PDA

View Full Version : Newsday reports SBU and Albany to CAA in football

Lehigh Football Nation
August 3rd, 2012, 09:12 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/stony-brook/sources-stony-brook-to-play-football-in-caa-after-2012-1.3881711

Stony Brook University will leave the Big South Conference in football after the 2012 season and join the Colonial Athletic Association, according to two people familiar with the move.

Albany, Stony Brook's longtime rival in the America East Conference for all other sports, also is headed to the CAA for football, the sources confirmed.

Schools need 75 percent of the CAA football membership to approve admission. A source said Stony Brook and Albany already have been confirmed.

The CAA would then have Stony Brook, Albany, Delaware, Villanova, New Hampshire, William & Mary, Richmond, James Madison, Maine and Towson as football members in 2013.

A news conference announcing the moves is expected next week, the sources said.

In the article, the Stony Brook source is saying that they are moving to the CAA in football only. Albany, however, did not say their specific plans.

So what does this mean?

Bogus Megapardus
August 3rd, 2012, 09:14 PM
So what does this mean?

That Newsday is a Long Island newspaper? Probably little more than that. They're just covering Stony Brook.

danefan
August 3rd, 2012, 09:22 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/stony-brook/sources-stony-brook-to-play-football-in-caa-after-2012-1.3881711

Stony Brook University will leave the Big South Conference in football after the 2012 season and join the Colonial Athletic Association, according to two people familiar with the move.

Albany, Stony Brook's longtime rival in the America East Conference for all other sports, also is headed to the CAA for football, the sources confirmed.

Schools need 75 percent of the CAA football membership to approve admission. A source said Stony Brook and Albany already have been confirmed.

The CAA would then have Stony Brook, Albany, Delaware, Villanova, New Hampshire, William & Mary, Richmond, James Madison, Maine and Towson as football members in 2013.
A news conference announcing the moves is expected next week, the sources said.

danefan
August 3rd, 2012, 09:31 PM
Sorry double post with LFN. Feel free to delete this.

danefan
August 3rd, 2012, 09:32 PM
It's football only for both.

aceinthehole
August 3rd, 2012, 09:42 PM

So the next question is does CAA Football stand pat at 10 teams?

Will URI back out of its deal to join the NEC, and if so, does the CAA want to stay at 11 teams for 2013?

Who could be team #12?

Dane96
August 3rd, 2012, 11:24 PM

In the article, the Stony Brook source is saying that they are moving to the CAA in football only. Albany, however, did not say their specific plans.

So what does this mean?

I'd bet football only (chuckle, it's more than a bet).

But...who knows what the landscape will look like in 5 years.

Dane96
August 3rd, 2012, 11:26 PM
So the next question is does CAA Football stand pat at 10 teams?

Will URI back out of its deal to join the NEC, and if so, does the CAA want to stay at 11 teams for 2013?

Who could be team #12?

URI is definitely staying in the CAA. Unless something changed in the last day or two.

My guess for a Southern team: If ASU declines all-sport...look for Elon.

If they go 12, I'd bet 'Nova goes North with a guarantee cross-over with UD every year.

jmufan
August 4th, 2012, 12:23 AM
I wouldn't mind bringing in Youngstown state for football if ASU is definitely out.

Squealofthepig
August 4th, 2012, 12:43 AM
I wouldn't mind bringing in Youngstown state for football if ASU is definitely out.

I've never seen anyone stir the pot with penguins before.

Sader87
August 4th, 2012, 12:44 AM
More importantly though, how will this effect the Patriot League????

I kid....carry on...congrats and good luck to both Albany and Stony Brook.

Dane96
August 4th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Sader...I may kill you :) You just invited Douche MpLwhatever to Post (awww ****...I did as well).

BucBisonAtLarge
August 4th, 2012, 01:02 AM
This makes enormous sense for stabilizing the America East, linking Maine, UNH, SBU and Albany. Congratulations to Coach Ford. This is great news for eastern football.

IaaScribe
August 4th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Stony Brook in the Big South was always a marriage of convenience. SBU needed a transitional home once it ramped its scholarship level up. The Big South needed a sixth postseason-eligible team while Presbyterian completed its transition to Division I. With PC now a full DI member, the league will be back to six eligible teams, which has been the case ever since SBU joined. I'm not sure if the Big South goes after anyone to replace SBU. Campbell has zero interest in adding football skollies. Maybe Kennesaw State? That's the only real possibility.

Seawolf97
August 4th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Would a MEAC program move to the Big South? Thinking of Norfolk St. or Delaware St. If Liberty leaves for an FBS conference the Big South would be done. That is a big downside for those programs left in the Big South.

superman7515
August 4th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Like in the other thread, Norfolk State would be a possibility, but Delaware State would be a no go.

IaaScribe
August 4th, 2012, 02:05 PM
There's always been a grumble that Delaware State is looking to get out of the MEAC. Hampton, I believe, was interested in the CAA very recently. Those could be options.

superman7515
August 4th, 2012, 02:06 PM
There's always been a grumble that Delaware State is looking to get out of the MEAC. Hampton, I believe, was interested in the CAA very recently. Those could be options.

None of the things Delaware State wants to accomplish by leaving the MEAC could be accomplished by joining the Big South. It's a non-starter. Hampton would be in the same category as Norfolk State.

IaaScribe
August 4th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Right. I should have read your post from the other thread re: DSU. I know they've been interested in the NEC in recent years.

MplsBison
August 4th, 2012, 02:16 PM
URI is definitely staying in the CAA. Unless something changed in the last day or two.

If they go 12, I'd bet 'Nova goes North with a guarantee cross-over with UD every year.

No SoCon football teams offer anything to the bball schools. Why keep splitting those tourny credits that ODU and VCU worked so hard for even further and giving them to bad bball teams? Neither ASU nor Elon bball is going to help the CAA get back to a two-bid conference.

They'll be one-bid next season as it is unless the loser of Davidson v CoC in the 2013 CAA championship game gets an at-large, but I doubt it.

So no SoCon teams moving to the CAA for all sports. And the SoCon is not going to let any current team keep all non-football sports in the conference while moving football only to the CAA.

I guess it's possible they could move football to the CAA and non-football to the A-Sun or Big South, but again doubtful.

I do like the possibility of YSU moving football to the CAA. Hope it happens!

MplsBison
August 4th, 2012, 02:16 PM

YES!!

xnodx xnodx xnodx

aceinthehole
August 4th, 2012, 02:35 PM
No SoCon football teams offer anything to the bball schools.

Neither ASU nor Elon bball is going to help the CAA get back to a two-bid conference.

+1

At this point the CAA needs to shore up basketball and I just don't see many schools that will help the CAA. And the ones that might help basketball (Charleston, Davidson, Ashvillle, Winthrop, etc) don't have scholarship football.

I don't see many scenarios where CAA will go south and bring on additional football programs.

aceinthehole
August 4th, 2012, 02:52 PM

I think (and hope) CAA Football doesn't go south for football.

Since 1986, when the Yankee Conference first expanded oustide of New England by adding Delaware and Richmond, the league footprint has remained from Maine to Virginia. For only this season (2012) will the footprint extend south of Virginia (to Atlanta).

So for 25 out of the last 26 years of YC/A-10/CAA Football, the footprint has remained New England/Mid-Atlantic and the additions of UA and SBU further that point. And for just 2 seasons (2011 & 2012), has there been more than 3 schools from Virginia.

I think the "Southern flavor" of CAA Football has been overestimated and I would not be suprised if URI stays in the CAA along with another program within the existing footprint.

WMTribe90
August 4th, 2012, 03:20 PM
+1

At this point the CAA needs to shore up basketball and I just don't see many schools that will help the CAA. And the ones that might help basketball (Charleston, Davidson, Ashvillle, Winthrop, etc) don't have scholarship football.

I don't see many scenarios where CAA will go south and bring on additional football programs.

The scenario is Davidson is willing to come along as long as some SoCon conference mates come with to the CAA. So, we get a package deal with CoC, Davidson and Elon/ASU. Basketball schools get the two best options out there in Davidson and CoC and football gets the 12 memeber and solid football addition with either Elon or ASU (ASU being the obvious first choice, but less likely addition. Bring three full sports members in from the south could explain why SBU is football only.

aceinthehole
August 4th, 2012, 03:28 PM
The scenario is Davidson is willing to come along as long as some SoCon conference mates come with to the CAA. So, we get a package deal with CoC, Davidson and Elon/ASU. Basketball schools get the two best options out there in Davidson and CoC and football gets the 12 memeber and solid football addition with either Elon or ASU (ASU being the obvious first choice, but less likely addition. Bring three full sports members in from the south could explain why SBU is football only.

Sure, that is possible, but it hinges all on Davidson. I think very likely that Davidson decides their best move is to stay in the SoCon even without Charleston. Good move for the CAA because Charleston is a great add and a much needed travel partner for UNCW. The next moves after that don't bring much value.

If CAA stays at 10 with just Charleston, what does CAA Football do if they want to keep URI and are at an uneven 11 teams?

WMTribe90
August 4th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Sure, that is possible, but it hinges all on Davidson. I think very likely that Davidson decides their best move is to stay in the SoCon even without Charleston. Good move for the CAA because Charleston is a great add and a much needed travel partner for UNCW. The next moves after that don't bring much value.

If CAA stays at 10 with just Charleston, what does CAA Football do if they want to keep URI and are at an uneven 11 teams?

Davidson is the big question mark. However, it appears CoC is close to a done deal and I think Elon would make the move because they get a lot of their students from up north too. Elon's addition would likely be contingent on Davidson coming too. I think improved basketaball, increased media exposure, the possibility of playing in a multi-bid league (CAA would be in the running for an at-large some years with Drexel, GMU, and Davidson), and help with entrance/exit fees would be enough to persuade Davidson if they could keep a few SoCon rivals.

Short of getting the SoCon package deal (CoC only), then I think the league sits tight for now. Eleven for football isn't ideal, but I don't think Yeager is going to add a 12th just to add a 12th. No additional schools would be needed to shore up the northern tier and there are no other obvious candidates (no offense to CCSU).

I think in that scenario the CAA would wait for additional schools to jump from either the SoCon or CAA before making any more moves.

MplsBison
August 4th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I think (and hope) CAA Football doesn't go south for football.

Since 1986, when the Yankee Conference first expanded oustide of New England by adding Delaware and Richmond, the league footprint has remained from Maine to Virginia. For only this season (2012) will the footprint extend south of Virginia (to Atlanta).

So for 25 out of the last 26 years of YC/A-10/CAA Football, the footprint has remained New England/Mid-Atlantic and the additions of UA and SBU further that point. And for just 2 seasons (2011 & 2012), has there been more than 3 schools from Virginia.

I think the "Southern flavor" of CAA Football has been overestimated and I would not be suprised if URI stays in the CAA along with another program within the existing footprint.

Good post and history.

Adding football south of Virginia makes no sense for the CAA FC. Won't happen.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 4th, 2012, 11:48 PM
+1

App State wouldn't help the CAA in basketball? They are not a close travel partner with CoC or UNC-W but they do have a decent hoops program. The thing stopping them is the $1 million exit fee.

fc97
August 6th, 2012, 09:16 AM
theres still a trump card in coastal carolina

no one knows what elon, davidson or appalachian state are doing right now. elon and davidson have gone very silent on the matter. everyone knows what has been said publicly, but, that is also untrue in some cases too.

fc97
August 6th, 2012, 09:19 AM
i also want to clear something up. by USA definitions, virginia is a southern state, not mid-atlantic. and in the same places that name viriginia mid-atlantic, north carolina is also listed as mid-atlantic. yankee conference history or not, those days are over.

superman7515
August 6th, 2012, 09:51 AM
The Mid-Atlantic is defined as Delaware, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington DC, and West Virginia with many including North Carolina in the management councils for the Mid-Atlantic and South regions. Virginia has always been considered part of the Mid-Atlantic as large sections of Virginia are farther north than parts of Maryland, Delaware, and Washington DC and some areas are farther north than southern New Jersey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_states
http://www.midatlanticocean.org/
http://www.mafmc.org/
http://www.midatlantichurricanes.com/
http://www.epa.gov/aboutepa/region3.html

aceinthehole
August 6th, 2012, 09:58 AM
i also want to clear something up. by USA definitions, virginia is a southern state, not mid-atlantic. and in the same places that name viriginia mid-atlantic, north carolina is also listed as mid-atlantic. yankee conference history or not, those days are over.

Use whatever generally-accepted geographic descriptions you wish, that was not the point. To be clear: for the entire history of the YC/A-10/CAA, except for this one season, the league's footprint has NEVER extended south of Virginia. Also, until last season, the league never had more than 3 teams South of Maryland. Those are facts.

Now, whether that really has some bearing on future additions to the league is yet to be seen and is certainly something that can be debated.

MplsBison
August 6th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Use whatever generally-accepted geographic descriptions you wish, that was not the point. To be clear: for the entire history of the YC/A-10/CAA, except for this one season, the league's footprint has NEVER extended south of Virginia. Also, until last season, the league never had more than 3 teams South of Maryland. Those are facts.

Now, whether that really has some bearing on future additions to the league is yet to be seen and is certainly something that can be debated.

Such a great point and just further enhances the reality that Elon and App St are *NOT* on the table for membership in the CAA, either as football only or bball members (although bball + fball membership is the only thing that's reasonable).

WMTribe90
August 6th, 2012, 10:41 AM

I doubt the geographical history of the league even crossed Yeager's mind as he considered what NC schools to invite. The league has been trending south since the CAA took control of football. I'm glad SBU and Albany were added to shore up the northern tier, but that won't keep Yeager from looking to NC/SC to round out league membership.

aceinthehole
August 6th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I doubt the geographical history of the league even crossed Yeager's mind as he considered what NC schools to invite. The league has been trending south since the CAA took control of football. I'm glad SBU and Albany were added to shore up the northern tier, but that won't keep Yeager from looking to NC/SC to round out league membership.

I never said he would look at history to make a decision; I only stated that the core of the football league is still cenetred north of Baltimore. I think many people are overestimating this "Southern trending" because of the number of Northern teams withdrawing (NU, HU, UMass, URI?).

So far under CAA management, they have added 2 schools (VA and GA) which will play a combined total of 3 season of CAA Football. To say these 2 additions have had a huge impact on the league or the direction of expansion may be a little premature.

The next 2 additions the CAA is expected to make are from both New York State and the campuses are on, or east, of the Hudson River. What does that say? Rumors are URI wants to stay, what could that mean?

I'm not suggesting that the league won't look South, but I am suggesting that any additions South of Virginia will be an outlier and is not the "trend" or "culture" of the league.

MplsBison
August 6th, 2012, 12:21 PM

For basketball.

fc97
August 6th, 2012, 01:00 PM
For basketball.

why do you think you know anything about any of this?

MplsBison
August 6th, 2012, 01:18 PM
why do you think you know anything about any of this?

It's very clear that a lot of people think Elon wants to be in the CAA, because they get students from the NE. Fine.

I'm saying, is Elon any good for the CAA or CAA FC? I think the clear answer there is: no. Not even if they would enable Davidson to move over.

The CAA is offering Davidson a more recognizable brand name and offering a bigger piece of the pie in terms of tournament payouts. If that's not enough for them to come over, on their own - then they should bog off back to the SoCon.

andy7171
August 6th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I define the Mid-Atlantic as the region From Virigina Beach north to NYC. I wouldn't include Long Island because that is more like New England. And Upstate is more Great Lakes oriented.
So DE, MD, NJ, and VA without question. And including portions of PA and WV.

I am a professional geographer, I will only entertain objections from other fellow professional geographers.

:D

fc97
August 6th, 2012, 01:55 PM
this has nothing to do with elon. im saying is what makes you think you know what youre talking about. your school is no affiliated with anything in the east coast. you havent posted anything but opinion and conjecture. and you make circular arguments without any substance behind them.

i ask again, what makes you think you know anything about any of this that caa or socon people dont know, you have no idea the politics going on behind the scenes

NHwildEcat
August 6th, 2012, 01:55 PM
The south starts once you cross into Massachusetts...:)

fc97
August 6th, 2012, 01:56 PM
mr geopgrapher, define the difference between mid-atlantic and south. i was a cartography minor

aceinthehole
August 6th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I define the Mid-Atlantic as the region From Virigina Beach north to NYC. I wouldn't include Long Island because that is more like New England. And Upstate is more Great Lakes oriented.
So DE, MD, NJ, and VA without question. And including portions of PA and WV.

I am a professional geographer, I will only entertain objections from other fellow professional geographers.

:D

I knew I liked you Andy. xthumbsupx

Geography is just a state of mind :)
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122211987961064719.html

B.A. Geography, Central Connecticut State University, 1997

andy7171
August 6th, 2012, 02:19 PM
mr geopgrapher, define the difference between mid-atlantic and south. i was a cartography minor

While your qualifications are below a man of my education, I will entertain your question.

Virginia is a very large state, I wouldn't lump it all in as mid-atlantic. Tidewater and NoVA are definately part of the Midlantic. The whole vast wasteland of southcentral and SW can be claimed by the south. With the blueridge being Appalachia. I am from Maryland so my opinion may be biased. :)

Traditionally speaking and taking the state as a whole, I would say most consider it part of the South because of the civil war. Regions don't follow state lines though. That is what I was talking about.

Right back at you Ace!

andy7171
August 6th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Also, Maryland is a funny State. People North of the Mason Dixon consider us a Southern State. While people from South of the Potomac consider us a Northern State. The fact that over 70% of the State Legislature was jailed during the Civil War and that we were a slave owning Union state further blurs our defining. Which is why I think MD/DE have been at the heart of this fairly new MidAtlantic Regions emergence over the last several decades.

fc97
August 6th, 2012, 02:51 PM
which is funny cause most in the triangle/triad pats of nc consider them part of the mid-atlantic and the south. but as far as the northern vs southern definition goes, its muddied. i dont know many that consider nova part of the south. but richmond through tidewater feel as much mid-atlantic as anything. if i had to name a dividing line, it would be the james river/ches bay.

aceinthehole
August 6th, 2012, 02:51 PM
fc97, geography is a lot more than lines on a map. There are environmental, cultural, social, economic, religious, political and other factors that "define" places.

Connecticut, like Maryland, is a complex little State with a variety of influences that define its geography.

There are physical features like the Connecticut River, the Long Island Sound shoreline, the Northwest hills, etc.

Fairfield County, or more precisely Southwestern Connecticut, is defined by its proximity and influence of NYC. Stamford, a modern "Edge City," has always had a greater connection economically to New York than Hartford. Historically and politically, the New Haven Colony was settled by the English, whereas just a few miles down the road, New Amsterdam was settled by the Dutch.

So while Connecticut is by all accounts, New England, parts of it is very much influenced by New York and its commerce. It is our complexity that makes us all unique.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ctcolony.png

Ok, that’s enough geography and history. Good luck to Albany and Stony Brook in their new home, I hope CCSU gets to join them someday soon. :)

fc97
August 6th, 2012, 03:30 PM
of course, just like msa and csa although drawn based on county dont make a lot of sense based solely on county. he asked for a definition and i gave as rough a definition as could be given. many states have complicated influences. the crescent of nc being a highly non-southern type of area when compared to the rest of the state.

Dane96
August 6th, 2012, 04:03 PM
You nerds just bored the pants off me; and I am from a poly sci / history background.

Tribal
August 6th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Virginia is in the south...just ask Robert E. Lee. We say "y'all", not you'enz or youz. I wasn't aware that the CAA is a bipedal organism so the whole footprint thing is throwing me off.

Go...gate
August 6th, 2012, 10:37 PM
More importantly though, how will this effect the Patriot League????

I kid....carry on...congrats and good luck to both Albany and Stony Brook.

Recognize that you are kidding, but I think we are at the core six or seven for the forseeable future. Fordham will stick and GT will hopefully remain competitive. Sounds fine with me.

fc97
August 7th, 2012, 06:22 AM
You nerds just bored the pants off me; and I am from a poly sci / history background.

it was better than arguing with mlpsbison over stuff he thinks he knows. at least it got him to stop.

MplsBison
August 7th, 2012, 08:46 AM
this has nothing to do with elon. im saying is what makes you think you know what youre talking about. your school is no affiliated with anything in the east coast. you havent posted anything but opinion and conjecture. and you make circular arguments without any substance behind them.

i ask again, what makes you think you know anything about any of this that caa or socon people dont know, you have no idea the politics going on behind the scenes

What a complete waste of a post.

If my post is wrong, then post why you think it's wrong. Make your own argument. Post the correct info or post your opinion on the issue.

Don't waste people's time by pretending you're better than everyone.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 7th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I'ma troll feed me feed me feed me feed me

Fixed it for you. xlolx

MplsBison
August 7th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Fixed it for you. xlolx

Troll post by a troll.

andy7171
August 7th, 2012, 10:16 AM
it was better than arguing with mlpsbison over stuff he thinks he knows. at least it got him to stop.
This.

Oh and as far as NC is concerned, I consider it part of the south, but hardly part of the deep south.

Sader87
August 7th, 2012, 10:28 AM
When posts start delving into differing opinions on geographical distinctions, you know people are more than ready for some actual football to be played.

A few more weeks guys...hang in there.

MplsBison
August 7th, 2012, 10:31 AM
This.

Oh and as far as NC is concerned, I consider it part of the south, but hardly part of the deep south.

If Atlanta is deep south, then so is Charlotte.

andy7171
August 7th, 2012, 10:58 AM
If Atlanta is deep south, then so is Charlotte.

Can I have your geography credentials before I completely dismiss you?

van
August 7th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Don't waste people's time by pretending you're better than everyone.

Hmmm, take some of your own advice?

NHwildEcat
August 7th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I think DC is the deep south.

bluehenbillk
August 7th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Anything Sherman burned down can be considered Deep South.

fc97
August 7th, 2012, 12:25 PM

ha, deep south is classified by 5-8 states. sc, georgia, alabama, mississippi, louisianna and sometimes tennessee, florida and texas. thats all.

as far as the south being the csa, north carolina only seceded because it was surrounded. as for regions, nc and va may be part of the south, they dont completely fit the mold, demographics or industrial structure of the the rest of the south.

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 7th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Let me clear this up for everyone

SBU is way south
Albany is far west

MplsBison
August 7th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Can I have your geography credentials before I completely dismiss you?

#1 ranked in the North Central division of the Upper Midwest region.

MplsBison
August 7th, 2012, 01:14 PM

I *always* make my argument or opinion known, when I post in a thread.

I never waste people's time just to tell them they're wrong and not offer anything of my own.

Go...gate
August 7th, 2012, 01:27 PM

: )

Dane96
August 7th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Back to the reality of the thread, UALBANY has sent out an e-mail asking fans to join them in an important announcement with our AD and Bob Ford. The meeting is for tomorrow!

I suspect the official announcement will be made simultaneously by the CAA.

DSUrocks07
August 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM
We just hired a "new" AD (She was the interim AD between Costello and Carter). With the current trend at reducing costs in the athletic department I HOPE that someone brings this information to her desk.

NEC for football
AEast all other sports

Perfect move for DSU, IMO and also benefits those two conferences as well. (Keeps NEC at 12, travel partner for UMBC, etc.)

EDIT: we also fit the geography parameters as well xreadx

MplsBison
August 7th, 2012, 01:36 PM
We just hired a "new" AD (She was the interim AD between Costello and Carter). With the current trend at reducing costs in the athletic department I HOPE that someone brings this information to her desk.

NEC for football
AEast all other sports

Perfect move for DSU, IMO and also benefits those two conferences as well. (Keeps NEC at 12, travel partner for UMBC, etc.)

EDIT: we also fit the geography parameters as well xreadx

It also would make DSU the, what, only 2nd Division I black school to escape the HBCU branding and stereotyping that comes with being in the SWAC and MEAC? (Tenn St being the only one currently)

andy7171
August 7th, 2012, 01:36 PM

Well played!

henfan
August 7th, 2012, 01:45 PM
It also would make DSU the, what, only 2nd Division I black school to escape the HBCU branding and stereotyping that comes with being in the SWAC and MEAC? (Tenn St being the only one currently)

DSU is not leaving the MEAC, nor has there been any discussion of them doing so (not publicly, at least). If anything, DSU has seemingly re-doubled their commitment to their HBCU mission, after their last CEO was ousted. He was canned in part because he wanted to re-brand the school and move away from the HBCU identity.

TSU doesn't seem interested in "escaping" its HBCU branding. (Tennesseans, please correct me if I'm wrong.) Their marketing strongly & proudly identify the school as an HBCU, though, as a public institution, they are not limited to just that mission... nor is DSU for that matter.xthumbsupx
http://www.tnstate.edu/about_tsu/our_mission.aspx

Now back to CAA discussion...

DSUrocks07
August 7th, 2012, 01:52 PM
DSU is not leaving the MEAC, nor has their been any discussion of them doing so (not publicly, at least). If anything, DSU has seemingly re-doubled their commitment to their HBCU mission, after their last CEO was ousted in part because he wanted to re-brand the school and move away from the HBCU identity.

TSU hasn't escaped its HBCU branding, nor does it seem that they would want to. Their marketing strongly & proudly identify the school as an HBCU, though they are not limited to just that mission... nor is DSU.xthumbsupx

The "outrage" of Dr. Sessoms' moves were more of a "culture shock" to the older Alums of the school, also with how he wanted us to "go FBS in 10 years". We wouldn't be rebranding ourselves at all by a conference shift, just as TNSU hasn't either. Fact is that a clear majority of our Alums are from the Northeast, it only makes sense (IMO) for us to associate ourselves and identify with that region. As I stated on MEACFans Zone about this same topic, if there were a conference of HBCUs in the Northeast I would be all for DSU joining them as well. Its not about escaping or erasing the history of the school. Its about aligning with the culture of region. Northern school in a Southern based conference. If DSU wasn't an HBCU we would already be a member of a northeastern based conference decades ago.

Bogus Megapardus
August 7th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Let me clear this up for everyone

SBU is way south
Albany is far west

That puts Harvard in the Middle East, then, correct? xrolleyesx

fc97
August 7th, 2012, 02:40 PM
from what i understand, delaware state is still in discussions for big south membership

kdinva
August 7th, 2012, 03:23 PM
from what i understand, delaware state is still in discussions for big south membership

Can't see it happening........what with the Big South now at 12 schools (stony brook is FB only). Can't imaging DSU asking to join the Big South for FB only........

DSUrocks07
August 7th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Can't see it happening........what with the Big South now at 12 schools (stony brook is FB only). Can't imaging DSU asking to join the Big South for FB only........

Or the MEAC allowing us to stay in the conference for all other sports.

jmufan
August 7th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Newsday reporting that the moves are to be official tonight. http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/stony-brook/stony-brook-tells-big-south-of-move-to-caa-1.3888439

Go...gate
August 7th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Back to the reality of the thread, UALBANY has sent out an e-mail asking fans to join them in an important announcement with our AD and Bob Ford. The meeting is for tomorrow!

I suspect the official announcement will be made simultaneously by the CAA.

Happy to hear this. Colgate's series with UA, which by all appearances may become annual, will take on even more significance. Would not mind a similar set-up with SBU, especially as Ivy games become harder to schedule and in-state games are essentially day trips for NYC Metro area fans.

henfan
August 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM
The "outrage" of Dr. Sessoms' moves were more of a "culture shock" to the older Alums of the school...

Let's be specific. It was more the result of what certain significant Wilmington-area alumns wanted, which was in direct conflict with Sessoms' vision. In a lot of significant ways, and except for the Sessoms blip, DSU hasn't undergone any significant institutional changes, especially with respect to athletics. I just don't see them doing anything bold, like moving out of the MEAC.

dgreco
August 7th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Now we wait for another invite to a southern school? Also, when will we learn if URI is staying or leaving

MplsBison
August 7th, 2012, 07:07 PM
DSU is not leaving the MEAC, nor has there been any discussion of them doing so (not publicly, at least). If anything, DSU has seemingly re-doubled their commitment to their HBCU mission, after their last CEO was ousted. He was canned in part because he wanted to re-brand the school and move away from the HBCU identity.

TSU doesn't seem interested in "escaping" its HBCU branding. (Tennesseans, please correct me if I'm wrong.) Their marketing strongly & proudly identify the school as an HBCU, though, as a public institution, they are not limited to just that mission... nor is DSU for that matter.xthumbsupx

Now back to CAA discussion...

TN St is half-black.

They swallowed UT-Nashville after winning a fallacious lawsuit, which they won because they played the race card and no one dared oppose them, less they be labeled a lynching racist.