PDA

View Full Version : DREAM I-AA GAMES.......

Eaglegus2
July 2nd, 2006, 08:58 AM
A few of my friends were discussing dream games matching the best of I-AA. These are Teams that only have the possibility of meeting either in the playoffs or the championship game.

My dream matchup during the regular season would be Montana. I wish there would be some way for the Administrations of both schools to finalize a home & home or a game at a neutral site. The neutral site would allow for a large number of fans of both schools to attend.

OH!! My dream matchup during the playoffs would be New Hampshire. (We owe them a defeat.:nod: ) Really, I would like for GSU to make the playoffs and play anyone.:hurray:

FUwolfpacker
July 2nd, 2006, 09:31 AM
I'd like to see Furman vs Montana, Southern Illinois, Western Kentucky, Northern Iowa, or Youngstown State

Jag4Life
July 2nd, 2006, 09:57 AM
SU vs Appy State! SU vs Montana! Grambling vs Appy State, Grambling vs GA Southern! Grambling vs NDSU! Grambling vs Delaware! SU vs The Citadel! SU & Grambling vs Furman!

foghorn
July 2nd, 2006, 10:09 AM
SU vs Appy State! SU vs Montana! Grambling vs Appy State, Grambling vs GA Southern! Grambling vs NDSU! Grambling vs Delaware! SU vs The Citadel! SU & Grambling vs Furman!

Grambling vs. Delaware would be a great game! Deeply etched in the memories of the UD fans who were around at the time, is a 17-8 loss to Grambling in the Boardwalk Bowl, played at Atlantic City in the 70's. The game was not as close as the score as Grambling kicked our a$$es. :mad:
We owe you one!:nod:

swaghook
July 2nd, 2006, 10:12 AM
NDSU vs Grambling would be good. It's been many years since they last played with NDSU winning a national title.

The NDSU vs Georgia Southern is one that I had wanted to see and this year it will happen. GSU has the most I-AA titles and NDSU holds the most DII titles. It's just too bad that they aren't going to be the same GSU of the past. Either way I believe NDSU will take it to them.:nod:

NDSU vs Montana for a home and home. We beat them at their house while still being DII. I would think they would want a chance at pay back. But maybe they are afraid.

NDSU vs UNI just a good match up between former NCC conference members that are both now strong members of I-AA.

And of course NDSU vs Montana St. we owe them a loss after last years hard fought game.

JBB
July 2nd, 2006, 10:34 AM
I presume we are talking non conference.

Montana @ NDSU, Fabulous Fargo Dome
Grambling @ NDSU, Fabulous Fargo Dome
UNI @ NDSU, Fabulous Fargo Dome

These are games we dont have scheduled. We have a couple of dream games coming up, GSU comes to mind, among others.

TexasTerror
July 2nd, 2006, 10:36 AM
SHSU has played Montana before...several times.

I think I'd love to see SHSU versus the Ivies, James Madison, William & Mary and Appalachian State...

Ronbo
July 2nd, 2006, 10:52 AM
NDSU vs Grambling would be good. It's been many years since they last played with NDSU winning a national title.

The NDSU vs Georgia Southern is one that I had wanted to see and this year it will happen. GSU has the most I-AA titles and NDSU holds the most DII titles. It's just too bad that they aren't going to be the same GSU of the past. Either way I believe NDSU will take it to them.:nod:

NDSU vs Montana for a home and home. We beat them at their house while still being DII. I would think they would want a chance at pay back. But maybe they are afraid.

NDSU vs UNI just a good match up between former NCC conference members that are both now strong members of I-AA.

And of course NDSU vs Montana St. we owe them a loss after last years hard fought game.

You need to do the math. We make $650,000 playing Iowa. We make $650,000 minus expenses for a home game ($400,000 +). Yeah we're afraid, we're afraid of the paultry 60-75K you'd pay us to come there.

DetroitFlyer
July 2nd, 2006, 11:00 AM
All time, YSU has never defeated UD. It is far past time that we continue our mastery over YSU.... Seriously though, it is just plain silly for the only two I-AA teams in Ohio not to play one another. I-AA Championship of Ohio, Dayton vs. YSU!

joe c
July 2nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Grambling vs. Delaware would be a great game! Deeply etched in the memories of the UD fans who were around at the time, is a 17-8 loss to Grambling in the Boardwalk Bowl, played at Atlantic City in the 70's. The game was not as close as the score as Grambling kicked our a$$es. :mad:
We owe you one!:nod:

Hey Foggie, That game was actually the only Boardwalk Bowl to be played as a Division II Playoff game. We were manhandled by a team that sent numerous players to the NFL. Also Sir Tubby kept ridiculously trying to pound the belly series into a huge Grambling D' line. I believe that game is still the record for lowest amount of rushing yards by UD. We were negative something. What a great Grambling squad.

My dream matchup would be Delaware vs McNeese St. A quality program in a 2 great settings. Also of course not far behind would be a home and away with Montana. Our mini rivalry with GSU was alot of fun as well.

swaghook
July 2nd, 2006, 11:15 AM
You need to do the math. We make $650,000 playing Iowa. We make $650,000 minus expenses for a home game ($400,000 +). Yeah we're afraid, we're afraid of the paultry 60-75K you'd pay us to come there.Yes, the great Griz use money as an excuse to not play the tough OOC competion outside of the play offs.:rolleyes:

DuckDuckGriz
July 2nd, 2006, 11:56 AM
Yes, the great Griz use money as an excuse to not play the tough OOC competion outside of the play offs.:rolleyes:

Since the 03 season...

Maine
Hofstra
Sam Houston State
Oregon
Iowa
South Dakota State (x2)

NDSU could beat (maybe) SDSU and Hofstra out of that group.

ucdtim17
July 2nd, 2006, 01:21 PM
Since the 03 season...

Maine
Hofstra
Sam Houston State
Oregon
Iowa
South Dakota State (x2)

NDSU could beat (maybe) SDSU and Hofstra out of that group.

Oh give me a break :rolleyes:

NDSU would be favored over all of them, save the I-A's

DuckDuckGriz
July 2nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
Oh give me a break :rolleyes:

NDSU would be favored over all of them, save the I-A's

That Sam Houston team was from 2004 when they killed the Griz in Huntsville and then lost to UM in the semis. NDSU would have not had a prayer. Maine would have rocked them too (2004)

HI54UNI
July 2nd, 2006, 01:37 PM
UNI vs. Montana
UNI vs. Delaware

paytonlives
July 2nd, 2006, 01:45 PM

I think I'd love to see SHSU versus the Ivies, James Madison, William & Mary and Appalachian State...

And if I remember right it has been pretty ugly.

ucdtim17
July 2nd, 2006, 02:01 PM
That Sam Houston team was from 2004 when they killed the Griz in Huntsville and then lost to UM in the semis. NDSU would have not had a prayer. Maine would have rocked them too (2004)

I'm thinking current

slostang
July 2nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
I would like to see Cal Poly play any of the big three from the Southern Conference: GSU, App. St. or Furman.

Ronbo
July 2nd, 2006, 02:20 PM
I'm looking at NDSU's schedule and seeing a "possible" 6-5 season ahead. Now note I said possible. If they go 7-4 or 8-3 then I would call it a great season.

At Minn.- could they beat the Gophs, not as tough as us beating Iowa but tough.

At Ball State - will be close but this is a MAC team at home and they should take it. Any victory against a I-A at their house is an upset. Ball State has 15 returning starters and 57 letter winners from a 4-7 team (4-4 in the MAC).

At Georgia Southern - tougher game than at MSU last year.

Cal Poly - the Mustangs play surprisingly tough on the road.

At Davis - is this a toss up or will Davis be favored.

At SFA - NDSU should be favored here but I'm hearing from the Southland folks that SFA is the next big surprise team.

That leaves 5 games that should be wins. With the 6 above it will be very hard to go 3-3 and if NDSU does go 8-3 with this schedule they are under rated right now.

EKU05
July 2nd, 2006, 02:43 PM
I'd like EKU vs. GA Southern. GSU has the most titles, but I believe EKU is still clinging (barely) to most wins all-time in I-AA. The Colonels also still have one playoff appearance on GSU despite the fact that we haven't been since 1997. When taken as a whole since 1978 I'd say these are the top 2 I-AA programs (YSU could make quite a claim of their own though, and I'm exluding the now departed Marshall).

TexasTerror
July 2nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking current

Why think current? In 2004, SHSU was one of the top teams in the country. Montana played them in Huntsville, a very tough place to play in September for a team like Montana.

You folks say Montana plays no ones. That 2004 team was one of the top teams and having played them on the road made Montana a better team in the long run...

TexasTerror
July 2nd, 2006, 03:36 PM
At SFA - NDSU should be favored here but I'm hearing from the Southland folks that SFA is the next big surprise team.

Which SLC folks are those? SFA is going to need loads of help to get out of the cellar of the conference...

Ronbo
July 2nd, 2006, 03:43 PM
My bad, I do remember a couple guys listing them as their surprise team of 2006.

ucdtim17
July 2nd, 2006, 04:36 PM
Why think current? In 2004, SHSU was one of the top teams in the country. Montana played them in Huntsville, a very tough place to play in September for a team like Montana.

You folks say Montana plays no ones. That 2004 team was one of the top teams and having played them on the road made Montana a better team in the long run...

That was 2 years ago. Last year SHSU was 3-7 and NDSU was 7-4. NDSU is ranked top 10-15 preseason, SHSU is unranked.

TexasTerror
July 2nd, 2006, 04:41 PM
That was 2 years ago. Last year SHSU was 3-7 and NDSU was 7-4. NDSU is ranked top 10-15 preseason, SHSU is unranked.

What matters most is what a team's record is when you play them. You can sign a home-and-home years in advance with the team you signed it against being a cupcake or a top of the line foe.

Are you playing cupcakes or are you playing real deals? Montana is not running from anyone as NDSU foes suggest. Because they do so well financially, they can pick and choose whom they play and they do play quality opponents. They played an NCAA I-AA semifinalist twice in 2004 (SHSU). You judge people by who they play and at the time, SHSU was one of the best programs in the country (atleast that given year).

Killtoppers90
July 2nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
I'd like to see WKU against several teams:

Ga. Southern (they were SO nice to us last time we met)
Montana
UD
New Hampshire
SHSU (We owe you guys a good one)

But I doubt any of those will be this season. I am not hearing great things from Camp Elson thus far. Looks like a long road for the Toppers this season.

TexasTerror
July 2nd, 2006, 05:06 PM
SHSU (We owe you guys a good one)

Bearkat faithful would love a home-and-home against Western Kentucky...

Perhaps when we're done with the Missouri St series, we can sign on to play the Hilltoppers. I know we already have atleast one game with Western Illinois in the wings...

Umass74
July 2nd, 2006, 05:42 PM
How about we make this a real dream season.

12 games
six home and six away
Teams:UNH,Appy, Montana, JMU and UMass
three games against each opponent
Appy and JMU have to play @ UNH, UMass and Montana in late Oct and Nov
UMass, Montana and UNH have to play Appy and JMU in the heat of Sept and ealy Oct

Who ends up winning the challange match. :)

ucdtim17
July 2nd, 2006, 07:13 PM
What matters most is what a team's record is when you play them. You can sign a home-and-home years in advance with the team you signed it against being a cupcake or a top of the line foe.

Are you playing cupcakes or are you playing real deals? Montana is not running from anyone as NDSU foes suggest. Because they do so well financially, they can pick and choose whom they play and they do play quality opponents. They played an NCAA I-AA semifinalist twice in 2004 (SHSU). You judge people by who they play and at the time, SHSU was one of the best programs in the country (atleast that given year).

I'm not trying to knock UM or SHSU, just defend NDSU. NDSU is a legit top 15 team and would be favored over most teams

Lapper
July 2nd, 2006, 07:18 PM
Coastal vs La Cid :thumbsup:

GaSouthern
July 2nd, 2006, 07:21 PM
Montana & Harvard is my only two I really wanna see.

I wish I saw more of SCSU, Savannah State, Valdosta State, Samford rather than the pasty's we manage to pick up. All of those would be better games and would draw more people! CCU and NDSU are the only ooc games I want to see of ours this year, but I will be at all of them. CCU would be on my list if we were not playing them, I expect the big three to roll CCU (one down two to go!)

MR. CHICKEN
July 2nd, 2006, 07:33 PM
AH'M DREAMIN' O'[email protected] COOP!.....:nod:.....BRAWK!

TexasTerror
July 2nd, 2006, 07:47 PM
AH'M DREAMIN' O'[email protected] COOP!.....:nod:.....BRAWK!

Does the Chicken do southern locales? Any Texas or Louisiana stop preferred by everyone's favorite BRAWKer!

Grizo406
July 2nd, 2006, 08:18 PM
A game with Georgia Southern, or Delaware, every year, at their place or ours, or even Chattanooga, would be just fine with me.

UNHcats
July 2nd, 2006, 10:16 PM
How about we make this a real dream season.

12 games
six home and six away
Teams:UNH,Appy, Montana, JMU and UMass
three games against each opponent
Appy and JMU have to play @ UNH, UMass and Montana in late Oct and Nov
UMass, Montana and UNH have to play Appy and JMU in the heat of Sept and ealy Oct

Who ends up winning the challange match. :)

Probably would be the most amazing match ups in 1-AA history...........total insanity, i love it

paytonlives
July 2nd, 2006, 10:58 PM
I would love to see UM get another shot at Georgia Southern.

seantaylor
July 3rd, 2006, 03:10 AM

Tell you what. I'll give you 5 points for $200. You game?

Grizo406
July 3rd, 2006, 05:07 AM
GSU has the most I-AA titles and NDSU holds the most DII titles. It's just too bad that they aren't going to be the same GSU of the past. Either way I believe NDSU will take it to them.:nod:

And it's too bad that Georgia Southern isn't going to be playing the same NDSU team(s) that won all those DII titles. I think it's REAL GOOD for NDSU that they don't have to face a GSU team from the past too. I'm picking the Eagles, big, in this one.

I'd be all for a home-home game with the Bison. You guy's beat us at our house, and big props to ya'...you earned that win! It was as big a victory for your program as it was a disappointment for ours.

Yeah, we're real afraid...so afraid, that we're playing Iowa instead of you...go figure.

MR. CHICKEN
July 3rd, 2006, 08:14 AM
Does the Chicken do southern locales? Any Texas or Louisiana stop preferred by everyone's favorite BRAWKer!

TERRORIZER.....WOULD LIKES TA SEE DEM CRAZY "CREAMSICLE" UNIS.....COME NORFF...OR MEET YA HALFWAY.....LET'S SAY......IN 'NOOGA!..........:rotateh::nod::rotateh:.......... AWK!

DUH MOUSEKETEERS...WOULD BE WELCOME IN NEWARK..TOO.....BRAWK!

89Hen
July 3rd, 2006, 09:19 AM
I would have to say AppSt because the Hens have never played them. Already done UM, GSU, YSU, FU, UNI.... :twocents:

MYTAPPY
July 3rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
I would have to say AppSt because the Hens have never played them. Already done UM, GSU, YSU, FU, UNI.... :twocents:

I agree with you 89Hen, App/UD would be a great game. I would like to see McNeese State and App.

walliver
July 3rd, 2006, 11:41 AM
I would be happy playing anybody in December.

Go...gate
July 3rd, 2006, 11:45 AM
Harvard vs. Liberty

Colgate vs. Grambling

Delaware vs. GSU

Youngstown State vs. Lehigh

The Gadfly
July 3rd, 2006, 12:44 PM
Rematch with Appy in Conway

Ga Southern and Furman ( '06 season :hurray: )

The Citadel ( which will be seasonal pretty soon :thumbsup: )

ButlerGSU
July 3rd, 2006, 01:01 PM
I think all GSU fans would be excited to have a home and away with the Griz. Aside from that game, I'd like to see UDel, UNI or Youngstown.

Killtoppers90
July 3rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
Besides the games I mentioned earlier, it is nice to see many of Gateway teams being mentioned as some of the best in this conversation. So it is kinda like the Gateway is a dream conference (yeah yeah - except in the playoffs)!

ngineer
July 3rd, 2006, 04:20 PM
I'd like to see us play Cal Poly. Two schools with strong engineering reputations and great wrestling teams, as well. The few times the teams have wrestled they have been great battles. Plus, I'd like the trip..I don't think we have ever played CP.

swaghook
July 3rd, 2006, 07:36 PM
Tell you what. I'll give you 5 points for $200. You game?Was that $2.00? I like my marriage.;) My wife would have my head if I laid down a bet like that win or lose.

RabidRabbit
July 3rd, 2006, 07:57 PM
Jacks vs. 'Guin's again. Enjoyed those games in DII in 70's.
SDSU vs SCSU - See which South St. U rises
SDSU vs Del - Look forward to '10
SDSU vs SoCon big three - after we're at full schollie level.

Thanks Southern/Big Sky for the out of conference games to date.:thumbsup:

thirdgendin
July 3rd, 2006, 10:40 PM
I'd like to see Furman vs Montana, Southern Illinois, Western Kentucky, Northern Iowa, or Youngstown State

Well, I've seen three of those, all in the playoffs. And we're 2-1, although I would much rather have beaten Montana due to the circumstances.

July 3rd, 2006, 10:48 PM
Georgia Southern @ Harvard
Delaware @ Cal Poly
Montana @ Eastern Kentucky
Grambling @ Dayton
McNeese State @ Penn

GreatAppSt
July 3rd, 2006, 10:50 PM
I would like a rematch with Montana.

JBB
July 4th, 2006, 01:13 AM
I'm looking at NDSU's schedule and seeing a "possible" 6-5 season ahead. Now note I said possible. If they go 7-4 or 8-3 then I would call it a great season.

At Minn.- could they beat the Gophs, not as tough as us beating Iowa but tough.

At Ball State - will be close but this is a MAC team at home and they should take it. Any victory against a I-A at their house is an upset. Ball State has 15 returning starters and 57 letter winners from a 4-7 team (4-4 in the MAC).

At Georgia Southern - tougher game than at MSU last year.

Cal Poly - the Mustangs play surprisingly tough on the road.

At Davis - is this a toss up or will Davis be favored.

That leaves 5 games that should be wins. With the 6 above it will be very hard to go 3-3 and if NDSU does go 8-3 with this schedule they are under rated right now.

Post worth noting. Well thought out. A good schedule for the BISON.

July 4th, 2006, 01:59 AM
... Any victory against a I-A at their house is an upset...See what I mean Ronbo? You seem to be a flat-out I-A lover. I am never astonished when a I-AA beats a I-A. Why are you?

Ivytalk
July 4th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Harvard against Montana, Bill & Mary, or Grambling.

LUHawker
July 4th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Lehigh vs. Appy St. (two schools on mountains)
Penn vs. William & Mary (battle of two of the oldest schools)
Colgate vs. James Madison (battle of the two Madison schools - Colgate was formerly known as Madison University)
Lafayette vs. Furman (battle of similarly-sized, similarly-aged and similarly-ranked fine liberal arts colleges)

McNeese72
July 4th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I'd love a regular season home and home with Montana so that I can make the trip up there.

Doc

spoogemcgee18
July 4th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Appalchian State Mountaineers vs. West Virginia Mountaineers--just to frustrate the hell out of the commentators.

spoogemcgee18
July 4th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Lehigh vs. Appy St. (two schools on mountains)
Penn vs. William & Mary (battle of two of the oldest schools)
Colgate vs. James Madison (battle of the two Madison schools - Colgate was formerly known as Madison University)
Lafayette vs. Furman (battle of similarly-sized, similarly-aged and similarly-ranked fine liberal arts colleges)

If you call 340 feet above sea level a mountain.

Jag4Life
July 4th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Appalchian State Mountaineers vs. West Virginia Mountaineers--just to frustrate the hell out of the commentators.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

CatFan22
July 4th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I would kill to see a Montana vs. Montana State national championship. I can see it now............:beerchug:

kats89
July 4th, 2006, 02:17 PM
My bad, I do remember a couple guys listing them as their surprise team of 2006.

They would definitely be a suprise to get out of the cellar.xlolx Even in our crappiest years they haven't been able to beat us and if they did beat us it wasn't easy.

My personal suprise team out of Southland is SE Louisiana. Could be a sleeper to reach playoffs.

I would like to see SHSU play App. St, James Madison or Furman just once.

I would also like to see SHSU and Montana St renew a home & home series again.

sdgriz24
July 4th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I would kill to see a Montana vs. Montana State national championship. I can see it now............:beerchug:

I'd worry about actually getting there before you say who ya want to play.

And I want to see Ga Southern and also Idaho again.

skinny_uncle
July 4th, 2006, 04:40 PM
4 of your 5 picks are Gateway teams. Maybe you just need to switch leagues.

MR. CHICKEN
July 4th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Delaware @ Cal Poly
Grambling @ Dayton
McNeese State @ Penn

APPALACHIAN STATE vs EASTERN WASHINGTON

THE CITADEL vs RHODE ISLAND

VILLANOVA vs MONTANA STATE

UMASS vs UC DAVIS

NORFFEASTERN vs NORFFWESTERN ST.

EASTERN KENTUCKY vs WEBER STATE

AN' DUH LIST GOES ON..................xcoffeex..............DOODLE-DOO!

TexasTerror
July 4th, 2006, 09:51 PM
NORFFEASTERN vs NORFFWESTERN ST.

We actually saw that game...

Northwestern State 14, Northeastern 12
(Oct 29, 2005 at Natchitoches, La.)

Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
----------------- -- -- -- -- -----
Northeastern........ 3 3 0 6 - 12
Northwestern State.. 7 0 7 0 - 14

ngineer
July 4th, 2006, 09:54 PM
If you call 340 feet above sea level a mountain.

Not sure what you're refering to, but South Mountain is approximately 1100 feet. Lehigh's campus extends from the northern side in Bethelehem's Southside (about 300-400' above sea level), but campus then runs right up the mountain to the Iaccoca research labs and then down the south side of the mountain to the Goodman athletic campus..So, yes, there is a mountain in the middle of the University...:read:

NSUDemon98
July 5th, 2006, 12:05 AM

I was at that game. One of the more boring games I have ever witnessed.

CatFan22
July 5th, 2006, 02:11 AM
I'd worry about actually getting there before you say who ya want to play.

And I want to see Ga Southern and also Idaho again.

Sorry?

Kill'em
July 5th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Of course I want to see Montana in a home-and-home. I also want TXST and Western Kentucky. We owe these two... big time. However, my real dream games would be against Grambling or Southern University. These schools have great traditions and many of us know little about them. It would be fun. Think about this: GSU vs GSU or Southern vs Southern.:D

Kill'em
July 5th, 2006, 06:43 AM

Think so, huh? xidiotx

flexbone
July 5th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Georgia Southern at Montana - always talked about with my friends, game to be played in the fall - cool weather not freezing.
Georgia Southern at Delaware - on a wet Delaware field, drizzly rain - match-up of 2 old school option teams
Georgia Southern at Cal Poly - Hot and Sunny day
Georgia Southern at Harvard - just for the history of the program

DUPFLFan
July 5th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Drake vs any Ivy Team - on a regular basis

Mr. Tiger
July 5th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Delaware @ Cal Poly
Grambling @ Dayton
McNeese State @ Penn

Grambling @ Dayton?????
McNeese State @ Penn????

Why? Just curious.

Here are mine:
Grambling vs App. State
Southern U. vs Furman
Jackson State vs Jacksonville State (Battle of the JSUs) xlolx
Jackson State vs McNeese State (we have played Nichols, SFA, Northwestern State, and SE Louisiana in the past, but never McNeese State.)

carney2
July 5th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Neither within the letter nor the spirit of this thread, but I live my dream every year on the Saturday before Thanksgiving at the Lafayette-Lehigh game. The rest of the season is merely an extended scrimmage.

Oh yeah, an easy way to remember where the game will be played in any given year is

LEHIGH IS ODD!

as in we traveled to Bethlehem (actually Saucon Valley) in 2005, 2003, 2001, etc.

McNeese75
July 5th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Most of my dream games for McNeese have already been played :) (Montanta, YSU, Delaware, Georgia Southern)

Others that would be of interest include,

McNeese vs App State
McNeese vs Furman
McNeese vs James Madison
McNeese vs NDSU

grizbeer
July 5th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Home and Home with Delaware and GSU. And a trip to Harvard would be great. As far as teams Montana owes a return trip to I would have to say Cal Poly has to be at the top of the list after the Griz bailed on them a couple years ago. A trip to NDSU would be good also.

BusinessEagle
July 5th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Too bad the athletic departments don't let fans do the scheduling. From the looks of previous posts, we would put up some pretty exciting games. :)

GAD
July 5th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Tenn St.
FAMU : these games be so good the schools have so much tradition
together dating back.

South Carolina St.
North Carolina A&T
Bethune-Cookman
Hampton :these games would just be so much fun and the
atmosphere would be unreal

Norfolk State:I just believe with the right coach they are the next big thing.

MR. CHICKEN
July 5th, 2006, 03:54 PM

OH.....:o......ER....UH....UM....AWK!

DEN LET'S DO IT AGIN".........DOODLE-DOO!

SO ILLmatic
July 5th, 2006, 04:51 PM
My picks for SIU, one team from every conference...

A10=Delaware (Rematch of 03 playoff game)
Big Sky=Montana (who doesnt want a shot @ The Griz?)
Big South=Coastal Carolina (good future ahead for this team)
Great West=NDSU (we need a return game @ the Fargodome)
Ivy=Harvard (the history & they would prolly put up the best game)
MAAC=Duquense (best team in conf.)
MEAC=Hampton (usually best team in conf.)
NEC=Albany (the battle of the dawgs, danes & salukis)
OVC=Eastern IL (its always a good day when we get a W over the Panthers)
Patriot=Lafayette (great stadium & support)
Pioneer=Drake (fellow MVC team)
Southern= GA Southern (great tradition & great teams to match)
Southland=TX State (had a great season last year)
SWAC=Grambling (great history behind the Tigers)

GAD
July 6th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Of course I want to see Montana in a home-and-home. I also want TXST and Western Kentucky. We owe these two... big time. However, my real dream games would be against Grambling or Southern University. These schools have great traditions and many of us know little about them. It would be fun. Think about this: GSU vs GSU or Southern vs Southern.:D
Southern vs Southern has been a very popular idea around here amongst the fans I would love to see it happen.

Cap'n Cat
July 6th, 2006, 04:38 PM
You need to do the math. We make $650,000 playing Iowa. We make $650,000 minus expenses for a home game ($400,000 +). Yeah we're afraid, we're afraid of the paultry 60-75K you'd pay us to come there.

Ronbo, judging from your posts, you are absolutely obsessed with this money shat, like many of the SWAC guys. So, you're gettin' 650Big, we don't care anymore. Remember, it's a game, too.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cap'n Cat
July 6th, 2006, 04:39 PM
UNI vs. Montana
UNI vs. Delaware

HI5,
Your politics suck, but I agree here. Get them in the Dome. Certain "Game Of The Year" tilts.

:p :p :p :p

Cap'n Cat
July 6th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Not a lot of people "dreamin' 'bout playin' UNI...

:confused:

As mentioned above,

Montana @ UNI
Delaware @ UNI

Also:

Northern Iowa and Grambling, home/home
Northern Iowa @ Georgia Southern, first week of the season
Furman @ Appy State, like LY's playoff game
Any Gateway contender @ Delaware
Southern Illinois @ Montana, playoff game

AZGrizFan
July 6th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Baby steps, CatFan, baby steps. First, you have to GET to the playoffs.....:D :D :D ;) ;) ;)

RabidRabbit
July 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM
[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup: This Rabbit's looking forward to playing our old NCC rival :thumbsup:

Hope this isn't a one shot deal, and that we're looking at a return trip to Brookings. Has it been since the '78 tilt that UNI been to Brookings? Or even play? :)

DuckDuckGriz
July 6th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I think Eastern Washington & Sam Houston State would be interesting to see on a regular basis.

Both are contenders that come around and win their league once in a while, both live by the high powered aerial assault offense sure to light up the scoreboard.

Plus, if the last meeting was any indication......:rotateh:

bulldog10jw
July 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Harvard against Montana, Bill & Mary, or Grambling.

Ivytalk, hasn't Harvard played W&M. I know Yale has because I was at 2 of the games. One was played in Norfolk in, I believe, the early '80's and was called the "Oyster Bowl" and was some kind of special game for charity (the shriners sponsored it). W&M won something like 28-14. The other game was in '87 and was the week after Yale played Hawaii. I remember the jetlag. Great game, back and forth all day. Yale won 40-34 and the game ended with W&M on about the Yale 30.

I thought I remembered Harvard playing them around the same time period.

bulldog10jw
July 6th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Yale vs. NAU
Yale vs. a 1-AA California school (not USD)

Then I could attend the game. Not U of San Diego because I have been there twice.

blukeys
July 6th, 2006, 08:47 PM

As mentioned above,

Montana @ UNI
Delaware @ UNI
Also:

IT would definitely be fun to watch!!!!!!!!

I don't see it happenning for financial reasons but these would be GREAT GAMES!!!!!!!!

ucdtim17
July 6th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Yale vs. NAU
Yale vs. a 1-AA California school (not USD)

Then I could attend the game. Not U of San Diego because I have been there twice.

We'd love to have you in Davis. I think I'd enjoy the return trip even more though - the Yale Bowl seems like a place every college football fan should visit at some point

McNeeserocket
July 7th, 2006, 10:47 AM
I agree with you 89Hen, App/UD would be a great game. I would like to see McNeese State and App.

Hey Let's "Get er done!" McNeese would love to have a home and away with Appst. Your people should call my people. I would be at both games!!

OL FU
July 7th, 2006, 10:57 AM

As mentioned above,

Montana @ UNI
Delaware @ UNI

Also:

Northern Iowa and Grambling, home/home
Northern Iowa @ Georgia Southern, first week of the season
Furman @ Appy State, like LY's playoff game
Southern Illinois @ Montana, playoff game

Furman against UNI would be great. I don't think we have ever played which is why I also would love to see us against McNeese.

As to the one in Bold, you get that one every year and it is always close

Pay attention:D

McNeeserocket
July 7th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I would love for McNeese to play the following:
Cal Poly
Furman
Appst.
Southern Illinois
New Hampshire
Eastern Washington

And I would especially love to see McNeese re-play the following:
Northern Iowa
Delaware
Maine
James Madison
Georgia Southern
Youngstown St.
Western Kentucky
Montana State
Weber (just so I could see the beautiful backdrop of the mountains while being in the stadium)
Grambling (great in-state rivalry and great fans)
Southern (could/should be great in-state rivalry, but that is another story)
and of course......Montana (but then we probably get to play them any year we get in the playoffs! Talk about a good game and great fans!!!!

bulldog10jw
July 7th, 2006, 01:17 PM
We'd love to have you in Davis. I think I'd enjoy the return trip even more though - the Yale Bowl seems like a place every college football fan should visit at some point

I agree, a home and home would be fun. You never know either. Yale has scheduled more games in different areas of the country in the last 20 years than they ever have before. Northern California seems like a natural since they have never played in that area.

Yale Bowl info for you:

http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/facilities/facbowl.html

Cap'n Cat
July 7th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Furman against UNI would be great. I don't think we have ever played which is why I also would love to see us against McNeese.

As to the one in Bold, you get that one every year and it is always close

Pay attention:D

Um, every OTHER year, pardner.

:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

:p :p :p

OL FU
July 7th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Oh doesn't count when we play in Paladin Stadium:confused:

BigApp
July 8th, 2006, 02:35 PM

with the exception of The Citadel and NDSU, if you participated in the playoff, chances are you'd have already played these games!

BigApp
July 8th, 2006, 02:50 PM

2006 is the 3rd consecutive year Furrywoman has visited Boone. How much more frequent do you need it?

eaglesrthe1
July 9th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Too bad the athletic departments don't let fans do the scheduling. From the looks of previous posts, we would put up some pretty exciting games. :)

It would be some exiting games. But there would probably be several powerhouses that would miss the playoffs with those schedules, just through attrition. I could see McNeese, GSU, UD, Montana, WKU, JMU, ASU, UNH, etc playing each other and all of them coming out .500 and sitting at home.xlolx

Polywog
July 9th, 2006, 11:29 AM
I'd like to see Cal Poly come up to Portland to play Portland State. I got my undergrad degree at Poly and my masters at PSU, so these are my two favorite 1AA teams. But I am first and foremost a Cal Poly fan.

As a Cal Poly alum now living in Oregon, this is my best chance to see the Mustangs play (and probably win) without having to get on a plane to do so.

McNeese72
July 10th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Most of my dream games for McNeese have already been played :) (Montanta, YSU, Delaware, Georgia Southern)

Others that would be of interest include,

McNeese vs App State
McNeese vs Furman
McNeese vs James Madison
McNeese vs NDSU

The James Madison game has already happened in 1995. The was the game with The KicK by Kerry Joseph that made the ESPN highlights.

Doc

Eaglegus2
July 10th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Another matchup that I would like to see is:

Georgia Southern v. Northern Iowa

It would be a rematch of the 1985 semi-finals that the Cap'n played in. Maybe, this time Cap'n Cat wouldn't be on the losing side.xlolx xlolx :nod:

LUHawker
July 10th, 2006, 10:06 AM
My picks for SIU, one team from every conference...
Patriot=Lafayette (great stadium & support)

If you are citing great stadium and support, you could not possibly be referring to Lafayette. I can only assume you meant Lehigh.

SO ILLmatic
July 10th, 2006, 10:33 AM
If you are citing great stadium and support, you could not possibly be referring to Lafayette. I can only assume you meant Lehigh.

Im not dragging myself in the middle of a Lehigh-Lafayette fight.

I commend both teams on the the quality of their schools and their football programs. Im sure that the Salukis would take the opportunity to also play the Mountain Hawks. A home & home series would be an appealing offer from both schools.

Cap'n Cat
July 10th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Another matchup that I would like to see is:

Georgia Southern v. Northern Iowa

It would be a rematch of the 1985 semi-finals that the Cap'n played in. Maybe, this time Cap'n Cat wouldn't be on the losing side.xlolx xlolx :nod:

July 10 AGS "Guys To Slap" List:

http://www.pictoreal.com/images/thumbs/large/50684.jpg

1. EagleGus

2. Ralph

3. AZGrizFan

4. Baldy

5. PantherMan

:o :o :o :p :p :p :p :p xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GoGuins
July 26th, 2006, 12:07 PM
All time, YSU has never defeated UD. It is far past time that we continue our mastery over YSU.... Seriously though, it is just plain silly for the only two I-AA teams in Ohio not to play one another. I-AA Championship of Ohio, Dayton vs. YSU!

Somewhat of a discussion on the YSU board about the 2 playing

-ItalianPenguinWe have this discussion about every 6 months and some of you are either thick-headed (no, not you Paladin ) or absent-minded. Dayton told Strollo to his face they don't need our money and won't play. Until they change leadership, that's it! All other 1-AA non-schollies that were contacted, including Duquesne, Robert Morris, Valpo, Butler, etc. said no thanks.

Pantherpower
July 26th, 2006, 06:41 PM
In no particular order:

UNI away:

Harvard
Yale
McNeese (missed opp. to tailgate last time we were there)
Grambling
Georgia Southern (UNI would break out the hambone offense and break the hearts of GSU fans in the form of a 40-33 setback in the 2006 semifinal game)

UNI home:

Montana
Delaware
Appalachian State
(yes, they would all be revenge games)

ngineer
July 26th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Im not dragging myself in the middle of a Lehigh-Lafayette fight.
I commend both teams on the the quality of their schools and their football programs. Im sure that the Salukis would take the opportunity to also play the Mountain Hawks. A home & home series would be an appealing offer from both schools.

Good for you. Your perception is very good for not having been on this Board very long. As evidenced by the emotional displays put forth by both Leopard and Mountain Hawk posters, I dare say The Arch Rivalry is played out everywhere across the land, regardless of sport, locale, or subject.:nod:

Shockerman
July 26th, 2006, 07:31 PM
EASY for me.....SHOX VS BEARS

RabidRabbit
July 26th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I think a Dome-n-Dome series for the two ex-NCC schools would be great. Especially starting in '08!

igo4uni
July 26th, 2006, 10:07 PM
UNI home:

Montana
Delaware
Appalachian State
(yes, they would all be revenge games)

Oh yes!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Frosty The Snowbuff
July 26th, 2006, 10:31 PM

That must have been the game I missed that season.....

Looks like we underestimated that Northeastern Defense....Good thing they had a hard time scoring.

Frosty The Snowbuff
July 26th, 2006, 10:37 PM
No disrespect to all the great 1-AA programs.

But a matchup us Demons fans haven't seen in ages is.....

vs. Louisiana Tech

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing ULM vs Deleware...since my cousin never beat them in the playoffs back in the 90's (The days of Raymond Philyaw, Roosevelt Potts, and Greg Robinson).

Frosty The Snowbuff
July 26th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Although.....Cal-Poly would be an interesting matchup..

ASU Kep
July 26th, 2006, 11:49 PM
ASU vs. Montana
ASU vs. CCU (anytime, anywhere :D)

Thats in terms of I-AA vs. I-AA OOC, and theres a decent chance we'll meet at least one of the two sometime this year (during our playoff run :D).

My dream I-AA vs. I-A game is already confirmed:

ASU vs. UGA, 2009. Biggest. Game. Of. My. Life. (As a fan, anyway). :p

ASU Kep
July 26th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Oh, and throw UNI in there too, just so we could whoop em again'.

Husky Alum
July 27th, 2006, 09:11 AM

To really screw up announcers and media outlets, Northeastern will play Northwestern (of the Big 10) on September 1, 2007.

We had a 4 year deal with them in men's hoops, and I remember the score of the first game in the series was on ESPN and the announcer said something like "In a game that should NEVER be played again for obvious reasons" Northwestern beat Northeastern 74-70.

FlyYtown
July 27th, 2006, 01:17 PM

For a penguin fan like me:
Youngstown State vs. Montana [home and home----the stadiums is reason enough for the game with the tradition]

Youngstown St. vs Delaware in the playoffs.

Maroons
July 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM

This game has already happened once... An ugly affair in Missoula in the 95 playoffs. Montana 48, EKU 0

I like it anytime teams with traditions meet up, so any game between EKU and a former national champion would be a must see for me. However, particularly special would be any game between EKU and other schools with multiple I-AA titles.

EKU v. Ga. Southern (Series tied 2-2)
EKU v. Youngstown St. (EKU leads 12-8)
EKU v. Montana (Montana leads 1-0)

Unfortunately, Marshall and EKU wouldn't be the same anymore (Marshall leads 8-10-1)

As exciting as those games would be, I'd also love to play Murray State, Morehead State, or WKU in the I-AA title game for all the marbles.

89Hen
July 27th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Youngstown St. vs Delaware in the playoffs.
You sure you want that Fly? :p ;)

GoGuins
July 27th, 2006, 03:21 PM
You sure you want that Fly? :p ;)

I think he meant Delaware Statexlolx

SoCon48
July 27th, 2006, 03:59 PM

App did play W&M in '01 First Round of the play-offs.

caribbeanhen
July 18th, 2022, 06:52 PM
Hey Foggie, That game was actually the only Boardwalk Bowl to be played as a Division II Playoff game. We were manhandled by a team that sent numerous players to the NFL. Also Sir Tubby kept ridiculously trying to pound the belly series into a huge Grambling D' line. I believe that game is still the record for lowest amount of rushing yards by UD. We were negative something. What a great Grambling squad.

My dream matchup would be Delaware vs McNeese St. A quality program in a 2 great settings. Also of course not far behind would be a home and away with Montana. Our mini rivalry with GSU was alot of fun as well.

Joe C and Foghorn were both legendary posters on gohens and Unfortunately both are also no longer with us

For those that like to take a look back this thread and has some outstanding FCS history

Henny
July 19th, 2022, 09:16 AM
Joe C and Foghorn were both legendary posters on gohens and Unfortunately both are also no longer with us

For those that like to take a look back this thread and has some outstanding FCS history

Wow Carib, legends indeed. Thanks for digging that up!

ElCid
July 19th, 2022, 09:35 AM
Holy thread resurrection Batman.

AmsterBison
July 19th, 2022, 01:33 PM
I can't believe I didn't reply to this thread back then. Dang.

bonarae
July 19th, 2022, 04:18 PM
I didn't reply either; I was busy with college requirements back then.

FUBeAR
July 19th, 2022, 04:31 PM
FUBeAR was also negligent in his lack of response.

He was 100% focused on Coaching FUBeAR Jr.’s 8th grade Jr. Hornets Football Team on to their 2nd consecutive undefeated season & Championship at the time.

https://i.postimg.cc/RhR6jmth/4-B50860-D-1-E17-402-D-93-A7-174-CF074-D690.jpg

caribbeanhen
July 20th, 2022, 01:00 AM
Wow Carib, legends indeed. Thanks for digging that up!

You know Henny, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Joe C posted on AGS because I asked him one time if he did (probably about 2016) and I got pretty much the same response that you did..... Huh? What is AGS 😂

AmsterBison
July 20th, 2022, 03:22 PM
Way, way back in 2002 just after NDSU decided to go DI, I posted this (which is kind of embarrassing):

- The Georgia Southern Eagles have six national championships and two runner-up finishes. I guess that they're the NDSU of DI-AA. They even won championships in three of the same years that NDSU did (1985, 1986 and 1990). They have an option-based attack and play in the Southern Conference (SoCon).
- The Montana Grizzlies are another strong program. They've got two national championships and two runner-ups. They're a passing offense with a strong defense.
- The Youngstown State Penguins are a very strong program too with four national championships and play in a pretty big stadium (the Icebox I think).
- Northern Iowa, Eastern Kentucky, Furman and Delaware are in the next tier.
- The big conferences are the Big Sky, SoCon, Atlantic 10, and the Gateway. I suppose I should throw in the SWAC (you can figure that one out) because their attendance is so good.

Originally, I had Marshall listed as one of the strong programs even though they were 5 years gone. App State and JMU didn't make the list because they hadn't done much at that point - at least, not enough to be considered elite. That list, Bison fans being what they are, would've been my dream FCS opponents as of 2002.

NDSU has now played them all except Eastern Kentucky...

SCPALADIN
July 20th, 2022, 03:39 PM
Quite the trip down memory lane....