PDA

View Full Version : Fordham to play Temple in 2013

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2012, 04:41 PM
Apparently this was confirmed at Fordham's annual football golf outing over the weekend. They're going to be replacing Villanova as our FCS opponent

I understand why we're playing this game but I would still much rather play Delaware, Lehigh, JMU, Towson, etc.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 31st, 2012, 04:53 PM
They're going to be replacing Villanova as our FCS opponent

Very interesting. Who pulled out of the series?

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2012, 05:02 PM

I think it was a mutual decision to end the series for the time being.

I really wanted Delaware!!

Bogus Megapardus
July 31st, 2012, 05:05 PM

Perfect game for a (presumably) FBS-qualifying Fordham squad; a chance to renew another traditional rivalry. Now I want to see that Lafayette-Rutgers game. Bring me the Middle Three and the Little Brass Cannon.

I think it was a mutual decision to end the series for the time being.

I really wanted Delaware!!

I think that we got Delaware after the completion of our W&M home-and-home series. At least that's the rumor.

Silenoz
July 31st, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hmm, isn't there a scholly minimum for FCS teams in regards to counting towards bowl eligibility? Or am I remembering that wrong, or was the rule dropped, or did the PL start awarding schollies, or something else along those lines.

Bogus Megapardus
July 31st, 2012, 05:18 PM
Hmm, isn't there a scholly minimum for FCS teams in regards to counting towards bowl eligibility? Or am I remembering that wrong, or was the rule dropped, or did the PL start awarding schollies, or something else along those lines.

Fordham now is full scholarship. The rest of the PL will begin scholarships in 2013 and will be full scholarship after four years. Some PL teams will be "counters" well before that.

EDIT - Fordham indeed is a full "counter" right now; it won't be full scholarship until after next season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2012, 05:19 PM

Fordham will have 3 full schollie classes by next year on top of whats' left of the financial aiders.

They're playing Cincy this season after taking on UCONN and Army last year.

I wonder how much Fordham is getting for this game? I honestly can't see us paying too much money given the fact we don't exactly pack 'em in.

Bogus Megapardus
July 31st, 2012, 05:26 PM
I wonder how much Fordham is getting for this game? I honestly can't see us paying too much money given the fact we don't exactly pack 'em in.

I doubt that Fordham is playing this game for the payout. I'd imagine that they just want to play a northeastern FBS team and that they think that they have a chance to win.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2012, 05:33 PM
I'll be surprised if Temple and Lehigh don't play within the next 5 years. My guess is the Eagles front office pushes our AD to get a game set-up as a bit of a repayment to Lehigh for hosting the Birds training camp the last 15+ years.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2012, 05:47 PM
I doubt that Fordham is playing this game for the payout. I'd imagine that they just want to play a northeastern FBS team and that they think that they have a chance to win.

You're right, this can't be a money driven decision. Fordham is likely trying to increase their visibility in the Northeast in an attempt to get their program back on its feet.

van
July 31st, 2012, 05:57 PM
I'll be surprised if Temple and Lehigh don't play within the next 5 years. My guess is the Eagles front office pushes our AD to get a game set-up as a bit of a repayment to Lehigh for hosting the Birds training camp the last 15+ years.

I'd rather see us play Rutgers, more of a traditional opponent.

Bogus Megapardus
July 31st, 2012, 06:19 PM
I'd rather see us play Rutgers, more of a traditional opponent.

Lehigh-Lafayette-Rutgers should go back to regular rotation. Just like the good ol' days!

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2012, 06:32 PM
Temple's record vs PL schools.

16-20-1 against Bucknell, last meeting 1970 in Lewisburg
1-1 against Colgate, games in '81 and '82
0-4 against Fordham, last meeting 1953
1-4 against Georgetown, last meeting 1942
9-12-2 against Holy Cross, last meeting 1974
8-4-1 against Lafayette, last meeting 1965
0-2 against Lehigh, last meeting 1956

Wow, we've sucked for a long time! But, we hold a winning record against Lafayette!! xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
July 31st, 2012, 06:38 PM
Wow, we've sucked for a long time! But, we hold a winning record against Lafayette!! xlolx

Give us time. We're here for the long haul.

van
August 1st, 2012, 08:03 AM
Wow, we've sucked for a long time! But, we hold a winning record against Lafayette!! xlolx[/QUOTE]

Nothing to be proud of!

Franks Tanks
August 1st, 2012, 08:24 AM

Nothing to be proud of![/QUOTE]

You wish Lehigh had a winning reciord vs. Lafayette.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 1st, 2012, 08:32 AM
Nothing to be proud of!

You wish Lehigh had a winning reciord vs. Lafayette.[/QUOTE]

Since I didn't go to Lehigh their overall record against Lafayette really doesn't matter too much to me. If nothing else, Lehigh has dominated for as long as I remember, since the late 80's.

Rivalry aside, Colgate is actually the school in the league the bugs me the most. Biddle just doesn't do it for me and Vena was a....well never mind...

In all honesty, I simply can't put too much energy into hating PL football teams. It takes away the amount of hatred I can direct towards Vilenova.

bluehenbillk
August 1st, 2012, 08:45 AM
UGH!

I'd love to see Delaware & Temple re-start their rivalry. It was probably UD's biggest rival in my lifetime, eclipsing anything we currently have in the CAA. Problem is UD doesn't want to play FBS games except in 12-game seasons & we already have Pitt lined up for 2014 & 2019.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 1st, 2012, 08:51 AM
Kind of interesting that Pitt's FCS OOC schedule has so directly affected Temple, by bagging two nearby teams in Delaware (2014) and Villanova (2013). You wonder if next up is Lehigh and Lafayette.

GannonFan
August 1st, 2012, 08:55 AM

I don't seem to recall a Temple/West Chester matchup in the past when West Chester hosted the Eagles' training camp for many years.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 1st, 2012, 08:56 AM
Kind of interesting that Pitt's FCS OOC schedule has so directly affected Temple, by bagging two nearby teams in Delaware (2014) and Villanova (2013). You wonder if next up is Lehigh and Lafayette.

Most Temple fans, including me, have wanted to play Delaware for quite some time. While playing Villanova is pretty cool, Delaware would be so much more fun! Their fans would create a much better atmosphere!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 1st, 2012, 08:58 AM
I don't seem to recall a Temple/West Chester matchup in the past when West Chester hosted the Eagles' training camp for many years.

That's apples to oranges. Temple-Lehigh has a very good chance of happening imo.

There was talk on the Temple rivals board before it died today about potential FCS teams and Delaware, JMU and Lehigh drew the most interest. We need to play teams that will bring fans!

Engineer86
August 1st, 2012, 09:36 AM
Most Temple fans, including me, have wanted to play Delaware for quite some time. While playing Villanova is pretty cool, Delaware would be so much more fun! Their fans would create a much better atmosphere!!

I rememberthose Temple/Delaware days where I avoided my Delaware dad in case Temple was winning. I had heard that Temple dropped the game because it was a no win situation. They weren't winning much and even if they did they got little "credit" for a then DII win. This was a huge game in my house growing up.

RichH2
August 1st, 2012, 09:40 AM
Would be great to see Rutgers back @ year. Reminds me of my era. If we added G'Burg it would be a time warp bavk to the 60s.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 1st, 2012, 09:47 AM
2013 Fordham schedule
Aug. 31 RHODE ISLAND
Sept. 7 VILLANOVA UNIVERSITY
Sept. 14 Open
Sept. 21 COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY
Sept. 28 Open
Oct. 5 LEHIGH UNIVERSITY*
Oct. 12 at Georgetown University*
Oct. 19 at Yale University
Oct. 26 Open
Nov. 2 HOLY CROSS*
Nov. 9 BUCKNELL UNIVERSITY*
Nov. 16 at Lafayette College*
Nov. 23 at Colgate University*

The Temple game will either be 9/14 or 9/28.

bluehenbillk
August 1st, 2012, 09:58 AM
I rememberthose Temple/Delaware days where I avoided my Delaware dad in case Temple was winning. I had heard that Temple dropped the game because it was a no win situation. They weren't winning much and even if they did they got little "credit" for a then DII win. This was a huge game in my house growing up.

That's exactly what happened & TU admitted as much. UD was winning more than they were losing & bringing more fans to the games in Philly. Afterwards, TU went on a MEAC kick & started playing lesser 1-AA teams. I'd love to see the series resurrect.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 1st, 2012, 10:09 AM
That's exactly what happened & TU admitted as much. UD was winning more than they were losing & bringing more fans to the games in Philly. Afterwards, TU went on a MEAC kick & started playing lesser 1-AA teams. I'd love to see the series resurrect.

The last time Temple and UD played was 1985 in Newark, a 17-10 Hens win. UD dominated the series early on but it did even out in the 70's and 80's. Still, the Hens own a 22-14 all-time advantage over the Owls.

The series with Villanova served its purpose. It helped create interest in Temple football and college football in general in Philadelphia. Now Temple really has nothing to gain by it. Why do we want to play the same dangerous FCS opponent year after year? Until we become a national power, and that isn't happening anytime soon, the Wildcats will always have a fighting chance to beat us.

The biggest problem with Fordham is the fact they won't bring fans.

bluehenbillk
August 1st, 2012, 10:43 AM
The last time Temple and UD played was 1985 in Newark, a 17-10 Hens win. UD dominated the series early on but it did even out in the 70's and 80's. Still, the Hens own a 22-14 all-time advantage over the Owls.

The series with Villanova served its purpose. It helped create interest in Temple football and college football in general in Philadelphia. Now Temple really has nothing to gain by it. Why do we want to play the same dangerous FCS opponent year after year? Until we become a national power, and that isn't happening anytime soon, the Wildcats will always have a fighting chance to beat us.

The biggest problem with Fordham is the fact they won't bring fans.

Yea I did look and the last 10 games of the series from '76 to '85 were split evenly 5 wins each. TU fared better in the late 70's with Hardin's glory years & the Garden State Bowl(remember when they played that game) team, and UD did better in the 80's, winning 4 of the last 6 games of the series.

Agree 100% on Fordham not bringing fans. UD did & would do that, moreso than any other 1-AA team TU could play.

DFW HOYA
August 1st, 2012, 11:02 AM
Surprised Columbia is still on the 60-scholarship schedule for Fordham. When do the Ivies roll off?

van
August 1st, 2012, 11:07 AM
Surprised Columbia is still on the 60-scholarship schedule for Fordham. When do the Ivies roll off?

Who they gonna play? Each team needs 3 OOC, 24 games total. Got to be pretty hard to find that many non-schollie teams with open weeks.

van
August 1st, 2012, 11:09 AM

CAA teams seem to have fewer OOC games. Might be harder for Hens to fit into an FBS open date. Might be easier if the W Chester rivalry is going away. Is the Del St game going to be an annual thing?

DFW HOYA
August 1st, 2012, 11:13 AM
Who they gonna play? Each team needs 3 OOC, 24 games total. Got to be pretty hard to find that many non-schollie teams with open weeks.

Ivy teams will have options if they choose not to play multiple 60+ scholarship programs. Doesn't mean they have to go to the Pioneer to fill all the gaps, but there will be some creativity on scheduling it did not exercise before.

bluehenbillk
August 1st, 2012, 11:23 AM
CAA teams seem to have fewer OOC games. Might be harder for Hens to fit into an FBS open date. Might be easier if the W Chester rivalry is going away. Is the Del St game going to be an annual thing?

As far as we know DSU will be an ongoing series, but with the flux in the CAA UD fans haven't heard much in terms of future OOC games except our few 1-A games, which UD seems to only play in 12-game 1-AA seasons ('13, '14, '19).

ngineer
August 1st, 2012, 11:04 PM
That's apples to oranges. Temple-Lehigh has a very good chance of happening imo.

There was talk on the Temple rivals board before it died today about potential FCS teams and Delaware, JMU and Lehigh drew the most interest. We need to play teams that will bring fans!

I think a Temple-Lehigh game could draw 20-30,000 at the Linc. Back in 2005 or so, we had 20,000 at Franklin Field for Penn and with Temple having a bigger fan base, I'd think that could be exceeded.