PDA

View Full Version : HC Dick Biddle's thoughts as Colgate winds up camp

Go...gate
August 25th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Defensive worries....

http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/news/2012/8/24/FB_0824125226.aspx

Sader87
August 25th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Sort of a "back-handed dig' on the PL in his last quote? Or am I reading too much into it?

CFBfan
August 26th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Sort of a "back-handed dig' on the PL in his last quote? Or am I reading too much into it?

We just don't have the margin of error and that's the way it is by and large in this league and at this level.

Sader I would say that he was not digging the PL but instead looking at the need to play well every week at "this level" which I read as FCS because they are not talented enough not too........

TheValleyRaider
August 26th, 2012, 07:46 AM

Sounds like a lot of coach-speak. "We could win every game, but we have to be at our best, the competition's too tight..."

My best guess still sees this team sitting at around .500 for the season. We could hit 8 wins if everything breaks right, but 5 or 6 again seems most likely

Pard4Life
August 26th, 2012, 11:46 AM
No, this is his last quote... which is more or less true...
“Everybody's very consistently about the same.”

carney2
August 26th, 2012, 12:04 PM

I didn't take it as a "dig," but, ever the curmudgeon, who knows with Biddle. I would doubt that he's passing out bulletin board material before the games even begin however.

I'm blowing cold to lukewarm on this team. The concerns over defense are persistent year after year, but the positive statements about the offensive line are encouraging. Everyone knew that he has the QB and at least one RB.

As for the Patriot League, it really is a mediocre mass waiting for someone to bubble to the surface. Why not Colgate?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 26th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Biddle is pretty much echoing what I've heard from every PL coach this year thus far: everyone's really close in talent, and the difference might be one or two plays in one direction that separates the winners and the losers. I (gasp) agree with carney: why not Colgate?

There are no, I repeat no, have-nots in this league this year. Every team has big issues they need to resolve, and the one that resolves them best by league play will be in good shape to win it all.

heath
August 26th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Biddle is pretty much echoing what I've heard from every PL coach this year thus far: everyone's really close in talent, and the difference might be one or two plays in one direction that separates the winners and the losers. I (gasp) agree with carney: why not Colgate?

There are no, I repeat no, have-nots in this league this year. Every team has big issues they need to resolve, and the one that resolves them best by league play will be in good shape to win it all.

CYA Chuckie:D

Go...gate
August 26th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Biddle is pretty good about NOT putting out bulletin board material. I seriously doubt he was taking a dig at the PL.

P.S. I can't see Colgate winning the Championship.

DFW HOYA
August 26th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Right now, it's Lehigh's race and five others are fighting for second, while Fordham waits its time and adds more on scholarship.

van
August 27th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Right now, it's Lehigh's race and five others are fighting for second, while Fordham waits its time and adds more on scholarship.

I'll feel better about that (I hope) once I see how our O does on Saturday!

RichH2
August 27th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Me too. Cannot shake the uncertainty. Glad we are opening home. We need these first couple of games to set the tone. Dont expect us to dominate but we must settle in amd improve before Liberty. CCSU always a tough game.

carney2
August 27th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Me too. Cannot shake the uncertainty. Glad we are opening home. We need these first couple of games to set the tone. Dont expect us to dominate but we must settle in amd improve before Liberty. CCSU always a tough game.

Jeezus, you people are insufferable. You don't have a tough game - not one. Even Liberty isn't that good. It's cupcake after cupcake.

RichH2
August 27th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Nerves do not respond to logic. I realize games are not tough but so many new parts this yr on O and D , I do not expect us to run thru the sched. Any team can screw up a game. So as I am every yr, I will be nervous. Recall too well the late 60s and 80s when we were terrible.

van
August 27th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Jeezus, you people are insufferable. You don't have a tough game - not one. Even Liberty isn't that good. It's cupcake after cupcake.

Hope you are right Carney, if we put up 35 against them I will agree with you, otherwise I invoke the right to be nervous.

Fordham
August 27th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Nerves do not respond to logic. I realize games are not tough but so many new parts this yr on O and D , I do not expect us to run thru the sched. Any team can screw up a game. So as I am every yr, I will be nervous. Recall too well the late 60s and 80s when we were terrible.

Wow, can't believe how easy it was for carney to get you to admit that you don't have any tough games on your schedule!xawesomex

RichH2
August 27th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Never claimed we did. I thought AD did great job scheduling down given the large losses we habe on O amd.D.

Pard4Life
August 27th, 2012, 12:08 PM
That's all right, cupcakes will make Lehigh soft and pudgy so once they play us, they will be served a cold, hard dish of Chicken Hawk stew.

van
August 27th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Wow, can't believe how easy it was for carney to get you to admit that you don't have any tough games on your schedule!xawesomex

No question this is one of the lighter schedule we have had for some time. Not sure how that happened, are teams ducking us now that we have had some success, just the luck of scheduling, conspiracy on the part of our AD, something else. Anyway, it is what it is, and we just need to win the ones we should and it will all work out. Not the first time anyone had a soft schedule.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 27th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Every team at this point has question marks. Lehigh could easily go 11-0 or 6-5 if certain questions aren't answered. Given the coaching staff and talent that is on the roster, there's good reason to believe things will be figured out and the Hawks will have another successful season.

I still don't believe the schedule is easy. All the tough games are one the road, CCSU, Liberty, Holy Cross, Georgetown and Lafayette. The bye week before Holy Cross does come at the perfect time.

Pard4Life
August 27th, 2012, 12:10 PM
When is Harvard going back on your schedule? Will you ever schedule Penn? How about more CAA teams and not NEC teams?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM
When is Harvard going back on your schedule? Will you ever schedule Penn? How about more CAA teams and not NEC teams?

Hopefully Harvard, Brown or Penn will return in the near future. The biggest eyesore on the schedule is Columbia imo. The two haven't met since Lehigh beat them by 50 in 1999.

Lehigh just came to the end of a pretty long series with Villanova as well as a home and home with UNH.

The NEC games really don't bother me. They're regional schools that you might face early in the playoffs so it makes sense to play them. The CCSU game, in they're expanded stadim, should be a really fun roadie!

Go...gate
August 27th, 2012, 12:24 PM

I have a sad feeling that the days of numerous PL-Ivy games may be a thing of the past, though Penn seems willing to play LC and LU along with CAA teams. Would love to see Harvard and Colgate play but David Roach, our now-former AD advised that Harvard, Brown, Penn and Columbia would not even take "1 for 2" scheduling. IMO, it was Roach's own laziness - Fred Dunlap and Mark Murphy were able to schedule all the Ivies. I hope our new AD gets more Ivies back on the schedule.

TheValleyRaider
August 27th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I have a sad feeling that the days of numerous PL-Ivy games may be a thing of the past, though Penn seems willing to play LC and LU along with CAA teams. Would love to see Harvard and Colgate play but David Roach, our now-former AD advised that Harvard, Brown, Penn and Columbia would not even take "1 for 2" scheduling. IMO, it was Roach's own laziness - Fred Dunlap and Mark Murphy were able to schedule all the Ivies. I hope our new AD gets more Ivies back on the schedule.

Much as I was never a Roach fan, I'm not completely prepared to blame that one on him. The Ivies change ADs too, and quite frankly if they aren't willing to come to Hamilton, forget 'em

On the other hand, the schedule picks up considerably in the future with FBS games (Air Force/Ball St), CAA opponents (Delaware, UNH) and the return of some Ivies (Yale and Cornell), so I will have to give some credit for that

Still very curious to see what they are looking for with the new AD. May tell us a great deal about how Herbst sees athletics at Colgate

DFW HOYA
August 27th, 2012, 01:32 PM

Sixty sholarships will curtail many Ivy-PL series going forward. Georgetown has already picked up games with Harvard and Brown that would have gone to Hamilton in an earlier era.

If Colgate is full-steam-ahead for 60 scholarships, it should look to a semi-annual game with Syracuse or Buffalo, one or two northern CAA schools, and lock down a 10-year deal with Cornell to fill out the schedule.

Sader87
August 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
It'll be interesting going forward vis a vis PL-IL scheduling now that the PL has schollies....in many ways, HC having football scholarships (and beating the Ivies regularly) led to the creation of the Patriot (nee Colonial) League.

carney2
August 27th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Never claimed we did. I thought AD did great job scheduling down given the large losses we habe on O amd.D.

There ya have it. AD Joe Sterrett looked at the roster and realized this is the year to schedule middle schools and convents. Did I already use the word "insufferable?"

Go...gate
August 27th, 2012, 04:07 PM
There ya have it. AD Joe Sterrett looked at the roster and realized this is the year to schedule middle schools and convents. Did I already use the word "insufferable?"

LC needs to get a few cupcakes back on the sked. Maybe if C.W. Post goes FCS....

carney2
August 27th, 2012, 04:12 PM
LC needs to get a few cupcakes back on the sked. Maybe if C.W. Post goes FCS....

Would that it were. Even this year's ultimate cupcake, Princeton, is a perpetual nightmare in Easton.

Go...gate
August 27th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Carney2, I think you will handle PU this year.

carney2
August 27th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Carney2, I think you will handle PU this year.

Me too, but you start to add it up and you just begin to believe that the football gods have singled you out for a flogging:

2010 - Pushed them around for 53 minutes and then you could just feel it turn. Two OTs, but it was not in doubt.
130 years and only 4 victories.

Something just ain't right with this one.

Pard4Life
August 27th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I have a sad feeling that the days of numerous PL-Ivy games may be a thing of the past, though Penn seems willing to play LC and LU along with CAA teams. Would love to see Harvard and Colgate play but David Roach, our now-former AD advised that Harvard, Brown, Penn and Columbia would not even take "1 for 2" scheduling.

You would think so, but Lafayette has four OOC Ivy games next year -- Penn, Yale, Harvard, Princeton, and three for 2014, and I don't recall 2015. Penn has not played Lehigh for awhile, but we are a rival of theirs... most played outside of the Ivy and approaching 90 games and was a fierce rivalry from like 1883 to the 1920s. Penn only can schedule three OOCs... which are usually us, Villanova, Bucknell. W&M has made an appearance on the schedule, and so has Fordham.

That's bizarre why those other teams will not play you... we have a weird 2-2 deal with Harvard, but it always seems we are playing at their place. I like the concept of playing them because it's a) Harvard and b) they are a good team... but c) the game always seems to be in the middle of the season and following a game where we suffered an emotional breakdown, and subsequently embarrass ourselves.