PDA

View Full Version : UNI Picks Up USC Wide Reciever

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Not sure if this was well known or not. UNI is going to enjoy this one especially since he has two years left. It'll definitely help the Panthers and the Cap'N...
---------
Former USC wideout Lewis to play for Northern Iowa
July 12, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Former USC wide receiver Whitney Lewis is expected to enroll at Division I-AA Northern Iowa and play for the Panthers this season.

UNI spokesman Colin McDonough said Wednesday that Lewis has been working out in Cedar Falls and will be eligible to play immediately. Lewis has two years of eligibility remaining.

Lewis was one of the top players in Southern California's 2003 recruiting class, which included Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush, Tennessee Titans second-round pick LenDale White and current star receiver Steve Smith. Many recruiting publications had Lewis rated higher than Bush coming out of high school, but things never worked out for him at USC.

Lewis was shifted between receiver, tailback and fullback as a true freshman in 2003 and gained 38 total yards. He was redshirted in 2004 after being ruled academically ineligible.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9551534

nlwwln
July 12th, 2006, 08:31 PM
hope he gets it together at UNI, no question he has talent. im assuming he has a starting spot waiting for him.

igo4uni
July 12th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Very cool indeed!!

He and Sanders will be together for the next 2 years!!! Boing!!:D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool:

This is really going to help the offense (I know..........stating the obvious) xlolx xlolx

skinny_uncle
July 12th, 2006, 08:50 PM
So Sanders now has another target?
http://bestsmileys.com/fainting/1.gif

RadMann
July 12th, 2006, 08:51 PM
UD got a transfer from USC with 4 years of eligibility a few years ago and he turned out to be a great asset to the team.

Mountain Panther
July 12th, 2006, 08:58 PM
So Sanders now has another target?
http://bestsmileys.com/fainting/1.gif

Yep...and Sanders' ankle should be 100% so he can RUN if he can't find a target.

PantherMan
July 12th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Not often that a IAA gets a Mr. Football out of California... Granted, he's out of shape now, but he was rated higher coming out of high school than Reggie Bush, Lendale White, AND Steve Smith by a lot of sources! Hopefully this kid can get back into "game shape" and contribute right away this season! :D :hurray:

shakdaddy3
July 12th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Not often that a IAA gets a Mr. Football out of California... Granted, he's out of shape now, but he was rated higher coming out of high school than Reggie Bush, Lendale White, AND Steve Smith by a lot of sources! Hopefully this kid can get back into "game shape" and contribute right away this season! :D :hurray:

or in classroom shape :read:

PantherMan
July 12th, 2006, 11:54 PM

Eh...we'll at least have use of his skills for one season without the whole classroom thing...xlolx In all honesty though, I hope that he can be successful in the classroom, because I have to guess that USC has many more cupcake "jock classes" than UNI...:eyebrow:

WMTribe90
July 13th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Seriously, I imagine it takes serious effort to flunk out of a football factory like USC.

Ronbo
July 13th, 2006, 10:36 AM
I wonder sometimes if these big programs coddle their athletes. Do these guys even show up to classes or take tests at these schools. We have had a transfer Arizona DB already leave the program because he wasn't even showing up to classes and was flunking. Craig Chambers was in grade trouble after the spring quarter and the coaches had to get him into summer classes to get him caught up. It's a big wakeup call when they get to Montana. Here you are treated like other students and are expected to go to class, turn in assignments, and take tests.

douglasdmb
July 13th, 2006, 12:30 PM
We had a transfer CB from Michigan State in '04 and he went on to finish first-team All-Gateway that season...only to flunk out before '05 started.

Kinda fishy...:smiley_wi

DUPFLFan
July 13th, 2006, 01:26 PM
It has been a curiousity to me how Athletes who flunk out of one school, so quickly get a chance at another.

Wouldn't you think that the NCAA would make them get their grades up at a Juco first??

Or are these programs only looking for "Mercenaries"???

PantherMan
July 13th, 2006, 01:29 PM
It has been a curiousity to me how Athletes who flunk out of one school, so quickly get a chance at another.

Wouldn't you think that the NCAA would make them get their grades up at a Juco first??

Or are these programs only looking for "Mercenaries"???

You have a point. I wouldn't mind a few mercenaries that are as talented to Whitney Lewis each year though!;)

Cap'n Cat
July 13th, 2006, 02:12 PM
We had a transfer CB from Michigan State in '04 and he went on to finish first-team All-Gateway that season...only to flunk out before '05 started.

Kinda fishy...:smiley_wi

Crystal meth.

Cap'n Cat
July 13th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Coming from a guy who roots for ILSU, aka Joliet Junior College Graduate School.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:bawling: xlolx :bawling: xlolx :bawling: xlolx :bawling: xlolx :bawling: xlolx :bawling: xlolx :bawling: xlolx :bawling: xlolx

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

douglasdmb
July 13th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Crystal meth.

Good point. We do love our crystal meth here in SW Missouri. I wouldn't be surprised...:D

DUPFLFan
July 13th, 2006, 02:57 PM
You have a point. I wouldn't mind a few mercenaries that are as talented to Whitney Lewis each year though!;)

You are welcome to them... They couldn't get into Drake or any of the PFL schools - scholarship or not.:hurray: And they shouldn't get into UNI either without a stop at a JUCO...

Shows the priority of the "student-athlete".

Or is it "Athlete-student"?

PantherMan
July 13th, 2006, 03:03 PM
You are welcome to them... They couldn't get into Drake or any of the PFL schools - scholarship or not.:hurray: And they shouldn't get into UNI either without a stop at a JUCO...

Shows the priority of the "student-athlete".

Or is it "Athlete-student"?

No offense, but don't go thinking that Drake is anything all that special either... I agree with you on the priority thing, but don't start to think that Drake has ANYTHING on the state schools in Iowa... :nonono2:

DUPFLFan
July 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM
but don't start to think that Drake has ANYTHING on the state schools in Iowa... :nonono2:

According to the Princeton Review Entrance Stats
Drake
Average GPA: 3.66
Average ACT:26
Admissions Selectivity:88

Iowa
Average GPA: 3.56
Admissions Selectivity:82

Iowa State
Average GPA: 3.49
Admissions Selectivity:82

Northern Iowa
Average ACT: 23
Admissions Selectivity:73

SO ILLmatic
July 13th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I take offense of him being able to come to UNI straight from USC....

just based on the fact that he will prolly make our secondary look more ridiculous than they already are. but hey at least we got one thing on our side going into the game; that being the game in carbondale instead of the dome

Bub
July 13th, 2006, 03:34 PM
No offense, but don't go thinking that Drake is anything all that special either... I agree with you on the priority thing, but don't start to think that Drake has ANYTHING on the state schools in Iowa... :nonono2:

I agree the state schools in Iowa are good. I went to Iowa, but private schools by their nature can be more selective, if they choose, which Drake does. Doesn't take away from UNI, ISU or UI.

Regardless I am bothered, and have mentioned this before, that so many I-AA schools take in some of these players who haven't shown themselves to be students, because they can help the team. You can say it's about giving a kid a second chance, but I'm calling BS. It's about winning and it's about priorities. It's wrong.

wannabegaucho
July 13th, 2006, 03:35 PM
What U.S. News and World Report has to say (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php)

Stop hating on USC. I know this is not of the respective football teams, but we edumacate ourselvez viddy good out herre on the lefft cost.

crunifan
July 13th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Now, I'm not completely positive, but about that Admissions Selectivity. That usually refers to the percent of students getting admitted to those that applied. Meaning only 73% of UNI applicants were admitted, compared to 88% of Drake...

Bub
July 13th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Now, I'm not completely positive, but about that Admissions Selectivity. That usually refers to the percent of students getting admitted to those that applied. Meaning only 73% of UNI applicants were admitted, compared to 88% of Drake...

I think you've got it reversed CR guy. :D According to US News Reports, Drake follows a "more selective" admission policy while UNI follows a "selective" admissions policy. I read that to mean 88 means more selective and 73 means less selective. Of course as my wife has pointed out, I too can be mistaken!:D

DUPFLFan
July 13th, 2006, 03:59 PM

It is a rating not a percentage - Rating is from 60-99 The more selective the higher.

Ivy schools are at 99

DUPFLFan
July 13th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Regardless I am bothered, and have mentioned this before, that so many I-AA schools take in some of these players who haven't shown themselves to be students, because they can help the team. You can say it's about giving a kid a second chance, but I'm calling BS. It's about winning and it's about priorities. It's wrong.

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::h urray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hur ray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:
:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::h urray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hur ray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

Cap'n Cat
July 13th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I agree the state schools in Iowa are good. I went to Iowa, but private schools by their nature can be more selective, if they choose, which Drake does. Doesn't take away from UNI, ISU or UI.

Counter BS. You are ASSUMING a lot.

It depends what institution you're talking about, Bub. There may be rogue I-AA places where the kid will be brought in, given the least work needed to keep him eligible and allow him to focus on football. Mark Farley is not like that, nor is UNI. He is genuinely interested in his charges' futures and will do all he and the university can do to make them decent tax-paying citizens when they're gone.

Sounds corny, but it's true. I'm gonna say most coaches are like that. And, Farley has demonstrated that, when a "troubled" guy comes to UNI, if he doesn't straighten up, he's out the door. He did it a year or two ago with that a-hole from Arizona State. Academics or not. Why would ANY coach, cognizant of the fact that eligibility is key to his team's success, NOT help a kid get straight?

I'm sure there will be a VERY LONG sitdown meeting with the guy and his new coach and the AD, if not others, about what is IMPORTANT in this stage of this young person's life.

:twocents:

Bub
July 13th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Counter BS. You are ASSUMING a lot.

It depends what institution you're talking about, Bub. There may be rogue I-AA places where the kid will be brought in, given the least work needed to keep him eligible and allow him to focus on football. Mark Farley is not like that, nor is UNI. He is genuinely interested in his charges' futures and will do all he and the university can do to make them decent tax-paying citizens when they're gone.

Sounds corny, but it's true. I'm gonna say most coaches are like that. And, Farley has demonstrated that, when a "troubled" guy comes to UNI, if he doesn't straighten up, he's out the door. He did it a year or two ago with that a-hole from Arizona State. Academics or not. Why would ANY coach, cognizant of the fact that eligibility is key to his team's success, NOT help a kid get straight?

I'm sure there will be a VERY LONG sitdown meeting with the guy and his new coach and the AD, if not others, about what is IMPORTANT in this stage of this young person's life.

Counter BS. That's a serious charge Capt:)

You'll notice I didn't name UNI. I'm well aware of their handling Hill. Still why would anyone give a repeated screw-up like that yet again another chance, but for winning? It's an issue non schollie's don't face because most of those kids can't get the academic money available and there is no athletic money of course so they never apply as a transfer.
If a kid is bounced from his prior I-A school due to academic problems it seems to me he ought to be required to get his grades in order before he can en-roll in a lower division. If he en-rolls and doesn't show satisfactory academic progress towards a degree during the year the schools should forfeit that kids scholarship the next year, the kid should lose his. Academic progress is a term of art every school uses in administering its program of academic scholarships. I would use it to mean you are taking a full time student load and pass all your classes. At Drake it means maintaining at least a 2.0 to be eligible. If you slip below 2.4 your on study table till your grades come up. Lets make sure the student is first in student/athlete.

P2TheB
July 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Note that he wasn't academically ineligible for this year. He was academically ineligible after his freshman year of college. Adjusting to college life/academics is tough, especially with all the distractions at a school like USC in LA. He was able to get his stuff together and play his sophomore season. He is leaving USC due to wanting more playing time and a change of scenery. There is nothing in any release that states that he is leaving USC due to academics.

Mountain Panther
July 13th, 2006, 08:45 PM
We'll be holding firm on our "One-and-Done" rule with this guy, believe me.

Chi Panther
July 13th, 2006, 08:49 PM
IF you want a law degree.....go to Drake.....

If you want to do about anything else go to UNI.....

Lets be serious here.....

Cap'n Cat
July 13th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Counter BS. That's a serious charge Capt:)

You'll notice I didn't name UNI. I'm well aware of their handling Hill. Still why would anyone give a repeated screw-up like that yet again another chance, but for winning? It's an issue non schollie's don't face because most of those kids can't get the academic money available and there is no athletic money of course so they never apply as a transfer.
If a kid is bounced from his prior I-A school due to academic problems it seems to me he ought to be required to get his grades in order before he can en-roll in a lower division. If he en-rolls and doesn't show satisfactory academic progress towards a degree during the year the schools should forfeit that kids scholarship the next year, the kid should lose his. Academic progress is a term of art every school uses in administering its program of academic scholarships. I would use it to mean you are taking a full time student load and pass all your classes. At Drake it means maintaining at least a 2.0 to be eligible. If you slip below 2.4 your on study table till your grades come up. Lets make sure the student is first in student/athlete.

You're still assuming way too much, Bub.

Doesn't matter if you didn't specifically name UNI. You said I-AA schools, a class to which UNI belongs. Your assumptions are not credible. UNI has the same eligibility requirements as Drake.

Bub
July 13th, 2006, 10:48 PM
IF you want a law degree.....go to Drake.....

If you want to do about anything else go to UNI.....

Lets be serious here.....

Right....,Thats why in the US News college rankings,Drake as an undergrad school is ranked 4th in the midwest and UNI is ranked 19th.

Bub
July 13th, 2006, 11:33 PM
You're still assuming way too much, Bub.

Doesn't matter if you didn't specifically name UNI. You said I-AA schools, a class to which UNI belongs. Your assumptions are not credible. UNI has the same eligibility requirements as Drake.

Capt I'm not sure what assumptions you think are way off base. I'm talking not talking about the USC kid, just in general.
If the bringing in of questionable kids to get at least one season out of them doesn't happen then what I've proposed won't have any impact at all. Does the NCAA keeps stats on the graduation rates and academic progress of transfers from I-A to I-AA? I'd be interested in those.
As an example, look at the thread on the UVA transfers to Grambling. Two players dismissed for academic reasons, go to JC to get their grades back up, not readmitted to UVA, but Grambling is taking them.
Are you telling me UNI has the so called 2.0 rule? If so that's excellant. Whether UNI has the same eligibility rules as Drake doesn't change the fact that most of these transfers aren't looking at non schollie's anyway. The 2.0 rule is a good rule, I don't think everyone has it, but I'd love to be wrong. Of course that rule does not impact a player who doesn't maintain grades during the season, the hammer comes the next semester.
We've gotten locked into the academic issue, but I don't want to overlook the behavior issue, that's really where my commment about second chances was directed, at the Ackeem Hills of the world, the guys committing criminal acts and genrally multiple ones. Look at this Lb from Miami who's getting some news as he's choosing to leave Miami, they took him in even though he had 8 fairly major criminal convictions on his record. Will he get in at a I-AA school? If Marcus Vick had decided to try I-AA rather than the pros would someone have taken a chance with him too?
Hell in SI last year it was reported that two HS FB players in Texas were convicted of rape or another major crime and were booted from their schools, but recruited to play at some other HS. WTF I'm I the only one who thinks that is wrong?

crunifan
July 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Right....,Thats why in the US News college rankings,Drake as an undergrad school is ranked 4th in the midwest and UNI is ranked 19th.

Because paying over twice as much for a business degree is worth it at Drake. I don't think so. If you honestly believe an employer out of the state of Iowa is going to be impressed by a degree from Drake, get a hold of yourself.

As far as I'm concerned, the only schools that matter on a resume, are Harvard, Princeton, Standford, etc.

DUPFLFan
July 14th, 2006, 04:09 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the only schools that matter on a resume, are Harvard, Princeton, Standford, etc.

Crunifan...

You need to get out of Iowa more often...

PantherMan
July 14th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Crunifan...

Why is that? It has been proven time and again that the name on the degree is typically not what employers look for. Unless of course those oh-so-gifted Drake students came up with some study to disprove this...:rolleyes:

crunifan
July 14th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Crunifan...

I bet I have been to more places in this world than you have, so don't tell me I need to get out of Iowa more.

Second of all, I have relatives (including my father) who are all successfull business men in Cedar Rapids, San Antonio, and Seattle. And they all agree, that when you get out of Iowa, know will know or care about the differences between ANY school in Iowa (excluding community colleges and such). The schools that make a difference are Ivy Leage and other nationally known prestigious schools. People outside of Iowa (and some inside) have no clue what or where Drake University is. Sad, but true. Drake is a wonderful school, but stop acting like it is freakin' Harvard of Iowa.

Mountain Panther
July 14th, 2006, 07:53 PM
People outside of Iowa (and some inside) have no clue what or where Drake University is. Sad, but true. Drake is a wonderful school, but stop acting like it is freakin' Harvard of Iowa.

Agreed.

Bub
July 14th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I bet I have been to more places in this world than you have, so don't tell me I need to get out of Iowa more.

Second of all, I have relatives (including my father) who are all successfull business men in Cedar Rapids, San Antonio, and Seattle. And they all agree, that when you get out of Iowa, know will know or care about the differences between ANY school in Iowa (excluding community colleges and such). The schools that make a difference are Ivy Leage and other nationally known prestigious schools. People outside of Iowa (and some inside) have no clue what or where Drake University is. Sad, but true. Drake is a wonderful school, but stop acting like it is freakin' Harvard of Iowa.

Where is all this hate coming from? It's a fact, Drake is more selective than UNI, ISU or UI in whom it admits. I agree, the Ivy is more selective than everyone else. The point was that due to Drake being more selective it wouldn't admit some kids who might get admitted elsewhere. Kids Drake admit might not get in elsewhere. The mission of state schools is different than that of private schools, they have to admit a broader range of academic students. It's not an indictment against state schools, it's just how it is.

Sad, but true, many people do not know about UNI either.

And I'm pretty sure Grinnell claims to be the Harvard of Iowa and Iowa City is the Athens of the Midwest.

Mountain Panther
July 14th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Grinnell claims to be the Harvard of Iowa

Mostly because they are the most EXPENSIVE school in Iowa.

igo4uni
July 14th, 2006, 09:14 PM
My brother spent 2 years at Drake. He lived in the dorms. The dorms were full of dumbazz Chicago kids whose parents had the $$$ to get them into Drake.

Just my observations.

Bub
July 15th, 2006, 12:37 AM
So now were down to my brother knows somebody? geez

Sorry, for dorms with dumbazz Chicago kids the prize has to go to UI. Loras and St A are full of Chicago kids too. From what I know of the Drake dorms they do not hold a candle to UI for stupid activity.:twocents:
Buy their way into Drake? What does that mean, if you have enough money you can skip through the application process? The reality is a lot of Chicago kids come to Iowa to school because they can't get into the Univ of Illinois.

Of course I'm sure every student at UNI is like those folks from Lake Wobegon, good looking, strong, intelligent and above average.

Look I know UNI is a fine school, I know quite a few kids kids who go there and really enjoy it. The question is where is all this bitterness towards Drake from UNI guys coming from? UNI always seem to have a chip on its shoulder from not getting the attention UI or ISU gets or even the press Drake gets in the Register, it's home town paper. It's Iowa, everything in Des Moines gets more press, always been that way. The fact is the majority of people in Iowa are UI or ISU fans and they don't give a rip about UNI, Drake or any other college in the state unless they attended there or their kids do. That isn't going to change either.

crunifan
July 15th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Where is all this hate coming from? It's a fact, Drake is more selective than UNI, ISU or UI in whom it admits. I agree, the Ivy is more selective than everyone else. The point was that due to Drake being more selective it wouldn't admit some kids who might get admitted elsewhere. Kids Drake admit might not get in elsewhere. The mission of state schools is different than that of private schools, they have to admit a broader range of academic students. It's not an indictment against state schools, it's just how it is.

Sad, but true, many people do not know about UNI either.

And I'm pretty sure Grinnell claims to be the Harvard of Iowa and Iowa City is the Athens of the Midwest.

I agree with everything you said. My problem was with DUPFLFan saying I apparently know nothing of Iowa education and therefore need to "get out" more often.

And yes, Grinnell is the best and richest school in Iowa for undergrads. They are the most expensive and the hardest to get into.

rcny46
July 16th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I agree with everything you said. My problem was with DUPFLFan saying I apparently know nothing of Iowa education and therefore need to "get out" more often.

And yes, Grinnell is the best and richest school in Iowa for undergrads. They are the most expensive and the hardest to get into.

Better and harder to get into than Cornell College?

shakdaddy3
July 16th, 2006, 01:43 AM

I agree that nowadays more and more coaches are realizing that stressing academics (especially when recruiting and talking with parents) is becoming more prominent. If a football team has a high transfer rate and all that jazz, that school looks much better than one that does not. It's sad when high school and college football coaches forget that one of their main responsibilities is to build better people whether academically, in football, or out in the community.

Kind of weird that this whole thing kind of started for the comment I made on page 1... sorry :D

crunifan
July 16th, 2006, 06:14 AM

Yeah, Grinnell is much much harder to get into than Cornell College. Surprising that such a little known school, even by Iowa standards is so rich and hard to get into.

D1B
July 16th, 2006, 09:51 AM
All the schools in Iowa are tops.

I do think employers, to a modest extent, look at what school you got your degree from. It's very regional too. For example a Wisconsin or Big Ten degree may get you in the door quicker than a UNI or Drake degree, here in the fabulous Midwest. I've noticed some eyes light up at my UNI degree simply because everyone knows Iowa has the best education system in the country, top to bottom.

rcny46
July 16th, 2006, 10:44 AM
All the schools in Iowa are tops.

I do think employers, to a modest extent, look at what school you got your degree from. It's very regional too. For example a Wisconsin or Big Ten degree may get you in the door quicker than a UNI or Drake degree, here in the fabulous Midwest. I've noticed some eyes light up at my UNI degree simply because everyone knows Iowa has the best education system in the country, top to bottom.

I know I read something a few years ago that mentioned Iowa's literacy rate was the highest in the US.

PantherMan
July 16th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Remember that there are two Cornell's. The one in Iowa isn't all that hard to get into (Cornell College). Grinnell is expensive, elitist, and in a huge hole of a town. No thank you said I...xcoffeex

rcny46
July 17th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Remember that there are two Cornell's. The one in Iowa isn't all that hard to get into (Cornell College). Grinnell is expensive, elitist, and in a huge hole of a town. No thank you said I...xcoffeex

There's always Coe.

PantherMan
July 17th, 2006, 08:46 PM
There's always Coe.

Lol, did you just drop Coe College into a discussion about top-notch schools?:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

rcny46
July 18th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Lol, did you just drop Coe College into a discussion about top-notch schools?:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I guess it was just a poor attempt at joking around on my part.Coe is in the same athletic conference as Grinnell and Cornell College,so I thought I'd throw them into the mix.

crunifan
July 18th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Whoops, nevermind.

crunifan
July 18th, 2006, 03:00 AM

I'll never know why Coe is as rich as it is or attracts as many out of staters as it does...

Cap'n Cat
July 18th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Great! Number 4 and number 19 - pretty good out of several hundred.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think you're the one who's hatin' here, Bub. You started this.

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Don't make a bit o' difference from where you get your degree, especially with employers in Iowa and the midwest......unless it's from the SWAC.

Bub
July 18th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Great! Number 4 and number 19 - pretty good out of several hundred.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think you're the one who's hatin' here, Bub. You started this.

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Don't make a bit o' difference from where you get your degree, especially with employers in Iowa and the midwest......unless it's from the SWAC.

Kitty Kat; You got me all wrong, I'm a lover, not a hater.

I didn't even start this mess; to paraphrase:

# 10, WMtribe90 said - it takes effort to flunk out of USC;

#18 DUPFLFAN said - a guy who flunks out couldn't get into Drake or any PFL school

#19 Pantherman said - Drake isn't all that

I responded Drake was more selective, because it's private and UNI is a fine school, all fact. No hate.

The irony of all this is after undergrad a buddy who went to Grinnell would argue with me and another Iowa grad over the merits of his private education vs our public ones. Guess which side I was on!:eek: It's all good.

PantherMan
July 19th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Kitty Kat; You got me all wrong, I'm a lover, not a hater.

I didn't even start this mess; to paraphrase:

# 10, WMtribe90 said - it takes effort to flunk out of USC;

#18 DUPFLFAN said - a guy who flunks out couldn't get into Drake or any PFL school

#19 Pantherman said - Drake isn't all that

I responded Drake was more selective, because it's private and UNI is a fine school, all fact. No hate.

The irony of all this is after undergrad a buddy who went to Grinnell would argue with me and another Iowa grad over the merits of his private education vs our public ones. Guess which side I was on!:eek: It's all good.

Your buddy doesn't like men does he? I've heard things about people that go/went to Grinnell... While not really a factor in my decision to cross the school off my possibility list, I heard some "interesting" things about that school's undergrads...:eek:

Bub
July 19th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Your buddy doesn't like men does he? I've heard things about people that go/went to Grinnell... While not really a factor in my decision to cross the school off my possibility list, I heard some "interesting" things about that school's undergrads...:eek:

Not that I recall, but I'll check with his wife and kids to be sure. :D

I've heard those same things....:eek: :eek:

PantherMan
July 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Rumor has it that Whitney Lewis is already toning up at UNI and has lost in the neighborhood of 20 pounds...:hurray:

slostang
July 28th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Rumor has it that Whitney Lewis is already toning up at UNI and has lost in the neighborhood of 20 pounds...:hurray:
I am sure he is a man on a mission. I saw him play in high school. If he puts his mind to it, he will be a dominate player in I-AA. He is a huge pick up by UNI.

PantherMan
July 28th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I am sure he is a man on a mission. I saw him play in high school. If he puts his mind to it, he will be a dominate player in I-AA. He is a huge pick up by UNI.

That is good to hear. If he is back in "game shape" by the beginning of the season, then he might be the piece of our puzzle on offense that pushes us back to Chattanooga. Last year it was David Horne, but I have a feeling the Lewis has even more upside potential than Horne did for us!:D

igo4uni
July 29th, 2006, 11:29 AM
I have a feeling the Lewis has even more upside potential than Horne did for us!:D

Those are big shoes to fill. Let's hope so!!

PantherMan
July 29th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Those are big shoes to fill. Let's hope so!!

Key word is potential. From day one I heard that Horne would be a stud for us. Lewis, if he can lose the weight and get in shape, could be just what the doctor ordered this year. Heck even if he's a little out of shape, he should have plenty of time to get open with our line!:hurray:

PantherRob82
July 29th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Would love to see him live up to his potential. Montana is also in that boat. A lot of transfers that they hope live up to their potential.

igo4uni
July 29th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Key word is potential.

That's the $64,000 question.