PDA

View Full Version : Elanor Roosevelt on FCS football

Lehigh Football Nation
August 13th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Well, maybe not about FCS football per se, but I did find something fun that she wrote in one of her 7,000 "My Day" columns about intercollegiate sports that I thought stood the test of time. This was written in 1951.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/08/sundays-word-my-day.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LehighFootballNation+%28Lehig h+Football+Nation%29

Many boys who are working their way through a university have to work very hard. Many of them not only feel the pressure of meeting their own expenses, but sometimes things are happening at home which make it truly difficult not to have money to help out.

Perhaps we have allowed our college sports to become too commercialized. Big gambling was possible on the results of these games and so the gambler tempted the players. Intermural sports are good, but I think it will be a pity if, because of the weakness of a few boys, we wipe out all intercollegiate sports.

I have never liked the practice of the alumni subsidizing good players and thus attracting athletes to college regardless of their mental attributes. But I do realize that the GI Bill of Rights has enabled many young people to go to college who might otherwise not have had the opportunity for an education. Therefore, I am very anxious that some way be devised by which boys who show ability in school shall have an opportunity to attend college regardless of their financial status.

We cannot afford to waste brains in this country. They are becoming more important to us every day. And surely financial position should not bar young people from the education which can give them positions of leadership in our nation in the future.

So, to recap: Elanor Roosevelt - Friend of football scholarships! xthumbsupx

bobcathpdevil56
August 13th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Man LFN, spell her name right, Eleanor

Pard4Life
August 13th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Her views on the Academic Index and Verizon FIOs are unknown, however.

NHwildEcat
August 13th, 2012, 11:45 AM
What does she think about UFO's and Aliens?

Go...gate
August 13th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Eleanor Roosevelt was a national tresaure.