PDA

View Full Version : The Southland Conference Sound

ursus arctos horribilis
August 6th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Make your vote between the choices listed as to what you think best represents this conference. In case of any close races in the voting or something odd that conference's membership will be given special consideration in the vote. This is the first of the AQ conferences going up and I will put up a new one each day or two.

Nominations:

FormerPokeCenter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL--lpFTOsQ&feature=related

SFA 93

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBOuqyqmtJk&feature=player_embedded

To vote on the other conferences that are up:

The Big Sky (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?111342-Vote-The-Big-Sky-Confernce-Sound)

The CAA (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?111517-The-Colonial-Athletic-Association-Confernce-Sound)

The MEAC (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?111630-The-MEAC-Sound)

The MVFC (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?111824-The-Missouri-Valley-Football-Conference-Sound)

Nickels
August 6th, 2012, 06:27 PM
KOL FTW...

BisonFan02
August 6th, 2012, 07:01 PM
No Cowboys from Hell?.....:(

TheRevSFA
August 9th, 2012, 10:12 AM
It should be KOL...not everyone in the SLC is a coon ***.

Sammy94
August 9th, 2012, 10:39 AM
+1

BisonHype!
August 9th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Cajun rap... wow

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2012, 11:10 AM
It should be KOL...not everyone in the SLC is a coon ***.

+1

Well you get what you get when you don't participate. I stated more than once that with the rich and deep history of music in the SLC area it was utterly amazing at the lack of effort you ****s made in picking something that was a good represetative. So much classic music and the only reason it isn't up because of apathy on your parts.

Jesus Christ you could have picked two or three groups from the Austin Dorritos festival and been better off.

It's pathetic, but it's what y'all gave me so the blame lies with the SLC fans.

TheRevSFA
August 9th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Well you get what you get when you don't participate. I stated more than once that with the rich and deep history of music in the SLC area it was utterly amazing at the lack of effort you ****s made in picking something that was a good represetative. So much classic music and the only reason it isn't up because of apathy on your parts.

Jesus Christ you could have picked two or three groups from the Austin Dorritos festival and been better off.

It's pathetic, but it's what y'all gave me so the blame lies with the SLC fans.

Yeah..to be fair my pick would have been the Rednex version of Cotton Eye Joe.

In all seriousness..I had something to post..and forgot. Shame on me..I know.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Yeah..to be fair my pick would have been the Rednex version of Cotton Eye Joe.

In all seriousness..I had something to post..and forgot. Shame on me..I know.

Hell it wasn't that tough brother. I could flip a few names off my dong and score better than this.

Here's one that came right off the tip. Hell I ain't from there and haven't put in an ounce of effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHnSj9Ls6pU

Sammy94
August 9th, 2012, 12:27 PM
my pick would have been the Rednex version of Cotton Eye Joe.

I must of missed the post to nominate. My pick would of been Tailgate or Country Thang by Colt Ford. I think there has to better options out there then this Cajun Mcneese fight song rap, so KOL has my vote.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Cotton Eyed Joe has been co-opted by the Griz for a very long time now and even the Rednex version is on that list so I'm gonna have to say we can't allow you have that one.

I do love the Rednex version.

TheRevSFA
August 9th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Cotton Eyed Joe has been co-opted by the Griz for a very long time now and even the Rednex version is on that list so I'm gonna have to say we can't allow you have that one.

I do love the Rednex version.

Just because the Grizzlies play it doesn't mean it is solely yours..

To be fair..I guess SFA could co-opt every Earth Wind and Fire song..since our band plays the crap out of them since Ronnie Laws is a SFA alum...well..okay he joined EWF and left before they got big.

Oh..did I mention Don Henley is an SFA alum too?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Just because the Grizzlies play it doesn't mean it is solely yours..

To be fair..I guess SFA could co-opt every Earth Wind and Fire song..since our band plays the crap out of them since Ronnie Laws is a SFA alum...well..okay he joined EWF and left before they got big.

Oh..did I mention Don Henley is an SFA alum too?

Sorry it does. It's ours as a whole no matter who redoes it.

If others want to copy us and use it in their stadiums now then so be it but it is ours.

Case closed.

McNeese75
August 9th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Sorry it does. It's ours as a whole no matter who redoes it.

If others want to copy us and use it in their stadiums now then so be it but it is ours.

Case closed.

xrolleyesx Does anyone see Montana mentioned anywhere here???? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton-Eyed_Joe

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2012, 11:01 PM
xrolleyesx Does anyone see Montana mentioned anywhere here???? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton-Eyed_Joe

No, it says it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s8zk64-skc

and in many other videos. I looked for McNeese but no hits. I looked for SFA and dd get a hit though...when they played at Montana and we rolled it out there.

BOOM!

TOASTED!:D

TheRevSFA
August 10th, 2012, 07:37 AM
No, it says it here.

and in many other videos. I looked for McNeese but no hits. I looked for SFA and dd get a hit though...when they played at Montana and we rolled it out there.

BOOM!

Damn

FormerPokeCenter
August 10th, 2012, 11:46 AM
While I like the Kings of Leon, that song doesn't capture the essence of the Southland Conference....you've got Lamar, McNeese, SELA and Nicholls who can EASILY identify with the Cajun Rap, and even Northwestern more closely identifies with it than with the KOL song...

I mean, yeah, the outliers in Huntsvegas and Naconowhere probably don't like the ebullience exemplified in the Cajun Rap song, but who voluntarily goes to Huntsvegas, anyway?

The Cajun Rap song is a lot more fun than the KOL song ;)

Here's a better video, once you get past the add for "Cowboy's"! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMigxnfJljY

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 12:27 PM
While I like the Kings of Leon, that song doesn't capture the essence of the Southland Conference....you've got Lamar, McNeese, SELA and Nicholls who can EASILY identify with the Cajun Rap, and even Northwestern more closely identifies with it than with the KOL song...

I mean, yeah, the outliers in Huntsvegas and Naconowhere probably don't like the ebullience exemplified in the Cajun Rap song, but who voluntarily goes to Huntsvegas, anyway?

The Cajun Rap song is a lot more fun than the KOL song ;)

Here's a better video, once you get past the add for "Cowboy's"! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMigxnfJljY

I think it's good as far as the Cajun and all that but you gotta admit doing that rap thing is pretty corny. There is a ton of good Zydeco out there that could have been thrown in along with all sorts of other stuff for a LA or TX perspective.

I specifically chose the version just so people wouldn't be turned off by the ad and tune out immediately but the version you put uporiginally is better quality but sitting through the ads can be trouble for some...including myself on occasion.:D

No disrespect intended FPC but I can see why it would be sort of an embarassment for some of the SLC guys.

FormerPokeCenter
August 10th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I think it's good as far as the Cajun and all that but you gotta admit doing that rap thing is pretty corny. There is a ton of good Zydeco out there that could have been thrown in along with all sorts of other stuff for a LA or TX perspective.

I specifically chose the version just so people wouldn't be turned off by the ad and tune out immediately but the version you put uporiginally is better quality but sitting through the ads can be trouble for some...including myself on occasion.:D

No disrespect intended FPC but I can see why it would be sort of an embarassment for some of the SLC guys.

Den dey gots no sense o' humor, dem! If you live on de Gulf coast, you gotta be able to laugh at yo self...

I suppose, in honor of Sam Houston, we could nominate "Jailhouse Rock" or that Johnny Cash song about being in prison....

I don't know what we could nominate for Stephen F. Austin outside of a Monty Python sketch! ;)

Don't let the Texas guys fool ya...they'd rather come tailgate and pass a good time wit us than dey would go anywhere else....

And the Arkansas guys are too busy courtin' cousins to worry about an SLC song! ;)

McNeese75
August 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM
No, it says it here.

BOOM!

Actually I think the song is pretty lame anyway so you can have it. I prefer the original country swing versions (and yes I know the other two nominees don't exactly tear the house down) lol

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Actually I think the song is pretty lame anyway so you can have it. I prefer the original country swing versions (and yes I know the other two nominees don't exactly tear the house down) lol

It is unlikely that there is a recorded version of this song that has not been played in WaGriz. They've played it every game for about 20 yrs. now it seems. There was a Bluegrass band set up and did a live version while on top of the Pressboxes on the W side of the stadium a few years back.

I wish I could find a clip of the very large dude that used to be in the front row of the Student Section dancing to it when it played. You would laugh your *** off. The big dude really got it moving to the tune, he was quite the showman.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Den dey gots no sense o' humor, dem! If you live on de Gulf coast, you gotta be able to laugh at yo self...

I suppose, in honor of Sam Houston, we could nominate "Jailhouse Rock" or that Johnny Cash song about being in prison....

I don't know what we could nominate for Stephen F. Austin outside of a Monty Python sketch! ;)

Don't let the Texas guys fool ya...they'd rather come tailgate and pass a good time wit us than dey would go anywhere else....

And the Arkansas guys are too busy courtin' cousins to worry about an SLC song! ;)

Who wouldn't want to party with you guys!? I don't even think that's in question.

Sammy94
August 10th, 2012, 01:56 PM
If its a tie, can we get new choices?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 02:04 PM
If its a tie, can we get new choices?

Nah, it takes a little effort to do some of this stuff and I like doing it and all but if there is little interest in making it happen the first time around then it really isn't worth it to me to run it over again.

Just sayin'.

This won't end up in a tie anyway I don't think.

Sammy94
August 10th, 2012, 02:15 PM
This won't end up in a tie anyway I don't think.

Unfortunately I agree. Those folks in the swamp know how to vote. Looks like it will be the McNeese fight song for us all.

SFA 93
August 10th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Maybe I got caught up more with what the video was showing than just the music, as the KOL video is more Influential in the region of the SLC than guy walking around the desert.

That KOL video is pretty much ever small town in the Ark-La-Tex region on a Friday night in the fall which dominates the SLC area.

But hey it's your show, pick what you like and go with it.

FormerPokeCenter
August 10th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I think you guys need to fix your signatures....according to the NCAA, there's a little problem with 1989, I think ;)

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I think you guys need to fix your signatures....according to the NCAA, there's a little problem with 1989, I think ;)

SFA played GSU in the 1989 NC game. They lost by 3 after being down pretty good at 1/2 time.

FormerPokeCenter
August 10th, 2012, 04:10 PM
SFA played GSU in the 1989 NC game. They lost by 3 after being down pretty good at 1/2 time.

Yes, but they used ineligible players, if memory serves me correctly and they had to vacate some wins.....or was that a different year?? ;)

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Yes, but they used ineligible players, if memory serves me correctly and they had to vacate some wins.....or was that a different year?? ;)

hmm, good question. I don''t know but someone will enlighten us.

TheRevSFA
August 10th, 2012, 04:39 PM

The NCAA ordered sfa to vacate because the coach violated rules by giving players jobs. At least I believe that was the issue however I cannot find solid info on it.

Regardless, SFA played in the NC. The NCAA, as much as it wishes it could, cannot turn back time nor do they have a time machine.

TheRevSFA
August 10th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I say we reopen the poll and I nominate la grange by zz top

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I say we reopen the poll and I nominate la grange by zz top

That would have been a beauty. Let's see who doesn't like it now though.xlolx

Sammy94
August 10th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I'm up for ZZ top

Nickels
August 10th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah I voted KOL based on default. I dont want that novelty coon-*** rubbish representing my conference, as a matter a fact I'm betting most people who voted for that garbage are just trying to stain our conferences image with ***** music. It's sabotage. I like KOL, specially their earlier stuff, its more southern rock as opposed to their new stuff which sounds more alternative but I don't think SLC when I hear it and their from Tennessee which has no SLC teams.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Yeah I voted KOL based on default. I dont want that novelty coon-*** rubbish representing my conference, as a matter a fact I'm betting most people who voted for that garbage are just trying to stain our conferences image with ***** music. It's sabotage. I like KOL, specially their earlier stuff, its more southern rock as opposed to their new stuff which sounds more alternative but I don't think SLC when I hear it and their from Tennessee which has no SLC teams.
I'd suggest doing more research...simple research. If you take away the names that are not SLC peops on those lists then the vote is still tied at 6-6 so that doesn't hold water.

SFA 93
August 10th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Actually originated in Talihina, Oklahoma where there is now Oral Roberts :)

Nickels
August 10th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I'd suggest doing more research...simple research. If you take away the names that are not SLC peops on those lists then the vote is still tied at 6-6 so that doesn't hold water.

How the hell are you looking at the names of the voters? I dont have that option.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 07:44 PM
How the hell are you looking at the names of the voters? I dont have that option.

You should. If you click view poll results then it lists the names under the bar as to who voted for it. I made the poll names "public" so you all could see them. Is that not the case for you?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 07:47 PM
It's definitely a public poll, I think you just aren't looking at it. It states right at the top of the poll "This poll will close on 08-13-2012 at 04:55 PM Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected. "

Nickels
August 10th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Im looking pretty damn hard
http://s15.postimage.org/xx1qa3n2j/poll.jpg
nothing below the ndsu banner (yuck btw) and above "reply to thread" is a link, not the 'View Poll Results", nothing..
Ive missed things this obvious before but i really dont think this ones on me...

FormerPokeCenter
August 10th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Im looking pretty damn hard
http://s15.postimage.org/xx1qa3n2j/poll.jpg
nothing below the ndsu banner (yuck btw) and above "reply to thread" is a link, not the 'View Poll Results", nothing..
Ive missed things this obvious before but i really dont think this ones on me...

Click on the 9 on the voter bar...that'll list which 9 people voted

Nickels
August 10th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Click on the 9 on the voter bar...that'll list which 9 people voted
AHHHHH HAH, Thanks. Man i miss some obvious stuff sometimes. Why didnt anyone give me that basic bit of info earlier? I guess theres no sabotage, just fellow SLC members with poor taste.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 08:22 PM
AHHHHH HAH, Thanks. Man i miss some obvious stuff sometimes. Why didnt anyone give me that basic bit of info earlier? I guess theres no sabotage, just fellow SLC members with poor taste.xlolx

I think I owned the board for at least 2 or 3 months before I figured it out so trust me, I know the shame all too well.

Sammy94
August 11th, 2012, 12:35 PM
We the recent events around the SLC, can I nominate Because I Got High - Afroman?

Sammy94
August 11th, 2012, 12:37 PM
With, not we.

BisonFan02
August 11th, 2012, 12:58 PM
We the recent events around the SLC, can I nominate Because I Got High - Afroman?

Can't. That song is reserved for JMU. :D

SFA 93
August 11th, 2012, 02:29 PM
ha-ha I never voted!

Sammy94
August 23rd, 2012, 09:46 AM
With the recent events around the SLC, can I nominate Because I Got High - Afroman?

Even though the honey badger went to rehab, rumor is that Tanner Brock LB from TCU is a new transfer at Sam. So I still like this nomination.

McTailGator
August 23rd, 2012, 12:56 PM
Cajun Rap Song is out simply because of the flag on the right side of the stage. No UL-Lafayette in my song. (;