PDA

View Full Version : The Cost Of Winning............Interview with Coach Comegy

jstate83
July 9th, 2006, 02:15 PM
JSU FOOTBALL: COST OF WINNING (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060709/SPORTS030101/607090351/0/SPORTS)

He explain's the scholarship issue clearly.
Clear message to the players...................You gotta earn it.

Franks Tanks
July 9th, 2006, 04:45 PM
JSU FOOTBALL: COST OF WINNING (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060709/SPORTS030101/607090351/0/SPORTS)

He explain's the scholarship issue clearly.
Clear message to the players...................You gotta earn it.

I dont think operating in this fashion will be successful in the long run. Is coach gonna take away a scholarship if a player suffers a career ending injury? It wouldnt surpise me since oh well its "business". He may have had an incredible recruiting class this year but when a recruit is faced with going to Jackson State and knowing that he may get his aid cut if hes not a starter vs. going to a school who deos it the right way and will contunue funding at the same level unless they turn out to be a complete waste. It may allow for you guys to have dramatic improvement this year, but I would personally not want to play for this guy. Wheres the Loyalty?

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2006, 04:55 PM
The business of scholarships... :)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11274

thedesr
July 9th, 2006, 07:20 PM
I had made the same comment on the swacpage. As a parent, we really need to pay close attention to issues just like this. When a coach is sitting in our living room talking about how they need our sons and daughters, we need to take a quick look at the NCAA graduation rates. Coaches like this will always have low rates and eventually will have a hard time recruiting the good kids that will work hard, follow direction, improve, and give him 110% on the field. I would be really pissed if I got a phone call from my son who did everything ask, help the team win games, and his scholarship is cancelled or decreased. We as parent really need to ask more questions.

July 9th, 2006, 08:08 PM
scholarships are a year by year thing, parents need to understand that.

July 9th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I dont think operating in this fashion will be successful in the long run...It is the way it is. Kids are promised for one year and get reevaluated. No one gets a four/five year guarantee.

MACHIAVELLI
July 9th, 2006, 09:45 PM
It is the way it is. Kids are promised for one year and get reevaluated. No one gets a four/five year guarantee.

Yeah but when a kid wants to leave these schools send them through hell. It is too one sided. If a kid wants to leave a program he should be allowed to leave without the school/coach being vindictive. But hey it's not about the kids anyway.

PantherMan
July 9th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Yeah but when a kid wants to leave these schools send them through hell. It is too one sided. If a kid wants to leave a program he should be allowed to leave without the school/coach being vindictive. But hey it's not about the kids anyway.

Good point. It does seem a bit one sided. I mean re-evaluating is one thing if the kid isn't trying, but if he/she commits to a school, that school does owe them a little loyalty IMO.xcoffeex

DetroitFlyer
July 10th, 2006, 07:34 AM
In the PFL, football for the most part, is for the kids!! Maybe another reason that "non-scholarship" football should be encouraged to grow and thrive.... I know that my daughters academic scholarship at Dayton is contingent on her maintaining a 3.0 grade average. Is this different than expecting an athlete to perform at a certain level to maintain his/her scholarship? Interesting topic....

PantherMan
July 10th, 2006, 07:38 AM
In the PFL, football for the most part, is for the kids!! Maybe another reason that "non-scholarship" football should be encouraged to grow and thrive.... I know that my daughters academic scholarship at Dayton is contingent on her maintaining a 3.0 grade average. Is this different than expecting an athlete to perform at a certain level to maintain his/her scholarship? Interesting topic....

It is an interesting point on your daughter's scholarship contingency. I think it's easier for a typical student to transfer in/out than for an athlete probably; but it is still something to consider.xcoffeex

DUPFLFan
July 10th, 2006, 08:55 AM
It is an interesting point on your daughter's scholarship contingency. I think it's easier for a typical student to transfer in/out than for an athlete probably; but it is still something to consider.xcoffeex

Not really, witness the transfers that UNI and other teams have gotten this off season. It's not really that hard to transfer...

Detroit is correct. My son (who plays for Drake) has an academic scholarship (only part of the tuition) where he has to maintain a 3.0 GPA - otherwise he loses the scholarship.

I wonder how many of these "athlete" transfers would be around if all football were non-scholarship?

mikebigg
July 11th, 2006, 06:14 PM
That's why kids who are from Louisiana need to take advantage of the TOPS program. Coaches can't touch that money!

But I agree with Ralph. The scholarships are year to year and subject to a coach's discretion. I doubt if many coaches will mess with a kid who is being productive. I have no problem with it as long as the kid wasn't taken off scholarship due to a career ending injury. Now that would be classless.

Mr. C
July 13th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I'm sorry, but after reading the article, I can't accept what this coach is doing as an ethical approach to college football. It is just plain wrong to cut these kids' money, whether he recruited them or not. It sounds like win at all costs. And to think that if this kid wants to transfer somewhere else, he has to sit out a year (unless it is Division II or III).

jstate83
July 13th, 2006, 11:30 AM
I'm sorry, but after reading the article, I can't accept what this coach is doing as an ethical approach to college football. It is just plain wrong to cut these kids' money, whether he recruited them or not. It sounds like win at all costs. And to think that if this kid wants to transfer somewhere else, he has to sit out a year (unless it is Division II or III).

No it's not.

You have no idea what this program has suffered the last 3 years.
He came in and did just what everyone wanted................Lite a fire under these guy's and the community.

The day's of "just showing up for practice" is over.
He didn't cut anyone. He just told the players he welcomed them back, but EVERYONE has to earn their schollie.

The player's are not mad about it either.
The old and the new are working towards the same goal of turning this program back around.

If Comegy is doing this to win at all cost, then how would you describe what the "Old Ball Coach" Steve Spurrier did at South Carolina.

He flat out CUT/RELEASED people he deemed not up to standard.
Didn't hurt their recruiting..............won't hurt ours.

July 13th, 2006, 03:58 PM
... The day's of "just showing up for practice" is over...X _________________________ co-sign