PDA

View Full Version : Which team will win the Big South in 2006?

OLDLCOACH111
July 15th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Gardner-Webb
Coastal Carolina
Charleston Southern
Liberty
VMI

Go...gate
July 15th, 2006, 06:22 PM
VMI is my sentimental favorite.

rokamortis
July 15th, 2006, 09:04 PM
No votes for Charleston Southern? I had to be a homer and pick CCU - but my second choice would be Chuck South. They won the conference in 2005 although technically we were 'co-champs'. They have an awesome quarterback and a good corps of wideouts. They started slow last year but finished strong.

SpartanPride
July 15th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Coastal has the Big South on Lock Down!

July 16th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Coastal has the Big South on Lock Down!A bunch of up and comers inherit the BIGS... slug it out, coach it up, slide it by, wince and convince...

July 16th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Coastal has the Big South on Lock Down!What happened Punchykky??? Did you lose your password so you created another member name? Ask the admins to hook you up because multiple names are not allowed here. I like to know to whom I am writing. :nod:

SO ILLmatic
July 16th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Coastal wins again, while they wait for a call from the Southern Conference...

walliver
July 16th, 2006, 08:43 AM
No votes for Charleston Southern? I had to be a homer and pick CCU - but my second choice would be Chuck South. They won the conference in 2005 although technically we were 'co-champs'. They have an awesome quarterback and a good corps of wideouts. They started slow last year but finished strong.

PC 42, CSU 0:D might be a reason.

I was tempted to put down CSU (as they are the defending champions), but;

1) Last year they were not playoff eligible for an at-large bid
2) There big win came as the result of a monumental screw-up by Coastal
3) Last years schedule was heavy on D-II and non-scholarship teams

I'll have to wait for a quality win against a quality opponent before I can pick Baptist Collage at Charleston.

nlwwln
July 16th, 2006, 09:04 AM
gardner webb could surprise, some pretty good talent in place there, QB devin campell is set to take the reins but will have some stiff competition from incoming freshman stan doolittle who was #71 QB in the country and all everything in south carolina. Very talented RB in kelvin german who transfered to G DUBB a year ago from middle tenn state. could have the best receivin corps in the big south. Defense there is question marks at LB but there are some talented youngs guys ready to fill in for the departed veterans. not to mention the signing of freshman LB mario brown who was arguebly the best LB in north carolina last yr, could start immediatly. otherwise they are pretty solid on the DL and at the DB positions. They had 2 freshman make all conference honors in the secondary and also return rent sherill who is an all conference player. DE brian johnson is a 3rd team all american. There is talent down in boiling springs so dont look past gardner webb, they once used to own the league but then a team named coastal came along. Liberty is supposed to have made some strides in the offseason with recruiting and transfers but I still think they are a couple years away from competing. pitt transfer rashaad jennings no doubt will be a beast for them though. Chuck south is pretty good but they caught some breaks last year. I see them finishing third maybe fourth.

OLDLCOACH111
July 16th, 2006, 11:14 AM
gardner webb does have the number 3 receiving corps in the nation, headlined by 1st team all American devaughn flagler at wide receiver. Look for their offense to be the top in the nation for the second year in the row. The defense is making some impressive stride with recruiting. The Dline is deep with as said before, an all American at d-end, And solid performers across the front including young guys with plenty of game experience. Secondary should be solid with everyone coming back. Linebackers only have to fill one hole.

I'm telling you right now, don't sleep on this team!! This is a team that was a few plays of being 8-4 instead of 5-6 last season. Coastal looked passed last year and found themselves in Double overtime....

BigApp
July 16th, 2006, 12:46 PM
This is a team that was a few plays of being 8-4 instead of 5-6 last season. Coastal looked passed last year and found themselves in Double overtime....

With that OOC schedule (Union College:confused: , UTMartin-which you lost, Belhaven:confused: ) and that 10-point squeak-job against SAVANNAH STATE:o :

1) 8-4 is still nothing to brag about:rolleyes:
2) It's easy to roll up big numbers against such awfully weak competition, making your receivers look good

OLDLCOACH111
July 16th, 2006, 01:18 PM
We will just see what will happen on 9/23 Big App...

On the other hand, this post is attended for big south predictions.

GaSouthern
July 16th, 2006, 01:19 PM
ha! Appalacian will roll!

TheValleyRaider
July 16th, 2006, 01:51 PM
With each team only having 4 conference games, upsets make a much bigger impact on the standings, so it's even harder to predict. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Coastal is a little more focused for Big South games this year, and takes care of business accordingly.

Linehawg
July 16th, 2006, 02:15 PM
VMI is my sentimental favorite.

Yeah, mine too. I think the KeyDets don't help themselves in annual dart throws like these because of their history but I'm cautiously optimistic about what a new coach and great staff can do there. IF Reid's given the flexibility to prepare and control the players and IF the University adjusts the schedules to allow him to develop them and IF he's allowed to recruit the way he wants too, VMI will challenge annually and win the conference occassionally. I just don't have a lot of faith in the "perfectly comfortable with losing honorably" attitude that prevails amont the alumni and most of the faculty. They'll never get talented, serious players in Lexington and nothing much will really change reagrdless of Reid's coaching talents. No conference win is likely this year but I'd be surprised at VMI finishing last.xcoffeex

nlwwln
July 16th, 2006, 02:40 PM
ha! Appalacian will roll!

most likly APP will take this one but I wouldnt say by much. APP is a little deeper on both sides of the ball but GDUBB is a pretty talented squad. they arent going to be intimated by any means so APP better bring their best game. I think APPs offense will wear down GDUBBs defense come the 4th qtr but I would not under estimate their offense, they will not have problems putting up points this year. my final score is something like 35-28 APP in a nail bitter.

vmisport
July 16th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah, mine too. I think the KeyDets don't help themselves in annual dart throws like these because of their history but I'm cautiously optimistic about what a new coach and great staff can do there. IF Reid's given the flexibility to prepare and control the players and IF the University adjusts the schedules to allow him to develop them and IF he's allowed to recruit the way he wants too, VMI will challenge annually and win the conference occassionally. I just don't have a lot of faith in the "perfectly comfortable with losing honorably" attitude that prevails amont the alumni and most of the faculty. They'll never get talented, serious players in Lexington and nothing much will really change reagrdless of Reid's coaching talents. No conference win is likely this year but I'd be surprised at VMI finishing last.xcoffeex
I know you will find that there is a new commitment to winning in sports. It has been generally lacking in the past few years. Sure, everyone wanted to win, but the commitment wasn't what it needed to be. And, I think people have been surprised as how much of a commitment is needed to be successful. The recruiting wars are tougher (and VMI faces a smaller pool, but should be able to find enough good student athletes to fill out its roster.......heck, there's little competition for what we have as the college experience), there is the need to have first class facilities, and the attitude needs to be to win.........Reid is the kind of coach and person who can sell the school, no question. And that's important, as the Supt is not willing to compromise standards. Will it be difficult,sure, but Reid can do it. The commitment is there, and one relection is the nearly 20Million going into the football and baseball stadiums and the 10's of Millions for the other sports venues planned. A lot of graduating seniors from last year's teams won't help this year, but Reid is going to build a good program in the future.

Sly Fox
July 16th, 2006, 04:43 PM
OK, I admit I was one of the few stray votes for Liberty. But tot be honest, last year was pretty much a wash across the board in the Big South. There really wasn't much of any separation between any of the five teams. The Flames finished last but check out the scores:

Lost to VMI 10-7
Lost to CCU 27-21 in 3OT
Lost to G-W 21-16
Lost to CSU 31-30

Does that seem like the scores for a top-heavy league? I honestly believe ANYONE could win it this fall. And through my LU-colored glasses, I honestly nbelieve we will pull it off despite a road game in Conway.

justsaying
July 17th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Don't forget, Gardner-Webb has won the Big South Championship back to back seasons two years before coastal did, With a lot of starters coming back, I predict it is their turn to take back the crown.

IaaScribe
July 17th, 2006, 04:29 PM
OK, I admit I was one of the few stray votes for Liberty. But tot be honest, last year was pretty much a wash across the board in the Big South. There really wasn't much of any separation between any of the five teams. The Flames finished last but check out the scores:

Lost to VMI 10-7
Lost to CCU 27-21 in 3OT
Lost to G-W 21-16
Lost to CSU 31-30

Does that seem like the scores for a top-heavy league? I honestly believe ANYONE could win it this fall. And through my LU-colored glasses, I honestly nbelieve we will pull it off despite a road game in Conway.

The sad part for the Big South is that Liberty had two of those games won (Coastal, Chuck South) and flat choked them away. The VMI game was lost when LU's kicker blew a 27-yard field goal that would have sent it to overtime. LU fell behind at G-W and rallied, but G-W was in control pretty much the whole way. So Sly has a valid point here.

Cap'n Cat
July 17th, 2006, 04:32 PM
A bunch of up and comers inherit the BIGS... slug it out, coach it up, slide it by, wince and convince...

That's in a rap song, ain't it?

:confused: :confused: :confused: