PDA

View Full Version : Unkowns players on your team who are set to have a breakout season?

BisonBacker
August 21st, 2012, 10:26 AM
Every year each team seems to have a player come out of nowhere to have a great season. Transfers, redshirt freshman, or backups who just get a chance to shine. Who on your team are you expecting to have a breakout season?

I'll start this one with NDSU. We have a player who hasn't had his chances yet but will this year. #23 John Crockett. I think he's got a chance to raise a lot of eyebrows and set his place in Bison fans discussions as a Wow factor player!

GlassOnion
August 21st, 2012, 10:36 AM
For App State, IMO

Sean Price 6'5 210 WR - Faster than Brian Quick, has made some incredible catches already.
Doug Middleton 6'1 205 CB - Biggest ASU CB in quite awhile, but will likely move around, return kicks and so on. Great combination speed/size.
Ron Blair 6'4 271 DE - Started 2011 as a true freshman, now has an offseason under his belt.

blueballs
August 21st, 2012, 10:54 AM
Ezayi Youyoute

asumike83
August 21st, 2012, 10:58 AM
As GO said, WR Sean Price. SoCon fans will know his name soon enough. He is only a redshirt freshman and I'm sure there will be an adjustment period but he is incredibly talented.

GlassOnion
August 21st, 2012, 11:08 AM
Ezayi Youyoute

Bless you.

moosbah
August 21st, 2012, 11:14 AM
Every year each team seems to have a player come out of nowhere to have a great season. Transfers, redshirt freshman, or backups who just get a chance to shine. Who on your team are you expecting to have a breakout season?

I'll start this one with NDSU. We have a player who hasn't had his chances yet but will this year. #23 John Crockett. I think he's got a chance to raise a lot of eyebrows and set his place in Bison fans discussions as a Wow factor player!

I'll go with our recent position change player Esley Thornton (from QB to DB). He's got very good ball hawking skills and his talent will demand he gets on the field. Big hits and plays from him coming soooooooooooooon.

Sammy94
August 21st, 2012, 11:22 AM
Since the passing game will be part of the new offense, I'll go with WR- Trey Diller for the Kats breakout player.

lionsrking2
August 21st, 2012, 11:50 AM
Southeastern Louisiana has several candidates, especially on offense, where we have to replace three guys who caught 60+ balls a piece last fall:

Nathan Stanley, QB, 6-5, 220, Sr. -- Ole Miss transfer in 2011 ... struggled to catch up with the system when he came in last summer ... has really taken off since the coaching change and appears to have beaten out returning starter, Brian Young ... has NFL size and arm ... fits our new pro-style system well.

Tony McCrea, WR, 5-9, 185, Jr. -- Sat out last year due to academics ... can fly! Having a great camp.

Brandon Snell, WR, 5-11, 180, Fr -- Originally signed with Louisville back in February out of Carol City HS in Miami, Fl ... very polished for a true freshman ... runs great routes and catches everything ... having a great camp ... we were very fortunate to get him.

Stanley Moore, WR, 6-3, 180, So. -- Tall & rangy with good speed and leaping ability ... potential big-play threat.

Kaleb Muse, LB, 6-0, 250, So. -- One of the strongest guys on the team ... great instincts for position ... punishing tackler.

Cqulin Hubert, LB, 6-1, 250, Jr. -- Texas Tech transfer, started 6 games as a soph for Red Raiders ... big hitter with very good pass-rush skills ... fits well in our new 3-3-5 scheme.

Devan Walker, LB, 6-3, 245, Sr. -- Ordinarily wouldn't qualify for this list, but has moved from DE to outside LB which should take better advantage of his athleticism and pass rush skills ... drawing NFL interest.

SportsLover
August 21st, 2012, 12:25 PM
I'll go with our recent position change player Esley Thornton (from QB to DB). He's got very good ball hawking skills and his talent will demand he gets on the field. Big hits and plays from him coming soooooooooooooon.

Are you kidding me!? He isnt going to see the field until halfways through the season. And those minutes will be small.

Maybe try again when this thread comes up again next off season.

Professor Chaos
August 21st, 2012, 12:55 PM
Are you kidding me!? He isnt going to see the field until halfways through the season. And those minutes will be small.

Maybe try again when this thread comes up again next off season.
He's listed as the backup strongside LB on the two-deep depth chart that came out today. Bohl was just on 740 TheFAN and said he'd get some time the first game against Robert Morris. How much and in what type of game situation is yet to be seen.

I agree it's a stretch to expect Thorton to come in do anything extraordinary this year but it sounds like he'll see the field plenty this year.

jmufan999
August 21st, 2012, 01:13 PM
HB Jordan Anderson*if Daequan (probably spelled wrong) Scott gets hurt, Anderson is a beast. had 200+ yards against Maine, a playoff team. I've said many times that I think he's a slightly better RB. RB is by far JMU's deepest position, which is great for a running team. We go 4 deep at that position, deepest I've ever seen.

QB Michael Birdsong
If Thorpe gets injured/suspended, this true freshman has wowed coaches in practice so far. The talk is that he could very well end up as the #2 QB, over Vandy transfer Lafonte Thoroughgood. Big, strong kid with a rocket arm. Different player than Thorpe, but we don't run as much spread option as people think, anyway. Evidently he's pretty mobile as well, but I want to see that with my own eyes.

"Breakout players" usually means offensive skill position guys, which is why I chose those two. Safety / LB hybrid Titus Till and DT Jordan Stanton should have very good seasons as well.

SU DOG
August 21st, 2012, 01:33 PM
Two for Samford that have been the surprise of fall camp are:

James Bradberry RsFr. CB 6-1, 198lbs. Transferred from Arkansas state. Was Alabama HS first team All-State, and a 2** recruit by both Rivals and Scout. Lock-down defender with good size and speed. Has looked phenomenal so far and has earned a starting spot for the Dogs.

Tony Philpot Fr. H-Back 6-2 255lbs. This guy is a chiseled 255 and delivers bone-jarring blocks, yet is a very good receiver out of the backfield. Scout comments include.... "surprising athleticism....could be a steal for a team." Philpot is probably the only true Fr. starting at ANY position on an experienced Samford squad.

SportsLover
August 21st, 2012, 01:55 PM
He's listed as the backup strongside LB on the two-deep depth chart that came out today. Bohl was just on 740 TheFAN and said he'd get some time the first game against Robert Morris. How much and in what type of game situation is yet to be seen.

I agree it's a stretch to expect Thorton to come in do anything extraordinary this year but it sounds like he'll see the field plenty this year.

Well of course he will get mop up duty vs Robert Morris and Prairie View but I think the only way he sees real playing time is if we have multiple injuries. It takes time to learn a whole new playbook and understand your duties. Esley is a great athlete but its going to take time for him to work his way into the defense.

Houndawg
August 21st, 2012, 01:59 PM
WR David Lewis, 6-3, 225.

ST_Lawson
August 21st, 2012, 02:08 PM
For Western Illinois, my guess will have to be:
Nikko Watson - RB, 6'0", 240lbs
High School - First Team All-State (IL), Quad City Metro Player of the Year
2011 - Redshirt freshman until the final four games when he was sent out on the field due to injuries at RB. With no college playing time and minimal practice time, averaged 121 rushing yards per game with three TDs including 106 yards against the insanely fast North Dakota State defense.
Reminds me of a slightly larger and stronger Herb Donaldson (2008 Payton Award Finalist and current Tennessee Titan RB)

BisonBacker
August 21st, 2012, 02:16 PM
For Western Illinois, my guess will have to be:
Nikko Watson - RB, 6'0", 240lbs
High School - First Team All-State (IL), Quad City Metro Player of the Year
2011 - Redshirt freshman until the final four games when he was sent out on the field due to injuries at RB. With no college playing time and minimal practice time, averaged 121 rushing yards per game with three TDs including 106 yards against the insanely fast North Dakota State defense.
Reminds me of a slightly larger and stronger Herb Donaldson (2008 Payton Award Finalist and current Tennessee Titan RB)

I'm going to say he doesn't qualify as an unknown since he has already had playing time from last year. I agree I think he's going to make his mark but he's not an unknown to fans of Western or the MVFC.

cbarrier90
August 21st, 2012, 02:49 PM
Ricky Fergerson, walk-on RB

813Jag
August 21st, 2012, 03:12 PM
For Southern:
FS Levi Jackson and DT Benay Pryer

Silenoz
August 21st, 2012, 03:47 PM
http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/henderson_ellis00.html
http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/haynes_sean00.html
http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/holmes_tyrone00.html

SDFS
August 21st, 2012, 03:54 PM

Is that the kid several Big Ten teams looked at but backed off when they knew they could not get him into school... he sounded like a good kid but he just did not have the grades or test scores.

PaladinFan
August 21st, 2012, 04:22 PM
For Furman, I anticipate quarterback Dakota Derrick could have a break out season.

Derrick is a redshirt senior who was in the conversation to be the starting quarterback last season. I think he has the potential for a great year because Furman's system under Bruce Fowler is so much less contingent on quarterback play than Bobby Lamb's. A few years ago Furman's win loss record was directly tied to quarterback play. Under the current regime, the Paladin quarterback is much more of a game manager and required to make easier throws off the running game.

Derrick has registered playing time in 12 Furman games the past few season, and has thrown for over 300 yards and rushed for over 250. So, he's not a complete novice out there and has a little speed to keep the defense honest.

Let me put it this way, if Furman is going to improve off last year's showing, they will need a good year from Derrick.

bisonboone11
August 21st, 2012, 04:32 PM
Is that the kid several Big Ten teams looked at but backed off when they knew they could not get him into school... he sounded like a good kid but he just did not have the grades or test scores.Yeah, that's the kid. I'm glad NDSU gave him the chance to get eligible. It sounds like he is pretty grateful too.

Snowgoose
August 21st, 2012, 04:34 PM
Is that the kid several Big Ten teams looked at but backed off when they knew they could not get him into school... he sounded like a good kid but he just did not have the grades or test scores.

Yes, apparently John Crockett was recruited by almost every Big Ten school except Northwestern and did not make the grades. Came to NDSU and for two years worked on his grades. The comments from practice have basically been "wow". So we are all waiting anxiously to see what happens.

SDFS
August 21st, 2012, 04:37 PM
Yeah, that's the kid. I'm glad NDSU gave him the chance to get eligible. It sounds like he is pretty grateful too.

I only watched him once, I think it was the Minnesota State Playoff game. Man amoung boys - watch out MVFC..

Mattymc727
August 21st, 2012, 04:55 PM
For UNH.... Nico Steriti

BisonBacker
August 21st, 2012, 04:58 PM

I see others have already answered this. But the last comment basically explains why I said he's going to be our "Wow" factor player. I think he's going to be special.

R3TRO
August 21st, 2012, 05:08 PM
For UNH.... Nico Steriti

+1 for Nico and I will add Jimmy Owens and Harold Spears.

UNHFootballAlum
August 21st, 2012, 06:59 PM
For UNH.... Nico Steriti

And RB Jimmy Owens

frozennorth
August 21st, 2012, 08:12 PM
for NDSU: Zach Vraa (wr), the aforementioned crocket, and DT Leevon Perry are the ones that stick out.

AmsterBison
August 21st, 2012, 09:40 PM
Nikko Watson ran the ball 7 times in a row against NDSU on the same drive... the guy is a load.

cannonballgsu
August 21st, 2012, 09:57 PM
Bless you.

I LOL'd.

GSUwinsagain
August 21st, 2012, 10:35 PM
J.J. Wilcox- Senior, He has been a starting WR under pass offense and slotback in the option, but a move to safety has really let him shine. At 6-0 -215, he can really deliver a hit and has great hands and speed.
All American ability.

GlassOnion
August 21st, 2012, 10:41 PM
I LOL'd.

Oh good! Took you awhile, I was worried I offended you lol!

Hey is the Flightline down today?

Big Dawg
August 22nd, 2012, 03:31 AM
James Owens...RB FAMU...may be the fastest guy in all of FCS. He runs a 4.3 40 yard dash and a years ago, he showed some flashes as a freshman against the University of Miami. He was ruled ineligible right before the 2011 season began, but in the fall Orange & Green scrimmage, he had a breakout day. He's also very dangerous on special teams. He's not the starting RB going into the season as Eddie Rocker has the job based on game experience, but Owens will get his carries.

Also, look out for Damien Fleming...FAMU QB. He had somewhat of a breakout season last year as he took the starting job after leading FAMU to a remarkable comeback victory in the Atlanta Classic last year. He followed performance up with a remarkable game against South Carolina State by dismantling SCSU's defense and leading the Rattlers to their first victory over SCSU in 8 meetings. This year he enters the season as the starter, and could be one of the best QB's in the nation.

Tribe4SF
August 22nd, 2012, 03:56 AM
Just going with guys who have not yet seen the field.

rFr. CB Deandre Houston-Carson 6'1" 190

So. CB Frank Tamakloe 6'3" 194 (transfer from Wisconsin)

rFr. RB Mikal Abdul-Saboor 5'11" 215

rFr. LB Luke Rhodes 6'2" 230

rFr. WR Zack Fetters 6'3" 210

Fr. DT Tyler Claytor 6'3" 275

Fr. WR Kevin Hart 6'1" 190

cannonballgsu
August 22nd, 2012, 07:17 AM
Oh good! Took you awhile, I was worried I offended you lol!

Hey is the Flightline down today?

Whole forum is down, possibly until Friday. Apparently there was some malware that got into our system. E22 had planned some updates for the forum anyway, so I think he just moved them up to do it all at the same time. I could be wrong, but that is my assumption.

Milktruck74
August 22nd, 2012, 08:13 AM
Can't commit to a banner year, but I am excited to watch

WR Ron Moore Jr. Last season he played in 6 games and was thrown to about as many times. he had 3 catches for 147 yards and 2 TDs. I'm excited to see what he can do when the QBs have some confidence in him.

RB Keon Williams. He had a fair Freshman year, but due to his off the field problems in the off season, Huesman kicked him off the team last year. Now he is back and better than ever, he will be a fun back to watch. If he gets his touches, he should be right there in the hunt for post season honors.

BisonBacker
August 22nd, 2012, 08:27 AM
for NDSU: Zach Vraa (wr), the aforementioned crocket, and DT Leevon Perry are the ones that stick out.
Vraa and Perry are not unknowns. They have both already played and in Perry's case played a lot. I'm talking players who have yet to see the field.

GlassOnion
August 22nd, 2012, 08:38 AM
Whole forum is down, possibly until Friday. Apparently there was some malware that got into our system. E22 had planned some updates for the forum anyway, so I think he just moved them up to do it all at the same time. I could be wrong, but that is my assumption.

Well that sucks. At least it happened now and not during the season. I dont think there is much info coming out to talk about at this point anyways. Kinda wait and see till game week.

chattownmocs
August 22nd, 2012, 08:44 AM
I'm going to have to go with Jacob Huesman. Yeah people know he is on our roster but they have no idea what he can do. There is no daddy ball being played here. Jacob has been the best QB on our roster all spring and through camp.

GlassOnion
August 22nd, 2012, 09:09 AM
I'm going to have to go with Jacob Huesman. Yeah people know he is on our roster but they have no idea what he can do. There is no daddy ball being played here. Jacob has been the best QB on our roster all spring and through camp.

But! But, Robinson walked on water last year!

Did Jacob Huesman one up him and walk on air?

chattownmocs
August 22nd, 2012, 09:13 AM

I don't think I made the statement that Terrell Robinson wasn't or isn't good. I know he is good. That was kind of the point.

GlassOnion
August 22nd, 2012, 09:18 AM
I don't think I made the statement that Terrell Robinson wasn't or isn't good. I know he is good. That was kind of the point.

Congratulations then, Chatty is probably the first team in FCS history with two Walter Payton candidates at the same position. Its pretty special when you know for sure Chatty will win the NC with Robinson, and then you pick up an even better QB.

asumike83
August 22nd, 2012, 09:46 AM
Is Robinson no longer the starter?

813Jag
August 22nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
James Owens...RB FAMU...may be the fastest guy in all of FCS. He runs a 4.3 40 yard dash and a years ago, he showed some flashes as a freshman against the University of Miami. He was ruled ineligible right before the 2011 season began, but in the fall Orange & Green scrimmage, he had a breakout day. He's also very dangerous on special teams. He's not the starting RB gong into the season as Eddie Rocker has the job based on game experience, but Owens will get his carries.

Also, look out for Damien Fleming...FAMU QB. He had somewhat of a breakout season last year as he took the starting job after leading FAMU to a remarkable comeback victory in the Atlanta Classic last year. He followed performance up with a remarkable game against South Carolina State by dismantling SCSU's defense and leading the Rattlers to their first victory over SCSU in 8 meetings. This year he enters the season as the starter, and could be one of the best QB's in the nation.
Don't remind me. We're finally bringing some speed with us too.

chattownmocs
August 22nd, 2012, 09:49 AM
Is Robinson no longer the starter?

I don't think they have named one.

chattownmocs
August 22nd, 2012, 09:50 AM
Congratulations then, Chatty is probably the first team in FCS history with two Walter Payton candidates at the same position. Its pretty special when you know for sure Chatty will win the NC with Robinson, and then you pick up an even better QB.

Thank you. Wasn't Pressley on the same team as Armanti? Both were Payton candidates albeit in different years.

asumike83
August 22nd, 2012, 09:52 AM
Thank you. Wasn't Pressley on the same team as Armanti? Both were Payton candidates albeit in different years.

Touché...

PaladinFan
August 22nd, 2012, 09:59 AM

I imagine Huseman is just the more complete package. I realize Robinson had some good and bad games last year, but even in his good games I was not convinced he can make the throws UTC needs to elevate their program to the next level. Because I hate two quarterback systems, if Huseman is your guy, I'd stick Robinson at receiver. He's got some size and athletic ability.

skinny_uncle
August 22nd, 2012, 11:27 AM
WR David Lewis, 6-3, 225.

Mika'il McCall, RB, 6-0, 215 would be another option worth considering.
xnodx

GlassOnion
August 22nd, 2012, 01:42 PM
Touché...

Dang, I walked right into that one! LOL!

Point to Chattown!

JmuSkinsfan
August 22nd, 2012, 01:43 PM
Didn't take the time to read through the whole thread but if it hasn't been mentioned:

JMU: RB, Dejor Simmons (#5) ... rSo

JMU returns all 3 stud RBs from last year (rJr Dae'Quan Scott, rSo Juaun Lattney, rJr Jordan Anderson) ... but believe it or not, the 3-headed monster has competition from rSo Dejor Simmons who has been the favorite in summer camps and was a highly touted speedster coming into JMU a couple years ago ...

There is plenty of room for playmakers in JMU's running game, so don't be surprised if Simmons breaks out and has a big year alongside Scott and the others

chattownmocs
August 22nd, 2012, 02:09 PM
Dang, I walked right into that one! LOL!

Point to Chattown!

The match ended a long time ago. I won.

SpiritCymbal
August 22nd, 2012, 06:04 PM
Bless you.

Heh. That made me chuckle.

I agree with BB...Youyoute will (should, hopefully will be) an known player that fans will hear about.

mmiller_34
August 22nd, 2012, 09:43 PM
SDSU Freshman RB, Reggie Gandy

BlueHenSinfonian
August 22nd, 2012, 10:03 PM
Some that have stood out in practice at Delaware:

QB Trent Hurley (transfer from BGSU) - Seems to have locked up the starting QB position and is showing some great scrambling ability in practice, something the Hens haven't had in a while

DT Zach Kerr (transfer from Maryland) - Absolutely dominating the O-line during practice so far, could be even better than Shawn Johnson from the '03 team

LB Leon Jackson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jesStrsJcaM) (I always hear his name that way in my head) - Originally recruited as a RB, but since UD is so deep there he played special teams to great effect last year, and will likely start at LB this year due to injuries at that position, has been showing some great aptitude in camp.

Grizalltheway
August 22nd, 2012, 10:25 PM
The match ended a long time ago. I won.

I have no idea how one wins anything on a football message board, but you sure as hell haven't pulled it off.

Sader87
August 22nd, 2012, 10:42 PM
Does anyone not transfer onto the Delaware football team???

MR. CHICKEN
August 22nd, 2012, 10:57 PM

16633....SHOODN'T YA...BE WORRYIN'.....HOW TAYLOR SWIFT.......WILL BE...TRASHIN''.... DUH....KENNEDY COMPOUND....IN HER NEXT...ALBUM......xconfusedx....AWK!

underdawg
August 23rd, 2012, 08:08 AM
Another one for SIU Salukis: Adam Feunche, 6'7" 260 pound Tight End (RS-Frosh) who will back -up All-Conference TE, 6'3" 247 MyCole Pruitt.
Will get PT in red zone but has the talent to star after Pruitt graduates.

GlassOnion
August 23rd, 2012, 09:51 AM

The waterboy. He's a RS Soph. and was highly recruited out of HS by the Colorado School of Mines. He can carry 5 Gatorades in one hand, and Im talking about the fatties, not the skinny ones.

underdawg
August 23rd, 2012, 08:39 PM
Another FBS transfer who will probably start: 6'7" 280 pound University of Toledo OT Ethan Wirth just showed up this week and is already in the mix. Three star rivals OL.

GSUwinsagain
August 23rd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Seon Jones - RSF- fullback - 5'-8" 200 lbs. Buford HS - fast, shifty, in highschool he started ahead of Swope ( our starting FB last year ). He should be a great change of pace from the sledge hammer style of Swope to a Barry Sanders type runner. I am not saying he will be as good as Barry Sanders.

WeAreNorthDakota
August 23rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
For UND I'll go with Jameer Jackson. He's a redshirt freshman wide receiver who's 6'3" and 230 pounds. He'll be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart but should be a huge asset in the redzone and down around the goal line. I don't think there are many DBs in the FCS who are gonna beat him to a jump ball on the outside. I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the year he's 4th on the team in catches but 1st in TD catches.

skinny_uncle
August 23rd, 2012, 09:56 PM
Another one for SIU Salukis: Adam Feunche, 6'7" 260 pound Tight End (RS-Frosh) who will back -up All-Conference TE, 6'3" 247 MyCole Pruitt.
Will get PT in red zone but has the talent to star after Pruitt graduates.

Barring an injury to Pruitt (PLEASE!), it sounds like Fuenche's breakout is still a year away.

BluBengal07
August 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Tobias Singleton:
4-star WR/Return-man sophomore from Ole Miss(SEC). "...continues to settle in, both on offense and in special teams. He returned the first two kickoffs he fielded for touchdowns. It seemed almost effortless." will being about to show off more of his talents with Jackson State than Ole Miss.

Willie Bell:
sophomore DE. “He never stops running,”. he his already getting comparisons to our All-American DE Joseph LeBeau and former Tiger/current New Orleans Saint Donavan Robinson.

Darcy Williams:
Freshman K. Australian connection who we imported in at kicker. easily boom 55- to 60-yard punts regularity.

Cameron Loeffler:
Junior transfer DB/S. “He came up and laid the thump,” coach Rick Comegy said following JSU’s morning practice. “That’s what we saw in film. This guy can lay the thump.” he is a very physical guy and great eyes on the field.