PDA

View Full Version : GSU

seantaylor
August 12th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Wondering where others think we end up this season. I, a homer by trade, think this is by far the best team in the Monken era. We actually have elite speed at the QB position to take pressure off our other skill guys.

seantaylor
August 12th, 2012, 05:01 AM
A funny intro, though. As GSU fans we have heard how our "liberal, yankee" president has held us back for years, and is hated by all faculty. Irony strikes a blow. Our new president, who finally canned a borderline retard, which I love to death, is catching a ton of heat from the faculty. I have a personal connection to said faculty, and know this is true, but I still give our Prez some cred for firing Sammy. We are always going to be good and revered, especially now Sammy is done.

344Johnson
August 12th, 2012, 05:29 AM
In my opinion, from what I have gathered, Jaybo Shaw was extremely intelligent as far as the option went. Just because a guy is faster doesn't make him a better quarterback as far as the option goes. This is not NCAA '13. Just because a guy is fast, doesn't mean he can make a good read or make a good throw.

Regardless, I expect good things from Georgia Southern. Though for some odd reason, I expect Appy to win the SoCon.

penguinpower
August 12th, 2012, 08:19 AM
My personal opinion is that it is going to be more difficult for GSU to win the NC because so many teams run spread offenses that are similar to the wishbone, veer, triple option...... whatever you want to call it. As a result, the better defenses are more prepared and play more disciplined because they have seen this before. Today's defenses are sized differently too. The DE's are longer and more mobile and the LB's are faster. The DL in many cases is lighter and more mobile. I remember when Youngstown played GSU in 1999 for the NC, given they were a little thin on defense, but they had no idea how to defend the triple option. It was the first time that team had seen that type of offense .....and Adrian Peterson was a beast.......but I just think that the defenses are built more to stop this type of attack than a decade ago. The better defenses back then were designed to stop pro-style offenses that ran an occasional option play with reduced pass attempts.

I am not saying that GSU is not an elite team, I am simply stating that I believe today's defenses are better suited to stop this type of offense when playing equally matched teams. Finally, one other issue that hurts them is the fact that the time of possession usually favors the team running the wishbone because they chew up so much clock in the run heavy offense, as a result it makes it more difficult for them to come back from large scoring deficits as the game wears on.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 12th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Make a lot of noise then drop a heartbreaker in the semis...that seems to be the trend.

Apphole
August 12th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I expect App to win the SoCon but to take a big L in Stinkboro.

PaladinFan
August 12th, 2012, 08:24 AM
My personal opinion is that it is going to be more difficult for GSU to win the NC because so many teams run spread offenses that are similar to the wishbone, veer, triple option...... whatever you want to call it. As a result, the better defenses are more prepared and play more disciplined because they have seen this before. I remember when Youngstown played GSU in 1999 for the NC, given they were a little thin on defense, but they had no idea how to defend the triple option. It was the first time that team had seen that type of offense .....and Adrian Peterson was a beast.......but I just think that the defenses are built more to stop this type of attach than a decade ago. The better defenses back then were designed to stop pro-style offenses that ran an occasional option play with reduced pass attempts.

I am not saying that GSU is not an elite team, I am simply stating that I believe today's defenses are better suited to stop this type of offense when play equally matched teams. Finally, one other issue that hurst them is the fact that the time of possession usually favors the team running the wishbone because they chew up so much clock int he run heavey offense, as a result it makes it more difficult for them to come back from large scoring deficits as the game wears on.

You make a good point. I think even the most stalwart GSU fan would admit that at least some of their great success is attributed to the fact that teams simply could not prepare for their offense in a week. Now that SoCon teams see the offense at least three times a season, that may change. They will win games on talent, but may not as many games on talent + the element of surprise.

EKU-n-GSU
August 12th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Having a vested interest in the team now I watch them closely, and expect that they have the talent to take the SoCon this year and again go deep in the playoffs. I do believe that this team is Monken's most talented end-to-end, but he's only been at the helm 2 yrs prior and that's really too short a time to proclaim the best of the best. Could we go 10-0 prior to our little payday in Athens in November, certainly. I doubt we will if for no other reason than the youth on the roster. Regardless of the outcome of this season we are most definitely loaded for the next three.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 12th, 2012, 09:33 AM
In my opinion, from what I have gathered, Jaybo Shaw was extremely intelligent as far as the option went. Just because a guy is faster doesn't make him a better quarterback as far as the option goes. This is not NCAA '13. Just because a guy is fast, doesn't mean he can make a good read or make a good throw.

Regardless, I expect good things from Georgia Southern. Though for some odd reason, I expect Appy to win the SoCon.

Not going to guarantee we will be better on offense.

But I can tell you what App and NDSU did on defense against us (just covering the dive and pitch man) won't work this year. Do that to us this year and you will get torched.

eaglewraith
August 12th, 2012, 10:54 AM
You make a good point. I think even the most stalwart GSU fan would admit that at least some of their great success is attributed to the fact that teams simply could not prepare for their offense in a week. Now that SoCon teams see the offense at least three times a season, that may change. They will win games on talent, but may not as many games on talent + the element of surprise.

We win games because yes, we have better players. But we also won the games we did last year because we executed better than those other teams. That makes a bigger difference.

You said it yourself after the game with Furman, you guys didn't exactly play bad. It's just we were that good. Although honestly, offensive gameplan lost that game for you. Running the ball straight ahead at us was a bad idea, should have had Forcier rolling out and throwing downfield....that would have burned us bad.

eaglewraith
August 12th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I expect App to win the SoCon but to take a big L in Stinkboro.

Good luck. We're looking for blood.

eaglewraith
August 12th, 2012, 10:56 AM
A funny intro, though. As GSU fans we have heard how our "liberal, yankee" president has held us back for years, and is hated by all faculty. Irony strikes a blow. Our new president, who finally canned a borderline retard, which I love to death, is catching a ton of heat from the faculty. I have a personal connection to said faculty, and know this is true, but I still give our Prez some cred for firing Sammy. We are always going to be good and revered, especially now Sammy is done.

Speaking of which, you've been absent from the weekly streams on Sunday so I haven't had a chance to say anything to you about it. Since Sam got canned, you donated to the Athletic Foundation yet?

blueballs
August 12th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Well...... The speed laden offense was held to a mere 2 FG's in a scrimmage yesterday by a defense that allowed at least 35 points in 3 of its last 4 games in 2011.

GSU has some talent to be sure, but breaking in a new QB, replacing 2 all conference o-linemen, and patching up a very porous pass defense won't be easy.

Sept 8 looms with a big road conference game in Charleston against a hungry, motivated, well coached team. I'll be extremely happy just to win that one.

I can see anything from 7-4 to 10-1... With so much youth anything can happen but it wouldn't surprise me to see them be very dangerous come playoff time.

mountaineer in Cane Land
August 12th, 2012, 01:51 PM
there are alot of questions about several of the top teams in the SC, can GS find a qb, and a secondary? Can App find an offensive line and defensive tackle? Can Chatt finally win a big game against the big 3 and find an offensive line? To be honest, no one is talking about Wofford, but they might have the most complete team, not the most talanted, but the least question marks. I think they will lose in Boone, but not sure, other than GS, they will lose to anyone else in the SC.