PDA

View Full Version : Montana bookstore's been told to prepare for playoff run.

Ronbo
July 1st, 2006, 08:33 AM
I was talking to the Manager at the bookstore on campus this week and he had some interesting news. He has been told to stock up with extra winter clothing for the upcoming season. He told me they have ordered an extra 650 winter jackets over what they usually order. The Athletic Department has warned him that the team is loaded this year and to be prepared. He said the last time the bookstore was sent a similar memo was 2001.

kats89
July 1st, 2006, 09:13 AM
That sounds a little arrogant and getting a little ahead of the game don't you think. Nothing like billboard material.xcoffeex :twocents:

Ronbo
July 1st, 2006, 09:23 AM
Hey those guys have to order supplies months in advance. They have to look ahead and try not to get caught by surprise. It's just a warning from the AD, not a prediction. Sounds like this memo doesn't go out unless the Department has a very good feeling for the talent level on the team. It's been 5 years since the last one so it's worth noting. I would assume that ASU and New Hampshire's bookstores are ordering extra gear too. Something like this is a better insider indicator than anything any 100 of us fans could come up with. Sort of like a company exec buying up stock.

89rabbit
July 1st, 2006, 09:25 AM
Well if the bookstore has been told, the rest of us should just skip the season and get ready for basketball. Come on they got a memo and everything. ;) xlolx

kats89
July 1st, 2006, 09:31 AM
AD better hope for no drastic injury problems. Besides, I have seen loaded teams fall flat on their face before.:twocents:

Ronbo
July 1st, 2006, 09:41 AM
Well if the bookstore has been told, the rest of us should just skip the season and get ready for basketball. Come on they got a memo and everything. ;) xlolx

No don't skip the season, but you might not want to book tickets to Missoula in Sept. It could get ugly after the Iowa game for the bunnies.:smiley_wi

ehop
July 1st, 2006, 09:44 AM
Maybe you guys are just expecting a colder than normal winter season up there this year

kats89
July 1st, 2006, 09:53 AM
Maybe you guys are just expecting a colder than normal winter season up there this year

xlolx xlolx xlolx I needed a good laugh this morning.

Ronbo
July 1st, 2006, 09:56 AM
We expect a cold winter every season. But the Griz Gear flys off the shelves during big years so they want to be stocked. If we fail to come through there's always Overstock.com :smiley_wi :)

ehop
July 1st, 2006, 09:58 AM
glad to oblige, kats!

Demon Fan
July 1st, 2006, 10:33 AM
AD better hope for no drastic injury problems. Besides, I have seen loaded teams fall flat on their face before.:twocents:

Last season's 5-5 NSU team comes to mind. Great defense and a highly touted offense that never showed up.

dungeonjoe
July 1st, 2006, 10:52 AM

Maybe they haven't seen Al Gore's new movie... the planet is getting warmer--- no need for those heavy coats, go with windbreakers instead.:) ;)

CatFan22
July 1st, 2006, 01:02 PM

I'm sure Al Gore will beg to differ.

Mountain Panther
July 1st, 2006, 01:11 PM
I was talking to the Manager at the bookstore on campus this week and he had some interesting news. He has been told to stock up with extra winter clothing for the upcoming season. He told me they have ordered an extra 650 winter jackets over what they usually order. The Athletic Department has warned him that the team is loaded this year and to be prepared. He said the last time the bookstore was sent a similar memo was 2001.

Why is this news? Your program goes to the playoffs almost every year and yes, winters are cold in Montana.

Ronbo
July 1st, 2006, 03:03 PM
Do you guys read the posts. The memo to buy, buy, buy, is very rare. The last time it came down was 2001 (a NC year). 650 Winter Jackets MORE than a normal year is significant. It's noteworthy that the insiders in the program are feeling so confident to invest that way. They didn't even order extra in 2004, what's up with the huge investment in extra gear? Could it be the best team since 1995-1996? There's a buzz in Missoula.

89rabbit
July 1st, 2006, 03:10 PM
After loses to both Iowa and SDSU to kick off the season, I see a big sale at the Montana Bookstore. Everything half off! ;) xlolx

http://www.beyazperde.com/images/film/clerks-ek.jpg

"Man what are we going to do with all these coats?"

Ronbo
July 1st, 2006, 03:17 PM
How do you plan to score on a Defense that has all it's best players back and shut you out last year? If we score just 2 points we win! xlolx :nod:

89rabbit
July 1st, 2006, 03:33 PM
How do you plan to score on a Defense that has all it's best players back and shut you out last year? If we score just 2 points we win! xlolx :nod:

That is easy, this year when the Jackrabbits have the ball on the goal line we just won't call any gadget plays that cause fumbles that set us back to the 10yrd line. :doh:

A 7-0 win over an SDSU team that only had 42 scholarships last year, at your place, is not one to hang your hat on in my opinion. :smiley_wi

We are up to 50 scholarships this season should be good for a three point victory! :D

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary/Page/Images/Data/9247.jpg

It will be worse yet in '07, we will be up to 57 and you will be at our place.

VictorG
July 1st, 2006, 05:35 PM
That sounds a little arrogant and getting a little ahead of the game don't you think. Nothing like billboard material.xcoffeex :twocents:

Maybe if the statement was made to the general public, but good planning for an enternal department.

Retro
July 1st, 2006, 07:01 PM
They haven't started preparations very well, because they haven't ordered any 2006 I-AA.org Fall Preview magazines to sell?:nono:

Grizo406
July 1st, 2006, 09:06 PM
89rabbit,

I think SDSU has a better chance of beating the Griz than the Griz do of beating Iowa, but I don't see either of those things happening.

Not sayin' you won't beat the Griz, more than a few underrated, and over looked teams have...just sayin' I don't think you'll do it on September 9th. I'll put one of our winter jackets on it if you'll put up a SDSU t-shirt.;) :thumbsup:

rcny46
July 1st, 2006, 09:22 PM

I think Montana will win it all in`06.I've said this before,and I'm sticking by it.To me,you guys have the potential to be hairy as hell.

89rabbit
July 1st, 2006, 09:39 PM
89rabbit,

I think SDSU has a better chance of beating the Griz than the Griz do of beating Iowa, but I don't see either of those things happening.

Not sayin' you won't beat the Griz, more than a few underrated, and over looked teams have...just sayin' I don't think you'll do it on September 9th. I'll put one of our winter jackets on it if you'll put up a SDSU t-shirt.;) :thumbsup:

What in the world would I do with a Montana Jacket. ;) :D

UNHWildCats
July 1st, 2006, 09:45 PM

Maybe we should ask people here "What would you do for a Montana Jacket?"

Ronbo
July 1st, 2006, 09:51 PM

Seems like a pretty safe bet to me 89. The T-Shirt is $15 and the Jacket will be about $120. Hmmm.... I'd do it.

89rabbit
July 1st, 2006, 09:53 PM
Seems like a pretty safe bet to me 89. The T-Shirt is $15 and the Jacket will be about $120. Hmmm.... I'd do it.

Well of course you would, you have a place to wear the jacket. Don't forget they will be on clearence after the Rabbits win. ;) xlolx

Ronbo
July 1st, 2006, 10:00 PM
Brand new Griz winter jacket would do well on eBay. I see Griz Gear there being sold all the time.

blackfordpu
July 1st, 2006, 10:38 PM

no kidding, this is the ultimate jinx. :eyebrow:

Grizo406
July 1st, 2006, 11:57 PM

Not sure you've got to worry about that, 89, but if you did, probably the same thing I'd do with a SDSU t-shirt...wear it!;) :D

kats89
July 2nd, 2006, 12:50 AM
You grizzies never cease to amaze me. Ever think that the enrollment might be up this fall so they want to be prepared?

NoCoDanny
July 2nd, 2006, 02:07 AM
Yeah I think the Brazil bookstore was told to order extra banana hammocks for the world cup final and we see how that worked out for them.

CrunchGriz
July 2nd, 2006, 02:11 AM
You grizzies never cease to amaze me. Ever think that the enrollment might be up this fall so they want to be prepared?

You could be right, and Ronbo has been known to see the world through maroon-colored glasses, but...

Montana's enrollment doesn't jump 650/year, well, ever; and

There is a sense of confidence about most Griz fans this year as opposed to say, prior to last season, when virtually everyone was extremely worried about a very inexperienced QB and WR core.

Coach Hauck has been pointing to this season for a couple of years, knowing that it's mostly his recruits in there now; no blaming Joe Glenn's last couple of classes any more.

With the prior comments he's made about 2006, this is probably a make or break season for Coach Hauck and staff, especially as the Griz offense didn't exactly dazzle anyone last year, and UM fans have taken a shine to being dazzled.

Maybe Poor Richard's Almanac is forecasting a particularly frosty winter for Missoula. That could explain the large number of coats purchased.

Or maybe the coaches are confident, too.

I'll bet on the latter--and hope to be dazzled. ;)

July 2nd, 2006, 03:08 AM
They haven't started preparations very well, because they haven't ordered any 2006 I-AA.org Fall Preview magazines to sell?:nono:That's what I was thinking. They ordered a bunch in 2004.

Grizo406
July 2nd, 2006, 04:57 AM
You grizzies never cease to amaze me...

Rumor has it that we'll have four cannons this season in Washington/"grizzie" Stadium, so our increased enrollment can hear it when we score...Boom, Boom, Boom, & Boom!

Eaglegus2
July 2nd, 2006, 09:08 AM
I just found out that my nephew, who is in the Air Force will be stationed back in Montana.

Heck of a change from the United Arab Emirates & Hawaii. Actually, he has said on many occasions that he really likes Montana.

I guess the extra ordering will allow him to purchase me a Montana sweatshirt for Christmas. I have already told him that is what he could get me.:smiley_wi :nod:

blackfordpu
July 2nd, 2006, 09:49 AM
Rumor has it that we'll have four cannons this season in Washington/"grizzie" Stadium, so our increased enrollment can hear it when we score...Boom, Boom, Boom, & Boom!

below the belt!:nonono2:

DuckDuckGriz
July 2nd, 2006, 11:51 AM
below the belt!:nonono2:

Why was that below the belt??!!!?

xidiotx xidiotx

Ronbo
July 2nd, 2006, 02:56 PM
You remember the cannon controversy Duck? SHSU's top receiver (forgot his name) went diving for a pass in the end zone. He was hurt on the play and SHSU fans claimed he was hurt because he crashed into the cannon. Well.... first off he twisted a sore knee on the play, how did the cannon cause that? I have the game on DVD and have watched it ten times, he slid towards the cannon and stopped a couple of feet short, never actually touched it. It's all too bad though as the play was called back because of a false start. Thanks North End Zone crazies!

DuckDuckGriz
July 2nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
You remember the cannon controversy Duck? SHSU's top receiver (forgot his name) went diving for a pass in the end zone. He was hurt on the play and SHSU fans claimed he was hurt because he crashed into the cannon. Well.... first off he twisted a sore knee on the play, how did the cannon cause that? I have the game on DVD and have watched it ten times, he slid towards the cannon and stopped a couple of feet short, never actually touched it. It's all too bad though as the play was called back because of a false start. Thanks North End Zone crazies!

I figured that's what it was about....But I thought the SHSU fans knew that Mathenia landed well short of the cannon. So I couldn't think of any other way that was below the belt bc I thought Kat fans knew all this? :confused:

VictorG
July 2nd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Hey Grizo,

Like your glasses but shouldn't they be maroon?

Aggie71
July 2nd, 2006, 09:42 PM
This reminds me of an old Burt Lancaster comedy - western where the locals had determined that the upcoming Winter would be severe, so they put in an order for extra whiskey and then the temprance women found out!!

Ask you local barkeeps if they have increased their whiskey orders and watch the girls!!

'71

CatFan22
July 2nd, 2006, 10:06 PM
Hey Grizo,

Like your glasses but shouldn't they be maroon?

Yes, yes they should.