PDA

View Full Version : University of Dayton Football

DetroitFlyer
July 7th, 2006, 07:27 AM
http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/070706aaa.html

Nice writeup on our captains for 2006. Keep an eye on both John Hoppe and Kevin Hoyng, two ot the bright stars in 1-AA! Our entire starting defense is back from last season which should bode well. The round robin format in the PFL this year will be very interesting and it is possible that the game in San Diego on 11/11/06 might determine who plays in the Gridiron Classic against the NEC Champion. Speaking of the NEC, I checked the data on how much Albany spent on football in the 7/1/04 to 6/30/05 reporting period. I'm assuming that during this time, Albany was offering the equivalent of 30 scholarships or so. Yeah, I know they were need based, but from what I have seen and read about the NEC, the move to 30 schollys was not going to cost more for teams like Albany that were already providing this level of aid in a different form.... Maybe not true, but that is what I have read.... At any rate, it was interesting to me that Albany, who might have been providing the equivalent amount of aid to equal 30 schollys or so, spent $738,724.00 on football. In the same time frame, "non-scholarship" Dayton spent $940,461 on football.... If money spent is any indication of success, a Gridiron Classic featuring Dayton and Albany could be a very competitve game!

OL FU
July 7th, 2006, 07:34 AM
UD had its school-record 29th straight winning season, extending the Flyers' school record. That ties Dayton with Florida State with the longest such streak among Division I football-playing schools

Whose Florida State:confused:

Nice streak:nod:

Dane96
July 7th, 2006, 08:38 AM
http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/070706aaa.html

Nice writeup on our captains for 2006. Keep an eye on both John Hoppe and Kevin Hoyng, two ot the bright stars in 1-AA! Our entire starting defense is back from last season which should bode well. The round robin format in the PFL this year will be very interesting and it is possible that the game in San Diego on 11/11/06 might determine who plays in the Gridiron Classic against the NEC Champion. Speaking of the NEC, I checked the data on how much Albany spent on football in the 7/1/04 to 6/30/05 reporting period. I'm assuming that during this time, Albany was offering the equivalent of 30 scholarships or so. Yeah, I know they were need based, but from what I have seen and read about the NEC, the move to 30 schollys was not going to cost more for teams like Albany that were already providing this level of aid in a different form.... Maybe not true, but that is what I have read.... At any rate, it was interesting to me that Albany, who might have been providing the equivalent amount of aid to equal 30 schollys or so, spent $738,724.00 on football. In the same time frame, "non-scholarship" Dayton spent $940,461 on football.... If money spent is any indication of success, a Gridiron Classic featuring Dayton and Albany could be a very competitve game!

Not so much (not about the game). UA gave the equivalent of 8.4 scholarships last year, including some on dual sport athletes. We have a LONG way to go to hit 30.

Moreover, the logic makes little sense: UA's out of state tuition (worst case scenerio) is dwarfed by the value of a Dayton scholarship. UA, at the biggest end of the spectrum, could spend less than a million on scholarships and have a fully funded out of state team.

Comparing expenditures on scholarships makes little sense in that regard.

UAalum72
July 7th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Not so much (not about the game). UA gave the equivalent of 8.4 scholarships last year, including some on dual sport athletes. We have a LONG way to go to hit 30.
I thought we had a few more than that - at least the upper teens. Albany has 8+ for the incoming freshman class.

Dane96
July 7th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Nope...we will be at, if I remember correct, something like 12 scholarships split over 20 guys this year.

DUPFLFan
July 7th, 2006, 11:30 AM
The round robin format in the PFL this year will be very interesting and it is possible that the game in San Diego on 11/11/06 might determine who plays in the Gridiron Classic against the NEC Champion.

DF - don't forget your old friends from Des Moines coming to town on 10/28:smiley_wi

DetroitFlyer
July 7th, 2006, 12:55 PM
DUPFLFan:

I think this might be the most interesting season in the PFL in a long time. "Everyone" is picking San Diego to repeat as the champion, but aside from the Dayton win, at Dayton, SD struggled with both Drake and Morehead State last season. With Davidson improving, I am expecting at least a couple of upsets. I think that the race is wide open and SD, Drake, Dayton or MSU could be the champion. One thing is certain, I do not have Drake down as an easy win for my Flyers.... I am hoping to be at the game as I think my son's soccer season will be over by then. Are you coming down on the Drake bus? It would be nice to see the visitors side full when Drake comes to town. I was suprised at how many fans San Diego brought to Dayton last season. Hopefully, Drake can do better. After you guys win that season opener at the new stadium, our victory over Drake will be even more impressive.... Hmmmm..... I remember saying something similar about San Diego last year concerning Yale and Princeton, and they came into Welcome Stadium and kicked our bums.... At any rate, it should be an exciting year in the PFL.

DUPFLFan
July 7th, 2006, 01:37 PM
DF - I will be at the game but driving down with friends. With #1 son starting, we attend all the Drake games.

Hopefully, who ever the new quarterback is can throw for more that 25 yards against SanDiego and for Dayton - we hold on to the football...

DetroitFlyer
July 8th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Very cool that you go to see your son play every game! I hope you enjoy your trip to UD and the only bad thing is the loss....:) If you have the chance, walk the campus. As an alum, I am very impressed with how much UD has improved since I graduated a few years back.... I have never been to Drake, maybe next season. I'm taking the family out to San Diego this year to see the UD/San Diego game. I would like to start making at least one trip a year if I can. My son plays soccer for his junior high team in the fall and of course every game is on a Saturday.... Makes it a bit hard to get to the football games, but early or late in the season is a possibility. I hoping that Dayton wins the PFL and Saint Francis University of PA wins the NEC. My brother is a SFUP grad and I have been to the campus before. It would be great to have the first Gridiron Classic at SFUP.

PMB4Life
July 9th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Drake takes the PFL by storm. They finish 9-2 (one of those losses to UNI of course) and make it to the Gridiron Classic. BOOYAH.

On the other hand, I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.