PDA

View Full Version : Maine vs. Nebraska

PapaBear
May 26th, 2005, 03:28 PM
I'm a newcomer and have been both impressed and a little intimidated by the level of knoweldge and loyalty y'all have to IAA football. It's a real treat to read the posts on here. My wife's seen so little of me lately, she's wondering if I secretly got back into coaching.

Interested in opinions about the UMaine-Nebraska matchup on Sept 3 in Lincoln. A winnable game for the Black Bears, or just a potboiling-asskicking?

JMU Duke Dog
May 26th, 2005, 03:33 PM
The way both teams have been playing in recent years, I think Maine has a chance. I will be pulling for the Black Bears to beat a I-A team for the second time in two consecutive seasons.

89Hen
May 26th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I wish I could agree with you dog, but Maine certainly isn't going to sneak up on NU. I don't think it will be close after 3 quarters.

Eagle_77
May 26th, 2005, 03:40 PM
While Nebraska isnt the team it was int the 90's and early part of this decade they are not in the condition that MSU was last year. Not taking away from Maine because a SEC team is a SEC team and a great win but Nebraska is much more talented. While I hope Maine pulls this out I dont think they will have as much luck against I-A this year.

Umass74
May 26th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Nebraska is in the upper end of 1-A. Their resources are way above what is available to 1-AA teams. When we played Kansas State two years ago, the game magazine said K-State had strength and conditioning staff of 16. All of whom work with the football team in season. UMass has one full time strength coach…

So Nebraska should win by about 35 points.

That said, Maine is one of 1-AA’s most physical teams. They play football like they play hockey. They rarely loose in the bloody nose count. The effect is particularly noticeable on teams who have never met them.

The Black Bears stopped 1-A Mississippi State in their tracks last year. Maine is a better team than most MAC teams, but the disparity in scholarships and talent level should be too great to overcome.

Everybody here will be rooting for Maine to make a game of it. I know one thing; the Black Bears won’t be intimidated.

eaglefan452
May 26th, 2005, 04:01 PM
I think Maine might make it a game for a quarter, but Nebraska will pull away with it eventually. I say Nebraska by 27. Hope Maine can pull it off though.

Ivytalk
May 26th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Eaglefan, I agree with you. Four touchdowns is about right.

WMTribe90
May 26th, 2005, 05:42 PM
MSU did beat Florida a few weeks later, so I'm not sure how much better NU is compared to MSU. I don't think Nebraska could have beaten UF last year. This year is a different story. Last year would have been the time to play the Huskers. Still Maine plays hard and with confidence. Maine won't score much, but their defense will keep it close for at least a half. Huskers by 20.

Tribe4SF
May 26th, 2005, 06:25 PM
I agree, 90. Last year was probably the time to catch Nebraska. They really were not a good football team. If Nebraska is in a continuing slump, they better watch out. A-10 teams have been competing more consistently with I-As the last few years. Now our game with Marshall is a possibility. Tough to win it breaking in a new QB, but I think we will match up with them pretty well.

Tribe4SF
May 26th, 2005, 06:29 PM
I'm a newcomer and have been both impressed and a little intimidated by the level of knoweldge and loyalty y'all have to IAA football. It's a real treat to read the posts on here. My wife's seen so little of me lately, she's wondering if I secretly got back into coaching.

Interested in opinions about the UMaine-Nebraska matchup on Sept 3 in Lincoln. A winnable game for the Black Bears, or just a potboiling-asskicking?

Welcome aboard, PapaBear! I'd recommend you say something negative about Delaware to get your feet wet. Lord knows they've had plenty to say about your Bears. :nod:

Grizo406
May 26th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Now our game with Marshall is a possibility. Tough to win it breaking in a new QB, but I think we will match up with them pretty well.

I'd like to see your team thump Marshall, I really would!

As far as the Black Bears go, I'd love to see them do well against NU. Not a moral victory, but a good solid performance, and hopefully a win.

When MSU played in Missoula, I met quite a few Black Bear fans, and found them to be a Class Act, with not a dud in the bunch. All of them were complimentary, appreciative of our hospitality, and good sports. I've liked them ever since, and hope they have a successful season.

McNeese75
May 26th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Good luck to the Black Bears but I am afraid it will not be close. Anything less than a 4 TD loss should be considered a good effort.

PapaBear
May 27th, 2005, 05:28 AM
As far as the Black Bears go, I'd love to see them do well against NU. Not a moral victory, but a good solid performance, and hopefully a win.

I can tell you this: Coach Cos and Co. aren't going out there just to give "a solid performance." No one is being naive about the trip. But the Black Bears, to quote Herman Edwards, definitely will "play to win the game."

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, folks. This will be one of several great IA-IAA games this season. Good luck to all who are willing to step up and challenge themselves.

Tribe4SF
May 27th, 2005, 05:28 AM
When MSU played in Missoula, I met quite a few Black Bear fans, and found them to be a Class Act, with not a dud in the bunch. All of them were complimentary, appreciative of our hospitality, and good sports. I've liked them ever since, and hope they have a successful season.

Glad to hear that about the Maine fans. Since we're in different A-10 divisions, we've only played them 6 times and I've never been to Orono.

Most A-10 fans are pretty good folks. Despite the occassional smack talk, there's alot of respect for each others programs and players. Delaware fans, on the whole, are the best and most knowledgeable. I never miss a trip to Newark and love having them in Williamsburg. You Grizzlies seem like a pretty good crew too. Hope we get to play you some time.

bluehenbillk
May 27th, 2005, 08:49 AM
I wish Maine all the luck in the world in this game. But I can say as a lifelong Huskers fan, the pressure has never been greater than Calahan has this year. Remember, these are people that think a 9-2 season is a disaster.

leatherneck177
May 27th, 2005, 08:58 AM
As much as I'd like to say that Maine can hang in there with Nebraska, WIU was killed last year 56-17. I know we didn't have a very competitive team, but it really takes something to hang in there. When we played at LSU in 2003, we were down 13-7 until late in the third quarter to the eventual national champs, and ended up losing 35-7. The depth and overall speed of these national powers is often just too much.

igo4uni
May 27th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Last year was the year to get Nebraska. Heck, they lost to Iowa State :D :D

The pressure for Callahan to win is almost impossible to comprehend. I grew up not too far from Omaha and I can tell you that the state of Nebraska is absolutely obsessed with Nebraska football. Frank Solich was run out of town for having a winning record and going to a bowl game. Nothing short of a national championship satisfies the rabid Husker fans. I have been to quite a few I-A stadiums (Iowa, Michigan, Iowa State, Nebraska). Lincoln is a tough place to go to play. The stadium is a sea of red and the fans are into the game.

I would like to see Maine pull the upset, but I'm afraid that's it's asking too much.

http://www.skylinepictures.com/Anderson_Nebraska_nu10_large.jpg
Lincoln's Memorial Stadium

peace

igo4uni

GannonFan
May 27th, 2005, 09:05 AM
I think Maine was fortunate last year to play Miss St early when they were still reeling from consecutive awful seasons and were still breaking in a new coach. They were certainly better by the Florida game later in the season but were awful early on. Maine will probably give Nebraska some fits, but Maine is also replacing their own top RB and top WR, so they will have some early season pains as well. I don't see Nebraska winning by 4 TD's (their offense isn't scary and their D had periods of awfulness last year) - I think Maine makes it close (between 10 and 20 points at the end) but do not win.

ChickenMan
May 27th, 2005, 09:20 AM
I have a feeling that this is the year that the Cornhuskers will start working their way back to the top... much like USC and Oklahoma did a few years ago. Football is too big in Nebraska for them to continue on as a middle of the pack program. I wish Maine all the lucky in the world... as I'm afraid they are going to need it. Nebraska... by at least four TDs.

bison95
May 27th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Nebraska Blows!!!

They have one of the worst Defensive Coordinators in all of football. He took a solid defense that played with passion under Palini and made them the softest in the big 12. Texas Tech put up 70 on these boys last year, and the starters are gone. Tommy Boy (Calahan) is trying to run an offense like he has Montana and Rice on the field and it just isn't gonna work.

As you can tell I am a husker hater(I did love them when they ran the fricking ball, and before Peterson arrived). It would give me no greater pleasure than on Sept 3rd to see the Black Bears embarass the Huskers. Personally, I don't think it will be a 4 TD game, it will be less than 1TD. Put your money on Mane boys, take the cash and run.

BBB
May 27th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Maine will make the Huskers EARN EVERYTHING they get but the numbers and quality of depth will be the telling story.

Nebraska by 18

89Hen
May 27th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Lord knows they've had plenty to say about your Bears. :nod:
:confused: :confused:

Tribe4SF
May 27th, 2005, 01:57 PM
:confused: :confused:

Just trying to stir things up for PapaBear. You know I love you guys! xsmoochx

McNeeserocket
May 27th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I think Maine has an opportunity to represent I-AA in positive way. In 2002, McNeese played Nebraska five or six games into the season. The game day experience was really outstanding. The Nebraska fans were by far the nicest fans ever to McNeese people. They stopped to talk to us and ask questions about our team and university.

McNeese had to fly out of Lake Charles two days early because of a hurricane that was about to hit Louisiana. As a result, we arrived on Wednesday (game was on Saturday) and the Nebraska administration were very thoughtful and helpful. They allowed McNeese to practice on one of their in-door practice fields (they have several) and also let McNeese players use their weight room (something that they had never offered any other team before). All their staff people were very friendly and gave McNeese fans private tours of their athletic facilities and even let us walk around on their new field while they answered questions and gave us a history of their program.

Nebraska fans gave our team a standing ovation at the end of the game (something their fans do for opposing teams). We lost the game 38 to 14 but we felt we played very well. The "Sea of Red" fans has to be seen as no words or pictures can describe it. Their balloon release is also a treat to see. Have fun and play well. Take a lot of pictures to remember this wonderful experience.

mainejeff
May 27th, 2005, 02:39 PM
I'm hoping that Maine catches Nebraska before they start developing into what I feel will be a bowl bound team. The intimidation factor WILL play a part (unlike MSU) as Husker fans will be really pumped for the upcoming season after Calahan's tremendous recruiting effort in February.

I don't think that it will be very close or that Maine will score that much......still the Maine D may hold their offense down in the 1st half before the buzzsaw hits in the 2nd half.......

Nebraska 45 Maine 10

PapaBear
May 27th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Just trying to stir things up for PapaBear. You know I love you guys! xsmoochx

Too many ties to UDel to get too pissed at them. Got family and friends going back to Tubby all the way up to the present.

I'll hold the hens near to my heart except on 10/29/05, when I'll hold them closer to a different ... uhhh ... organ.

UMgrizzlies
May 31st, 2005, 04:41 PM
Welcome aboard, PapaBear! I'd recommend you say something negative about Delaware to get your feet wet. Lord knows they've had plenty to say about your Bears. :nod:

Thanks for the advice! As my parents both went to W&M, I will happily remind UD of the 21 point lead they blew in the 4th quarter. As for Maine, I'm a believer after last year's upset. Maine can at least keep pace with the lackluster 'huskers.

MR. CHICKEN
May 31st, 2005, 08:10 PM
WE ARE NOT TALKIN' MAINE vs DUKE...(WHERE DUKE WOULD WIN 21-20).....WE'RE TALKIN'.........NEBRASKA!.................54-7...................BRAWK!

GO BIG RED......................xcoffeex........A-10.GPI/won't.help.
dis.time!!

MaineFan
May 31st, 2005, 09:06 PM
i heard that nebraska should be quite good this year. I hope maine does it,but its not likely to happen...if they can stay with 20-30 i would consider it a moral win,but i agree with many posters...maine wont be afraid...they are a veteran team and have played in some very tough stadiums the last couple years...certainlly a good way to start the year and see what we need to work on...the game will only benefit us when the a-10 schedule begins.