PDA

View Full Version : LIU-Post to to Div. I (FCS)?

aceinthehole
August 26th, 2012, 07:54 AM
From NY Newsday:

The Division II football team at LIU Post has made steady gains in the highly competitive Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference. This is the sixth and perhaps final season for Post, as the PSAC, according to commissioner Steve Murray, is undergoing in-state expansion that could exclude Post, a football-only member. A decision is expected sometime during the season.

"What I know is there is no certainty in anything,'' Post coach and athletic director Bryan Collins said. "We can play as an independent, the challenge of that is there probably would be a lot of traveling. The second option would be do we go back to the Northeast-10 ? It's a scholarship conference now. The third option in the Division I situation, the Northeast Conference. But that becomes an institutional decision.''

A study to elevate some of Post's sports, including football, to D-I status or merge them with those at the LIU Brooklyn campus, which is a member of the Northeast Conference, will be conducted over the next year, a person familiar with the administration's thinking said.

Meanwhile, there is a football season to be played. If this is the last season in the PSAC, "We want to go out in style,'' said redshirt sophomore quarterback Steven Laurino, the PSAC rookie of the year. "We want to go out on top and then just move on, move up.'' http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/college-football/could-be-liu-post-s-swan-song-in-psac-1.3926558

NFLCB2
August 26th, 2012, 08:17 AM
From NY Newsday:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/college-football/could-be-liu-post-s-swan-song-in-psac-1.3926558

Not a move I'd like to see the NEC make, Whats your thoughts on the state of the NEC where do you see CCSU heading?

Laker
August 26th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Does this mean that they might play football in conjunction with the Blackbirds (I don't know how that would work)? Or would their move be independent?

UAalum72
August 26th, 2012, 08:45 AM
From NY Newsday: A study to elevate some of Post's sports, including football, to D-I status

Of course if they include football, they must elevate ALL sports, not some.

The Post campus now has more students and faculty than the home Brooklyn campus.

If they put football under the Blackbirds banner, could Post still keep separate D-II teams in other sports? In D-III Harvey Mudd, Claremont McKenna, and Scripps colleges combine to field a single athletic department, but don't have any teams unique to one of them.

aceinthehole
August 26th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Too early to tell, but LIU-Post is a quality D-II athletic program in the NEC footprint. I think they would be a good fit for the NEC overall, but of course I would like to see CCSU move on to the AE by then.

I can't imagine that the LIU administration would want to have 2 full Div. I programs (Brooklyn and Post) competing against each for studnets/recruits. I'm not sure what LIU's long-term strategic goals are, however they just completed a "rebranding" of the entire university system and campuses. LIU-Post is actually bigger by enrollment than LIU-Brooklyn. I know LIU-Brooklyn has increased their advertising and exposure in NYC in recent years, but LIU-Post has grown at a faster rate and is a "residential campus" unlike LIU-Brooklyn.

Maybe they try to "move" LIU-Post football under their existing LIU-Brooklyn administration, while keeping the rest of Post's athletics in D-II. Not sure how that would work if the athletes were still enrolled at the Post campus. The short-term soultion would be to move LIU-Post to the NE-10, if they would take them.

aceinthehole
August 26th, 2012, 08:53 AM
About LIU:

In its ninth decade of providing access to the American dream through excellence in higher education, LIU is a multicampus, diverse, doctoral institution of higher learning. One of the largest and most comprehensive private universities in the country, LIU offers 590 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degree programs and certificates, and educates over 24,000* credit-seeking and continuing education students in Brooklyn, Brookville (Post), Brentwood, Riverhead, Rockland and Westchester. The Arnold & Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences prepares students for successful careers in the fields of pharmacy and health care. The University's Global College provides a wide range of study abroad options at overseas centers in China, Costa Rica and India, and through program offerings in Australia, Taiwan, Thailand and Turkey.

LIU's nearly 650 full-time faculty members provide outstanding instruction, which is supplemented by internships and cooperative education opportunities. The accomplishments of nearly 177,000 living alumni are a testament to the success of its mission - providing the highest level of education to people from all walks of life. The University's NCAA Division I and II athletic teams, nationally renowned George Polk Awards in journalism and Tilles Center for the Performing Arts provide enrichment for students and the community.

Although a multicampus institution of higher learning, LIU operates under an administrative structure that includes a single Board of Trustees, a single president, a single budget and a single audit process. This structure ensures that each campus has the flexibility needed to reflect its own culture; to meet its distinct obligations; and to serve the needs of students, faculty, staff, alumni and members of the surrounding community.

University Center, located in Brookville, N.Y., is the administrative hub of the institution. Some of its business activities, including accounts payable, purchasing and marketing services are managed centrally, while others, especially those related to student support, are managed at the campus level.

http://www.liu.edu/

dgreco
August 26th, 2012, 09:52 AM
If LIU-Brooklyn absorbed LIU-Post sports I think it would be great for the NEC. The NEC would add another football program without the worry of adding another member (if CCSU stays). It keeps full members at 12 and brings NEC football members to 8.

Also, couldn't they do like other schools (mainly UMichigan) where the flagship is the only football school and the rest fund some sports at some other NCAA level. I think transitioning football over to LIU-B and adding the extra scholarships would be great; LIU-Post could still keep the rest of its DII sports in the ECC (which is a fairly low cost league anyway).

Lehigh Football Nation
August 26th, 2012, 12:10 PM
As nice as these ideas are, so where, praytell, would LIU-Brooklyn play their football games? Certainly not on C.W. Post's campus 40 minutes in the center of LI, where they've recently raised $4.5 million for a stadium upgrade:

http://libn.com/2011/09/26/c-w-post-fundraising-for-4-5m-stadium/

Seems much more likely to me that C.W. Post would just promote up their entire athletics program. If they do, though, they could have a huge Title IX problem. 70.9% of the undergraduate population is female.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/liu-cw-2754

BlueHenSinfonian
August 26th, 2012, 12:24 PM
nevermind, thought something that wasn't.

dgreco
August 26th, 2012, 12:40 PM
As nice as these ideas are, so where, praytell, would LIU-Brooklyn play their football games? Certainly not on C.W. Post's campus 40 minutes in the center of LI, where they've recently raised $4.5 million for a stadium upgrade:

http://libn.com/2011/09/26/c-w-post-fundraising-for-4-5m-stadium/

Seems much more likely to me that C.W. Post would just promote up their entire athletics program. If they do, though, they could have a huge Title IX problem. 70.9% of the undergraduate population is female.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/liu-cw-2754

Why not play at Post's campus? I know it is different, but UMass plays in Foxboro. If LIU can add a football program (theoretically, adding more exposure) who cares if it is in the middle of LI?

DFW HOYA
August 26th, 2012, 12:50 PM
One guess, admitedly so:

LIU becomes "one" university athetically under the Blackbirds moniker, but play all their athletics at the "Post campus" save a big game or two in the Barclays Center for basketball. This allows Post football to move up immediately without the usual wait accorded Div. II schools, and eliminates the need to host sports in Brooklyn which are admittedly undersupported and hardly noticed in the NYC sports community.

There is another possibility--when Case Tech and Western Reserve University merged in the late 1960's, instead of adopting one school's nickname (Case Rough Riders, Western Red Cats), they simply discontinued both, went to a new color set, and called the new team the Spartans. Bad for history, of course.

Laker
August 26th, 2012, 12:57 PM
One guess, admitedly so:

LIU becomes "one" university athetically under the Blackbirds moniker, but play all their athletics at the "Post campus" save a game or two in the Barclays Center for basketball. This allows Post football to move up immediately without the usual wait accorded Div. II schools, and eliminates the need to host sports in Brooklyn which are admittedly undersupported and hardly noticed in the NYC sports community.

This is interesting. I've never seen a situation like this before.

Blackbirds would be a more unique name than the Pioneers. But black and white wouldn't look as good as green and gold.

BlueHenSinfonian
August 26th, 2012, 01:07 PM
One guess, admitedly so:

LIU becomes "one" university athetically under the Blackbirds moniker, but play all their athletics at the "Post campus" save a big game or two in the Barclays Center for basketball. This allows Post football to move up immediately without the usual wait accorded Div. II schools, and eliminates the need to host sports in Brooklyn which are admittedly undersupported and hardly noticed in the NYC sports community.

There is another possibility--when Case Tech and Western Reserve University merged in the late 1960's, instead of adopting one school's nickname (Case Rough Riders, Western Red Cats), they simply discontinued both, went to a new color set, and called the new team the Spartans. Bad for history, of course.

Especially given the possibilities that could have come from a combination of those mascots. Rough Cats? Cat Riders?

dgreco
August 26th, 2012, 01:26 PM
One guess, admitedly so:

I think merging athletics makes the most sense for LIU, especially since the cost of running two costs more money, and the prospects for LIU-Post is (i'm assuming) is a complete lost financially (PSAC/NE-10/Indy FB and ECC olympic sports).

dgreco
August 26th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Especially given the possibilities that could have come from a combination of those mascots. Rough Cats? Cat Riders?

Red Riders would have been a cool name.

BlueHenSinfonian
August 26th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Red Riders would have been a cool name.

I still like this better:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fIskJE3O8sk/Sii7L6fkecI/AAAAAAAAAUw/FPUt_CyZNvo/s400/me-on-kitten.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
August 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM
One guess, admitedly so:

I think if C.W. Post does "move up" they will have to pull some sort of "one LIU" trick or merger to make it work. I don't know the M/F breakdown of LIU-Brooklyn's student body but you'd think it would have to bring down that eye-popping 70.9% number from Post.

Brad82
August 26th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Long Island has a ton of talent.
Maybe Queens and Flushing too?

Pard4Life
August 26th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Now Fordham would not be embarrassed to schedule them every year.

Go...gate
August 26th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Just confirming that "Post" is the old Long Island University, C.W. Post Campus? Saw my brother play lacrosse for Colgate against them back in the day. Always wondered why they weren't Division I. They would be a good addition to the NEC, IMO.

dgreco
August 26th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Just confirming that "Post" is the old Long Island University, C.W. Post Campus?

Correct, I think it was this past year that the school rebranded as LIU-Post when LIU became LIU-Brooklyn (I am assuming LIU added Brooklyn to make the market more aware.)

DFW HOYA
August 26th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Just confirming that "Post" is the old Long Island University, C.W. Post Campus?

Not to be confused with Post University (CT), which added Sprint Football two years ago.

http://www.posteagles.com/index.aspx?path=sprtftb

Go...gate
August 26th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Not to be confused with Post University (CT), which added Sprint Football two years ago.

http://www.posteagles.com/index.aspx?path=sprtftb

Thanks, DFW. I saw Post play 150-Lb FB at Princeton a couple of years ago and wondered if they were "C.W. Post". Of course, at that level of football , no SID travels to the games....

Danielr11220
January 16th, 2014, 08:26 AM
As a LIU Brooklyn Alumn (Grad School) LIU Brooklyn and Post have nothing in common other than the LIU umbrella, its almost if they don't want to be linked together. Post and the other Long Island campuses (Riverheard and Brentwood), all declined to have a one school graduation ceremony at The Barclay's Center, opting for a joint ceremony at Post instead. The former President spent 99% percent of his time at the Post campus, and showed a lot of favoritism towards post. We will see what the new president does, she has been known as a college fixer, and has vowed to divide her attention between Brooklyn and Post Evenly. However, if Post moves up the schools wouldn't consolidate the teams they would keep them separate just to bring to rival in the realm of sports.

RichH2
January 16th, 2014, 09:40 AM
This proposal has benn around in various forms for years. I think it is a good idea. I expect LIU Bklyn Center will become the satellite campus as had happened with StJohn's Bklyn before it died.

UNHWildcat18
January 16th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Just looking at their website, they have a construction page with facts and links about the campaign to donate and make it happen. UNH needs to take notes...... 4,500 spectators perfect for NECFB. Honestly they could easily do the same on the other half to increase to 8k with endzones to build on too, granted they ever wanted to expand a long ways down the road. Good for them though.

ngineer
January 16th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Red Ryders would have been a cool name.

Fixin' it like I did , they could be called the "BB Guns" or "The Ralphies"!!

I remember playing C.W. Post back in the early '70s when we were all D-II. They had a fairly prolific passer at the time, who I think had a cup of coffee in the NFL, but I can't remember his name.

danefan
January 16th, 2014, 12:24 PM
is it possible that a move to DI through a merger with LIU-Brooklyn's athletic program might actually save LIU money?

Becomes logistically interesting - do the redundant programs just combine? What in the world does the NCAA do?

Bogus Megapardus
January 16th, 2014, 12:30 PM
I propose a new conference consisting entirely of institutions named after consumer products of the industrial age. C.W. Post, Colgate, Ball State, Kellogg, Carnegie, Wells . . .

NHwildEcat
January 16th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Too early to tell, but LIU-Post is a quality D-II athletic program in the NEC footprint. I think they would be a good fit for the NEC overall, but of course I would like to see CCSU move on to the AE by then.

I can't imagine that the LIU administration would want to have 2 full Div. I programs (Brooklyn and Post) competing against each for studnets/recruits. I'm not sure what LIU's long-term strategic goals are, however they just completed a "rebranding" of the entire university system and campuses. LIU-Post is actually bigger by enrollment than LIU-Brooklyn. I know LIU-Brooklyn has increased their advertising and exposure in NYC in recent years, but LIU-Post has grown at a faster rate and is a "residential campus" unlike LIU-Brooklyn.

Maybe they try to "move" LIU-Post football under their existing LIU-Brooklyn administration, while keeping the rest of Post's athletics in D-II. Not sure how that would work if the athletes were still enrolled at the Post campus. The short-term soultion would be to move LIU-Post to the NE-10, if they would take them.

They NE-10 would take them with open arms. UMass-Lowell left this year, so the conference is down to 15 members. They are an affiliate member already in football and field hockey. They's help even out the basketball schedule and baseball schedules esp.

Go...gate
January 16th, 2014, 10:18 PM
I propose a new conference consisting entirely of institutions named after consumer products of the industrial age. C.W. Post, Colgate, Ball State, Kellogg, Carnegie, Wells . . .

Is there a college or university named after Kellogg?

superman7515
January 16th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Can Chicago get an associate membership thanks to Rockefeller/Marshall?

Bogus Megapardus
January 17th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Is there a college or university named after Kellogg?

I cheated just a bit . . . .

http://www.businessmba.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/kellogg-graduate-school-of-management.jpg

Now, if only CW Post would change its mascot -

http://img3.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/623/media/images/Post_Foods_Post_Toasties_Corn_Flakes_Nutritional_I nformation_Chart_48675.jpg

Just being there for a pre-game introduction of the "Post Toasties" would be one of those can't-miss classics of collegiate athletics.

Bogus Megapardus
January 17th, 2014, 12:11 AM
I forgot Hobart. You definitely have to include Hobart.

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mF5KwZzdk4SlhQGwOsEkFBA.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
January 17th, 2014, 07:55 AM
But if your entire college is named after an 1897 Becton-Dickinson rectal thermometer, where do you go with that?

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/2746/pm2w.png

UAalum72
January 17th, 2014, 09:06 AM
I don't know if you want to add Oshkosh, but for sure Stetson qualifies
https://www.nmnathletics.com/ads2/478945.jpg?M=201109301510

Bogus Megapardus
January 17th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I don't know if you want to add Oshkosh, but for sure Stetson qualifies

Looks like we're going to need two divisions. xnodx

Sandlapper Spike
January 17th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I was reading this thread, and just noticed that it got "bumped" yesterday after 18 months...

Laker
January 17th, 2014, 01:19 PM
I was reading this thread, and just noticed that it got "bumped" yesterday after 18 months...

An 18 month bump would be almost as long as an elephants............

ngineer
January 18th, 2014, 10:42 AM
An 18 month bump would be almost as long as an elephants............

...tusk, tusk...(;-)