PDA

View Full Version : I waited on Mack Brown Last Night

spoogemcgee18
July 4th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Former App State coach. And I think he's now with the Bulls or Steers--something with a bull on its logo. I hear he's doing pretty well these days. Anyways, he ordered the chargrilled filet of black angus beef and a curried carrot and leek soup. He seemed like a really nice guy.

McTailGator
July 4th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Former App State coach. And I think he's now with the Bulls or Steers--something with a bull on its logo. I hear he's doing pretty well these days. Anyways, he ordered the chargrilled filet of black angus beef and a curried carrot and leek soup. He seemed like a really nice guy.

Cool,,,

Little known Fact here... His Offensive Coordinator is Greg Davis. Former McNeese Quarterback.:twocents:

kats89
July 4th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Should have asked him if he was worried about Sam Houston St coming to Austin on Sept 30th?xlolx xlolx :thumbsup:

Freightliner
July 4th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Cool,,,

Little known Fact here... His Offensive Coordinator is Greg Davis. Former McNeese Quarterback.:twocents:

And his Defensive Coordinator Gene Chizik is the former DC at Stephen F. Austin.

BEAR
July 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM
leek soup.

Urine what state?:eek:

wannabegaucho
July 4th, 2006, 02:17 PM
His Offensive Coordinator is Greg Davis. Former McNeese Quarterback.:twocents:
Davis is the brains in the operation. Mack the Knife is just there for the fun of it.

Mr. C
July 4th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Mack Brown has the reputation as a really personable guy. He still calls some of his old friends in Boone from what I've been told and hasn't been changed by the big time.

SoCon48
July 4th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Mack Brown has the reputation as a really personable guy. He still calls some of his old friends in Boone from what I've been told and hasn't been changed by the big time.

Why?? He was there only about a calendar year out of his total career.

BCisforBobcatTX
July 5th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Mack Brown does have quite a rep around Austin for being a real nice, laidback, "aw shucks" type of guy.

Here's a tie for you: Greg Davis is from Port Neches, attended Port Neches-Groves High School, same place Dustin Long, former quarterback for Texas A&M and then Sam Houston State, went to high school who played with Derek Farmer while at A&M and subsequently transferred to Stephen F. Austin. SPOOKY :eek:

MR. CHICKEN
July 5th, 2006, 04:08 PM

HOW WAS DUH TIP...15...20..PERCENT?......:D....BAWK!

blueballs
July 5th, 2006, 04:47 PM
And his Defensive Coordinator Gene Chizik is the former DC at Stephen F. Austin.

Chizik worked here in Central FL at UCF as DC too. They guy is a helluva coach.

Saint3333
July 5th, 2006, 07:43 PM

He still comes to Boone once a summer as he is a member at old Lineville Golf Club.

Mr. C
July 5th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Why?? He was there only about a calendar year out of his total career.
Why? Because he has friends that he still is close enough to keep in touch with. Why are you bagging on him? Just becuase he left Boone after one year doesn't mean he isn't a good guy. If nothing else, he brought Sparky Woods to ASU and that was basically the start of the current Mountaineer football tradition.

Saint3333
July 5th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Mr. C speaking of Sparky, who do you think would be the next head coach after JM?

Mr. C
July 5th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Mr. C speaking of Sparky, who do you think would be the next head coach after JM?
Common opinion seems to focus on several names. But you never know how Charlie Cobb will weigh in on this, considering he may have his own list of people.

Tim Horton, now an offensive coach at Kansas State after several years at Air Force, would be my front-runner. He was supposedly the runner-up at Elon when Paul Hamilton was hired. Really great guy.

John Settle has a great pedigree for a future ASU coach. Retired number, all-pro NFL RB, was a grad assistant to Jerry Moore at ASU and then was a prominent RB coach for Pat Hill at Fresno State. Hill has produced several other prominent head coaches, including Cal's Jeff Tedford. Settle also had some NFL coaching experience. He is now at Wisconsin, taking another step towards an eventual head coaching job. Also a real personable guy, like Horton.

Stacy Searels is now the offensive line coach at LSU after a stellar job as an assistant at ASU and Cincinnati. He would have a lot of people in his corner. My only concern with Stacy would be he is kind of shy and really doesn't like being the center of any media attention at all. He might struggle handling the media.

Steve Wilks is now in the NFL with, I think, the Minnesota Vikings. He was well respected as a defensive assistant with ASU. He also has head coaching experience at Savannah State.

George Edwards was Dexter Coakley's linebacker coach at ASU and with the Dallas Cowboys. He was also a defensive coordinator with the Washington Redskins, under his college coach Steve Spurrier, and is still in the NFL (I think with the Miami Dolphins now, hard to keep up with all of the NFL personnel moves). Don't know if ASU could afford Edwards, though he does still have some ties to Boone. He would be a great choice, but I doubt he would come back from the NFL.

Ruffin McNeil, the great ASU defensive coordinator of the 1990s, is the assistant head coach at Texas Tech and would be a great choice, but his age might start becoming a factor for ASU. He also could get the head coaching job next at Texas Tech. I know he wants to be a head coach very badly.

John Wiley, the current DC at ASU, would probably apply and former OC Rob Best would probably be interested as well, but I doubt they would have as much support as the group above. My front-runner would be Tim Horton, but you really couldn't miss with any of the guys listed above.

Saint3333
July 5th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the list. I was with you until the Rob Best part. He was a great guy, just not a good coach.

MR. CHICKEN
July 5th, 2006, 09:55 PM
WHAT 'BOUT DUH TIP?................AWK???????

Lehigh Football Nation
July 5th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Common opinion seems to focus on several names. But you never know how Charlie Cobb will weigh in on this, considering he may have his own list of people.

Tim Horton, now an offensive coach at Kansas State after several years at Air Force, would be my front-runner. He was supposedly the runner-up at Elon when Paul Hamilton was hired. Really great guy...My front-runner would be Tim Horton, but you really couldn't miss with any of the guys listed above.

Would that mean that App State would then become:

http://www.gamertagpics.com/messages/Lady_Venom_NF/tim-horton-donut.jpg

http://www.stephentaylor.ca/archives/timhortons.jpg

"Hey Doug, I really like that new head coach at App State, eh?"

"Shut up you hoser!"

SoCon48
July 6th, 2006, 10:02 AM
He still comes to Boone once a summer as he is a member at old Lineville Golf Club.
That explains it. That's pretty distinguished company and in high cotton.

SoCon48
July 6th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Why? Because he has friends that he still is close enough to keep in touch with. Why are you bagging on him? Just becuase he left Boone after one year doesn't mean he isn't a good guy. If nothing else, he brought Sparky Woods to ASU and that was basically the start of the current Mountaineer football tradition.

Not dissing him. Just any ties to any present Appalachian State folks would be a bit exaggerated. We've had people come and go-but a one year stay is pretty rare. He used App as a stepping stone faster than anyone else.
It's nice to name drop him once in a while in connection with App.
When he was at UNC and losing at first..he was "former Appalachian Coach Mack Brown."
When he got them rolling..he was "former Tulane Coach Mack Brown"
I've met few Texas fans who even know ASU was on his resume.

And Sparky..we were definitely lucky to have him as he recruited well and led us to a 35-19-2 span during his tenure.
However, I'd have to say the start of ASU's NCAA portion of its tradition started much earlier (like 14 yrs) during the Brakefield era while coming straight out of NAIA and with a pathetic budget and few scholarships, we put guys and the team in the Div I National Offensive ranking stats (while Okalahoma, et al were running the same wide open bone) in 1975 while beating Wake, University of South Carolina, and ECU in the same season. Sparky almost beat Wake in his 4 tries.
Love to have Sparky back, but also give credit where it is due. Maybe he'd jump to us one day on a moment's notice and start work without a contract like he did for the Gamecocks. Ya think?

SoCon48
July 6th, 2006, 04:52 PM
By the way, Mr C, glad you do consider Mack and Sparky as part of our tradition. So many App fans fail to have anything good to say about former coaches and AD's who left the fold.

McTailGator
July 6th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Davis is the brains in the operation. Mack the Knife is just there for the fun of it.

Mac the Knife...

Isn't there a song about that? xlolx

spoogemcgee18
July 9th, 2006, 10:20 PM
It was Eseeola Lodge at Linville Golf Club where I waited on him. And, sorry, no tip to brag about. Gratuity is included in the bill and us waiters never see a cent of it. Instead we get paid 8.75 an hour and free lodging and meals. So, in essence, Mack Brown is paying my rent.

Saint3333
July 10th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Free golf at an amazing course to a college student is like gold.

spoogemcgee18
July 10th, 2006, 11:35 PM
I have yet to play the course. Not much of a golfer I guess. Plus I never have time cuz I'm always waiting hand and foot on big timers like Mack Brown.