PDA

View Full Version : TSN Big Sky Conference preview

darell1976
August 21st, 2012, 08:47 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_8_14_2012.htm

For UND:

7. NORTH DAKOTA (8-3 overall, 3-1 Great West)

COACH: Chris Mussman (23-20 in four seasons at North Dakota; 23-20 overall)

STARTERS RETURNING: 14 (9 offense/5 defense)

OFFENSIVE STAR: WR Greg Hardin, So. (43 receptions, 549 yards, 3 TD)

DEFENSIVE STAR: DE Ross Brenneman, Jr. (32 TT, 10 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 5 QBH, 1 FR, 1 FF)

OTHER KEY PLAYERS:
QB Braden Hanson, Sr. (North Carolina transfer)
QB Joey Bradley, Jr.
TB Jake Miller, Jr. (195 receptions, 942 yards, 13 TD)
TB Mitch Sutton, Sr. (76 carries, 290 yards)
FB Ethan Magstadt, Sr.
FB Zach Adler, R-Fr.
WR/KR R.J. McGill, Jr. (34 receptions, 433 yards, 1 TD)
WR Tyrhe Ivory, So.
WR Blair Townsend, Jr.
TE Seth Wisthoff, Sr.
LT Darren Deneui, Jr.
LG Joe Gleason, Jr.
C Ian McGurran, Sr.
RG Emmett Lynch, Sr.
RT Caleb Gillson, Jr.
DE Jay Nelson, Sr. (23 TT, 10.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 3 PBU, 6 QBH, 3 FF)
OG/C Shea Walker, So.
NT Devin Benjamin, Sr. (23 TT, 3 BK)
OLB Dominique Bennett, Jr.
OLB Cordero Finley, Jr.
OLB Damon Andrews, Jr. (24 TT, 3.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 4 PBU, 1 FR)
ILB Ben Peters, So.
ILB Garrison Goodman, Jr. (26 TT, 2 PBU)
CB Chavon Mackey, Jr. (23 TT, 4 PBU)
CB Darryl Brown, So. (30 TT, 2 INT, 4 PBU)
SS/PR Erik Mersereau, Sr. (29 TT, 1 INT, 2 PBU)
FS Baylee Carr, So.
PK Zeb Miller, Jr.
P Brett Cameron, Sr.

BIGGEST LOSS: LB Dan Hendrickson (75 TT, 7 TFL, 4 QBH, 1 FF)

OUTLOOK: An upgrade in the schedule and the extra travel from the far eastern end of the Big Sky will be taxing on North Dakota. But Mussman's squad has the most returning All-Great West honorees (11) and plays a sneaky good style in which its team is physical, runs the ball, plays a field-position game and wins games in the fourth quarter (UND won its last four games by 12 points last season). The Green and White rotate a lot of defensive players, almost like a hockey team working shifts. They have a 3-4 alignment and the strength is up front with DEs Brenneman and Nelson and NT Benjamin. QB Hanson, a big left- hander, has transferred in from North Carolina to run the offense for one season and has two exceptional offensive talents in RB Miller and WR Hardin, who was injured over the final three games last season. If you like a good block party, North Dakota tied for an FCS-high 10 kicks (six field goals, four extra points) last season. UND needs to have a strong September because the October portion of the schedule is quite difficult.

SCHEDULE

Aug. 30 - vs. South Dakota School of Mines
Sept. 8 - vs. Portland State
Sept. 15 - at San Diego State
Sept. 22 - at Sacramento State
Sept. 29 - vs. Cal Poly
Oct. 6 - at Eastern Washington
Oct. 13 - vs. Northern Arizona
Oct. 20 - vs. Montana
Oct. 27 - at Montana State
Nov. 3 - vs. Southern Utah
Nov. 17 - at Northern Colorado

coover
August 21st, 2012, 02:09 PM
What is this I hear? North Dakota is already practicing their defense against the Cal Poly offense? That game won't even take place until September 29. Evidently they are not worried about South Dakota School of Mines (8-30), Portland State (9-8), SAN DIEGO STATE (9-15), or Sacramento State (9-22), but they are worried about Cal Poly, a team that nobody expects to do anything!

UNDColorado
August 21st, 2012, 02:18 PM
What is this I hear? North Dakota is already practicing their defense against the Cal Poly offense? That game won't even take place until September 29. Evidently they are not worried about South Dakota School of Mines (8-30), Portland State (9-8), SAN DIEGO STATE (9-15), or Sacramento State (9-22), but they are worried about Cal Poly, a team that nobody expects to do anything!

Just a little extra prep for the team with the goofy offense ;)

slostang
August 21st, 2012, 03:51 PM
Just a little extra prep for the team with the goofy offense ;)
I am sure we will put in a few new goofy things just for UND. :)

coover
August 21st, 2012, 04:15 PM
I am sure we will put in a few new goofy things just for UND. :)I wonder if they are preparing for the play where the Left Tackle passes the ball to the QB?

darell1976
August 21st, 2012, 06:42 PM
I wonder if they are preparing for the play where the Left Tackle passes the ball to the QB?

Too much Varsity Blues.xnodx