PDA

View Full Version : anyone collect memorabilia of their team

bulldog10jw
July 3rd, 2006, 03:17 PM
I have kept the game programs from every Yale game I attended going back to 1959. I started collecting even older ones as the years went by with the oldest one being a Yale-Army program from ( I think ) 1922. They give me a great historical record of Yale Football.

I also have the ticket stub from every away game I went to including Hawaii in 1987 and various posters and much more.

Just curious if anyone else keeps momentos (or am I the only geek)

Gil Dobie
July 3rd, 2006, 03:21 PM
I have some annuals from the 1930's, various media guides and programs from the 1970's to present, and some misc stuff like a 1934 basketball broadside vs Minnesota. My best item is a Minnesota item though. Roster card and ticket stub Carlisle (Jim Thorpe) vs Minnesota 1908.

bulldog10jw
July 3rd, 2006, 03:26 PM
I have some annuals from the 1930's, various media guides and programs from the 1970's to present, and some misc stuff like a 1934 basketball broadside vs Minnesota. My best item is a Minnesota item though. Roster card and ticket stub Carlisle (Jim Thorpe) vs Minnesota 1908.

I used to collect the media guides, mostly because that was the only place you could see the future schedules. Now, the media guide can be seen online.

Excellent Jim Thorpe item. Is it still in good shape? Do you protect it in any special way?

MACHIAVELLI
July 3rd, 2006, 04:08 PM
ICON Media Guides (http://www.gramblingstateuniversity.com/mediaguides.htm)

ngineer
July 3rd, 2006, 04:14 PM
I have a brick from Lehigh's old Taylor Stadium that was torn down in 1988, after the last game was played there in 1987 (the 'Arctic Blast' game). Taylor was built in 1914. The brick has a brass etching of the stadium on one side as well as a 'certificate of authenticity'. It sits in an honored spot in my office.:nod:

Gil Dobie
July 3rd, 2006, 04:19 PM
I used to collect the media guides, mostly because that was the only place you could see the future schedules. Now, the media guide can be seen online.

Excellent Jim Thorpe item. Is it still in good shape? Do you protect it in any special way?

They came out of a scrapbook and still have the paper on the back. I keep them in ridged plastic holders. The guy I got them from has some Yale ticket stubs from the 1910's and 1920's. I used to have a Heffelfinger signed photo, but I found somebody that wanted it more than I did.

Umass74
July 3rd, 2006, 06:17 PM
I have game programs (usually one program per year) going back to 1976.

I have UMass press guides going back to 1980. I've also kept some special away games such as Kansas State, North Carlolina State, Army etc.

I've also got some VHS tapes of old games. I've got to transfer those to DVD sometime...

Go...gate
July 3rd, 2006, 08:51 PM
I have accumulated a lot of Colgate, Princeton and Rutgers sports memorabilia. As to Colgate football, I have game programs dating back to the early 1960's and press guides dating back to 1976, as well as buttons, mugs, etc. I also have a number of newspaper clippings from games. Over the years a lot of Patriot/Ivy/A-10 stuff has also found its way into the collection, such as Lehigh, Army, Navy, Holy Cross, Bucknell, Lafayette, Davidson and William & Mary FB programs, press guides etc.

Henny
July 3rd, 2006, 09:36 PM
My folks have some cool Colgate stuff including a program of the Nebraska - Colgate game possibly from the 40s. My Grandfather played lacrosse there and was the AD/ SID at Colgate before there was such a thing.

The 03' championship game had my two favorite teams in I-AA !!!!

TheRock21
July 3rd, 2006, 09:54 PM
I've got the team posters with the schedules on them from each year I was in school, along with the 1995 poster (undefeated year). Been trying to get my hands on a replica size helmet but it's hard to find.

catamount man
July 4th, 2006, 07:11 AM
- media guides (for most WCU sports)
- football programs
- mini-helmet
- two regulation size helmets, the one we wear now and the classic "the cats" logo helmet, we used from 82-88 and 92-98
- framed pictures of Bob Waters
- signed photograph of the 1995-96 SoCon championship basketball team
- drawings of Cullowhee
- a blown up picture of the WCU campus from the 70s before the Ramsey Center was built
- tons of hats
- dress shirts
- t-shirts

I do need to buy some new car flags before the season. Might head up today. The Wal-Mart in Sylva, NC (6 miles North of WCU) has a TON of WCU apparel.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Ivytalk
July 4th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I've acquired a number of Harvard items on eBay in addition to keepsakes from my college days. I have sports memorabilia like Harvard-Yale game programs, an antique Harvard football doll, and media guides. I also have a vintage Winthrop House Wedgwood plate and a classic sketch of Memorial Hall dating from 1887.

bulldog10jw
July 4th, 2006, 12:07 PM
I've acquired a number of Harvard items on eBay in addition to keepsakes from my college days. I have sports memorabilia like Harvard-Yale game programs, an antique Harvard football doll, and media guides. I also have a vintage Winthrop House Wedgwood plate and a classic sketch of Memorial Hall dating from 1887.

Besides several Yale-Harvard programs, I still have a "THE GAME" seat cushion from the first Y-H game I attended in Boston in '78 (although the Smirnoff Vodka slogan is almost as prominent as "THE GAME") and a 100th Yale Havard game mirror. The mirror is poster size and lists the scores of the first 99 games.

MACHIAVELLI
July 4th, 2006, 12:10 PM
ICON Player Cards (http://www.gramblingstateuniversity.com/playercards.htm)

RadMann
July 4th, 2006, 12:39 PM
I don't collect memorabilia but I do have a nice mug commemorating the 1979 NCAA national championship. In addition I have quite a few game programs from over the years. I also have the program from the 1931 UD - Navy game.

catamount man
July 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I do need to buy some new car flags before the season. Might head up today. The Wal-Mart in Sylva, NC (6 miles North of WCU) has a TON of WCU apparel. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: Sylva's Wal-Mart has taken down the WCU display, but golly gee beaver, they got the NC State and UNC stuff out in full force! Wally World Bastards!!!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

MACHIAVELLI
July 4th, 2006, 04:20 PM
http://gramblingstateuniversity.com/images/gsu3rings.JPG

89rabbit
July 4th, 2006, 05:00 PM
On top of the bookcase in my office I have a signed Josh Ranek SDSU Helmet (SDSU's all time leading rusher) and a Scott Nagy (Head Men's Basketball Coach - Most Wins in SDSU History) autographed Basketball.

Gil Dobie
July 4th, 2006, 08:01 PM
On top of the bookcase in my office I have a signed Josh Ranek SDSU Helmet (SDSU's all time leading rusher) and a Scott Nagy (Head Men's Basketball Coach - Most Wins in SDSU History) autographed Basketball.

I used to have a 1916 Wisconsin vs SDSU football program and Ticket Stub. :cool:

MR. CHICKEN
July 4th, 2006, 09:14 PM
AH HAVE TUBBY'S AUTOGRAPH....ON HIS BOOK..."THE DELAWARE WING-T"..(AN ORDER OF FOOTBALL)...KEMPSKI SIGNED IT ALSO...GOT HAROLD'S HANCOCK ON UH PRACTICE FOOTBALL....GOT UH MINI RIDDELL SIGNED BY ANDY HALL.......GOT UH BLUEHEN CAP...SIGNED...BY....KURT C. KEELER...GOT UH PICTURE TAKEN WHIFF KC IN 'NOOGA...AT DUH HOTEL..RIGHT AFTERAH DUH 2003 CHAMPIONSHIP GAME..HE'S WAVIN' DAT TROPHY 'ROUND......LIKE IT WAS MARILYN MONROE'S DRAWERS....FLYIN' FROM FRANK SINATRA'S 53 STUDEBAKER ANTENNA......GOT MEDIA GUIDES....GOT UD TRINKETS......&....POSTERS.......HANDED OUT AT DUH COOP......MAH WHITTLE PEEPER'S FIRST EMPLOYMENT......UD BOOKSTORE....(MAH COUSIN SHERRY WAS DUH STORE MANAGER..NEPOTISM....AWK!)..AH GOTS STUFF....FROM X-MAS....DADDY-DAYS.....BIRFF-DAYS......DID AH MENTION....DUH BLUE 'N GOLD M&M'S?........GOT UH UD HOME FOOTBALL JERSEY...#27..COST ME $99......AH GOT GAME DAY PHOTOS...FROM DUH SUNDAY JOURNAL.......AN' AH GOTS ALL DEM SPECIAL MEMORIES...RIGHT HERE IN DUH "BIG BIRDS" DATA BANK......FROM ALL DUH GAMES...AH'VE ATTENDED.....:rotateh::nod::rotateh:......BRAWK!

dungeonjoe
July 4th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Been trying to get my hands on a replica size helmet but it's hard to find.

try www.retrosports.com

I got my Wofford replica helmet there a couple of years ago.

Saint3333
July 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM
http://gramblingstateuniversity.com/images/gsu3rings.JPG

Can someone explain these rings to me I must have missed something?

Pard4Life
July 5th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I am new to the collector's circut so I don't I have much. I do have a brick/cement chunk from the present Fisher Field, a discarded 'Reserved Tickets' sign, and media guides for the Pards and visiting teams going back to 2002.

It is unfortunate that the Ivy League offices don't print their conference guide in paper form. It is only online... which doesn't make a whole lot of sense... I don't think saving money is such a big deal over there.

carney2
July 5th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I have tapes of victories over Lehigh. Not many in the 90s, but they are starting to accumulate again.

Pards Rule
July 5th, 2006, 09:59 AM
I got every Lafayette-Lehigh game program dating from the first one I saw in 1980. Also most of the ticket stubs I stapled to the back cover. A pom-pon from the 1981 pep rally for the Lehigh game held at the old Alumni gym. An article from the Easton Express (before it was Express-Times) with an interview with Bill Russo before his first game at Lafayette. He said his goal was to be competitive with Lehigh and win half the games. AND a brown 2x4 piece from Taylor from the Arctic Blast game (I stayed the whole game Ngineer - did you?).

carney2
July 5th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I got every Lafayette-Lehigh game program dating from the first one I saw in 1980. Also most of the ticket stubs I stapled to the back cover. A pom-pon from the 1981 pep rally for the Lehigh game held at the old Alumni gym. An article from the Easton Express (before it was Express-Times) with an interview with Bill Russo before his first game at Lafayette. He said his goal was to be competitive with Lehigh and win half the games. AND a brown 2x4 piece from Taylor from the Arctic Blast game (I stayed the whole game Ngineer - did you?).

Another here who stayed for the whole frigid affair. Me and my comrades were the only occupants of our section in Taylor Stadium in the second half. At that point we could have had any seat in the house, but once you have found (relative) comfort under all of those blankets, why move?

gasouthern01
July 5th, 2006, 02:00 PM
just to name a few

1) Big bad Erk record, had him sign it a few years back and have it framed
2) A book that contains every media clipping about Adrian Peterson from his freshman year till his last game. It has every news paper clipping or magazing article ever written about him across the country.
3) A watch that says " Georgia Southern National Champions" and in the middle it has a football that read 1985 I-AA. Got this from a jewelry dealer in Valdosta about 5 years ago. not sure how many were made or if these were given to boosters or sold at the university store.
4) Just recently acquired the "Drive to Dixie" print, only a handful got out b/c it shows a traditional southern mansion and the NAACP had the NCAA pull it very quickly. This was promoting the 1989 National Championship game in Statesboro.
5) Autographed football of Erk, Paul Johnson, Tracy Ham and AP
6) Every media. The first one is in mint condition and has Erk with President Dale Lick on the cover.
7) A cookbook that was put out in 1987 and sold around campus. It is called Eaglefeast and on the inside cover it says dedicated to the 1985 and 1986 Georgia Southern football team.
8) The CD ROM that the GSU media dept put out to all media promotion AP for Heisman. I had him sign it and I framed it.
9) Tons od Erk, AP, Ham and Paul Johnson autographs on various items (footballs, newspaper articles, etc)

Pards Rule
July 5th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Carney, I estimate there were only about a thousand to 1500 at the bitter end. I actually stayed a little while longer to see what I could scavenge. After that, I went back to the Hotel Easton in Easton, so ready for a hot shower but, alas, their plumbing at the hotel didn't seem to have a warm setting - it was either scalding hot or cold! I think this eventually did them in as the renovated Hotel Easton closed in the early 90s.

ngineer
July 5th, 2006, 10:25 PM

Unfortunately, I could not. I had my daughter with me (only 6 at the time) and was truly concerned for her. You could only see her eyes. I had her tremendously bundled. My wife gave me hell for taking her in the first place. Of course, my daughter was adamant about going..so we went. But at halftime I could not justify staying longer. Only time I've left any Lehigh game early. My daughter and I went back to Taylor the following April to watch the Brown & White game that was really the last time it was used for anything. In fact, part of the northern stands were already under demolition at the time. My daughter had tears in her eyes as we got up from 'our seats' (the old concrete slab) for the last time...

ngineer
July 5th, 2006, 10:31 PM
try www.retrosports.com

I got my Wofford replica helmet there a couple of years ago.

How were you able to do that. I don't see Wofford listed among the schools whose products they carry. Of course, I could order a 'Wofford' and just paint the face mask brown...:D

Pards Rule
July 6th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Unfortunately, I could not. I had my daughter with me (only 6 at the time) and was truly concerned for her. You could only see her eyes. I had her tremendously bundled. My wife gave me hell for taking her in the first place. Of course, my daughter was adamant about going..so we went. But at halftime I could not justify staying longer. Only time I've left any Lehigh game early. My daughter and I went back to Taylor the following April to watch the Brown & White game that was really the last time it was used for anything. In fact, part of the northern stands were already under demolition at the time. My daughter had tears in her eyes as we got up from 'our seats' (the old concrete slab) for the last time...

Understood. Well, now all these years later she can proudly say she was at the last game at Taylor (and the wife almost ruined that memory!). I assume she wound up going to Lehigh? I could hardly wait for the game to end. Actually, it was the first - and only - time I was faintly rooting for Lehigh as it was their last game in Taylor, both teams were going to have losing records no matter who won, so it was "get me outta here". Second coldest I attended: the first Lafayette game at Goodman (1989) when there were snow squalls at halftime and in the third quarter.