PDA

View Full Version : QB Garrett Congdon to transfer to MO State

douglasdmb
July 1st, 2006, 10:55 AM
This guy is sure to be our starter this coming season. He reached an agreement to walk-on at Washington State a few weeks ago, but I imagine that we offered him an immediate starting spot as well as a scholarship. Officially, he is transferring from Sacramento City College.

From the Springfield News-Leader...

Bears' QB search looks to be over

Garrett Congdon says he will transfer to Missouri State from Sacramento juco

by Lyndal Scranton

New Missouri State football coach Terry Allen may have found his starting quarterback.

Garrett Congdon, a 6-foot-5 pocket passer from Sacramento City College in California, said Friday night he plans to enroll at Missouri State before the end of July.

The 230-pound Congdon passed for 1,780 yards and 13 touchdowns in seven games as a freshman at the junior college in his hometown. He completed 58 percent of his passes in seven games before injuring his throwing shoulder, something he says is completely healed.

"I could have played in the final game of the season, but the coaches held me out," he said.

"I would describe myself as a pocket passer who moves well and is fairly accurate," said Congdon, who will be a sophomore. "I think I read defenses pretty well."

Allen is not permitted to comment on transfers until they are enrolled in school, but he's openly been seeking an impact quarterback since returning starter Scott Carroll decided a month ago to focus solely on his baseball career.

Congdon could be the fit Allen has been looking for. This spring Congdon had announced plans to attend Washington State as an invited walk-on, perhaps earning a scholarship a year from now.

Those plans changed once Allen invited Congdon to visit Springfield and tour the Missouri State campus.

"I really liked what I saw," Congdon said. "It's a great coaching staff and a great community."

And it doesn't hurt that immediate playing time could be awaiting him. Washington State already had five quarterbacks on its roster with Kansas State transfer Kevin Lopina joining the mix a couple of weeks ago.

Congdon played at Sheldon High School in Sacramento and threw for 2,000 yards during his two seasons as starter in a wing-T offense. Because the offense was tailored to a running attack, Congdon said he wasn't heavily recruited out of high school.

While admitting he knew little about Allen or Missouri State until a few weeks ago, Congdon found a connection through new Bears' assistant Jamar Cain, a Sacramento native and 2004 defensive assistant at Sacramento City College.

MSUBear42
July 1st, 2006, 03:18 PM
Sounds like an excelent steal for the Bears.

crunifan
July 1st, 2006, 10:54 PM
It's great to see the Bears getting into shape. I think it's time the Bears wake up from hibernation and start making the Gateway and the play-offs take notice!