underdawg
July 26th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Safety Carlton Lewis 6'2" 210 (4.45 forty) from Clemson

Safety Anthony Thompson 6'2" 207 (4.5) from UCLA

CB Emmanuel Souarin 5'11" 180 from Florida International

Thompson and Souarin are Red shirt seniors and Thompson is a red shirt frosh

ndsubison
July 26th, 2012, 05:14 PM
SIU seems to get their share of FBS transfers every year, some of whom are quite heralded. Question: why don't they have a better W-L record as of late? Coaching? Selfishness/character issues on behalf of said transfers? What gives? Shakir Bell (Michigan State transfer) for Ind St is the only FBS guy I know who has made a noticeable impact on his team in MVFC play. NDSU very rarely gets FBS transfers and we seem to do just fine. I would like to see us get more players from NDSCS (Wahpeton, ND [1 hr south of F-M]) to come here instead of going straight to FBS schools, but that may be a pipe dream right now. Hopefully continued success at NDSU will change this trend. Thoughts???

ndsubison
July 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Lewis and Thompson, by looking at their size and reported speed, look like monsters at the safety position, btw. Nice combo.

underdawg
July 26th, 2012, 06:20 PM
SIU seems to get their share of FBS transfers every year, some of whom are quite heralded. Question: why don't they have a better W-L record as of late? Coaching? Selfishness/character issues on behalf of said transfers? What gives? Shakir Bell (Michigan State transfer) for Ind St is the only FBS guy I know who has made a noticeable impact on his team in MVFC play. NDSU very rarely gets FBS transfers and we seem to do just fine. I would like to see us get more players from NDSCS (Wahpeton, ND [1 hr south of F-M]) to come here instead of going straight to FBS schools, but that may be a pipe dream right now. Hopefully continued success at NDSU will change this trend. Thoughts???

I think it's a bunch of variables--many injuries (two years ago injuries wiped out our whole starting defensive back-field before the beginning of season, last year it was the starting QB three games into season). I'd say that our new offensive coordinator is getting a lot of criticism.

underdawg
July 26th, 2012, 06:27 PM
This again was necessary at safety because of lack of numbers. Also one safety who would have been a starter this year (and was for the last three years) got into some trouble and is red-shirting in 2012. He'll be back for 2013, so what ever it was was not too bad.

By the way, I agree somewhat with Coach Bohl's philosophy about getting the bulk of one's players by recruiting high schooler's and red-shirting them. Lennon mostly does that now--we had a bunch of true freshmen red-shirt last fall. But Lennon will not refuse to recruit an FBS or JUCO if he is a difference maker--especially at the skilled positions.

Houndawg
July 28th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Many of the players think we've taken a big step up towards where we were under Kill with the new S&C coach. I think that had something to do with our injury bug the past couple of seasons.

UNH Fanboi
July 28th, 2012, 12:50 PM

FBS transfers are overrated. Just because someone was good enough in high school to get an FBS offer doesn't necessarily mean theyll be a great college player.

underdawg
July 28th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Sometimes FBS recruits are "overrated" sometimes FCS high school recruits are underrated--it takes getting on the field to actually find out how they will perform. However, most FCS teams, don't get 3 and 4 star players out of high school but I'd bet if you ask any FCS coach if he'd take them, he wouldn't say no.

Houndawg
July 29th, 2012, 04:40 AM
FBS transfers are overrated. Just because someone was good enough in high school to get an FBS offer doesn't necessarily mean theyll be a great college player.

Brandon Jacobs wasn't overrated.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 29th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Two big safeties coming in, I'm sure they will help with depth.

underdawg
July 29th, 2012, 10:44 AM
One of the two safeties probably will work his way into the starting lineup along side 6' 190 pound red-shirt Soph starter from spring DJ Cameron. Both will get PT along with CB transfer Souarin IMO.

underdawg
July 29th, 2012, 10:50 AM
As far as the general topic of transfer use, I don't believe, except for Tommy Koutsos, SIU has had a starting RB that wasn't either an FBS or JUCO transfer for the last ten years--that worked out pretty good.

Thundar
July 29th, 2012, 11:48 AM

When did Shakir Bell transfer from Michigan St? I thought he committed to ISU right out of high school he is only a sophomore this year I believe

underdawg
July 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I think you are correct about Bell.

Thundar
July 29th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I think you are correct about Bell.

Pretty sure his height kept him from getting any offers and ISU were the only to step up but I could be completely wrong any ISU fans out there