PDA

View Full Version : Playoff field

FanofFCS
August 24th, 2012, 10:57 AM
This might be the season's first playoff field projection - on Sports Network site:

E. Washington at Northern Iowa winner to play #1 Montana State
Stony Brook at North Dakota State
E. Kentucky at #5 Old Dominion
Duquesne at Towson winner to play #4 Georgia Southern
Wofford at Jacksonville State winner at #3 James Madison
New Hampshire at App State
Youngstown State at Montana
Lehigh at Bethune-Cookman winner at #2 Sam Houston State

Twentysix
August 24th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Aren't there 8 seeds???

That isn't even enough teams.

I was under the impression the playoffs were expanded for this season.

darell1976
August 24th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Aren't there 8 seeds???

That isn't even enough teams.

I was under the impression the playoffs were expanded for this season.

I was thinking the same thing. Just found it...its 2013 season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/08/16/fcs-playoffs.ap/index.html

The Pioneer League champion will join 10 other conference winners as automatic qualifiers for the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs, beginning in 2013.

The move is part of a plan, approved by the NCAA Division I Championships/Sport Management Cabinet this month, expanding the playoffs from 20 to 24 teams.

The top eight teams will be seeded, receive first-round byes and host second-round games. The 16 other teams will bid to host first-round games.

Dane96
August 24th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I thought ODU was ineligible for the playoffs like UMASS was last year.

RichH2
August 24th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I have same Q anout ODU.

blueballs
August 24th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I'd make one major correction:

After Chattanooga goes undefeated and gives up zero points combined to all their opponents through the 11 game season, the NCAA will decide in an emergency meeting to declare them champions by fiat and give them an unprecendented bid to the BCS title game.

The FCS tournament will then be renamed the "Football Consolation Shootout (FCS)" in deference to UTC's incredible record setting dominance.

ASUMountaineer
August 24th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I'd make one major correction:

After Chattanooga goes undefeated and gives up zero points combined to all their opponents through the 11 game season, the NCAA will decide in an emergency meeting to declare them champions by fiat and give them an unprecendented bid to the BCS title game.

The FCS tournament will then be renamed the "Football Consolation Shootout (FCS)" in deference to UTC's incredible record setting dominance.

That's a smart correction...no doubt all other FCS teams are playing second fiddle.

danefan
August 24th, 2012, 12:15 PM
1. Expansion to 24 does not happen until 2013.
2. ODU is eligible for an at-large this year, but not the CAA AQ (big whoop). UMass chose to handle their transition differently and increased scholarships faster than ODU.

asu3peat
August 24th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I thought only 25% of the field had to be seeded. When it was 16 there were only 4 seeds and when it jumped to 20, 5 teams were seeded. With another increase to 24 in 2013, it seems only 6 teams will be seeded.

danefan
August 24th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I thought only 25% of the field had to be seeded. When it was 16 there were only 4 seeds and when it jumped to 20, 5 teams were seeded. With another increase to 24 in 2013, it seems only 6 teams will be seeded.

A minimum 25% of the has to be seeded.

The NCAA has decided to 8 instead though.

Professor Chaos
August 24th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Unless Sam Houston wins one of their FBS games it's going to be hard for them to justify a #2 seed. Even if they go 9-2 who are their big wins over that would justify them over a CAA, MVFC, and SOCON champ that beat other playoff teams throughout the season? They didn't project another SLC team in the field so you're looking at a pretty weak resume for a #2 seed.

I also find it hard to believe that there won't be any seeded MVFC teams but that's probably personal bias more than anything else.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Unless Sam Houston wins one of their FBS games it's going to be hard for them to justify a #2 seed. Even if they go 9-2 who are their big wins over that would justify them over a CAA, MVFC, and SOCON champ that beat other playoff teams throughout the season? They didn't project another SLC team in the field so you're looking at a pretty weak resume for a #2 seed.

I also find it hard to believe that there won't be any seeded MVFC teams but that's probably personal bias more than anything else.

I thought the same thing. They have 1-5 with no MVFC, that's a stretch.

NHwildEcat
August 24th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I don't see how UNH can be on the road? We are undefeated!

Sammy94
August 24th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Unless Sam Houston wins one of their FBS games it's going to be hard for them to justify a #2 seed.

I agree with this. I think Sam will be on the road come playoff time, they will be use to it by then.

katstrapper
August 24th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I agree with this. I think Sam will be on the road come playoff time, they will be use to it by then.

That is what everyone is hoping

ODUsmitty
August 24th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Until you Yankee bastards come to Norfolk.................

Bam
August 24th, 2012, 11:20 PM
EKU will get another home PO game!!!

Twentysix
August 25th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Posted from the future.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/315036_10151115177767822_107277457_n.jpg

SHSU's 2012 season in review.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 25th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Posted from the future.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/315036_10151115177767822_107277457_n.jpg

SHSU's 2012 season in review.

I've been looking for a new Facebook cover photo. That's perfect.

blackfordpu
August 25th, 2012, 10:07 AM

How much do you penalize two lossed to FBS teams, especially if they are close games? IF the Kats go undefeated in FCS play I still think they get a top three seed.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 25th, 2012, 10:24 AM
How much do you penalize two lossed to FBS teams, especially if they are close games? IF the Kats go undefeated in FCS play I still think they get a top three seed.

Blame your AD. 2 FBS teams and a non-counter are tough especially in a mid level conference. Sam got a high seed last year because they were the only undefeated team, that won't happen this year. PC's rationale is correct. CAA, MVFC, BSC, and SoCon will wrap up the top seeds more than likely. Sam had a pretty magical season last year but the SLC is not considered tough by any stretch.

Professor Chaos
August 25th, 2012, 10:41 AM
It's not that you're penalized for your lossses, it's that you won't have the wins to justify a #2 seed. It's impossible to say this will happen at this point but with their projectios UCA, SFA, and McNeese are all out of the playoffs so how does Sam Houston beating them justify a #2 seed over another conference champ that beat one or more playoff teams to get there?

It's the same debate we had last year about whether Sam Houston deserved the #1 seed but they had a win over an FBS and a win over playoff bound UCA then. Sam Houston's best chance at a top 3 seed, IMO, is if another team or two in the SLC really steps up and shows that they're a playoff quality team and SHSU beats them. But if Sam goes 9-2 and their best win comes over a 7-4 non-playoff SFA team I don't think they deserve a top 2 seed.

MTfan4life
August 25th, 2012, 11:17 AM
It's not that you're penalized for your lossses, it's that you won't have the wins to justify a #2 seed. It's impossible to say this will happen at this point but with their projectios UCA, SFA, and McNeese are all out of the playoffs so how does Sam Houston beating them justify a #2 seed over another conference champ that beat one or more playoff teams to get there?

It's the same debate we had last year about whether Sam Houston deserved the #1 seed but they had a win over an FBS and a win over playoff bound UCA then. Sam Houston's best chance at a top 3 seed, IMO, is if another team or two in the SLC really steps up and shows that they're a playoff quality team and SHSU beats them. But if Sam goes 9-2 and their best win comes over a 7-4 non-playoff SFA team I don't think they deserve a top 2 seed.

If they come into the playoffs undefeated against the FCS, I think being the defending FCS runner-up will give them a lot of say when it comes time for seeding selections. The committee seems to enjoy rewarding tradition, especially with a team returning so many of the same players.

With the conference discussion; it may be common on here to believe the only good conferences are the big 4, but the committee seems to be giving a lot of respect towards both the OVC and the Southland as of late. Although many on here believe Illinois State had the better resume, both Central Arkansas and Eastern Kentucky got in above them.

WileECoyote06
August 25th, 2012, 11:28 AM
If they come into the playoffs undefeated against the FCS, I think being the defending FCS runner-up will give them a lot of say when it comes time for seeding selections. The committee seems to enjoy rewarding tradition, especially with a team returning so many of the same players.

With the conference discussion; it may be common on here to believe the only good conferences are the big 4, but the committee seems to be giving a lot of respect towards both the OVC and the Southland as of late. Although many on here believe Illinois State had the better resume, both Central Arkansas and Eastern Kentucky got in above them.

I agree with this. In the case of EKU last year, they did the same thing they did with the two MEAC entrants in 2010; allow both conference champions to advance.

I don't think the committee relies as heavily on perceived conference strength; especially considering the final four teams in, as we do on this board. D2 has a pretty consistent formula for determining the regional rankings; and I've always wondered if the FCS committee has a similar rubric. The D2 formula puts heavy emphasis on current season performance eliminating conference bias.

WileECoyote06
August 25th, 2012, 11:32 AM
This might be the season's first playoff field projection - on Sports Network site:

E. Washington at Northern Iowa winner to play #1 Montana State
Stony Brook at North Dakota State
E. Kentucky at #5 Old Dominion
Duquesne at Towson winner to play #4 Georgia Southern
Wofford at Jacksonville State winner at #3 James Madison
New Hampshire at App State
Youngstown State at Montana
Lehigh at Bethune-Cookman winner at #2 Sam Houston State

Since Lehigh and Stony Brook are both in the first round, wouldn't they match up? They are only about three hours apart.

Twentysix
August 25th, 2012, 11:59 AM

That would make the KATS 8-2. I really doubt 8 wins gets a top 3 seed. Even if you don't penalize at all for your losses you only have 8 DI wins. There were four 9 win teams that weren't seeded last year, some of them had 8 DI wins. Maybe if some SLC team gets in the top 10 in the regular season and SHSU beats them to a pulp.