PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Champ in 2006???

GaSouthern
July 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Who will win the southern conference in 2006?

JMU Duke Dog
July 14th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I think Appalachian State will win the Southern Conference title in 2006.

TheValleyRaider
July 14th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Furman

App. State stumbles while wearing the bullseye :twocents:

thirdgendin
July 14th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I voted App because I can't honestly pick us to win in Boone until we get over that hurdle.

AppGuy04
July 14th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I'm biased

Mr. C
July 15th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Must have been a Lehigh fan that voted for Elon to win the SoCon.

GSUhooligan
July 15th, 2006, 12:55 AM
I hope you guys keep thinking that GSU will be down this year. I also hope the coaches in the SoCon are thinking the same way as all you AGS posters. It's great to be the underdog and surprise the hell out of everyone. #7 here we come!

GrizFoo
July 15th, 2006, 12:58 AM
I had to go with the dark horse (Who says that about GSU anyway :eyebrow: , I think calling GSU a dark horse in football is an oxymoron) GSU.

It will be strange seeing them in a more standard O, but also exciting. I think they are going to surprise some people and I can't wait to see them play.

GaSouthern
July 15th, 2006, 07:26 AM
I pick furman to win it all this year so I gotta go with them here also.

catamount man
July 15th, 2006, 08:05 AM
WCU shocks the conference!!:thumbsup:

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ButlerGSU
July 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM
my pick is furman, pressure is on the purple.

Go...gate
July 15th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Furman, and I predict they will win in Boone and go deep into the play-offs.

PaladinFan
July 17th, 2006, 01:39 AM
I see Furman finally winning in Boone on the back of Jerome Felton.

I see Citadel upsetting somebody...lawd I hope it ain't us

I see Western beating ASU in the battle for that thingamajiggy

I see UTC upsetting somebody....lawd I hope it ain't us

I see Georgia Southern struggling early, but finding their feet.

I see Elon winning very little

I see Wofford finding the inner terrier and upsetting someone at home...lawd I hope it ain't us.

That said: Purple Reign. Furman in '06 on the legs of a power running game, a vastly improved defense, and a little baptist luck (if such thing exists).

DemiGS
July 17th, 2006, 01:42 AM
As for wishful thinking...

If it can't be GSU, then I'd like to see Furman take it. Anybody but ASU. Have you ever seen heads swell so fast?
Seriously though, FU seems scary to me. How cool would it be to have the third member of the big three grab a title in recent history?

sdgriz24
July 17th, 2006, 04:03 AM
I predict the Citadel to win the SoCon.

OL FU
July 17th, 2006, 07:47 AM
I love the number of people that think Furman may be the team this year and you know what? You may be right:nod: :nod:

But I tell you ( and yes I am a sandbagger) we lost some critical starters outside of the two that everyone knows ( Martin and Freeman).

And the main reason I have posted in GreatApp States countdown is to familiarize myself with our roster. We are loaded with Juniors and sophmores. I believe I have counted only 8 seniors on this years roster. So we are young.

While I would love to be wrong about this year, I think next year is FU's year:nod:

AppGuy04
July 17th, 2006, 07:50 AM
I love the number of people that think Furman may be the team this year and you know what? You may be right:nod: :nod:

But I tell you ( and yes I am a sandbagger) we lost some critical starters outside of the two that everyone knows ( Martin and Freeman).

And the main reason I have posted in GreatApp States countdown is to familiarize myself with our roster. We are loaded with Juniors and sophmores. I believe I have counted only 8 seniors on this years roster. So we are young.

While I would love to be wrong about this year, I think next year is FU's year:nod:

It's the less of 2 evils OL, Furman and App lost the least from the best teams, I think thats why they are clearly at the top of the poll

blueballs
July 17th, 2006, 08:30 AM
App has 17 starters returning and a much less demanding schedule than last year. I would tab them as the prohibitive favorite and can see only two things derailing them: (A) Elder screws the pooch (B) injuries. If Elder does his job and they stay healthy it is not unlikely that they could be celebrating again in 'Nooga come December.

flexbone
July 17th, 2006, 10:05 AM
I would have to go with App State. Too many returning players and the drop off at QB won't be as big as people think. Furman fans - Who is your QB going to be Gray or Sorrells?

OL FU
July 17th, 2006, 10:18 AM
WCU shocks the conference!!:thumbsup:

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

What are you guys doing, changin mascots, school colors, what?

:o :smiley_wi

OL FU
July 17th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I would have to go with App State. Too many returning players and the drop off at QB won't be as big as people think. Furman fans - Who is your QB going to be Gray or Sorrells?

Gray,

Sorrells will be there is Gray is hurt. But I cannot remember the last time Furman started a Freshman QB

MYTAPPY
July 17th, 2006, 10:35 AM
I'm a Homer. We do though have a good number of people returing and we have a decent shot. We will have a target on our back and that means that everyone will be gunning for us. A little scary. We will learn a lot about how our season will turn out after the JMU game. I hope its for the good.
GO APPS!!

OL FU
July 17th, 2006, 10:47 AM
I'm a Homer. We do though have a good number of people returing and we have a decent shot. We will have a target on our back and that means that everyone will be gunning for us. A little scary. We will learn a lot about how our season will turn out after the JMU game. I hope its for the good.
GO APPS!!

I think it is yours to lose. Biggest problem you have is GSU and WCU away.

SoCon48
July 17th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Wonder who the H voted for Elon?

OL FU
July 17th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Woder who the H voted for Elon?

Dos Elonesxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

smallcollegefbfan
July 17th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Must have been a Lehigh fan that voted for Elon to win the SoCon.

Looks like we have two Elon fans! I think you have to pick App State this year. Their schedule is not as hard as last year and they return 5 All-Americans from last year. They also have 7 players that have been listed as All-American candidates for this season. Furman appears to be a year away IMO. They have a lot of talented juniors who will be starting for the first time this year. Furman also has to play in Boone and we all know about the Furman curse in Boone lol. Elon, UTC, and The Citadel all seem to be just short on talent. GSU brings ASU to Boone but they have a lot of uncertainty with the new coach and offense. If you are picking based on what we know for sure then you have to pick ASU. Although, it could easily be someone else. The league seems to always be up for grabs.

FURMANFAN
July 17th, 2006, 01:29 PM
As a Furman fan I'm cautiously optimistic. As much from history as anything. Furman is usually pretty good. That being said, we have a new QB, three new starters on the OL, and an unproven defense. Last year's defense by Furman standards was awful. It did improve over the season but still fell well short of championship quality. The fact Furman was a stumble away from a championship game with a defense that gave up roughly 28 points per game is amazing. The defensive performance was so bad that Furman took the almost unprecedented step of replacing a coach. The new DL coach is getting good reviews though and I expect a better effort this season. Also, the team has had a full year with the new strength coach and the big guys especially appear to be stronger and leaner. There's a lot of talent on offense. Cautiously optimistic.

PaladinFan
July 17th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Gray will be under center. I don't think there was any "controversy" on that decision. He's a big guy, former running back. Doesn't have Martin or Sorrell's arm, but is far better of a runner. Key will be keeping him healthy. The one knock on Martin was that he didn't like to get hit. Gray is just the opposite.

Furman's backfield will have 220 lbs Ced Gipson, 225 lbs Reynaldo Gray, and 250 lbs Jerome Felton. Sounds like a running game setup if I've ever seen one.

blueballs
July 17th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Furman's backfield will have 220 lbs Ced Gipson, 225 lbs Reynaldo Gray, and 250 lbs Jerome Felton. Sounds like a running game setup if I've ever seen one.

...if your new o-line starters play up to your standards.

Don't worry, you will be plenty good but IMO we're all (and that means the entire division- not just the SoCon) chasing App.

OL FU
July 17th, 2006, 04:17 PM
...if your new o-line starters play up to your standards.

Don't worry, you will be plenty good but IMO we're all (and that means the entire division- not just the SoCon) chasing App.

A depressing thought to end the day:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :(

youwouldno
July 17th, 2006, 05:22 PM
The problem for App is that, even if Elder is the best QB in the conference, which is quite possible, that still could mean a major drop off from Williams. Sometimes it's the little things, how a QB leads his team, a turnover here and there, etc.

App St is a slight favorite overall, but I voted my bias in favor of the Paladins. Furman does have the best player in the SoCon (Felton) and a defense that showed a ton of improvement in the playoffs (well, except against Richie). The defense is the key, because Furman's run game is going to be unreal, even with some new O-line starters. That's a potentially devastating combo, as many GSU opponents have learned in past years (before their D went south). Other teams will have difficulty establishing a rhythm on offense and their defenses will be worn down by a Paladins O with a lot of physicality and some speed.

GSU has a solid shot at the playoffs but won't win the SoCon. I think Wofford will struggle. Elon and Citadel should be a tick better-- might not show up in the standings-- while UTC and WCU are wildcards, as always. They never did get the memo App, Furman, and GSU got, which is that you need to be fundamentally sound to win. Raw athleticism isn't enough.

thirdgendin
July 17th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Gray,

Sorrells will be there is Gray is hurt. But I cannot remember the last time Furman started a Freshman QB

1997 - Justin Hill and Brent Rickman. I know Rickman was a freshman, and I think Hill was a RS-Fr.

gasoutherneagle
July 17th, 2006, 08:34 PM
1997 - Justin Hill and Brent Rickman. I know Rickman was a freshman, and I think Hill was a RS-Fr.

1997 - The year everyone thought Southern would be a doormat for the second year in a row.

1996... 4-7
1997... 10-3, Paul Johnson's first year as head coach

2006... BVG's first year as head coach...

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning..."

"Rut-roe Raggie"...:smiley_wi

Kiss My Apps
July 17th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Furman does have the best player in the SoCon (Felton) and a defense that showed a ton of improvement in the playoffs (well, except against Richie).

While Felton is without a doubt an upper echelon player, its a stretch to say the least to call him the best player in the SoCon. IMO, that honor goes to Murrell.

Don't forget, Richie was responsible for 7 points against your improved defense in last year's semis. Elder produced the rest.

smallcollegefbfan
July 17th, 2006, 09:39 PM
The problem for App is that, even if Elder is the best QB in the conference, which is quite possible, that still could mean a major drop off from Williams. Sometimes it's the little things, how a QB leads his team, a turnover here and there, etc.

App St is a slight favorite overall, but I voted my bias in favor of the Paladins. Furman does have the best player in the SoCon (Felton) and a defense that showed a ton of improvement in the playoffs (well, except against Richie). The defense is the key, because Furman's run game is going to be unreal, even with some new O-line starters. That's a potentially devastating combo, as many GSU opponents have learned in past years (before their D went south). Other teams will have difficulty establishing a rhythm on offense and their defenses will be worn down by a Paladins O with a lot of physicality and some speed.

GSU has a solid shot at the playoffs but won't win the SoCon. I think Wofford will struggle. Elon and Citadel should be a tick better-- might not show up in the standings-- while UTC and WCU are wildcards, as always. They never did get the memo App, Furman, and GSU got, which is that you need to be fundamentally sound to win. Raw athleticism isn't enough.

I think you have to vote App until Elder shows he can't do it. He has never lost a game he started and he has a ton of talent around him. He won't have to do much. His situation reminds me of the one at Clemson. Clemson has a solid QB like ASU and Clemson only expects 150-200 yards a game out of him. I expect the same from Elder. Elder will turn the ball over some and he will even make some mistakes but I believe he will improve a lot during the year, just like Gray should.

I have to agree that Felton is the best offensive player but if you are talking about the top player overall I don't think it is that clearcut.

I believe ASU beats Furman this year but I think Furman will get revenge in Greenville when Felton is a senior.

seantaylor
July 17th, 2006, 11:33 PM

It's pretty hard to call someone the best player when they didn't even get 1000 yards. The best offensive player in the conference is Jayson Foster, and it really isn't even close. Foster led the league in rushing and TD's scored, with the best running back in the conference in the same backfield as him. He scored TD's 5 different ways as a freshmen, and he'll will be impossible to stop out of the slot, or in the backfield, or under center, or returning kicks and punts.

Kiss My Apps
July 18th, 2006, 12:12 AM
IMO, Felton is no better than the third best offensive player in the SoCon, behind Foster and Richardson.

K. Richardson's 2005 stats:

1443 yards rushing, 558 yards receiving, 21 TD

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2006, 01:29 AM
IMO, top offensive player is the fella who can put a team on his back and flat take over a game. To this point, I think the only one who fits that bill is Felton.

Richardson is a great back, but he was also the feature back. Foster touched the ball every play. Felton split time in the backfield with 3 other quality backs and got a fraction of the carries as that pair.

seantaylor
July 18th, 2006, 03:46 AM
IMO, top offensive player is the fella who can put a team on his back and flat take over a game. To this point, I think the only one who fits that bill is Felton.

Richardson is a great back, but he was also the feature back. Foster touched the ball every play. Felton split time in the backfield with 3 other quality backs and got a fraction of the carries as that pair.

191 yards rushing against Furman last year. That doesn't count as putting your team on your back?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=253090290

hapapp
July 18th, 2006, 07:53 AM
On paper it is difficult to pick against ASU. However, what's on paper and the results on the field are often at variance with one another. I am interested to see how the Apps react to being in the hot seat.

Last year, we really were under the radar for much of the season. Many of us in the ASU camp were confident that we would be good last year because we had so many skilled players returning but coming off a mediocre season in 2004 no one really paid us much attention. Now everyone knows what to expect and certainly will be gunning for us.

It is different playing with that kind of pressure. A key question is how will the team handle the pressure. It is a different mindset and, quite frankly, over the years ASU has not always had the best of seasons when there are great expectations.

Furman is a very dangerous and capable club with a lot of incentive. This very well could be the year they break the jinx in Boone. GSU enters the year with a lot of question marks. With lower expectations from their fans and foes alike, they could be a big surprise. Though I don't think they can win the conference, I believe WCU will be a tough foe for all in the SoCon including the Apps when they travel to Cullowhee.

AppGuy04
July 18th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Furman is a very dangerous and capable club with a lot of incentive. This very well could be the year they break the jinx in Boone. GSU enters the year with a lot of question marks. With lower expectations from their fans and foes alike, they could be a big surprise.

I don't think there are ever lowered expectations for GSU, or any of the Big 3 for that matter. If they have a decent season, say 7-4, fans will be pissed, trust me

OL FU
July 18th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Thanks

That doesn't surprise me. I missed most of mid-90's Furman Football traveling on business.

OL FU
July 18th, 2006, 08:15 AM
IMO, Felton is no better than the third best offensive player in the SoCon, behind Foster and Richardson.

K. Richardson's 2005 stats:

1443 yards rushing, 558 yards receiving, 21 TD

Very difficult to compare. Felton is a different type of player. I would imagine that he averaged no more than 10-12 carries per game.

This year he will be over 20 (which would be low for a TB which he isn't). It will be interesting to see what his average per game will be. I don't think a 100 yard average would be surprising at all.

Kiss My Apps
July 18th, 2006, 09:47 AM
How about comparing average yards per rushing attempt?

Wait... Richardson outperformed Felton at that too. :eek:

OL FU
July 18th, 2006, 10:44 AM
How about comparing average yards per rushing attempt?

Wait... Richardson outperformed Felton at that too. :eek:

I wasn't comparing the two. :rolleyes: just explaining why the comparison was difficult. But that doesn't surprise me. You don't get a lot of yards when you are running the ball from the other teams 1 one year line:rolleyes:

As a matter of fact Felton had the lowest yard per carry average of Furman's four main backs.

Felton 5.2
Carter 6.0
Gipson 5.8
Mays 6.1

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Since you brought him up, I really think Ced Gipson could be the suprise player in the SoCon this year.

MarkCCU
July 18th, 2006, 12:30 PM
GO PALADINS

OL FU
July 18th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Since you brought him up, I really think Ced Gipson could be the suprise player in the SoCon this year.

I concur. It was very difficult to get alot of pub when you are sharing the role with two other guys. I think that Carter was a very good back last year that took a backseat to otheres because he only carried the ball 14 to 15 times per game

OL FU
July 18th, 2006, 12:51 PM
And furthermore:)

After 2007 Felton will be one of the higher draft picks coming from the I-AA ranks:nod:

blueballs
July 18th, 2006, 01:49 PM

After 2007 Felton will be one of the higher draft picks coming from the I-AA ranks:nod:

No doubt about it, but if he's only getting the ball 8-10 times/game he's being underutilized- but please don't tell coach Lamb a GSU guy said that.

OL FU
July 18th, 2006, 01:59 PM
No doubt about it, but if he's only getting the ball 8-10 times/game he's not being underutilized- but please don't tell coach Lamb a GSU guy said that.

He averaged 14 carries a game last year. Which was about the same as Carter, the main TB. In addition, as you know, Martin threw a lot more than typical Furman QBs.

I have heard that we should expect Felton to get 20 to 25 carries per game in 2006

and nah I won't tell him, cuz he would probably just say, a GSU fan doesn't know what a true fullback is for anyway:p :D

Mr. C
July 18th, 2006, 02:14 PM
He averaged 14 carries a game last year. Which was about the same as Carter, the main TB. In addition, as you know, Martin threw a lot more than typical Furman QBs.

I have heard that we should expect Felton to get 20 to 25 carries per game in 2006

and nah I won't tell him, cuz he would probably just say, a GSU fan doesn't know what a true fullback is for anyway:p :D
There are a lot of defensive coordinators around the league who think that Felton is under-utilized and who think that Bobby Lamb tries to get too cute sometimes in his play calling. The best thing Furman can do this year is line up in that old Art Baker-Dick Sheridan-styled I formation and run the option again and again and again (with an occasional pass to Justin Stepp thrown in). Just keep pounding Felton until someone stops that big boy. Control the ball and keep your defense fresh.

Mr. C
July 18th, 2006, 02:18 PM

There are a lot of people in the know who tell me that both Felton and Richardson will be playing on Sundays in the future (and I'm not talking about the Arena Football League).

OL FU
July 18th, 2006, 02:24 PM
There are a lot of defensive coordinators around the league who think that Felton is under-utilized and who think that Bobby Lamb tries to get too cute sometimes in his play calling. The best thing Furman can do this year is line up in that old Art Baker-Dick Sheridan-styled I formation and run the option again and again and again (with an occasional pass to Justin Stepp thrown in). Just keep pounding Felton until someone stops that big boy. Control the ball and keep your defense fresh.

Maybe Lamb has realized the same thing since he says Felton will run 20+ times a game this year. :nod:

OL FU
July 18th, 2006, 02:27 PM

There are usually two main criticisms of Lamb. He is just too damn cutesy with his play calling and he is just too damn conservative with his play calling:confused: :confused:

Mr. C
July 18th, 2006, 03:51 PM
There are usually two main criticisms of Lamb. He is just too damn cutesy with his play calling and he is just too damn conservative with his play calling:confused: :confused:
I guess you can't please everyone. Maybe it's too different groups coming up with that stuff? I'm just passing along what I've been told. It will be fun (in my opinion) to see Felton run a lot this year. I really enjoy his style of play and watching him run over would-be tacklers.

OL FU
July 18th, 2006, 04:23 PM
I guess you can't please everyone. Maybe it's too different groups coming up with that stuff? I'm just passing along what I've been told. It will be fun (in my opinion) to see Felton run a lot this year. I really enjoy his style of play and watching him run over would-be tacklers.

I was not remarking on your comment as much as I think the two views are funny but not totally incompatible. For example, we are conservative and then on 4 and 6 in Boone we razzle dazzle for a touchdown try instead of the first down.

On the other hand, if not for Jason Hunter, we probably would have had a touchdown. :(

OL FU
July 18th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Lots of votes for the Citadel:confused: :confused:

Must be drive by Bulldog posters:nod:

MYTAPPY
July 18th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I was not remarking on your comment as much as I think the two views are funny but not totally incompatible. For example, we are conservative and then on 4 and 6 in Boone we razzle dazzle for a touchdown try instead of the first down.

On the other hand, if not for Jason Hunter, we probably would have had a touchdown. :(

I was scatching my head when that play unfolded before my eyes. I even said "why"????? :confused:

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Like why we started passing the ball in the first game against the Apps in the 3rd quarter. It was as if we were inviting Mr. Hunter and Mr. Murrell back into the football game.

The best and only way to demoralize a team is to take the football and ram it right down their throats. Georgia Southern made a dynasty out of this idea. Hopefully that's what the Paladins stick to this year...

FURMANFAN
July 18th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Yeah. Ranked fifth in 2004 and third last year. All the players graduating. Some too early to suit us. If Lamb doesn't tighten up, I don't know what's going to happen to Furman.

youwouldno
July 18th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I never said Felton was the most productive player in the SoCon. He wasn't last season-- he didn't earn that distinction on his own team (Ingle Martin).

But he is the most talented. Richardson is a great back, but he's more reliant on the guys around him. Felton makes plays with sheer physicality at times. Not to take anything away from Richardson, who really was the missing link that turned App into a championship team.

seantaylor
July 19th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I never said Felton was the most productive player in the SoCon. He wasn't last season-- he didn't earn that distinction on his own team (Ingle Martin).

But he is the most talented. Richardson is a great back, but he's more reliant on the guys around him. Felton makes plays with sheer physicality at times. Not to take anything away from Richardson, who really was the missing link that turned App into a championship team.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Has Felton ever scored more than 1 way? He is nowhere near the most talented player in the Socon. I'd put Chatty's RB over him, also.

youwouldno
July 19th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Rushing and receiving. No, he doesn't return punts... find someone 250 pounds that does.

Foster is definitely the most versatile player in the conference. He rushed for a lot of yards in the trip option. We'll see how his numbers are in a normal offense.

SoCon48
July 19th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Not to take anything away from Richardson, who really was the missing link that turned App into a championship team.
Very true. App had not had a dependable RB in quite a while.

AppGuy04
July 19th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Very true. App had not had a dependable RB in quite a while.

Balanced attack my friend, and will be much the same this year

OL FU
July 19th, 2006, 11:33 AM

That's true along with a much improved defense:nod:
I am hoping I can say the same about the Paladins at the end of the 2006 season with respect to the defense.

seantaylor
July 19th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Rushing and receiving. No, he doesn't return punts... find someone 250 pounds that does.

Foster is definitely the most versatile player in the conference. He rushed for a lot of yards in the trip option. We'll see how his numbers are in a normal offense.

Are you forgetting Foster's Socon Fresmen of the year season at wideout and return specialist?

1aafan86
July 19th, 2006, 07:04 PM
All of these guys are really good and they are the top 3 players on offense and could probably be the best all around player period. I think one huge knock on murrell is that he isnt that effective against the run. I think Hunter was the best defensive player app had last yr because he dominated in both. Teams are going to run right at murrell this year and see just how physical he is. Against the pass there is none better though. Foster is probably the most explosive player in the socon on offense, and Felton is the most dominant. He is a jerome bettis re-invented, and will get 20+ touches a game this yr. I saw a pic of him on the football forums at the uffp.com a week or two ago and he looks like a beast!!!!!...I would not want to tackle him.

youwouldno
July 19th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Are you forgetting Foster's Socon Fresmen of the year season at wideout and return specialist?

Not at all. That's why I said he was the most versatile. Being a great special teams player and making some catches doesn't make you the best player in a conference.

Baldy
July 20th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Not at all. That's why I said he was the most versatile. Being a great special teams player and making some catches doesn't make you the best player in a conference.
But if that same player also rushes for 1400+ yards with 21 TD's, passes for 800+ yards with 8 more TD's, and can score from anywhere on the field at anytime probably does make him the best player in the conference.

AndrewFU21
July 20th, 2006, 02:49 AM
It's hard to mesure a fullback's impact in a game by looking at statistics. Felton isn't going to put up the yardage or ypc of top tailbacks when he's used so often in short yardage situations and when there are so many other quality backs on the team. If we're talking about the best NFL talent in the SoCon, I'm confident most scouts would pick Jerome. Of course NFL talent doesn't necessarily win you football games, and I'd be more than happy to see someone else win the SoCon POY and the Paladins take home that championship trophy.:beerchug: :beerchug:

nick9c
July 20th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Foster is a talented player, but let's face it, he dropped quite a few balls as a freshman. Furman pretty much shut him down when he played the slot against us in Greenville. While he obviously has the talent, if you don't have a QB who can get him the ball, that can be a big problem.

pete4256
July 20th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Foster is a talented player, but let's face it, he dropped quite a few balls as a freshman. Furman pretty much shut him down when he played the slot against us in Greenville. While he obviously has the talent, if you don't have a QB who can get him the ball, that can be a big problem.

Facts is facts. Hands are the number 1 concern with Foster, IMO. He dropped a couple of passes against FU two years ago that would have likely been game-changing receptions.

He lined up as a WR for one series against WCU this past year and had two passes thrown to him--he dropped one and caught one.

I hope he'll improve this area of his game. If he holds on to the ball, you can expect that he'll once again be the best big-play threat in the conference.

Also, don't be surprised if Foster get used in the "slash" role that the Steelers developed for Kordell Stewart.

Or he might even get a good number of carries as a tailback. Who knows?

Perhaps he'll even run some QB (draws and option) in 3rd and short situations like Jim Donnan did with Hines Ward and Terrance Edwards at UGA.

My guess is that our staff will try to get him the ball enough times a game to put pressure on the defense to contain him on every snap. If not, they're wasting him.

FURMANFAN
July 20th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I expect Georgia Southern to do fine this year. There is just too much talent in the boro. They may stumble early in the year due to all the changes. I don't expect my Paladins to be a well-oiled machine in Sept either. Don't be surprised if the FU/GSU game in November is for at least a share of the SoCon title. As usual.

Black Saturday
July 20th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Just like APP did last year. Sometimes it's great to fly under the radar.

However, barring an injury to the QB Elder, APP will win the SoCon this year. Just too many good players back.

GaSouthern
July 20th, 2006, 02:03 PM

I agree, Adrian Peterson was the best player in the conference... Jayson is an amazing player and for sure a jack of all trades but I would not claim him as the best player in the conference. Yet, he is my personal favorite :bow:

Baldy
July 20th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Jayson has never played slot. He might have dropped a couple of balls in Greenville playing as a wide receiver when he was a Rs-Freshman, but he had a 59 yard KO return during that game, too.
He more than made up for those couple of dropped balls in last season's win when he pretty much had his way against the Furman defense.

blueballs
July 20th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Facts is facts. Hands are the number 1 concern with Foster, IMO. He dropped a couple of passes against FU two years ago that would have likely been game-changing receptions.

He lined up as a WR for one series against WCU this past year and had two passes thrown to him--he dropped one and caught one.

I hope he'll improve this area of his game. If he holds on to the ball, you can expect that he'll once again be the best big-play threat in the conference.

Also, don't be surprised if Foster get used in the "slash" role that the Steelers developed for Kordell Stewart.

Or he might even get a good number of carries as a tailback. Who knows?

Perhaps he'll even run some QB (draws and option) in 3rd and short situations like Jim Donnan did with Hines Ward and Terrance Edwards at UGA.

My guess is that our staff will try to get him the ball enough times a game to put pressure on the defense to contain him on every snap. If not, they're wasting him.

I think you've nailed it in regards to Foster, very good post.