PDA

View Full Version : Honey Badger to McNeese State?

smallcollegefbfan
August 10th, 2012, 08:18 PM
The websites are saying he is trying to get in there. He would be a big addition.

For those who might wonder on his NFL stock. I'd rate him as a 4th-5th round prospect right now because of the lack of size, character concerns, and the fact he is more of a nickel guy or special teams ace than a #1 or #2 CB in the NFL.

Nickels
August 10th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Really? This is the first I've heard about it...

Seriously though, are their any sources not connected with last years kicker's twitter post? He seems like a silly source for this information.

smallcollegefbfan
August 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Really? This is the first I've heard about it...

Seriously though, are their any sources not connected with last years kicker's twitter post? He seems like a silly source for this information.

Was it already posted somewhere else on here? I missed it.

The Cats
August 10th, 2012, 08:28 PM
The websites are saying he is trying to get in there. He would be a big addition.

For those who might wonder on his NFL stock. I'd rate him as a 4th-5th round prospect right now because of the lack of size, character concerns, and the fact he is more of a nickel guy or special teams ace than a #1 or #2 CB in the NFL.

Where else would he go?

Nickels
August 10th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Was it already posted somewhere else on here? I missed it.
It was being discussed a little bit in the other honey badger thread, though I was really commenting on the massive amount of coverage online and on TV. I don't think Josh Jasper has ever been so popular...

Bam
August 10th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Houston newspaper reporting that his tweet stated he IS going to mcneese?

Squealofthepig
August 10th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Linky:

http://fansided.com/2012/08/10/report-tyrann-mathieu-transferring-to-mcneese-state-university/

coover
August 11th, 2012, 03:39 AM

Whoops, spelling police here. The correct spelling is addiction!

ngineer
August 11th, 2012, 08:49 AM
He should go straight into pro football. If he's flunking drug tests at LSU, how can he be eligible to play for any other institution of "higher" education? SMH.

FormerPokeCenter
August 11th, 2012, 09:03 AM
LSU hasn't officially said what he was dismissed for....other than breaking team and university rules...z

They didn't say NCAA rules and they weren't specific. Last year, he tested positive for the synthetic weed, which was a violation of team rules and - at the time - not illegal...

I don't know what he did this time, but as I understand it, he's transferring as an eligible athlete...

As to sources, I dunno...everybody I know at MSU is being tight lipped, NOT answering texts and FB messages...Apparently the team has been instructed not to answer any questions from the media, which kinda cinches it for me....

and then there's this, ostensibly taken at the McNeese fieldhouse last night....

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s480x480/558420_505623656120492_2111465545_n.jpg

The Eagle's Cliff
August 11th, 2012, 09:07 AM
He should go straight into pro football. If he's flunking drug tests at LSU, how can he be eligible to play for any other institution of "higher" education? SMH.

I'm with you. Transferring for more playing time is one thing, but being dismissed from a team for violating team rules should mean sitting out a year no matter what.

Nickels
August 11th, 2012, 09:09 AM

For the upteenth time he failed a team drug test not an ncaa drug test and it's not like the pros dont test either. IMO id rather have Tyrann on my team rather than Michael Behe as one of my professors :D...

crossfire07
August 11th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I'm with you. Transferring for more playing time is one thing, but being dismissed from a team for violating team rules should mean sitting out a year no matter what.
GSU does not have that policy so why should others? They do not dismiss kids for violating team rules.And PLEASE don't give me that crap that no GSU kid has ever violated a team rule.I am so sick of the HIGH MORAL ROAD posters like to take when it involves someone other than their own.

The Eagle's Cliff
August 11th, 2012, 11:00 AM
GSU does not have that policy so why should others? They do not dismiss kids for violating team rules.And PLEASE don't give me that crap that no GSU kid has ever violated a team rule.I am so sick of the HIGH MORAL ROAD posters like to take when it involves someone other than their own.

Of course GSU and most schools have had kids dismissed for violation of team rules (which can mean most anything). I believe in giving kids a second chance, but failing drug tests and criminal convictions should be a minimum one season suspension from playing. If this kid fails a drug test at LSU and immediately gets a scholarship and plays ball at an FCS school, what lesson has he learned?

I'm not trying to say GSU is "better" than anyone else, but I KNOW Jeff Monken passed on Washaun Ealy and Dexter Moody so I'm sure he would pass on a kid who failed a drug test as well - and I'm proud he has that integrity.

smallcollegefbfan
August 11th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I personally would not take an SEC player who got dismissed unless it was from Georgia. Richt dismisses much faster than most of the others so I would be more inclined to give one of his a chance.

If a player is dismissed from Florida, Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU, South Carolina, or Auburn I don't want him. Those programs give players literally 5 plus chances.

crossfire07
August 11th, 2012, 11:51 AM
There is not an FCS school in this country that will turn away a kid that was the best defensive player in the nation last year and in New York at the Heisman awards.You are so nieve if you think your school would.College football is a business, not a test of who has the best morals.Let us drug test your football players for pot or monitor their drinking in the off season and see how many you won't have coming back because of the way you view things.

smallcollegefbfan
August 11th, 2012, 12:02 PM
There is not an FCS school in this country that will turn away a kid that was the best defensive player in the nation last year and in New York at the Heisman awards.You are so nieve if you think your school would.College football is a business, not a test of who has the best morals.Let us drug test your football players for pot or monitor their drinking in the off season and see how many you won't have coming back because of the way you view things.

He was not the best defensive player in the nation last year. I know he won the award but we all know good and well that many of those voting on awards vote purely on stats or hype. He was hype driven last year because he made 4 or 5 big plays in big games for the #1 ranked team. Had he done what he did in the MAC or C-USA or even for Vanderbilt there would not have been nearly half the hype.

With that said, yes I don't know of a fan base who would turn the guy down but there are head coaches who would. Would I be all for taking one guy like him? Yes. There would be stipulations. He would have to prove to me he will work hard and be a team player, stay for two years (unless he got a first or second round grade from advisory committee), and he would know that the first time he tested positive for a drug he was gone. I would want to test him every 3 weeks until the season was over, or fairly often within the NCAA rules of testing (if there are any). If he could agree to those terms I would love to have him. I'm big on character and I would not sacrifice my team's character for one player, especially when I saw what happened with North Alabama last year. Jenkins didn't make them much better and his tape was not nearly as good either. My prediction is that TM does better than Janzen Jackson did but I don't think he wins the Payton or Buchanan Award and I would not project him as a first-team All-American on defense. Players like him and Janoris Jenkins have proven they transfer down to flash that they have elite talent but will miss tackles, get burned some, and will only stick around for the minimum time because they have the NFL on their mind.

Since I mentioned Janoris Jenkins I'll tell you what he did last year in case you did not know. The SEC stud who was an FBS All-American was a second-team All-Gulf South Conference player who dominated in the return game early and always made 1-2 big plays in a game but for 75% of the season pretty much shut it down and was just out there on the field. He would take poor angles, miss tackles, etc. and I was told by my NFL sources that many teams took him off their boards and very few had him in the 2nd or 3rd round because of his character issues.

As far as what he does for McNeese, I think he improves you guys but I don't know if he makes you a national title contender or anything. I had you just outside of the top 25 and I think he puts you in there but he doesn't make you guys a favorite to win the SLC over SFA or SHSU. I think he just helps close the gap between you and SFA now making you a team I would say is more likely to finish 2nd in the SLC.

crossfire07
August 11th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Hype.Isn't that what the Heisman is based on? Was RG3 really the best college player? Like I said, college football is a business and if a coach can find a way to make his team better, he will.When you find a reference to a coach saying he would not take a player of this caliber, please post it.

As for what he would or would not do for McNeese really does not matter since he is not a Cowboy.

smallcollegefbfan
August 11th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Hype.Isn't that what the Heisman is based on? Was RG3 really the best college player? Like I said, college football is a business and if a coach can find a way to make his team better, he will.When you find a reference to a coach saying he would not take a player of this caliber, please post it.

As for what he would or would not do for Mcneese really does not matter since he is not a Cowboy.

I have not seen anything on the internet yet but I'm sure most coaches will keep quiet on it because nobody wants to run their mouth saying they don't want him and risk him then using that as fuel to shut them up by going off in a game.

Not a Cowboy yet. It sounds like he will be by Tuesday, if everything goes well.

McNeese75
August 11th, 2012, 12:16 PM
McNeese Confirms Visit

http://www.kplctv.com/category/4385/sports

smallcollegefbfan
August 11th, 2012, 12:22 PM
McNeese Confirms Visit

http://www.kplctv.com/category/4385/sports

Hard not to when a photo surfaces of him in the field house lol. Seriously though, they said exactly what they can say right now. Once his paperwork is done I would bet they release a statement announcing he is there once he moves in there. My guess is that he is a done deal by Tuesday unless something comes up and he won't be eligible there and then decides to go the NAIA route. Not sure what would make him ineligible at McNeese though?

kdinva
August 11th, 2012, 12:37 PM
There is not an FCS school in this country that will turn away a kid that was the best defensive player in the nation last year.....

So Mathieu would not have any issues with participating in VMI's Rat Line, or The Citadel's Knob Year?

smallcollegefbfan
August 11th, 2012, 12:42 PM
So Mathieu would not have any issues with participating in VMI's Rat Line, or The Citadel's Knob Year?

Those schools completely slipped my mind. I know he could not go to VMI. If he did he wouldn't last a month because of the Rat Line.

I personally don't think any coaches are going to come out and say they would not take him but I think behind closed doors there are about 20 schools or individual head coaches who would say no up front.

McNeese72
August 11th, 2012, 01:12 PM
He came, he talked with the coaches, and he went home. No decisions made yet.

Below, McNeese Press Release:

LAKE CHARLES - After receiving permission from LSU, McNeese State head football coach Matt Viator met with former Tiger All-American cornerback and 2011 Heisman Trophy finalist Tyrann Mathieu late Friday evening at the Jack V. Doland Athletic Field House. Mathieu then returned to his hometown of New Orleans late Friday night.

“I received a call from Tyrann after practice on Friday that he wanted to come and meet with us,” said Viator. “We contacted LSU to get permission to talk to him and he arrived on campus later that night. We visited for an hour-and-a-half and then he went back home to New Orleans.”

To McNeese’s knowledge, Mathieu has not made a decision on his intentions and there will be no other comments from McNeese about the issue at this time.

If I know Matt, he probably told how it would have to be if he was to come here. The Honey Badger had to go home and think about it.

Doc

GAD
August 11th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Well its up to him now

smallcollegefbfan
August 11th, 2012, 02:16 PM
He came, he talked with the coaches, and he went home. No decisions made yet.

Below, McNeese Press Release:

LAKE CHARLES - After receiving permission from LSU, McNeese State head football coach Matt Viator met with former Tiger All-American cornerback and 2011 Heisman Trophy finalist Tyrann Mathieu late Friday evening at the Jack V. Doland Athletic Field House. Mathieu then returned to his hometown of New Orleans late Friday night.

“I received a call from Tyrann after practice on Friday that he wanted to come and meet with us,” said Viator. “We contacted LSU to get permission to talk to him and he arrived on campus later that night. We visited for an hour-and-a-half and then he went back home to New Orleans.”

To McNeese’s knowledge, Mathieu has not made a decision on his intentions and there will be no other comments from McNeese about the issue at this time.

If I know Matt, he probably told how it would have to be if he was to come here. The Honey Badger had to go home and think about it.

Doc

Just like I said before that I would have stipulations, I figured Matt has them too. I think any coach who actually cares about his program and players would have stipulations on a transfer like this. Hopefully TM can abide by the rules and stands by them. I'm sure if he says he will do something and doesn't, like Jackson did on staying two years, it might sour him on future transfers.

Sandlapper Spike
August 11th, 2012, 06:26 PM
The coach needs to be careful about what he says publicly about Mathieu. Could run into some minor NCAA violations there.

UNIFanSince1983
August 11th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I want him at UNI, but that isn't going to happen. Good for McNeese!

Sammy94
August 11th, 2012, 07:26 PM
If Honey Combs does end up at McNeese, we should expect a record crowd at Bowers. I think the tables have now turned and our guys are the ones circling that game on the calendar.

BluBengal07
August 11th, 2012, 07:30 PM
"Mathieu also is considering Jackson State and Prairie View A&M after ruling out Southern because he wants to leave Baton Rouge, La., The Times-Picayune reported."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8259250/tyrann-mathieu-options-include-mcneese-state-source

might as well state all of the facts.... just saying.

McNeese72
August 11th, 2012, 08:01 PM
The coach needs to be careful about what he says publicly about Mathieu. Could run into some minor NCAA violations there.

Matt has said squat about Mathieu other than what was released in the above press release. And that was Mathieu requested to talk to Matt. Matt got permission from LSU to do so, they talked, and then Mathieu went back home to New Orleans.

Doc

crossfire07
August 11th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Someone please explain to me why someone has to get permission from LSU to talk to him if they have released him?

Nickels
August 11th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Someone please explain to me why someone has to get permission from LSU to talk to him if they have released him?
I keep thinking the same exact thing, its like "he cant get married he didnt get permission from his ex-wife"

BEAR
August 11th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Rumor is Michael Dyer and the HoneyBadger are both headed to UCA.......

wait for it........

wait ............for......................it........... ..........xwhistlex xliarx

Sammy94
October 26th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Its a good thing for the SLC nobody picked up this idiot. How stupid can you be?

deez_na
October 26th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Why would he want to go to Mcneese state anyways?

NoDak 4 Ever
October 26th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Why would he want to go to Mcneese state anyways?

Conventional wisdom would say that it's just down the road from Baton Rouge and he could play again.

deez_na
October 26th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Conventional wisdom would say that it's just down the road from Baton Rouge and he could play again.

Well yeah i know but just seems like it would be fun to atleast play somewhere that has a solid team

blueballs
October 26th, 2012, 11:04 AM
The only place this "honey badger" is going is to jail or the back end of a trash truck...

gsu2583
October 26th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Ever watch your future disappear..... ON WEED?

RabidRabbit
October 26th, 2012, 12:37 PM
This has been all the talk radio @WWL here in New Orleans can go over. Honey Badger does what he wants, and hell with the consequences.

As much $$ tossed down the drain as anybody that has gone before him. Sad guy.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 26th, 2012, 12:44 PM
This has been all the talk radio @WWL here in New Orleans can go over. Honey Badger does what he wants, and hell with the consequences.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/637/Honey-Badger-Dont-Care.jpg

Bisonoline
October 26th, 2012, 02:02 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/637/Honey-Badger-Dont-Care.jpg

I could never understand all of the fuss over this kid last year. I watched a game the Brent Musburger was calling and I thought Musburger was going to french kiss this kids ***.

LehighU11
October 26th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I could never understand all of the fuss over this kid last year. I watched a game the Brent Musburger was calling and I thought Musburger was going to french kiss this kids ***.

Brent Musburger: the only broadcaster worse than Joe Buck.

UNIFanSince1983
October 26th, 2012, 02:11 PM

If he was more talented he would get more chances. Just look at Janoris Jenkins. Honey Badger isn't half the corner Jenkins is though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Brent Musburger: the only broadcaster worse than Joe Buck.

Joe Buck would be offended....

But seriously, you think no one is watching you now that you aren't on the team this year? Glad we prob wont see him play another important game in his life.... Some people really don't deserve another chance....

ngineer
October 26th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Heck, Sports Illustrated has him on the over this week with a huge article..what a waste of ink and paper...I almost feel like canceling the subscription for putting such attention on him.

GD84
October 27th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Him and Jefferson I have never been able to stomach, on and off the field. Outside of being a UA fan, I am a Tennessee and SEC fan. These two are and will always be a joke.