PDA

View Full Version : The Business of I-AA Scholarships: Jackson St

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Interesting read here on Comegy and how the "business of scholarships" is done at the I-AA level where partial scholarships are allowed. As we know, Comegy brought in that football-roster long recruiting class and this article explains how things broke down as it relates to the scholarships...

JSU FOOTBALL: Cost of Winning
# Scholarship shuffle part of Comegy's rebuilding plan
By David Brandt

If Jackson State's Tomarcio Levy didn't fully grasp the economics of college football before last spring, he does now.

That's because a few months ago the new JSU coaching staff hit the junior defensive back with some difficult news.

Levy was welcomed back to the team for this year- but was told his scholarship would be cut by 33 percent. Levy said his aid dropped from about 75 percent of expenses to 50 percent.

It wasn't a moment he remembers fondly, but the Callaway High School graduate decided to stay at JSU.

"Any time you get your money taken from you, it isn't fun," Levy said. "But I tried to be a big boy about it. Maybe this will make me better and I'll earn my money back. The new coaches are winners and I have to respect that, cause we didn't do too much winning last year."

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060709/SPORTS030101/607090351/0/SPORTS

mikebigg
July 11th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Interesting read here on Comegy and how the "business of scholarships" is done at the I-AA level where partial scholarships are allowed. As we know, Comegy brought in that football-roster long recruiting class and this article explains how things broke down as it relates to the scholarships...

JSU FOOTBALL: Cost of Winning
# Scholarship shuffle part of Comegy's rebuilding plan
By David Brandt

If Jackson State's Tomarcio Levy didn't fully grasp the economics of college football before last spring, he does now.

That's because a few months ago the new JSU coaching staff hit the junior defensive back with some difficult news.

Levy was welcomed back to the team for this year- but was told his scholarship would be cut by 33 percent. Levy said his aid dropped from about 75 percent of expenses to 50 percent.

It wasn't a moment he remembers fondly, but the Callaway High School graduate decided to stay at JSU.

"Any time you get your money taken from you, it isn't fun," Levy said. "But I tried to be a big boy about it. Maybe this will make me better and I'll earn my money back. The new coaches are winners and I have to respect that, cause we didn't do too much winning last year."

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060709/SPORTS030101/607090351/0/SPORTS

It's not uncommon... Comegy's did this at Tuskegee and Doug Williams also implemented a similar approach at Grambling.

Cap'n Cat
July 12th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Interesting................