PDA

View Full Version : 25 worst non-conference football games of the year?

Sammy94
August 22nd, 2012, 03:36 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/top-25-worst-non-conference-college-football-games-173600348--ncaaf.html

cbarrier90
August 22nd, 2012, 03:53 PM
One quarter of the FCS teams mentioned are consistent FCS contenders. Hooray, national media respect!

Professor Chaos
August 22nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
#4 and #25 should be good bulletin board material for GSU and SHSU, respectively.

Go...gate
August 22nd, 2012, 04:37 PM
I'm thinking that Georgia Southern will give Georgia a hell of a game. Savannah State's budget will surely be balanced!

asumike83
August 22nd, 2012, 05:04 PM
I really don't see the point in writing an article like this if you know absolutely nothing about any of the FCS teams you're bashing. Savannah State should definitely hold the top two spots and several (JMU/WVU, Georgia Southern/UGA, SHSU/Texas A&M, Furman/Clemson, Wofford/South Carolina, UNI/Wisconsin) are nowhere near the 25 worst non-conference games of the season. Last time GA Southern and UGA played was in 2008, with UGA winning 45-21. Georgia Southern was a mediocre 6-5 team that year while UGA won 9 games. GA Southern is a top 5 FCS team this season. Clemson only escaped Wofford by a 35-27 final last season and Wofford gave South Carolina all they wanted in 2008, 23-13.

Not only is GA Southern/UGA not one of the worst non-conference games of the year, it isn't even Georgia's worst. They open up the season with Buffalo and play their third game against an FAU team who was 1-11 last year. I'd be willing to bet both will take worse beatings than the Eagles.

How about FAU at Alabama? UAB at South Carolina? Eastern Michigan at Michigan State? Idaho at LSU?

Man, never would have thought this guy isn't an incredibly informed sports journalist:
http://l.yimg.com/ck/user/A1187/1187571/150_1187571-0.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
August 22nd, 2012, 05:13 PM
10. James Madison at West Virginia, Sept. 15: James Madison won at Virginia Tech in 2010, but it doesn't mean that this matchup is worthy of not being on this list. West Virginia sandwiched this game between rivalry games against Marshall and Maryland.

This quote just makes me laugh and laugh. So, he's saying JMU won at Va Tech, thus establishing themselves as a dangerous team year in and year out, yet they are still "worthy of being on this list"? Who are you going to believe, me or this fact I lazily looked up on Wikipedia that supports the exact opposite thing I'm claiming?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 22nd, 2012, 05:14 PM
Man, never would have thought this guy isn't an incredibly informed sports journalist:

Soda spit all over keyboard and screen. Rep points!

Gringer1
August 22nd, 2012, 05:27 PM
Georgia Southern versus UGA is actually a pretty exciting game. We've been playing this series for a while and people always talk about it. There are tons of families with kids attending both schools, so there is a real sibling rivalry quality to it. Bottom line: this guy is a doofus.

bonarae
August 22nd, 2012, 05:31 PM
Some of the games shouldn't even be listed there, e.g. Sam Houston State / Texas A&M. But yes, Savannah State, Idaho State, Presbyterian should be all in the list.

TTUEagles
August 22nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
"Jacksonville State may be using this game to get ready for the FBS tournament." Say wha???

This author is just a jackass.

asumike83
August 22nd, 2012, 05:41 PM
Soda spit all over keyboard and screen. Rep points!

Thank you, thank you! The guy just made it too easy.

superman7515
August 22nd, 2012, 05:44 PM
Okay, so since this list was pretty much a joke, what are some of the worst non-conference FCS matchups (only FCS vs FCS games)? I'm gonna toss Delaware State vs VMI out as a contender for a spot in the Top 25.

asumike83
August 22nd, 2012, 05:49 PM
Okay, so since this list was pretty much a joke, what are some of the worst non-conference FCS matchups (only FCS vs FCS games)? I'm gonna toss Delaware State vs VMI out as a contender for a spot in the Top 25.

Morehead State vs. St. Francis

I'm assuming you meant just bad games overall, not in the same sense as the article where a highly ranked team is scheduling a cupcake.

SpiritCymbal
August 22nd, 2012, 05:54 PM
Edwin Alexander is a Florida State University alumnus and Seminole fan. He earned a Master of Business Administration in Marketing and Supply Chain Management from Florida State University in 2009.

And that's the game!!!!!!! Good night folks!

Twentysix
August 22nd, 2012, 06:29 PM
Wisconsin's first home game since winning the 2011 Big 10 championship comes against FCS opponent Northern Iowa. The schedule will get harder the next week for Wisconsin when it travels to Oregon State. I doubt this.

Cocky
August 22nd, 2012, 06:37 PM
#7 he just starts filling in FCS games as he finds them.

IaaScribe
August 22nd, 2012, 08:17 PM
This is from Yahoo's contributor network, not written by an actual journalist ... and yes, not well researched, considering he says JMU is playing at West Virginia (game is at FedEx Field) and Tennessee is traveling to N.C. State (game is at the Georgia Dome).

blackfordpu
August 22nd, 2012, 09:00 PM
I'm hoping the Kats can put up a fight against a battered a&m team.

mmiller_34
August 22nd, 2012, 09:38 PM
This guy is a classic fan who knows nothing outside of BCS football. Reading that article literally made me want to puke.

GeauxLions94
August 22nd, 2012, 09:57 PM
This guy is a classic fan who knows nothing outside of BCS football. Reading that article literally made me want to puke.

Puking? There's no puking over this .... you want to laugh at this clown as well as at Yahoo for letting this drivel get published.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 22nd, 2012, 10:59 PM

At some point, I'm going to make this my avatar on AGS. It's destiny.

Za-KEE-uS
August 22nd, 2012, 11:05 PM
Here's a challenge. Someone reorder this list of 25 based on margin of victory

coover
August 22nd, 2012, 11:11 PM
Gee, Cal Poly just gets no respect. We don't make any of the polls and now we don't even get listed as having a bad game on September 15 against Wyoming!

But then again, maybe this guy knows something nobody else seems to know? I'm sure Wyoming will go into the game as a 21 point favorite. The question, though, is what the spread will be after the game? Should we be giving Wyoming points instead of the other way around? I guess we'll know late in the PM 9-15.

Go Mustangs!

dgtw
August 23rd, 2012, 04:20 AM
I'd say Cal Poly getting ignored is more a comment on Wyoming than your team. I think this bozo just went down the list of the top teams in the FBS and looked to see what FCS teams they were playing.

Dukie95
August 23rd, 2012, 06:32 AM
Hmm..deadline's coming up and I don't have an article today. I guess I'll go down the list of top programs and see if they play any Division II schools.

List...done...article complete in just 5 minutes...almost missed my deadline because my stupid editor made me replace Division II with FCS..whatevs

katstrapper
August 23rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
#4 and #25 should be good bulletin board material for GSU and SHSU, respectively.

I agree with you 100%

[quote]5. Georgia Southern at Georgia Nov. 17: Between rivalry games against Auburn and Georgia Tech, Georgia will be taking it easy against Georgia Southern

25. Sam Houston State at Texas A&M, Nov. 17: Texas A&M left the Big 12 for the SEC and chose to put fellow Texas school Sam Houston State on the schedule. Sam Houston State is a FCS program that is just a way for Texas A&M to try to rack up a win after the difficult SEC schedule. [quote]

Two top 5 nationally ranked FCS teams and Yahoo is labelling them in two of the worst 25 matchups in the country? ha ha ha.... funny stuff.

If they want to talk about bad or boring matchups, why dont they go list games like Idaho vs Idaho St or any game that University of New Mexico plays?

bojeta
August 23rd, 2012, 01:59 PM
I remember one of these writers making the typical FCS bashing comments in 2006. Included in his rant was a show of complete disrespect for Cal Poly regarding their upcoming game with San Diego State. Prediction was a blowout score. Result was a Cal Poly win. So he learned, right? NO. Bashed Cal Poly again in 2008. Result, Cal Poly wins again. OK, 3rd times a charm. No, he bashes Cal Poly more than ever, predicting scores ranging from 55-0 to 76-0. Result, San Diego State actually wins this one with a team loaded with returning players from their Poinsettia Bowl Championship team and a Heisman candidate at Tailback. Still, Cal Poly gives them a good game, trailing at halftime by 3 or 4 points. Final score if I recall, 49-27. They pay NO attention to FCS during the year and have NO clue about the level of play.

Silenoz
August 23rd, 2012, 02:28 PM
What a dumbass. Maybe he should check the box score of the lat two Wofford-USC games

WeAreNorthDakota
August 23rd, 2012, 02:42 PM

It's not FCS vs FCS but UND plays the South Dakota School of Mines in the season opener. Mines won 1 game in the NAIA last year including a 70-0 laugher of a loss. The game's an absolute joke.

ccd494
August 23rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
Hmm..deadline's coming up and I don't have an article today. I guess I'll go down the list of top programs and see if they play any Division II schools.

List...done...article complete in just 5 minutes...almost missed my deadline because my stupid editor made me replace Division II with FCS..whatevs

What editor? The "Yahoo Contributor Network" is no different than Bleacher Report. Anyone who wants to can have a "column" there. You guys have given way too much attention to a dude whose only credentials for writing on Yahoo are having an email address and a keyboard.

The word "journalist" belongs nowhere near either Bleacher Report or the Yahoo Contributor Network. It demeans the work of people who have worked hard at their profession, gone to school for it, applied for jobs, done research and interviews, etc. It's like me calling myself a brain surgeon and opening a clinic. Sure, I'm woefully underqualified, but look at that logo with a red cross on it!

WeAreNorthDakota
August 23rd, 2012, 10:18 PM
"PSU 42 Carroll 10 -- Carroll is a great program, but the difference between a powerhouse NAIA team and a decent FCS team is too large."

That's a quote from the Big Sky Predictions thread. A middle of the pack team from 1 division against a powerhouse from a lower division. I think we're all guilty of seeing a team on the schedule from a lower division and assuming a cake walk. Colorado State fans and Texas A&M fans and people who only care about FBS teams aren't gonna look twice at NDSU and Sam Houston State because they're FCS teams. Those of us that know a thing or two about FCS football know both of those "little guys" have a pretty good shot at a win. I would imagine Carroll fans think they've got a pretty good shot at a win but most of us won't bother to look twice at their record from last year, returning players, or past record against FCS teams. How are we any better than FBS fans or writers?

Being a UND fan I've been on both sides of this. We "played up" against UNI and won but also "played down" and lost to Sioux Falls. The year we beat UNI we were an exceptional D2 team. The Sioux Falls team that won in the Alerus was an exceptional NAIA team that won their 21st straight game that day. I'm fairly new to FCS football and this board but I've seen some talk of Montana State losing to Chadron State a few years back but now MSU fans assume they'll walk all over Chadron just like they probably thought they would last time. If I were a Chadron fan I'd feel pretty slighted and disrespected. When App St gets their rematch against Michigan they'll likely go into the game as a big underdog and likely won't get a ton of respect from the national media. App St fans will deservedly feel slighted and disrespected.

Let's not be hypocrits people.

MSUBobcat
August 23rd, 2012, 11:47 PM
"PSU 42 Carroll 10 -- Carroll is a great program, but the difference between a powerhouse NAIA team and a decent FCS team is too large."

That's a quote from the Big Sky Predictions thread. A middle of the pack team from 1 division against a powerhouse from a lower division. I think we're all guilty of seeing a team on the schedule from a lower division and assuming a cake walk. Colorado State fans and Texas A&M fans and people who only care about FBS teams aren't gonna look twice at NDSU and Sam Houston State because they're FCS teams. Those of us that know a thing or two about FCS football know both of those "little guys" have a pretty good shot at a win. I would imagine Carroll fans think they've got a pretty good shot at a win but most of us won't bother to look twice at their record from last year, returning players, or past record against FCS teams. How are we any better than FBS fans or writers?

Being a UND fan I've been on both sides of this. We "played up" against UNI and won but also "played down" and lost to Sioux Falls. The year we beat UNI we were an exceptional D2 team. The Sioux Falls team that won in the Alerus was an exceptional NAIA team that won their 21st straight game that day. I'm fairly new to FCS football and this board but I've seen some talk of Montana State losing to Chadron State a few years back but now MSU fans assume they'll walk all over Chadron just like they probably thought they would last time. If I were a Chadron fan I'd feel pretty slighted and disrespected. When App St gets their rematch against Michigan they'll likely go into the game as a big underdog and likely won't get a ton of respect from the national media. App St fans will deservedly feel slighted and disrespected.

Let's not be hypocrits people.

At least give me credit if you are going to quote me. I didn't say, "oooh NAIA v FCS" and don't feel hypocritical for that in the least. Christ, Carroll is from my state so I'm fully aware of what they can/have done, and Montanans are proud of the school. As good as they are, NAIA to FCS (skipping D-II) is a big jump, 24 scholarships to 63, I believe, but someone can fill me in I'm sure. Barely fielding a team of scholarship players on both sides of the ball playing a team with 1st and 2nd team scholarship awardees on both sides of the ball should wear out the other team (not even accounting for the recruiting abilities of a FCS v. NAIA). MSU did lose to Chadron, and though they had the Harlon Hill winner (2x) and went undefeated until they lost to the #2 team in D-II, myself and all other Bobcat fans were, um, disgruntled to say the least. Upsets happen but the likelihood is increasingly diminished as you go down the food chain, not up, in my opinion, i.e. NAIA over FCS> DII over FCS> FCS over FBS. xtwocentsx

FurmanWins!!
August 23rd, 2012, 11:51 PM
Furman will DOMINATE clempscum this year.

WeAreNorthDakota
August 24th, 2012, 12:37 PM
At least give me credit if you are going to quote me. I didn't say, "oooh NAIA v FCS" and don't feel hypocritical for that in the least. Christ, Carroll is from my state so I'm fully aware of what they can/have done, and Montanans are proud of the school. As good as they are, NAIA to FCS (skipping D-II) is a big jump, 24 scholarships to 63, I believe, but someone can fill me in I'm sure. Barely fielding a team of scholarship players on both sides of the ball playing a team with 1st and 2nd team scholarship awardees on both sides of the ball should wear out the other team (not even accounting for the recruiting abilities of a FCS v. NAIA). MSU did lose to Chadron, and though they had the Harlon Hill winner (2x) and went undefeated until they lost to the #2 team in D-II, myself and all other Bobcat fans were, um, disgruntled to say the least. Upsets happen but the likelihood is increasingly diminished as you go down the food chain, not up, in my opinion, i.e. NAIA over FCS> DII over FCS> FCS over FBS. xtwocentsx

No, you just said it in nicer words. If a Carroll fan came on this site looking for some insight into their upcoming game they would see that site and wonder why you predict a 4 score drubbing even though you acknowledge they are a NAIA powerhouse. NAIA and D2 teams beat FCS teams fairly often but we write them off and assume we'll dominate next time just like FBS fans do to us.

AmsterBison
August 24th, 2012, 01:31 PM
No, you just said it in nicer words. If a Carroll fan came on this site looking for some insight into their upcoming game they would see that site and wonder why you predict a 4 score drubbing even though you acknowledge they are a NAIA powerhouse. NAIA and D2 teams beat FCS teams fairly often but we write them off and assume we'll dominate next time just like FBS fans do to us.

NAIA teams beat FCS teams fairly often?

Non-scholarship FCS teams maybe.

Scholarship FCS teams? Not so much, in the last five years: UND in 2009 you know, Savannah State (2007) Arkansas-Pine Bluff (2011), Northern Colorado (2011), and Georgia State (2010, 2011.) Those teams weren't exactly the cream of the FCS in the years they lost to NAIA teams.

I remember NDSU playing Montana Tech and the folks around me were worried that an Oredigger might get killed. A couple weeks later they lost by 3 to the eventual NAIA champion, Carroll College.

That being said, I'd be wary of Carroll College because they are an elite program - and I don't care what level of college football you're talking about, those programs can overcome fairly big talent disadvantages.

asumike83
August 24th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I know it's not a loss but didn't Montana need a last-second FG to beat a DII school a few years ago?

AmsterBison
August 24th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I know it's not a loss but didn't Montana need a last-second FG to beat a DII school a few years ago?

I think so. Central Washington? And UND beat UNI when in D2.

Wouldn't want to play the top teams in D2. First, they don't count. Second, they can be very tough.

asumike83
August 24th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I think so. Central Washington? And UND beat UNI when in D2.

Wouldn't want to play the top teams in D2. First, they don't count. Second, they can be very tough.

Right you are! Just looked it up, it was 2008 and Montana beat Central Washington 38-35. The Grizz went 14-2 that year. Pretty impressive showing by Central Washington.

WeAreNorthDakota
August 24th, 2012, 04:00 PM
NAIA teams beat FCS teams fairly often?

Non-scholarship FCS teams maybe.

Scholarship FCS teams? Not so much, in the last five years: UND in 2009 you know, Savannah State (2007) Arkansas-Pine Bluff (2011), Northern Colorado (2011), and Georgia State (2010, 2011.) Those teams weren't exactly the cream of the FCS in the years they lost to NAIA teams.

I remember NDSU playing Montana Tech and the folks around me were worried that an Oredigger might get killed. A couple weeks later they lost by 3 to the eventual NAIA champion, Carroll College.

That being said, I'd be wary of Carroll College because they are an elite program - and I don't care what level of college football you're talking about, those programs can overcome fairly big talent disadvantages.

I was just lumping NAIA and D2 together because I didn't know the numbers for each. I know D2 teams win more often than NAIA teams but it still happens. My point is that really strong programs from lower divisions beat teams from higher divisions yet continue to get little to no respect from fans of the higher division teams. NAIA and D2 powerhouses put scares into even the best FCS programs just like FCS powerhouses put scares into FBS teams. I imagine Mount Union, despite being D3, has had some teams over the years that could give even the better D2 teams a great game.

TheRevSFA
August 24th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Northwest state almost lost to delta state last season, and UTSA got mcmurried by McMurry

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 24th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Here's a challenge. Someone reorder this list of 25 based on margin of victory

I'll bite (from biggest blowout to closest game):
1. Savanah St. @OKST
2. Western Carolina @Alabama
3. Savanah St. @FSU
4. Alabama A&M @Auburn
5. Florida A&M @Oklahoma
6. Murray St. @FSU
7. Idaho St. @Nebraska
8. GSU @Tennessee
9. Towson @LSU
10. Austin Peay@VT
11. Grambling St. @TCU
12. Missouri St. @Kansas St.
13. Tennessee Tech @Oregon
14. Jacksonville St. @Florida
15. JMU vs. WVU (neutral)
16. Missouri St. @Louisville
17. Jackson St. @Mississippi St.
18. Jacksonville St. @Arkansas
19. Presbyterian @Vanderbilt
20. Furman @Clemson
21. Samford @Kentucky
22. Gerogia Southern @Georgia
23. UNI @Wisconsin
24. Wofford @South Carolina
25. Sam Houston St. @Texas A&M

Mr. C
August 24th, 2012, 04:54 PM
One quarter of the FCS teams mentioned are consistent FCS contenders. Hooray, national media respect!

Just typically dumb reporting.

Mr. C
August 24th, 2012, 04:59 PM
At some point, I'm going to make this my avatar on AGS. It's destiny.

Better be careful with that, or people will think that guy is you.