PDA

View Full Version : Newest Colgate Scoreboard Pic and Jordan Scott Story

colgate13
July 10th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Small, but you get the idea

http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/images/gen/2006/6/29/Scoreboard%20006.JPG

Plus, this:

Scott Looking Forward To Year Two In Colgate Backfield (http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/News/football/2006/7/7/football772006.asp?path=football)

Some big words from the soph:

“I know the team can win it all,” Scott said. “With the seniors we have and the experience that they bring, this team's potential is limitless. As long as we play as a team and play fluently I believe this team is going to win the Patriot League. From there we just have to take care of business in the postseason.”

Fordham
July 10th, 2006, 11:45 AM
"and play fluently" :confused:

I'm glad to see you guys focused on what you need to get done in the post season. :thumbsup:

carney2
July 10th, 2006, 11:54 AM
It's perfect. I can already see a live, tight shot of Dicky Biddle's tear stained face in abject agony as time expires on October 28th.

colgate13
July 10th, 2006, 12:00 PM
It's perfect. I can already see a live, tight shot of Dicky Biddle's tear stained face in abject agony as time expires on October 28th.

You really need to stop dreaming! :thumbsup:

Lehigh Football Nation
July 10th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Biddle has never expereinced the bitter taste of defeat from Lafayette: I suppose there's a first time for everything, huh? :D :cool:

Go...gate
July 10th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Clearly, Scott and his teammates are planning to assist our rather diminutive Pep Band when they are not participating on the playing field, and thus have been pursuing "fluency" at playing musical instruments. Just another example of well-rounded Colgate students :D :rotateh:

colgate13
July 10th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I'm missing the deal with the word 'fluently'. It's an adverb that means 'in a fluent manner'. Fluent means:

Able to express oneself readily and effortlessly: a fluent speaker; fluent in three languages.
Flowing effortlessly; polished: speaks fluent Russian; gave a fluent performance of the sonata.
Flowing or moving smoothly; graceful: a yacht with long, fluent curves.
Flowing or capable of flowing; fluid.Basically, he thinks the team needs to play smoothly, readily and effortlessly. Sounds good to me!

Pard4Life
July 10th, 2006, 01:28 PM
He speaks a half-truth. The Pards will have something to say about that...

colgate13
July 10th, 2006, 02:50 PM
He speaks a half-truth. The Pards will have something to say about that...
ah, every season brings renewed hope! Let me just remind you of a little something, eh?

11/05/2005 18-15 W
11/06/2004 22-19 W
11/01/2003 47-31 W
11/02/2002 31-24 W
10/27/2001 20-16 W
10/28/2000 17-14 W
10/09/1999 56-14 W
11/14/1998 42-27 W
10/11/1997 44-6 W
10/26/1996 40-9 W
Jordan Scott vs. a retooling Pard defense? I like our odds. :D

Fordham
July 10th, 2006, 02:56 PM
I'm missing the deal with the word 'fluently'. It's an adverb that means 'in a fluent manner'. Fluent means:

Able to express oneself readily and effortlessly: a fluent speaker; fluent in three languages.
Flowing effortlessly; polished: speaks fluent Russian; gave a fluent performance of the sonata.
Flowing or moving smoothly; graceful: a yacht with long, fluent curves.
Flowing or capable of flowing; fluid.Basically, he thinks the team needs to play smoothly, readily and effortlessly. Sounds good to me!

Funny ... in all candor before my post I double checked to ensure there wasn't a definition I was missing and saw the second one listed for 'fluency' (it's the 3rd one on your list for "fluid"). Regardless of how one can interpret one of the lesser used definition - it's still just pretty darn awkward, imo, so I posted away.

More important is the 'looking ahead' comment imo.

carney2
July 10th, 2006, 03:07 PM
ah, every season brings renewed hope! Let me just remind you of a little something, eh?

11/05/2005 18-15 W
11/06/2004 22-19 W
11/01/2003 47-31 W
11/02/2002 31-24 W
10/27/2001 20-16 W
10/28/2000 17-14 W
10/09/1999 56-14 W
11/14/1998 42-27 W
10/11/1997 44-6 W
10/26/1996 40-9 W
Jordan Scott vs. a retooling Pard defense? I like our odds. :D

The 1st 4 on your list (1996 - 1999) were the tail end of the Russo snooze-in, so throw them out. He was no better than even money vs. Mt. Holyoke at that point in his so-called career. The next 3 (2000 - 2002) were part of Artie Rothkopf's "drop football" fallout, and if you count them, you also enjoy stealing candy from kindergartners. The corner wasn't turned until the 2002 Lehigh game and "the drive."

I will therefore give you 2003, 2004 and 2005. You are, in reality, 3 - 0 and ready for a fall. This is the year.

Pard4Life
July 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I don't know carney.. I was at those 2001 and 2002 games and they were awfully close. We can't seem to get any closer with our supposed 'better teams' nowadays. Every game this century and 2000, minus super-Colgate in 2003, has been close. So in other words, every year Tavani has been at the helm... close, but no cigar.

Fact is, we just have to show-up and stick it to 'em.. and hopefully get a couple of lucky bounces this time. Colgate can't waltz through us and they know that. We just need to focus more and create some luck.

13 touts that our weakened defense increases the odds of win 11, but I am confident that with the talent and returning experience from last year, we will be as good as the departing unit. As for 'gate, they have their graduation issues as well... I think along the DL or OL.. can't remember at the moment.. so we will see how each team has fared to that point in the season. Momentum could very well be a key heading into this game.

Pard4Life
July 10th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Also pardsters... notice how 13's head keeps getting bigger?

Well, I guess that means there will a more exciting, bigger "POP" when it blows. :rotateh:

Go...gate
July 10th, 2006, 04:00 PM
I still remember when Lafayette's Frank Baur played out of his mind at Hamilton in '88 when LC ended a long (over 20 years) non-winning skein against Colgate, 42-34. Lafayette had one of its best teams ever and was clearly due against a Colgate team that would finish 2-9. After that, Lafayette handled us pretty well until Biddle became Head Coach.

Franks Tanks
July 10th, 2006, 06:08 PM
The 1st 4 on your list (1996 - 1999) were the tail end of the Russo snooze-in, so throw them out. He was no better than even money vs. Mt. Holyoke at that point in his so-called career. The next 3 (2000 - 2002) were part of Artie Rothkopf's "drop football" fallout, and if you count them, you also enjoy stealing candy from kindergartners. The corner wasn't turned until the 2002 Lehigh game and "the drive."

I will therefore give you 2003, 2004 and 2005. You are, in reality, 3 - 0 and ready for a fall. This is the year.

No Respect for Eddie Robinson winner Billy Russo, but you are right. The end of Russo's career reminded me of what his fellow Brown alum JoePA was going through in recent history, too stubborn to update his offensive gameplans. It seems like ancient history but "Billy Ball" was once considered one the most dangerous offense's around, I guess its hard to change when you have had so much success doing things a certain way. That and his lax recruiting attitude did him in.

carney2
July 10th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I don't know carney.. I was at those 2001 and 2002 games and they were awfully close. We can't seem to get any closer with our supposed 'better teams' nowadays. Every game this century and 2000, minus super-Colgate in 2003, has been close. So in other words, every year Tavani has been at the helm... close, but no cigar.

Fact is, we just have to show-up and stick it to 'em.. and hopefully get a couple of lucky bounces this time. Colgate can't waltz through us and they know that. We just need to focus more and create some luck.

13 touts that our weakened defense increases the odds of win 11, but I am confident that with the talent and returning experience from last year, we will be as good as the departing unit. As for 'gate, they have their graduation issues as well... I think along the DL or OL.. can't remember at the moment.. so we will see how each team has fared to that point in the season. Momentum could very well be a key heading into this game.

Those 2001 and 2002 games prove my point. Even against bad Lafayette teams, the godlike Dicky B. had trouble closing the door. Be ready to cry, 13. Be ready to cry.

I was also somewhat surprised by our Mr. 13's comments about the 2006 Lafayette defense. Like you, I think that this group is going to be pretty good - maybe a small notch beneath last year's group, but pretty good. I will even go out on a limb and say that by October 28th when these two teams meet, the growing pains will be a thing of the past and the Leopard defense will be the best in the PL. In any event, I think we can see where ol' 13 is headed with his yet to be "published" Lafayette write-up.

Fordham
July 10th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I think both of your teams should be as focused on the post season as Mr. Scott is.

Complete.

100%.

Focus.

colgate13
July 10th, 2006, 09:13 PM
First off, can't I guy have some tounge in cheek fun? I enjoy pulling out the streak in defense - if you notice I'm not the one who usually starts these things!

When Lafayette does finally beat Colgate again (streaks were meant to be broken, I know), it will be a day to relish in Pard land. I just think that Scott is going to have an even bigger year in 2006 than 2005. I also think that Colgate 2007 and 2008 are even brighter. Time will tell.

colgate13
July 10th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Regardless of how one can interpret one of the lesser used definition - it's still just pretty darn awkward, imo, so I posted away.

He's just eloquent I guess!

Pard4Life
July 11th, 2006, 08:28 AM
I think both of your teams should be as focused on the post season as Mr. Scott is.

Complete.

100%.

Focus.

The Pards are not that arrogant... Tavani would not allow it in the clubhouse, especially after the 2003 disaster. As for the fans, seasons like 2000, 2001 are clearly embedded in memory. I would just be elated to win 8 games this year... although we are far more capable than that... winning is something to savor because it can easily disappear.. i.e. late 1990s. Postseason was an added bonus and at the time, I was quite content to end the season with Hurt's grab.

Fordham
July 11th, 2006, 09:14 AM
The Pards are not that arrogant... Tavani would not allow it in the clubhouse, especially after the 2003 disaster. As for the fans, seasons like 2000, 2001 are clearly embedded in memory. I would just be elated to win 8 games this year... although we are far more capable than that... winning is something to savor because it can easily disappear.. i.e. late 1990s. Postseason was an added bonus and at the time, I was quite content to end the season with Hurt's grab.
pffffft! Scott's dead on. I'm actually making my hotel reservations for the post season right now but found that Ken_Z already had the best places booked.

Hey, it's the off season - we're all tied for first right now (glass 1/2 what?)

colgate13
July 11th, 2006, 10:31 AM
pffffft! Scott's dead on. I'm actually making my hotel reservations for the post season right now but found that Ken_Z already had the best places booked.

Hey, it's the off season - we're all tied for first right now (glass 1/2 what?)

That's the spirit! :D

Actually, I'm quite happy to see Scott take a little bit of the leadership mantle here. He will be our #1 star for possibly 3 years to come; if he is mature about it I think it will be an awesome ride for 'gate fans!

It may come across as arrogant to opponents, but I'm reading it more as focused confidence and - this in particular - I like his mentality that it's about the team getting it done. And, I think he's right too. Colgate's success this year isn't about Jordan Scott getting another fantastic season under his belt. Scott's not good enough (yet!) to carry the entire team. It's about the entire team coming together.

carney2
July 11th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Complete.

100%.

Focus.

That's not the way it is here west of the Hudson. Not pretending to speak for Colgate whose goals and ambitions are probably expressed by Mr. Scott, or Lehigh whose view of the world has been influenced by all of those playoff appearances in the last 10 or 15 years, but here in LeopardLand, the only game that counts is played on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. The rest are merely pre-season or post-season scrimmages; kind of bonus days for a little extra beer consumption.

Go...gate
July 11th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Even more important than a I-AA play-off game?

carney2
July 11th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Even more important than a I-AA play-off game?

Yes. Even more important than my next meal which, with me, is saying something.

Pard4Life
July 11th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Yes. Even more important than my next meal which, with me, is saying something.

I don't know carney... the game after Lafayette-Lehigh is the most important.. and the one following that and so on... we don't want to sound like the Harvard-Yale folks who view their game as more important than any playoff.. (one of the BS reasons they give for not participating in the playoffs).

As soon as we got an invite to the playoffs last year, the ASU game became the most important of the season. We want to be national champions and add another year after '1926'.

Pard4Life
July 11th, 2006, 01:00 PM
That's the spirit! :D

Actually, I'm quite happy to see Scott take a little bit of the leadership mantle here. He will be our #1 star for possibly 3 years to come; if he is mature about it I think it will be an awesome ride for 'gate fans!

It may come across as arrogant to opponents, but I'm reading it more as focused confidence and - this in particular - I like his mentality that it's about the team getting it done. And, I think he's right too. Colgate's success this year isn't about Jordan Scott getting another fantastic season under his belt. Scott's not good enough (yet!) to carry the entire team. It's about the entire team coming together.

Imagine if Lafayette-Colgate met in the I-AA 'Final Four'? It is not unrealistic.. given we are a two bid league if the cards fall right once more. A long-shot could have been Lafayette-Lehigh in the Final Four in 2004... two 'The Games' in one year, the first time since 1895? I think they would have to postpone finals for those festivities...

carney2
July 11th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I don't know carney... the game after Lafayette-Lehigh is the most important.. and the one following that and so on... we don't want to sound like the Harvard-Yale folks who view their game as more important than any playoff.. (one of the BS reasons they give for not participating in the playoffs).

As soon as we got an invite to the playoffs last year, the ASU game became the most important of the season. We want to be national champions and add another year after '1926'.

The Alumni Association will be sending you your separation papers within the week. Please return your diploma within 30 days.

colgate13
July 11th, 2006, 01:59 PM
The Alumni Association will be sending you your separation papers within the week. Please return your diploma within 30 days.

:p

I'm sensing a generational divide here. This occurs at Colgate too. The younger alums (I'd say those that graduated with all four years in I-AA and beyond generally) all think the playoffs are where it's at. The older often care more about making sure we play Princeton each year, and wonder why Syracuse and Rutgers can't be on the schedule again.

I bet carney is a late 60's/early 70's grad and P4L is a late 90's/2000's grad. Am I right????

Pard4Life
July 11th, 2006, 02:13 PM
:p

I'm sensing a generational divide here. This occurs at Colgate too. The younger alums (I'd say those that graduated with all four years in I-AA and beyond generally) all think the playoffs are where it's at. The older often care more about making sure we play Princeton each year, and wonder why Syracuse and Rutgers can't be on the schedule again.

I bet carney is a late 60's/early 70's grad and P4L is a late 90's/2000's grad. Am I right????

You are right about me, and I think carney himself said he was from that era. Playing Lehigh is important, as are Ivy teams like Princeton each year (I am not happy we are off for a year in 2008)... but winning the national championship is the primary focus.

p.s. post number 1000 :rotateh:

carney2
July 11th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Alright, P4L! Let's give it up for post number 1,000. It is now confirmed. You are a man with no life at all.*

Very astute, Mr. 13. I am a mid 60s grad, in fact. On my calendar, that Saturday before Thanksgiving is a red letter, one of the best days of the year. In fact, one of my daughters was scheduled to have her first child somewhere around the day of THE Game last year and I told her that if it happens, don't call, don't write, don't give us a thought at all. No one would be interested. Luckily, she clocked in a couple of days early. Most years, people come from all over, stay at my house and we party into the wee small hours regardless of the outcome. Last year, after Hurt's catch against the Squawks, it took a few days to build the required excitement and animosity for ASU. Somehow, it never did approach the same fever pitch attained the previous Saturday at 12:30 PM.

*Uh oh. Check my number over there to the left (499). I am one away from having only half a life remaining.

Go...gate
July 11th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Guess that means I fall in with Carney. I have seen every Princeton game since the eraly 1960's and would love an occasional match-up with Rutgers, Syracuse or Army. Only way that will happen again, however is if PL goes to scholarships.

carney2
July 11th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Guess that means I fall in with Carney. I have seen every Princeton game since the eraly 1960's and would love an occasional match-up with Rutgers, Syracuse or Army. Only way that will happen again, however is if PL goes to scholarships.

Your comrade, Mr. 13, feels that will be sooner than you think.

Just curious: why do you see all of the Princeton games?

Engineer91
July 11th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Imagine if Lafayette-Colgate met in the I-AA 'Final Four'? It is not unrealistic.. given we are a two bid league if the cards fall right once more. A long-shot could have been Lafayette-Lehigh in the Final Four in 2004... two 'The Games' in one year, the first time since 1895? I think they would have to postpone finals for those festivities...

I think the last time "The Game" was played twice in the same year was 1944 and then 1901 before that. However I did not do an exaustive search.

Go...gate
July 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I see nearly all of them (except when they conflict with a Colgate FB road trip to Hamilton, Easton, Bethlehem, etc.) . I have been a PU FB season tix holder for many many years. Why do I see them? PU is my "hometown" team, Colgate is my Alma Mater. Given a choice, however, I bleed maroon.

Pard4Life
July 12th, 2006, 09:40 AM
I think the last time "The Game" was played twice in the same year was 1944 and then 1901 before that. However I did not do an exaustive search.

You are right.. just glanced through the new online media guide and remember seeing that.

Pard4Life
July 12th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Alright, P4L! Let's give it up for post number 1,000. It is now confirmed. You are a man with no life at all.*

Very astute, Mr. 13. I am a mid 60s grad, in fact. On my calendar, that Saturday before Thanksgiving is a red letter, one of the best days of the year. In fact, one of my daughters was scheduled to have her first child somewhere around the day of THE Game last year and I told her that if it happens, don't call, don't write, don't give us a thought at all. No one would be interested. Luckily, she clocked in a couple of days early. Most years, people come from all over, stay at my house and we party into the wee small hours regardless of the outcome. Last year, after Hurt's catch against the Squawks, it took a few days to build the required excitement and animosity for ASU. Somehow, it never did approach the same fever pitch attained the previous Saturday at 12:30 PM.

*Uh oh. Check my number over there to the left (499). I am one away from having only half a life remaining.

I guess a more tell-tale sign of my graduation year is the ability to get hyped up for Lehigh and then quickly get hyped up for ASU. The turn around time is much less and easy.

Fordham
July 12th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I guess a more tell-tale sign of my graduation year is the ability to get hyped up for Lehigh and then quickly get hyped up for ASU. The turn around time is much less and easy.
ZING!