PDA

View Full Version : ASU-Michigan five-year anniversary

FanofFCS
August 16th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Sept. 1 will be five years for ASU's 34-32 upset.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_8_16_2012.htm

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 16th, 2012, 03:52 PM

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_8_16_2012.htm

Honestly, it seems longer ago than that....

WrenFGun
August 16th, 2012, 06:25 PM

I listened to this entire game on the APP. radio (keeping in mind that I'm a UNH fan) and I've never been happier at ANY football result. It was so incredible for the FCS world and it was such a dramatic way to win. They could have quit about 20 times and didn't; furthermore, it never appeared that they were grossly out-talented slighting a few big plays ... and even then, they'd find a way to match them.

ASU_Fanatic
August 16th, 2012, 07:13 PM
We made that trip and it was the greatest weekend of my life. Car decked out in App stuff, I'll never forget driving through Ohio on the way back.

Fordham
August 16th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Wow - to me it seems like yesterday. Flown by.

Wasn't Denard Robinson their QB then too? Seems like he's been there forever.

Grizalltheway
August 16th, 2012, 07:45 PM

Uh, no. He was 16 when that game was played.

344Johnson
August 16th, 2012, 07:51 PM

He didn't become the starter until his soph year of college.

grayghost06
August 16th, 2012, 08:16 PM
It think it seems longer because it was actually 6 seasons ago from this year which makes it a 5yr anniv. Game played in 2007- followed 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & current season (2012). Probably why married people describe their length of marriage by stating, "It seems longer!"
Brian Quick played in that game a a freshman, had a redshirt year somewhere and finished up his career last season. ASU was loaded at receiver that year.

grayghost06
August 16th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I listened to this entire game on the APP. radio (keeping in mind that I'm a UNH fan) and I've never been happier at ANY football result. It was so incredible for the FCS world and it was such a dramatic way to win. They could have quit about 20 times and didn't; furthermore, it never appeared that they were grossly out-talented slighting a few big plays ... and even then, they'd find a way to match them.

I was absolutely thrilled for them. As the game went on, you'd have been hard pressed to know I wasn't a lifelong App fan . I watched the first half from a bar and the second half by radio from a Kenan Stadium tailgating lot. And completely agree that they didn't look grossly out talented, though I do think they were understandably running out of steam.

344Johnson
August 16th, 2012, 08:36 PM
What ruined it for me was that Michigan got embarassed a week later at home. I hate Michigan and I was happy to see them lose but it kind of took some of the awesomeness out of App's win. I still enjoyed it.

Fordham
August 16th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Uh, no. He was 16 when that game was played.

more so a tongue-in-cheek comment. Really can't believe he still has one more year of eligibility left.

amazing, amazing game. Put Lloyd Carr out to pasture and ushered in the "R"Rod era. It took until last season for UM to recover.

Apps03
August 17th, 2012, 07:15 AM
We made that trip and it was the greatest weekend of my life. Car decked out in App stuff, I'll never forget driving through Ohio on the way back.

Yep, it was an amazing weekend. We drove to Ann Arbor, partied all night there, then got in the car and drove to Clemson for the Clemson/FSU labor day game. Never did change out of my App gear and had people going crazy even in Clemson, SC.

AppAlum2003
August 17th, 2012, 07:19 AM
It think it seems longer because it was actually 6 seasons ago from this year which makes it a 5yr anniv. Game played in 2007- followed 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & current season (2012). Probably why married people describe their length of marriage by stating, "It seems longer!"
Brian Quick played in that game a a freshman, had a redshirt year somewhere and finished up his career last season. ASU was loaded at receiver that year.

Quick played that game and blocked the second-to-last field goal... which is still very over-looked to this day.

He played the next game for ASU and injured himself. He was redshirted the rest of the year.

TheEagleWay
August 17th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Cheers on the anniversary. xbeerchugx

Still an amazin feat.xthumbsupx

Apphole
August 17th, 2012, 08:30 AM
You should have been in Boone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26WNUJ4-fCI

What an amazing freshman year I had

fc97
August 17th, 2012, 10:29 AM
it was a great win. but i disagree that it did ANYTHING for fcs. it did stuff for app and app only. and thats great for them cause it was a fantastic win.

AppStsGr8
August 17th, 2012, 10:50 AM
It's definitely one of those time warp sort of experiences. It seems so long ago, yet it seems like it was just yesterday. We went into the stadium in Ann Arbor as early as possible because we wanted to sit up in our seats in row 90 and watch the place fill up. When asked what the score would be by a fellow in the stadium, I said, "We'll be up by two touchdowns at halftime. Michigan will come back in the third quarter, but we'll still win by 3." Ok ... I was off by a point.

The Michigan fans were great. Even though I know a win like that usually only happens once in a lifetime, I'm looking forward to the return trip in 2014.

BR54Niner
August 17th, 2012, 11:00 AM
The Michigan fans were great. Even though I know a win like that usually only happens once in a lifetime, I'm looking forward to the return trip in 2014.

Great win, but they'll destroy App next year. Complete blood bath. Hoke will use this game to exorcise some demons from the past. No matter how much success Michigan enjoys this year with their resurgence to national prominence, it will be incomplete until this loss is made right for the fanbase. Expect 50+ pt differential. This is not meant to diminish the accomplishment from 5 years ago, but next year will be used to re-iterate what it really was, a fluke win by a D2 team catching a D1 team resting on it's past. Makes me salivate to think how bad we'll beat Michigan if / when the opportunity presents itself in the future.

ASUG8
August 17th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Great win, but they'll destroy App next year. Complete blood bath. Hoke will use this game to exorcise some demons from the past. No matter how much success Michigan enjoys this year with their resurgence to national prominence, it will be incomplete until this loss is made right for the fanbase. Expect 50+ pt differential. This is not meant to diminish the accomplishment from 5 years ago, but next year will be used to re-iterate what it really was, a fluke win by a D2 team catching a D1 team resting on it's past. Makes me salivate to think how bad we'll beat Michigan if / when the opportunity presents itself in the future.

I completely agreed with you right up to where your meds wore off in the last sentence.:D

Apphole
August 17th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Makes me salivate to think how bad we'll beat Michigan if / when the opportunity presents itself in the future.

xrotatehx

asumike83
August 17th, 2012, 11:15 AM

August 30, 2014: Appalachian 49, Michigan 2

They will block a punt for a safety late to get on the board but we will leave no doubt this time around! We eased up and let them back into it, we've got our own demons to exorcise. We almost LOST to those scrubs!

asu3peat
August 17th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Have to say this game was the best credit card debt I've ever incurred! Sat on the 15th row surrounded by UM fans. Had lots of fun with the two guys in front of us. One was a Wolverine fan and his buddy an OSU fan. The Buckeye fan had jumped online and bought an App shirt to wear to the game. He was giving his friend hell the entire game. Those last few minutes were such a roller coaster of emotions, I'll cherish those memories for a lifetime. Upon getting back to my car, after tailgating on the golf course around a sea of Wolverines, some UM fans that we were tailgating with left beer cans all over my car and wrote on my window the my girlfriend at the time "loved Lloyd Carr" (all in good fun). Needless to say, they had already high tailed it out of there. The drive back through Ohio was awesome. Every car that passed us honked there horns and were hanging and waving out the windows (mostly OSU and ND fans).

344Johnson
August 17th, 2012, 11:45 AM

Denard Robinson will be gone. They could be in for a new mini-transition. I don't see App winnning by any means, but if App has a top 3-5 FCS team, they could keep Michigan fans uncomfortable for a 2-3 quarters.

Apphole
August 17th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I expect nothing less than a vengeful arse whoopin from the Wolverines. That being said, nothing will ever take away our win and I'm totally cool with having a .500 record against the winningest BCS powerhouse in the nation.

paward
August 18th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I do not think the game in 2014 will ever make up for that last game they played. It may make for a great story line. But the FCS world will remember that game forever. That was just a win for Appalachian State Country. It was a win for FCS vs FBS. We are never going to favorite in those games. The math and resources does not match. Since that day not one FCS team have gone into their FBS game thinking pay check. We all think and know we can win it.

I was driving to Knoxville that day listening to the game on the radio. The Spiders were playing Vandy that day. We lost our game but played as if we were equal not inferior. We can spin, slice and dice that Michigan game anyway you want. It is still the biggest upset in college football history, IMHO.

blueballs
August 18th, 2012, 10:30 AM
It was the only time I've ever pulled for App...

App's victory over Michigan was made even sweeter for me when GSU went into Boone and stopped App's home winning streak later that year- the highlight of the Hatcher regime.

It was a tremendous game, although I still think JMU beating VT was a bigger upset. Congrats 5 years later.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 18th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I don't think this was the biggest up ever either. It was however, the game with the biggest "shock value".

walliver
August 18th, 2012, 01:29 PM
It was the only time I've ever pulled for App...

App's victory over Michigan was made even sweeter for me when GSU went into Boone and stopped App's home winning streak later that year- the highlight of the Hatcher regime.

App beat Michigan but lost to 2 lowly SoCon teams.

Horseshoe App
August 18th, 2012, 07:38 PM
But won the national championship:)

AppAlum2003
August 18th, 2012, 10:51 PM

You typed in a URL to get to this website...

cbarrier90
August 19th, 2012, 01:27 AM
I don't think this was the biggest upset ever either.

Using what parameters? In all sports, probably not. The idea of collegiate players beating professional all stars makes for a much bigger upset, so 1980 USA-USSR will always hold this distinction until further notice.

In major collegiate sports? Top 5 at least, but Chaminade was a Division II school, Virginia was the #1 ranked team in the country, and Ralph Sampson was the most dominant big man since Bill Russell who baffled even the best ACC teams. IMO, Chaminade-UVA is the greatest collegiate upset because the dominance of UVA was clear, and the gap between D-I and D-II basketball is much more significant than that of FCS-FBS.

In college football? Absolutely, when you consider that the FCS school is always outmatched in terms of scholarships and therefore will always have fewer players on its roster than the FBS school. Yes, there was NFL caliber talent on both sides of the ball for ASU, but more players ended up being drafted from Michigan that played in the game. In terms of football program, school size, endowment, etc., everything in this matchup points to Michigan.

Unfortunately for JMU, it's a case of severely diminishing returns when looking at their upset of Virginia Tech. Like Michigan, VT was also very talented and even despite the upset managed to pull together a very nice season. The advantage JMU has in this comparison is that their team at the time of the upset wasn't as talented as ASU's and didn't even make the FCS playoffs that season.

However, JMU and Virginia Tech recruit from the same areas, meaning most of the players on both sides probably played with or against each other in lower levels of football, and both JMU and Virginia Tech met on the gridiron before due to the proximity of the schools. Also, the game was played after VT's hard-fought, demoralizing "home" loss to Boise State in which they had a short week to rest.

By comparison, ASU and Michigan had never met (Michigan had never played an FCS opponent.) Looking back, the unfamiliarity between the teams played right into ASU's favor, but at the time, that wasn't thought to be the case, as Michigan was a Top 5 BCS opponent the likes of which ASU had never seen.

Also, consider the ramifications brought forth by each upset: Virginia Tech still plays "Beamer Ball," is still at the top of the ACC, and doesn't look to be going anywhere anytime soon. Meanwhile, Lloyd Carr announced his retirement effective at the end of the 2007 season after the ASU-Michigan game and Michigan, sensing a need to change their physical, smashmouth style to a sleeker, more athletic, fast-paced attack not unlike the one they failed to defend that day, hired Rich Rodriguez, one of the masterminds behind virtually the exact same read-option scheme. This plan backfired, as Michigan now became known as the school that couldn't play defense, resulting in one of the worst periods in Wolverine football history. Only this past season, with a bowl win over Virginia Tech (!) has Michigan appeared to be on the right track to prominence under yet another new coach, Brady Hoke. They're back in the Top 25 and Big Ten contenders again, thanks to, coincidentally, a speedy, dreadlocked QB. :)

Skjellyfetti
August 19th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Great post. xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
August 20th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Using what parameters? In all sports, probably not. The idea of collegiate players beating professional all stars makes for a much bigger upset, so 1980 USA-USSR will always hold this distinction until further notice.

In major collegiate sports? Top 5 at least, but Chaminade was a Division II school, Virginia was the #1 ranked team in the country, and Ralph Sampson was the most dominant big man since Bill Russell who baffled even the best ACC teams. IMO, Chaminade-UVA is the greatest collegiate upset because the dominance of UVA was clear, and the gap between D-I and D-II basketball is much more significant than that of FCS-FBS.

In college football? Absolutely, when you consider that the FCS school is always outmatched in terms of scholarships and therefore will always have fewer players on its roster than the FBS school. Yes, there was NFL caliber talent on both sides of the ball for ASU, but more players ended up being drafted from Michigan that played in the game. In terms of football program, school size, endowment, etc., everything in this matchup points to Michigan.

Unfortunately for JMU, it's a case of severely diminishing returns when looking at their upset of Virginia Tech. Like Michigan, VT was also very talented and even despite the upset managed to pull together a very nice season. The advantage JMU has in this comparison is that their team at the time of the upset wasn't as talented as ASU's and didn't even make the FCS playoffs that season.

However, JMU and Virginia Tech recruit from the same areas, meaning most of the players on both sides probably played with or against each other in lower levels of football, and both JMU and Virginia Tech met on the gridiron before due to the proximity of the schools. Also, the game was played after VT's hard-fought, demoralizing "home" loss to Boise State in which they had a short week to rest.

By comparison, ASU and Michigan had never met (Michigan had never played an FCS opponent.) Looking back, the unfamiliarity between the teams played right into ASU's favor, but at the time, that wasn't thought to be the case, as Michigan was a Top 5 BCS opponent the likes of which ASU had never seen.

Also, consider the ramifications brought forth by each upset: Virginia Tech still plays "Beamer Ball," is still at the top of the ACC, and doesn't look to be going anywhere anytime soon. Meanwhile, Lloyd Carr announced his retirement effective at the end of the 2007 season after the ASU-Michigan game and Michigan, sensing a need to change their physical, smashmouth style to a sleeker, more athletic, fast-paced attack not unlike the one they failed to defend that day, hired Rich Rodriguez, one of the masterminds behind virtually the exact same read-option scheme. This plan backfired, as Michigan now became known as the school that couldn't play defense, resulting in one of the worst periods in Wolverine football history. Only this past season, with a bowl win over Virginia Tech (!) has Michigan appeared to be on the right track to prominence under yet another new coach, Brady Hoke. They're back in the Top 25 and Big Ten contenders again, thanks to, coincidentally, a speedy, dreadlocked QB. :)

He may have been paying a compliment by saying it wasn't the greatest upset ever. Perhaps he was implying that ASU and Michigan were much closer talent-wise than JMU and VT.

ASUMountaineer
August 20th, 2012, 03:54 PM

I don't think Michigan will destroy App next year. They don't play until 2014. Of course, I guess stranger things have happened.

T-Dog
August 20th, 2012, 10:54 PM
ASU was loaded at receiver that year.

The entire offense was loaded. There were so many 80+ yard TD drives that only went 1-2 minutes that year. We dropped 79 on Western that year and didn't even punt the ball once.

One of the amazing facts from that game is that only 27 ASU players say the field that day.

Also, this.

http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Former-Michigan-player-Nearly-half-the-team-was-stoned-during-Appalachian-State-loss-10-2-3043

grayghost06
August 20th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Cbarrier90....you bring up an interesting point when you mention that a lot of the guys fronm VT and JMU knew each other and had played against each other growing up. I'm sure many of our guys wanted to show Tech that they could play w/ the big boys and prove the VT recruiters wrong. Coach Matthews said in pregame something along the lines of " We've got 60 guys that they (VT) didn't want...I guarantee you after today they'll wish they had some of you."

Additionally, you can never discount confidence brought by experience. While I doubt many players on JMU thought we had a better team, but some of them KNEW from experience that their opposite was no better, perhaps in a few cases not even as good. All the pedigree in the world is useless if you're going up against some guy who had your number in high school.

And that's what happened w/ UVA & Chaminade. UVA was a great shooting team w/ a dominant center. But they were rather un-athletic. Chaminade had a pretty good center named Tony Randolph who grew up 25 miles from Ralph Sampson and played against him for years in high school. And he wasn't intimidated, outscoring Sampson 19-12. Confidence can go a long way.

cbarrier90
August 21st, 2012, 12:18 AM
He may have been paying a compliment by saying it wasn't the greatest upset ever. Perhaps he was implying that ASU and Michigan were much closer talent-wise.

I think that's exactly what he was trying to say, and that's simply not the case. As I said, there was great talent on the ASU team at some of the skill positions, but ASU won that game because they were under-estimated, had an offensive scheme that Michigan couldn't defend and, as Ghost pointed out, gained more confidence as the game wore on. Michigan returned the opening kickoff for a TD, and I argue that had Dexter Jackson not out-sprinted the Michigan secondary to tie the game up on the very next drive, Michigan goes on to win by 3 TDs as expected.

asu3peat
August 21st, 2012, 09:26 AM
The opening kickoff was not returned for a TD. UM drove the ball down App's throat going 66 yards on 6 plays in the opening drive to put the first 6 on the board. I hope those UM players that were stoned for the ASU game were also blazed up the following week because Oregon dropped 39 points on the Wolverines.

Gringer1
August 21st, 2012, 10:23 AM
Also, this.

http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Former-Michigan-player-Nearly-half-the-team-was-stoned-during-Appalachian-State-loss-10-2-3043

I don't exactly believe that story, but I would bet that at least 1 team did this at some point. Might as well have been Michigan that day.

BEAR
August 21st, 2012, 10:51 AM
deleted xnodx

BrianFellows
August 21st, 2012, 10:52 AM
The entire offense was loaded. There were so many 80+ yard TD drives that only went 1-2 minutes that year. We dropped 79 on Western that year and didn't even punt the ball once.

One of the amazing facts from that game is that only 27 ASU players say the field that day.

Also, this.

I don't exactly believe that story, but I would bet that at least 1 team did this at some point. Might as well have been Michigan that day.

Here's something funny about that game: that and the coaches didn't plan too much for App. State. ;.)

Yes. That is Correct.

laxVik
August 21st, 2012, 01:50 PM
Maybe it was weed's fault...

http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Former-Michigan-player-Nearly-half-the-team-was-stoned-during-Appalachian-State-loss-10-2-3043#.UDOT2idqY3w.twitter

SpeedkingATL
August 21st, 2012, 02:23 PM
The most fun I've ever had at a football game and an APPsolute rollercoaster of emotion during the 4th quarter. I'll make the trip again in 2014 and I will hope for the best.

Referring to the article, I expect the Wolverines were smoking weed and drinking after they lost to App because they realized they were playing an Oregon team that was App State on steroids the following weekend. Then they got to play a bunch of Big Ten teams, got their act somewhat together, salvaged a decent year and even beat an SEC team in a bowl game.

Be it good or bad, App will be identified by that game outside the FCS world for a long, long time. Not the worst thing to be identified by.

rOryOs-ASU
August 21st, 2012, 04:37 PM
So true and if I had found out I could see the game on Big Ten Network I would not have gone! I found out the day after commiting to fly up there and I don't like to fly!Which would have robbed me of one of my most cherished experiences and memories for a lifetime!!xnodx! I also flew down to LSU in 05 ,, so thats about all the wings I got!!

Hooner49
August 21st, 2012, 05:16 PM
Also, this.

It all makes sense now.

Horseshoe App
August 21st, 2012, 06:17 PM
Such a loser. Start talking trash when you have played a game. We would tear you a new a--hole right now and you know it!!!

It all makes sense now.

ASU_Fanatic
August 21st, 2012, 07:53 PM
Roflol the entire team was high before the game

caribbeanhen
August 21st, 2012, 09:13 PM
the pot smokers will smoke regardless of who their playing

BlueHenSinfonian
August 21st, 2012, 11:10 PM
“The night before the game, everyone was smoking pot and having fun at the team hotel, no coaches were bothering us. The next day, (game day), one offensive player in particular was the ring leader and was messing around trying to convince all the other guys that we could beat these guys stoned and how crazy it would be to be all messed up and still ‘drop 50 on these fools’. For some reason, there was a ton of people who joined in. From what I saw and was told afterwards, 6 defensive starters and 3 offensive starters smoked up that morning.

BlueHenSinfonian
August 21st, 2012, 11:12 PM
Whoops, I now see this was posted in the 5 year App/Mich reunion thread, feel free to delete this thread mods.

ASU_Fanatic
August 21st, 2012, 11:27 PM
lmfao aye though more teams should start trying this, like do a sports science. i was laughing when i heard this. i could see the lions buccaneers and bengals doing this. but thinking on the large scheme of things i bet players do this all the time.

i honestly thought this was pretty hilarious though, i mean it could be an excuse but who knows. like i said i'd bet a lot of players do this.

813Jag
August 22nd, 2012, 07:06 AM
Guess they were stoned against Oregon too

Hooner49
August 22nd, 2012, 08:35 AM
Such a loser. Start talking trash when you have played a game. We would tear you a new a--hole right now and you know it!!!

I have no doubt that App would beat us right now...having only half a full roster and maybe 1 or 2 practices under our belt.

In all seriousness, there's no way we would schedule you in our first few years. Being a start-up program with nearly half a roster of walk-ons vs. a solid FCS program eager to plow us in the dirt...it would be ugly, no doubt, and we would have nothing to gain from it. But I'm not sure App would want to schedule us after four years of FBS recruits (~2019). Who knows. It would be a rowdy game, that's for sure. One school wanting to prove to its city that it is the premier local program, while the other wants nothing more than to embarrass the program that leapfrogged them to FBS. It will be interesting to see if we ever make it on each other's schedules. If/when App makes the jump to FBS, I would love to play you guys every year.

Apphole
August 22nd, 2012, 08:41 AM
When App makes the jump to FBS, I would love to play you guys every year.

FIFY

And I'd like the same series. You can be our new "Western."

asumike83
August 22nd, 2012, 08:45 AM
I have no doubt that App would beat us right now...having only half a full roster and maybe 1 or 2 practices under our belt.

In all seriousness, there's no way we would schedule you in our first few years. Being a start-up program with nearly half a roster of walk-ons vs. a solid FCS program eager to plow us in the dirt...it would be ugly, no doubt, and we would have nothing to gain from it. But I'm not sure App would want to schedule us after four years of FBS recruits (~2019). Who knows. It would be a rowdy game, that's for sure. One school wanting to prove to its city that it is the premier local program, while the other wants nothing more than to embarrass the program that leapfrogged them to FBS. It will be interesting to see if we ever make it on each other's schedules. If/when App makes the jump to FBS, I would love to play you guys every year.

This.

Y'all have no motivation to play us right now. What is there to gain? However, I really hope we are able to play somewhat regularly once the UNCC program is off it's feet whether we are FBS or not. I don't doubt that you guys will get some good recruits to join a new program that is going FBS. The real question is how you guys will fare if you get beat up in C-USA the first couple of years and that "new car smell" wears off.

I do believe App will be FBS at some point, the only real question is how long it will take. Once that happens, I'd be very disappointed if we didn't have regular series going with you guys and ECU.

Hooner49
August 22nd, 2012, 08:55 AM
FIFY

And I'd like the same series. You can be our new "Western."

I was thinking something more along the lines of you being our new Davidson.

mountaineer in Cane Land
August 22nd, 2012, 09:09 AM
as proud as I am for my mountaineers beating Michigan, normally, for an FCS school to beat a top 10 FBS program, there has to be special circumstances happening. In this game, Mike Hart the all American running back, only played about 2 1/2 quaters with a bad hamstring, still ran for over 200 yds, and I believe 3 tds, but if he is a 1oo% probably runs for atleast 300 and a couple more tds, also, I think Michigan forgot, that the objective of the game is to win, I think their first priority was to blow us of the field, and their play calling proved that. There was no way App could stop them if they decided to just "move the chains" with screen passes, short crossing routes, pounding the ball up the middle etc. Yet, around the 2nd quater, their playcalling consisted of deep patterns, and low percentage pass completion attempts. They were trying to score on every play. I kept waiting for the Michigan coaches to realize whats happening, and start moving the ball with short passes, but it never really happened.

ASU_Fanatic
August 22nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
I definitely see App and Charlotte being rivals by 2020 especially if App can find an FBS conference, if not I could see them hurting a bit as far as recruiting goes cause Charlotte would have more to sell to the average 18 year old athlete.

Also poor poor Western who knows what's gonna happen to them. They are gonnna be so far behind more than likely

Apphole
August 22nd, 2012, 10:06 AM
I was thinking something more along the lines of you being our new Davidson.

Nah my example is much more appropriate. The academic gap between Davidson and UNCC/App and Western is pretty similar, but we're a large public school too. We'll own the series.

Rekdiver
August 22nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
You wanted to schedule us. Judy contacted us, and we said sure but we want to schedule games with other sports too and Judy said "No"!

Rekdiver
August 22nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
I was there. UM issues aside we came to play and we moved the chains and played smarter than they did. They scored enough points to win...we just scored more. I'll not accept any excuses, the game was won on the field regardless of circumstances. It was clear who the better prepared team on the field was and keeping kids focused, led properly and hungry is part of the game. The game was proof that arrogance can kill you and we killed Goliath.

as proud as I am for my mountaineers beating Michigan, normally, for an FCS school to beat a top 10 FBS program, there has to be special circumstances happening. In this game, Mike Hart the all American running back, only played about 2 1/2 quaters with a bad hamstring, still ran for over 200 yds, and I believe 3 tds, but if he is a 1oo% probably runs for atleast 300 and a couple more tds, also, I think Michigan forgot, that the objective of the game is to win, I think their first priority was to blow us of the field, and their play calling proved that. There was no way App could stop them if they decided to just "move the chains" with screen passes, short crossing routes, pounding the ball up the middle etc. Yet, around the 2nd quater, their playcalling consisted of deep patterns, and low percentage pass completion attempts. They were trying to score on every play. I kept waiting for the Michigan coaches to realize whats happening, and start moving the ball with short passes, but it never really happened.

chattownmocs
August 22nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
That must be have been some good bud...lasted what 5,6,7 hours? All while getting hit over and over and constantly replenishing fluids?

Apphole
August 22nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
That must be have been some good bud...lasted what 5,6,7 hours? All while getting hit over and over and constantly replenishing fluids?

An App student sold it to them. It was all an organized effort to sabotage the team. There's some strong stuff in the HIGH country (THC).

appst97
August 22nd, 2012, 12:31 PM
[http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Former-Michigan-player-Nearly-half-the-team-was-stoned-during-Appalachian-State-loss-10-2-3043[/QUOTE]

That is HIGH-larious

SpeedkingATL
August 22nd, 2012, 01:25 PM
I was there. UM issues aside we came to play and we moved the chains and played smarter than they did. They scored enough points to win...we just scored more. I'll not accept any excuses, the game was won on the field regardless of circumstances. It was clear who the better prepared team on the field was and keeping kids focused, led properly and hungry is part of the game. The game was proof that arrogance can kill you and we killed Goliath.

I too was there and I totally agree with you. Michigan's first drive they simply overpowered our defense then suddenly they started the higher risk passing attack and our 2 cornerbacks were playing great. They also went for 2 a couple of times I believe and went on 4th down with crazy pass plays a couple of times. When App streched the lead I think they felt they had to throw and throw deep and that played into the App strength. In the end App made one more play than Michigan and that was the difference.

Don't know why UNCC discussion comes up on this and every App thread, but down the line it would be to both teams advantage to play each other in football. I wouldn't blame UNCC for waiting until the day App finally moves up and their program is more established but it would be a huge game and revenue producer for both fan bases. I would hope ECU would also become regular match-up for both App and UNCC at that point. It will be interesting to see where each program is hanging its hat conference wise in 2018 or so.

ASUMountaineer
August 22nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
lmfao aye though more teams should start trying this, like do a sports science. i was laughing when i heard this. i could see the lions buccaneers and bengals doing this. but thinking on the large scheme of things i bet players do this all the time.

i honestly thought this was pretty hilarious though, i mean it could be an excuse but who knows. like i said i'd bet a lot of players do this.

I don't buy it. And, even if true it shouldn't impact their performance that much. Hell, David Wells pitched a perfect game hungover. Look at his physique...that, I can believe.

SpeedkingATL
August 22nd, 2012, 01:33 PM

Must be some of that Culloweed they've been using over at Western all these years.

Skjellyfetti
August 22nd, 2012, 01:41 PM
I don't buy it. And, even if true it shouldn't impact their performance that much. Hell, David Wells pitched a perfect game hungover. Look at his physique...that, I can believe.

And there's always Dock Ellis's no hitter on LSD.

bonarae
August 22nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
Hmm, what's really new today now that App - Michigan #2 is already set...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19866497/five-years-ago-app-state-changed-it-all-but-whats-really-new-today

Skjellyfetti
August 22nd, 2012, 06:05 PM
Hmm, what's really new today now that App - Michigan #2 is already set...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19866497/five-years-ago-app-state-changed-it-all-but-whats-really-new-today

Appalachian State continues to rule FBS

That's right. Suck it, Saban.

Za-KEE-uS
August 22nd, 2012, 10:32 PM
Seems like yesterday I was in a hotel room in Houston watching that game, not knowing we were also a few hours away from upsetting a FBS team, but of lesser significance.

putter
August 22nd, 2012, 11:04 PM
I was coming back from Chico Hot Springs...no TV there. When a friend of mine called me and told me that App pulled it off, my first thought was, I have to see how ESPN spins this one! Great day for the FCS!!