra or Northeastern could be convinced to bring their programs back to play in the NEC rather than the CAA that would keep CCSU in the NEC.

A full scholly Post (LIU...whatever) would be strong quickly. They were competitive w/o rides at DII. As for Fordham...Hofstra....NU...put the pipe down. That's what that is...a pipe dream. NEVER, EVER, EVER happening...and if they come back (HU and NU) its to the CAA.

henfan
August 29th, 2012, 07:48 AM
They have a great tailgate area. It's called Newport ;)

Amen. Also glad that we'll get to continue to visit Coddington Brewing Co. in Middletown.xthumbsupx

Actually, URI has the room and facilities for good tailgating and, at times over the years, we have had some good ones there. The problem is that they keep changing their tailgating locations and rules, which tend to be unusually & unnecessarily restrictive. If they want to encourage attendance, they do need to make the gameday atmosphere more inviting. The tailgate village idea is a good start.

I'd agree with the previous poster that they also do need to put a few bucks into landscaping the area around the stadium.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Bisonator-right on!
I really hope the needed infrastructure was taken into consideration.

Well since no one attempted to answer my question about scholarships, I'm going to assume URI not only won't put any more money into facilities than they do in a normal year but that they're going to try staying in the CAA for as cheap as they think they can get away with.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I offered my opinion based on what I've read and heard and, no, I am not paid for it. However, I'd assume Dan Spears gets paid by the Star News. http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20120624/ARTICLES/120629835?p=2&tc=pg

Elon and Furman rumors are not new. They've been repeated by multiple news sources over the summer, as anyone who's followed CAA expansion or with the capability to do a web search would know.

June 24th that says this:

Multiple schools close to UNCW – Davidson, College of Charleston and Elon, among others – have been rumored to be on the CAA's wish list.

No mention of Furman, of course. I guess a guy can pretty much stretch anything he wants into supporting his fantasies these days.

Well it says "close to UNCW" and "among others", I guess that means NC State is on the CAA's wish list!

NFLCB2
August 29th, 2012, 08:05 AM
A full scholly Post (LIU...whatever) would be strong quickly. They were competitive w/o rides at DII. As for Fordham...Hofstra....NU...put the pipe down. That's what that is...a pipe dream. NEVER, EVER, EVER happening...and if they come back (HU and NU) its to the CAA.

The way the NEC is looking I'm picking that pipe up:D You maybe right about Post or LIU because if they come to the league they already better than SHU and St. Francis. I understand NU and Hof are fulltime members of the CAA but I could see it happening

henfan
August 29th, 2012, 08:43 AM
No mention of Furman, of course. I guess a guy can pretty much stretch anything he wants into supporting his fantasies these days.

I'm not going to do all of the work for you. I demonstrated one of the many places in the paid press where Elon was specifically mentioned, as you requested. If you want to read additional sources and those mentioning Furman, you'll have to do your own web search. John O'Conner, who's paid by the Richmond Times-Dispatch, would be a good place for an inquiring mind to start... in an article, say, around 7/25. ESPN employee Andy Katz might be another source for you to check. Furman and Elon rumors aren't new and ground breaking news for those who've been paying the least bit of attention. Sheesh.

DFW HOYA
August 29th, 2012, 09:01 AM

The two conferences are different and what killed the MAAC is not what ails the NEC.

When it was founded, just four of 10 MAAC schools committed to football and no more than six ever played it. By the early 2000's, there was a tacit understanding among the schools that the conference was no longer going to support football and that schools were encouraged to deploy more resources to basketball where the MAAC (once) had more post-season recognition. From that point, the dominoes fell--Siena, Fairfield, St. Peter's, Iona. At the end the MAAC was little more than a scheduling agreement and the dominance of affiliate schools outside the MAAC (Georgetown, later Duquesne) didn't help with full membership schools struggling to keep up. For all its talk of redeployment, the MAAC has never regained visibility in basketball.

The NEC has had buy-in from most of its membership--seven of 12 sponsor football, eight if LIU joins the group. The conference has options for scheduling that the MAAC never did (e.g., the Ivy or CAA would never schedule MAAC teams) and they have the big prize that the MAAC schools could not aspire to: a post-season autobid. Properly positioned within the confernece, I could envision scenarios where Marist or Iona reemerges as an NEC candidate, or that a up and coming program like Quinnipiac considers this as a future option. With America East on shaky footing, the NEC could emerge as a more stable option for broad-based northeastern programs, which the AE serving as the fallback for non-football and hockey schools.

Yes, there is a scenario where scholarships decrease if the institutional will to push for I-A guarantee games is not as strong, but none of these schools look to be dropping out of football.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I'm not going to do all of the work for you. I demonstrated one of the many places in the paid press where Elon was specifically mentioned, as you requested. If you want to read additional sources and those mentioning Furman, you'll have to do your own web search. John O'Conner, who's paid by the Richmond Times-Dispatch, would be a good place for an inquiring mind to start... in an article, say, around 7/25. ESPN employee Andy Katz might be another source for you to check. Furman and Elon rumors aren't new and ground breaking news for those who've been paying the least bit of attention. Sheesh.

And I will not put in an ounce of effort doing your job for you. You make the claim, then you back it up. Post the links or I'll consider it nothing more than message board whispers.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 09:46 AM
The two conferences are different and what killed the MAAC is not what ails the NEC.

When it was founded, just four of 10 MAAC schools committed to football and no more than six ever played it. By the early 2000's, there was a tacit understanding among the schools that the conference was no longer going to support football and that schools were encouraged to deploy more resources to basketball where the MAAC (once) had more post-season recognition. From that point, the dominoes fell--Siena, Fairfield, St. Peter's, Iona. At the end the MAAC was little more than a scheduling agreement and the dominance of affiliate schools outside the MAAC (Georgetown, later Duquesne) didn't help with full membership schools struggling to keep up. For all its talk of redeployment, the MAAC has never regained visibility in basketball.

The NEC has had buy-in from most of its membership--seven of 12 sponsor football, eight if LIU joins the group. The conference has options for scheduling that the MAAC never did (e.g., the Ivy or CAA would never schedule MAAC teams) and they have the big prize that the MAAC schools could not aspire to: a post-season autobid. Properly positioned within the confernece, I could envision scenarios where Marist or Iona reemerges as an NEC candidate, or that a up and coming program like Quinnipiac considers this as a future option. With America East on shaky footing, the NEC could emerge as a more stable option for broad-based northeastern programs, which the AE serving as the fallback for non-football and hockey schools.

Yes, there is a scenario where scholarships decrease if the institutional will to push for I-A guarantee games is not as strong, but none of these schools look to be dropping out of football.

Then why are fans of schools like CCSU talking longingly about the potential for CCAFC football and AE non-football?

aceinthehole
August 29th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Then why are fans of schools like CCSU talking longingly about the potential for CCAFC football and AE non-football?

A) It is just one fan here, and I don't have any impact on actual conference realignment decisions.

B) Simple, CCSU is the only public school in the NEC. While we are a regional comprehensive university and are not a national research university, we are still closer in profile to the AE football schools than we are to St. Francis or Wagner. It is not a knock on the NEC or its stability, we just don't look like the other schools in the league, period.

henfan
August 29th, 2012, 10:21 AM
And I will not put in an ounce of effort doing your job for you. You make the claim, then you back it up. Post the links or I'll consider it nothing more than message board whispers.

I've already backed up my opinion, which was common FCS knowledge, and also gave you a couple of solid hints on where you can find the info on discussions about Furman and the CAA in 'official' media sources. Alas, you appear less interested in developing an informed opinion than spouting off. I can live with that.

Back on topic, I think Rhody staying in the conference adds longer term stability to the northern half of CAA FB. If the league adds one or more FB teams and splits in two divisions, that could further help schools with travel. At least the conference appears headed in the right direction after the departures of UMass, ODU and GSU. xthumbsupx

fc97
August 29th, 2012, 11:05 AM
And when I'm correct, will you admit that you added nothing to the thread in any of your replies to me (note the lack of links to your "documented sources") and it was for no other reason than to insult? Of course you won't.

there are numerous blogs and paid authors of print and television stations that have talked davidson, charleston, elon, furman, appalachian and coastal carolina. davidson and charleston by far have the most press while elon and app fall in behind. i am not going to do research for you, you either will or you wont choose to research for yourself. i suggest sources like the burlington times news, watauga democrat, greensboro news & record, chattanooga times free press, wilmington star news, charleston post & courier, charlotte observer, richmond times dispatch, espn andy katz, kyle kensing as a starting point. you are then free to branch out from there to various other newspapers, blogs, television stations and independent sports reporters. you can also check in to specific school sports boards to find other articles linked from sources not listed above.

rumor, speculation or quotes are all in those articles. you can also check twitter for quotes of similar sports writers during and after various meetings, press conferences that have commented on items that are not specifically in print.

and no, i will not apologize. even if elon or furman or app do not move to the caa, doesnt mean that any of the sources are untrue. you just choose not to read them. take it as an insult if you want, i just feel like you should research and inform yourself rather than commenting on every thread showing ignorance.

tribe_pride
August 29th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Here is a rumor about Furman being considered for the CAA from the Richmond Times Dispatch from about 1 month ago.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/college-sports/2012/jul/25/tdsport01-caa-stays-silent-on-expansion-details-as-ar-2081393/

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Here is a rumor about Furman being considered for the CAA from the Richmond Times Dispatch from about 1 month ago.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/college-sports/2012/jul/25/tdsport01-caa-stays-silent-on-expansion-details-as-ar-2081393/

Thank you for doing their job for them.

Was it hard? No of course not. They're just being message boards douches.

henfan
August 29th, 2012, 02:12 PM

Yup, this is the exact reference I posted in #40 of this thread. Too bad you wasted 10 seconds of your life conducting a simple Google search for the know-it-all. Maybe he'll spend a little bit of time doing a modicum of research before spouting off next time. Ah, who am I kidding?

UAalum72
August 29th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I'm not going to do all of the work for you. I demonstrated one of the many places in the paid press where Elon was specifically mentioned, as you requested. If you want to read additional sources and those mentioning Furman, you'll have to do your own web search. John O'Conner, who's paid by the Richmond Times-Dispatch, would be a good place for an inquiring mind to start... in an article, say, around 7/25. ESPN employee Andy Katz might be another source for you to check. Furman and Elon rumors aren't new and ground breaking news for those who've been paying the least bit of attention to anything except the sound of their own voice. Sheesh.Clarification for the non-self-aware.

I will not put in an ounce of effort
Simplified that for you for accuracy.

fc97
August 29th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Well since no one attempted to answer my question about scholarships, I'm going to assume URI not only won't put any more money into facilities than they do in a normal year but that they're going to try staying in the CAA for as cheap as they think they can get away with.

so since no one stated differently, your provided no news stories saying this is the case, you are going to assume that what you said is true because, again, no one did their work for you?

so do henfan and i get apologies for the simple fact that we were right and you yet again are wrong?

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 07:08 PM
so since no one stated differently, your provided no news stories saying this is the case, you are going to assume that what you said is true because, again, no one did their work for you?

so do henfan and i get apologies for the simple fact that we were right and you yet again are wrong?

I never said it wasn't true. I simply asked if you could provide some links and you got uppity.

BucBisonAtLarge
August 29th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Uppity compared to ...?

Good news for Division I football in New England. Rhode Island belongs in a conference playing New Hampshire, Maine and Delaware, if they are playing football. This feels like a recovery from a(nother) low-water mark. Who thought Yeager would find his football conference fulfillment north of the Mason-Dixon line?

fc97
August 30th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Uppity compared to ...?

Good news for Division I football in New England. Rhode Island belongs in a conference playing New Hampshire, Maine and Delaware, if they are playing football. This feels like a recovery from a(nother) low-water mark. Who thought Yeager would find his football conference fulfillment north of the Mason-Dixon line?

he hasnt, still has one for slot to fill

fc97
August 30th, 2012, 06:43 AM
I never said it wasn't true. I simply asked if you could provide some links and you got uppity.

you said it was untrue over and over, despite articles being posted in response to threads you were saying this in.