PDA

View Full Version : The FCS Wedge - Listening Thread

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Tomorrow's show will have a guest or two. The first will be Mr. Alvin Hollins. Read about him here:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?114296-Mr-Alvin-Hollins-on-The-FCS-Wedge&p=1831053#post1831053

This thread will be interactive with the show so if you post on it you need to realize that your name may be called out.

Make any comments on the things going on you'd like to but that other thread that I started will have some questions pulled from this thread and placed there for Citdog to pose to Mr. Hollins during the show.

The show starts at 6p Eastern so click the banner at the bottom of the page to listen in.

Big Dawg
August 28th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Awesome!!!

813Jag
August 28th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Can't wait for the show!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Can't wait for the show!

Post a question if you have it now because I will move the good ones to the closed thread I have set up specifically for Citdog to be able to find them easily without sifting through other stuff to get to them.

813Jag
August 28th, 2012, 10:49 AM
any chance of the Southern/FAMU series continuing past this season's Atlanta Football Classic?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 10:58 AM
any chance of the Southern/FAMU series continuing past this season's Atlanta Football Classic?

I will move this over.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 11:49 AM
By the way, if you click the banner at the bottom of the page it takes you directly to the show page/player.

3p Pacific
4P Mountain
5 P Central
6 p Eastern

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Not real sure on how hastags work but this is the one I used #thefcswedge in case it means anything to anyone.

superman7515
August 28th, 2012, 02:11 PM
1) Florida A&M beat Miami just as Miami was coming into national prominence. What would you say were FAMU's biggest wins during your tenure and where does the Miami win rank all-time for HBCU wins?

2) Mr. Hollins worked with two of the great coaches of HBCU history in Rudy Hubbard and Billy Joe, both with several playoff runs. If you had to win one game today and could pick either one as coach, which one and why?

3) (From TheRevSFA) What was it like trying to recruit at FAMU with Florida State and Bobby Bowden in the same town and how did FAMU alter their recruiting plans to have a winning team season after season throughout Bowden's tenure?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 02:28 PM
1) Florida A&M beat Miami just as Miami was coming into national prominence. What would you say were FAMU's biggest wins during your tenure and where does the Miami win rank all-time for HBCU wins?

2) Mr. Hollins worked with two of the great coaches of HBCU history in Rudy Hubbard and Billy Joe, both with several playoff runs. If you had to win one game today and could pick either one as coach, which one and why?

3) (From TheRevSFA) What was it like trying to recruit at FAMU with Florida State and Bobby Bowden in the same town and how did FAMU alter their recruiting plans to have a winning team season after season throughout Bowden's tenure?

Excellent, thank you Supe & Rev.

citdog
August 28th, 2012, 05:15 PM
log on and listen!

the banner is on the bottom of the page.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 05:30 PM
xlolxEverybody's listening Cit! They can't post!

Emory left his mic open when it started I hear? Funny **** man!xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 05:32 PM
DJKYRO looking at the MVFC right now.

citdog
August 28th, 2012, 05:42 PM
go REV!!!!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 05:47 PM
go REV!!!!

yeah, special thanks to Rev cuz he stepped in and solved a problem I was having getting that one done which I fully appreciate.

FootballCEO
August 28th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Chat Line is LIVE!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Citdog is rolling it out right now for the SoCon. The way he says Catamounts cracks me up.

Apphole
August 28th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Citdog sounds like he's from Charleston or something. I swear I don't talk like a mountain man. I am adding a little twang for the App portion next week though.

citdog
August 28th, 2012, 06:08 PM
nice job 813jag!

BEAR
August 28th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Love it!

813Jag
August 28th, 2012, 06:16 PM
nice job 813jag!

thanks!

FootballCEO
August 28th, 2012, 06:17 PM
We're still on live.. Click this link www.blogtalkradio.com/ags-radio-show

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Is it over? It won't play for me with the link below. Did I miss it?

Still on brother. The live part just started. Refresh and try it again is all I can tell ya.

BEAR
August 28th, 2012, 06:18 PM
got it working...No idea what was wrong.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Make sure we get his credits in somewhere if you see this Kevin or Emory.

Wow, you guys are doing a great job considering some of the technical glitches. Way to roll with the punches boys!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Wow, Mr. Alvin Hollins is a good guest man. Thanks superman cuz this guy can fill it up with great discussion.

BEAR
August 28th, 2012, 06:34 PM
The RATTLAS~~~*

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 06:36 PM
The RATTLAS~~~*

Striking fear in the hearts of man and football teams everywhere. This guy is great!

BEAR
August 28th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Anygivensaturday.com???? I've got to visit that site!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Mr. Hollins plugs.

email plug for the radio show.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Show over in 3 min. Kevin.

MTfan4life
August 28th, 2012, 07:38 PM
tremendous show guys!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 08:11 PM
tremendous show guys!

Hey thanks man, glad you got to listen.

TheRevSFA
August 28th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I'm just now getting to listen. Good job everyone

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I'm just now getting to listen. Good job everyone

Emory had the mic open at the start so you'll hear background noise for a bit. I've edited a clean copy of it that will run at Midnight Mountain so I can upload the clean one to iTunes tomorrow but that won't do you much good.

TheRevSFA
August 28th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Nah its great. Ill knock my next part out of the water

813Jag
August 29th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Listening to it again....

TheRevSFA
August 29th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Good job Jag on your segment

BEAR
August 29th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Local radio show here in LR has these guys as guests today:

103.7 THE BUZZ
Coming up today in The Zone, Michael Felder, lead College Football writer for BleacherReport.com and Mike Parrish the Play by Play announcer for Jacksonville State.

It'll be interesting to hear their takes on football also. But great job yesterday and congrats to the WEDGE on their inaguaral show! Can't wait to hear more later!

superman7515
August 29th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Any word on what it is listed under on iTunes? Haven't been able to find it. I tried looking up anygivensaturday, no luck. Tried the wedge and there's a The Wedge Radio Network that had a bunch of stuff, but no luck finding the show.

ElonFirefighter
August 29th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Great show guys, look foward to next weeks show

bjtheflamesfan
August 29th, 2012, 11:05 AM
What is the regular time slot for the show? That way I can plan for a Big South recap of this weekend.

BisonBacker
August 29th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Alright I'm going to be the A-hole here and be critical. The first part of this show is horrid. Who ever produced this or is in charge of audio had ought to have his arse kicked hard. Open mic's and squeaky chairs?? I know this is new and I"m not sugar coating this so if you are looking for the rubber stamp "great job guys" you are looking in the wrong place. The audio from the first individual could be kicked up a notch or two also. Sounds like no audio check was done on his mic??

Ok so now that I have that out of the way you guys have your hearts in the right place just need to clean up the obvious mistakes. If your going to get a following of listeners you can't keep producing shows like the first one or you will go nowhere.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Any word on what it is listed under on iTunes? Haven't been able to find it. I tried looking up anygivensaturday, no luck. Tried the wedge and there's a The Wedge Radio Network that had a bunch of stuff, but no luck finding the show.

You have to submit it, then they approve it or something apparently. I will give that information as soon as it's available but I wanted to put a clean version up without the open mic and couldn't run the clean one until a new day dawned so it ran early this morning and I will be sending it to Itunes shortly.

I will let you know where it will be as soon as I do this.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM
What is the regular time slot for the show? That way I can plan for a Big South recap of this weekend.

The regular slot for the show will be Tues. @ 7p Eastern, 6c, 5m, 4p.

Your plan for what you will do for a recap will be different from that. You will have your audio to me by 6p Sunday evening...your time.

I'll get ahold of you and we'll work out the details in pm.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Alright I'm going to be the A-hole here and be critical. The first part of this show is horrid. Who ever produced this or is in charge of audio had ought to have his arse kicked hard. Open mic's and squeaky chairs?? I know this is new and I"m not sugar coating this so if you are looking for the rubber stamp "great job guys" you are looking in the wrong place. The audio from the first individual could be kicked up a notch or two also. Sounds like no audio check was done on his mic??

Ok so now that I have that out of the way you guys have your hearts in the right place just need to clean up the obvious mistakes. If your going to get a following of listeners you can't keep producing shows like the first one or you will go nowhere.

yeah, Emory was in the middle of another show when he kicked the audio on for this one...and left the mic open. I've explained that yesterday on this thread I think.

There is no ****ing mic check BB. We are all just regular guys with regular equipment (phones and a computer) doing a grass roots thing.

You expect the Dan Patrick show then that's where you should tune cuz this is most certainly not gonna be that. We ain't professionals but we're learning and trying to get better along the way to make something you don't already have. It's not mandatory listening my friend.

If you haven't done something before you have a learning curve so I appreciate that you couldn't just give constructive criticism (which we already know) but want to act like a dick about it. Good for you.xthumbsupx

BTW, a cleaner version was ran last night and is there but I'd stay away from it anyway cuz it isn't perfect either.

bjtheflamesfan
August 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
As someone with almost 10 years experience in radio and sound reinforcement (Curious what your experience is in those areas BB) I will agree that they need to fix some basic stuff but I did enjoy the content of the show so unlike my friend above, I will say great job on the first show and here's to more improvements next week

TheRevSFA
August 29th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Lesson learned. I won't record in my office.

No more sounding like I was doing phone sex. Seducing you with the southland conference

bjtheflamesfan
August 29th, 2012, 12:57 PM
The regular slot for the show will be Tues. @ 7p Eastern, 6c, 5m, 4p.

Your plan for what you will do for a recap will be different from that. You will have your audio to me by 6p Sunday evening...your time.

I'll get ahold of you and we'll work out the details in pm.

Sounds good. It'll give me time to get everything set up

BisonBacker
August 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM
yeah, Emory was in the middle of another show when he kicked the audio on for this one...and left the mic open. I've explained that yesterday on this thread I think.

There is no ****ing mic check BB. We are all just regular guys with regular equipment (phones and a computer) doing a grass roots thing.

You expect the Dan Patrick show then that's where you should tune cuz this is most certainly not gonna be that. We ain't professionals but we're learning and trying to get better along the way to make something you don't already have. It's not mandatory listening my friend.

If you haven't done something before you have a learning curve so I appreciate that you couldn't just give constructive criticism (which we already know) but want to act like a dick about it. Good for you.xthumbsupx

BTW, a cleaner version was ran last night and is there but I'd stay away from it anyway cuz it isn't perfect either.

Ursus, you missed the point completely. If you want to put a product out no matter the quality and look for atta boys from everyone knock yourself out. I like what you guys are doing IE. my comments about having your hearts in the right place and just needing to clean up the obvious. If you cleaned up the issues and have a better version on Itunes podcasts or wherever that's great. If you haven't been able to glean from my past posting in other areas I don't subscribe to the everyone gets a passing grade theory no matter the quality of work. My comments were meant to be critical. There is a difference between being a dick and constructive criticism by the way. If I had just posted negative crap you'd have a right to blast me. But I mentioned just cleaning up a few things to make it much more listenable (if that's a word) If all you are looking for is "Great Job" no matter how good it really was then people won't have the push to get a better product out there. I'm not talking about spending thousands or for that matter anything more than what you are currently doing. Even with the most basic computer equipment and mic's you do have some control on audio in and audio out. That's all I was getting at. How hard is it to do an audio check and listen to the result? Maybe tweak audio settings or sit a little closer to the microphone? Sorry you took the comments as a personal attack that wasn't the intent and shame on you, you should know better. I'm all for you guys putting out a program that you can be proud of to call your own. I thought you were a graduate of the "old school' not the everybody gets a smiley face and no child is left behind culture. So here ya go :) I'd of plastered some stars on here but since those aren't available this one will have to do 16715

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2012, 02:13 PM
BB, you can say that however you want to but I've had youngterrier, AZGriz, and several others say the smae exact thing you did but they did do it in a constructively critical way without adding your extra flair to appear the dick.

What the others did as opposed to your submission is give their observations while appreciating that a ton of work, from guys that are not pros and I suppose that is the reason for some giving the atta boys...showing an appreciation for the many hours of work.

You submarined any appreciation you may have shown with the style I think. As Bill Cosby once said "I enjoy a great steak, but try serving me that steak on a trash can lid and see if I eat it."

So hold your atta boys, I understand that...totally. But with the number of hours I've put in on it to make it happen in any fashion and the problems along the way and even the money...yeah I'll admit to a heightened sensitivity to your way of delivering the feedback and to reading your post with a certain amount of "**** you" in my reply.

I certainly know more now so thank you for your lesson sir.

ElonFirefighter
August 29th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Everyone has problems with open mics, just ask Richmond a few years back.

BisonBacker
August 29th, 2012, 02:54 PM
BB, you can say that however you want to but I've had youngterrier, AZGriz, and several others say the smae exact thing you did but they did do it in a constructively critical way without adding your extra flair to appear the dick.

What the others did as opposed to your submission is give their observations while appreciating that a ton of work, from guys that are not pros and I suppose that is the reason for some giving the atta boys...showing an appreciation for the many hours of work.

You submarined any appreciation you may have shown with the style I think. As Bill Cosby once said "I enjoy a great steak, but try serving me that steak on a trash can lid and see if I eat it."

So hold your atta boys, I understand that...totally. But with the number of hours I've put in on it to make it happen in any fashion and the problems along the way and even the money...yeah I'll admit to a heightened sensitivity to your way of delivering the feedback and to reading your post with a certain amount of "**** you" in my reply.

I certainly know more now so thank you for your lesson sir.

I'll just not comment on the show period. Best of luck to everyone associated with it.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I'll just not comment on the show period. Best of luck to everyone associated with it.

I kind of figured that is where we were heading because I tried to let you know that this:

Alright I'm going to be the A-hole here and be critical. The first part of this show is horrid. Who ever produced this or is in charge of audio had ought to have his arse kicked hard. Open mic's and squeaky chairs??

is a poor way of offering constructive advice.

So be it.

BisonBacker
August 29th, 2012, 03:12 PM
It's one thing to provide feedback (shows listeners has an interest) and another thing altogether to show indifference (show's listeners don't give a F_CK). Or just to give the rubber stamp atta boy which show's listeners not caring enough to give an honest opinion. As far as quoting me take the entire quote to get the whole picture Ursus don't just cherry pick the part you don't like (which by the way was the truth).

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2012, 03:24 PM
It's one thing to provide feedback (shows listeners has an interest) and another thing altogether to show indifference (show's listeners don't give a F_CK). Or just to give the rubber stamp atta boy which show's listeners not caring enough to give an honest opinion. As far as quoting me take the entire quote to get the whole picture Ursus don't just cherry pick the part you don't like.

You're talking one thing, it's not the thing that I am talking about. As I said, I got no problem with the help aspect of the post so I didn't quote it. I've already explained that though so I'll leave it at that.xthumbsupx

ElonFirefighter
August 29th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Bison, please calm down. I’m not trying to pick on you because yes I see what you were trying to say in your thread. I agree with you that there were some issues that need to be worked out and I skipped most of the opening due to lack of being able to understand it. But the way you tried to use your constructive criticism, causes ursus defense mechanism to come up. It comes off like your attacking him and the show. With all the work they have put in it comes off as an insult. I know this was not your intention, and you did point out some good issues they can work on correcting next week. Please try to understand why Ursus responded the way he did.

My input as a 3rd party observer