PDA

View Full Version : AP: Division Formally Known as 1-AA Debates New Name

Apphole
August 27th, 2012, 03:48 PM
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/division-formerly-known-i-aa-debates-new-name?utm_campaign=AP_Sports&utm_source=SocialFlow&utm_medium=Twitter

"The reality is, there's going to be a label used somewhere to differentiate between the Nebraskas of the world and the Woffords and Georgia Southerns of the world," he said. "It is a case of do we want to control the label or not."

Sinking ship I'm afraid.

Laker
August 27th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Did people really hate the 1AA moniker? I knew right away what it meant. Same with 1-AAA for schools without football. So they are going to spend a lot of money trying to figure out what will make everyone feel good? I'm with Bohl and Miles on this one.

Twentysix
August 27th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Did people really hate the 1AA moniker? I knew right away what it meant. Same with 1-AAA for schools without football. So they are going to spend a lot of money trying to figure out what will make everyone feel good? I'm with Bohl and Miles on this one.

The article seems to say that other sports coaches hated it.

Meaning your basketball team was branded Division IAA, soccer, baseball etc.

Probably had an effect on recruiting, percieved or real.

clenz
August 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM
1aa had a very strong d2 sentiment. Most college fans that it meant you were Division 2.

around here I was surprised how many Iowa and Iowa State fans thought uni moved Division 1 the name changed

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

asumike83
August 27th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Sadly, most FBS/BCS schools will look at us like DII regardless of what they call it. Division I-A and Division I-AA is just fine with me.

Maybe go back to 16 teams while we're at it as well? *ducks to avoid flying objects*

bonarae
August 27th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Uh oh, possibly another step backward to the acceptance of our subdivision as a whole... xsmhx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 27th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I personally like 1AA, it was a clear concise way of separating one from the other and I just liked it. Of course I really couldn't give a **** less what any 1A fans perceived it as so that never even came into the equation from my point of view.

The confusion when talking to someone about a certain team now in FCS just means you have to go through a whole nother round of explanation and it's intent to deceive what you are talking about has worked on some level.

I didn't click the article but I assume they are talking about another name change? I'll go look I guess.

FurmanWins!!
August 27th, 2012, 06:11 PM
FBS and FCS, its only 2 damn things, what's so hard about that, this is ridiculous

paul1978
August 27th, 2012, 06:39 PM
FBS and FCS, its only 2 damn things, what's so hard about that, this is ridiculous

xthumbsupx

putter
August 27th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Why not Division 1-B (wait, that would be D1B xeekx)

Lehigh Football Nation
August 27th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Out of all the problems in collegiate athletics at the moment, why on earth was this article written? Was there some problem with FCS/FBS that people have problems with? Was it losing people money? I don't get it. Why make this a story when there is no story?

This could be rewitten "Patty Viverito has a problem with the FCS moniker", because she's the only person that seems to have a problem with it. While Iammarino wasn't exactly gushing about it, it's not like he was clamoring for change.

Summarizing story:

Viverito: "I don't like FCS!"
Iammarino: "I'm not crazy about it, but let's not change it!"

Waste of newsprint.

GoAgs72
August 27th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I vote for 1AA. FCS and FBS are too confusing for the general population.

MplsBison
August 27th, 2012, 09:51 PM

Just call it DI football but have two different post-season formats. Wouldn't really be that much different than the NCAA tournament and all those other tournaments. People know the difference. They know the difference between high-major, mid-major and low-major programs.

Cocky
August 27th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Call FCS - NCAA Division I
Call FBs - Whatever the BCS group wants to call it.

Tribal
August 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM
FBS = "Haves"

FCS/1AA = "Have Nots"

simple.

henfan
August 27th, 2012, 10:22 PM

Agree 100%. I never understood how large groups of college-educated constituents have had such difficulty mastering two simple acronyms. Mostly it's just people being stubborn or nostalgic for long-outdated, meaningless nomenclature.

Personally, I always thought I-A/I-AA titles were damned silly and FBS/FCS not dramatically better. Division I is Division I. It should begin and end at that. Of course there are several conferences in current FBS that would not appreciate being identified in the same category as FCS conferences.

fc97
August 28th, 2012, 06:55 AM
the problem with it is, the media and even you guys cant use it right

1AA
1-AA
I-AA (the right way)
IAA

If member schools can't use it right, then what's it matter?

UAalum72
August 28th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Agree 100%. I never understood how large groups of college-educated constituents have had such difficulty mastering two simple acronyms. Mostly it's just people being stubborn or nostalgic for long-outdated, meaningless nomenclature.
It's also about a large number of media, pundits, and talk-show hosts, WHOSE JOB AND LIVELIHOOD SUPPPOSEDLY DEPEND ON THEIR BEING KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT SPORTS, deciding either it's cute, or to show their disdain for lower levels, by stubbornly refusing to say they can remember the difference after six years.

UAalum72
August 28th, 2012, 08:29 AM
the problem with it is, the media and even you guys cant use it right

1AA
1-AA
I-AA (the right way)
IAA

If member schools can't use it right, then what's it matter?Also the ESPN guys who occasionally pronounced it "Division Two-A".

clenz
August 28th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Um......how?

Football BOWL Subidivision - gee I think they play in bowl games

Football CHAMPIONSHIP Subdivision - gee, I bet they play a championship playoff.

As a fan of a school who is in one of the top "mid-major" basketball leagues in the nation (finishes top 10 pretty much every single year in conference RPI) I can tell you that getting rid of the D2 connotation that I-AA had has had a big impact on UNI. The name change didn't make our program, but it has made it a lot easier to recruit within the state of Iowa (along with success that we've had) as UNI is no longer commonly thought of as a D2 school to Iowa residents - like it was before.

Forget all of the names and blah blah blah.....Call if Division 1

skinny_uncle
August 28th, 2012, 08:55 AM
How about:

FBS = NFL farm teams
FCS = amateur football played by student athletes

Too honest?

bluehenbillk
August 28th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I quit FCS a while ago - it's 1-AA in my book.

andy7171
August 28th, 2012, 10:25 AM

At least you've given up trying to convince the new BCS "and one game" is really a playoff and the FCS name is null.

MplsBison
August 28th, 2012, 10:57 AM

Correct.

Both I-A and I-AA have playoffs championships now. Just because big time college football has always superseded the NCAA doesn't mean the I-A playoff isn't legit. Only fools think so.

Gringer1
August 28th, 2012, 10:59 AM
How about we call them "NCAA Football" and "Media Conglomerate Football"?

BR54Niner
August 28th, 2012, 11:18 AM
D2 or D1-PW (Pop Warner or Pee Wee, your choice). Regardless, it's not D1 football. Call it what it is and quit the charade.

ElonFirefighter
August 28th, 2012, 12:07 PM
D2 or D1-PW (Pop Warner or Pee Wee, your choice). Regardless, it's not D1 football. Call it what it is and quit the charade.

Not d1 hmmmm we are all d1 teams. All the conf are d1. Seem to me it's d1 football. There are two divisions. The division the miners need to be in and the one they will get there *** kicked in.

BR54Niner
August 28th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Not d1 hmmmm we are all d1 teams. All the conf are d1. Seem to me it's d1 football. There are two divisions. The division the miners need to be in and the one they will get there *** kicked in.

Puhleeze. Go sell that BS at the SoCon Jack-A-Thon. Yes, you're "technically" D1. But in reality, you & your conference brethren are D2. Heck, some announcers even think you are D3 (see Colin Cowherd). Come talk to me after you guys nut up and play REAL D1 football week in, week out. Until then, you're an educated Mars Hill, nothing more.

andy7171
August 28th, 2012, 02:06 PM
LMAO

ElonFirefighter
August 28th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Puhleeze. Go sell that BS at the SoCon Jack-A-Thon. Yes, you're "technically" D1. But in reality, you & your conference brethren are D2. Heck, some announcers even think you are D3 (see Colin Cowherd). Come talk to me after you guys nut up and play REAL D1 football week in, week out. Until then, you're an educated Mars Hill, nothing more.

What type of football do you play, oh that's right all you play is soccer.

fc97
August 28th, 2012, 02:22 PM

LOL!!!!!

Come back and talk when you actually play football.

LOL!!!!

There you go apphole, capitals and punctuation for that!

ElonFirefighter
August 28th, 2012, 02:28 PM
LOL!!!!

There you go apphole, capitals and punctuation for that!

LoL

jmufan
August 28th, 2012, 03:02 PM
It's all about branding. I would bet you would have less teams try to move up if there were more coverage for teams in the FCS. I think the FCS name did become more acceptable as a conference when ASU, JMU, and several others defeated FBS teams. What always annoyed the heck out of me was the importance placed on high school football, basketball or poker instead of the FCS.

henfan
August 28th, 2012, 04:15 PM
It's also about a large number of media, pundits, and talk-show hosts, WHOSE JOB AND LIVELIHOOD SUPPPOSEDLY DEPEND ON THEIR BEING KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT SPORTS, deciding either it's cute, or to show their disdain for lower levels, by stubbornly refusing to say they can remember the difference after six years.

Absolutely. I'd bet the majority of those folks- the educated ones anyway- understand the difference in the subdivision. They can't be THAT blissfully ignorant, can they?

89Hen
August 28th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Some of us never stopped using I-AA. FB/CS was a stupid switch.

asumike83
August 28th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Division I-A and Division I-AA. It is the most clear, concise way to label the upper and lower subdivisions on Division I football, hurt feelings aside.

MplsBison
August 28th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Division I-A and Division I-AA. It is the most clear, concise way to label the upper and lower subdivisions on Division I football, hurt feelings aside.

Should there be division I-A and I-AA for basketball? There are clearly different tiers when it comes to the post season.

MTfan4life
August 28th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Should there be division I-A and I-AA for basketball? There are clearly different tiers when it comes to the post season.

What are the clear different tiers? All schools have the ability to compete for the same championship. The labels would only be labels and nothing more.

Hammerhead
August 28th, 2012, 07:58 PM
They could call FCS the championship league or playoff series and refer to the FBS as:
the ice dancing series where the winners voted on by judges
or:
the meaningless exhibition game at the end of the year series

NoCoDanny
August 28th, 2012, 09:06 PM
D-1.5

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2012, 09:12 PM

I'd rather use I-AA and do in real life as all the people I converse with generally use it and understand it better. I use FCS on the boards for the most part but I will not give up the AA moniker...just better in my opinion.

skinny_uncle
August 28th, 2012, 09:23 PM

asumike83
August 28th, 2012, 10:58 PM

Different overall talent levels for sure but baseball, basketball and every other sport hosts only a single Division I tournament. No need for two tiers unless they plan to host separate championships.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 28th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I got it.

Division I - The Awesome Subdivision
Division I - The Other Division With Bowls And Stuff

:)

Go...gate
August 29th, 2012, 12:37 AM

Agreed.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 08:14 AM
What are the clear different tiers? All schools have the ability to compete for the same championship. The labels would only be labels and nothing more.

Really? I thought only 68 (or whatever it is now) teams can compete for the championship each year.

Other schools get invited to all kinds of garbage tournaments, some in which they can't even afford a neutral host.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Different overall talent levels for sure but baseball, basketball and every other sport hosts only a single Division I tournament. No need for two tiers unless they plan to host separate championships.

It just so happens that the NCAA has never been able to assert any kind of authority over the post season of big time college football. They never have and never will. Those schools and conferences are not going to let the NCAA get its greedy hands on their money any more than the NCAA is going to let someone else assert authority over big time college basketball's post season. The NCAA is the first and foremost brand represented in that post season.

That's literally the only reason that two sub-divisions exist in football.

Not a good enough reason, in my book.

You have division I football and that's that. The NCAA has its tournament, which teams may be invited to if they meet certain criteria (maximum scholarships, etc.). Else they're on their own. That'd work just fine.

Ivytalk
August 29th, 2012, 09:17 AM

I agree with Mike.

mmiller_34
August 29th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Why can't you just call it Division 1 and assume people know the difference; if they don't know the difference then it makes them look stupid.

chrisattsu
August 29th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Coaches that I have talked to at Texas State told me that they had to spend time dispelling the I-AA for all sports myth with athletes.

Teams from FBS Conferences that we were recruiting head-to-head against (Rice, UTEP, North Texas, Houston) would tell recruits that they didn't want to come here because Southland Conference was an I-AA conference for basketball, baseball, etc.

URMite
August 29th, 2012, 02:24 PM
They should just name it like roads
I-85
I-63

URMite
August 29th, 2012, 02:26 PM
How about:

FBS = NFL farm teams
FCS = amateur football played by student athletes

Too honest?

That sounds like when some of my friends who are BCS fans say we are semi-pro (compared to them).

I say "No, they are semi-pro, we are college."