PDA

View Full Version : What is Appalachian State's record against FBS/I-A schools.

WataugaDave
July 24th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I'm in an argument with a dumb ECU fan (who thought App was Division II, first of all) and would like to know.

I'd ask on an Appalachian board but AppStateNation is still pretty dead and joining the other forum and it's confusing set-up isn't worth it.

I saw one number tossed around that said "8 wins," but it'd be cool to have an actual record.

BR54Niner
July 24th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I'm in an argument with a dumb ECU fan (who thought App was Division II, first of all) and would like to know.

I'd ask on an Appalachian board but AppStateNation is still pretty dead and joining the other forum and it's confusing set-up isn't worth it.

I saw one number tossed around that said "8 wins," but it'd be cool to have an actual record.

Thank you for proving my point.

Paging Rev SFA, ASUMike & ASUG8.

This is too rich!xlolxxlolxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclap x

TheRevSFA
July 24th, 2012, 02:39 PM

You have more wins against FBS competition than Charlotte will have in their first 3 years...

WataugaDave
July 24th, 2012, 02:44 PM

This is too rich!
I'm pretty much the most active poster. Actually the last 3 posts are posts I made on July 12th. It's really unfortunate, because unlike MMB looking at the App State Nation board doesn't make my eyes hurt. And it's a great blog.

You have more wins against FBS competition than Charlotte will have in their first 3 years...
It's hilarious that there's a Charlotte fan (can't remember his name) talking trash when their football program is -1 years old.

BR54Niner
July 24th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I'm pretty much the most active poster. Actually the last 3 posts are posts I made on July 12th. It's really unfortunate, because unlike MMB looking at the App State Nation board doesn't make my eyes hurt. And it's a great blog.

It's hilarious that there's a Charlotte fan (can't remember his name) talking trash when their football program is -1 years old.

Oh, this just keeps getting better. Maybe a Montana fan will show up and answer that question for you.xsalutex

49RFootballNow
July 24th, 2012, 02:49 PM

What is Apps record against FBS opponents?

ws66370
July 24th, 2012, 02:54 PM
7-33-1

* As a FCS school, Appalachian St. has the most victories and ties over major FBS opponents (7 wins & 1 tie), followed by Furman (5 wins & 1 tie), and Northern Iowa (6 wins).

Source: http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?760-History-of-FCS-vs.-FBS

WataugaDave
July 24th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I found it actually. 7-33-1. Which is a record. Not bad for games that the FBS teams schedule to win.

Also, no disrespect to 49er fans, but there was just this one person who was running around cursing up a storm against Appalachian State.

ws66370
APP VS. ECU:
The Mountaineers own a 19-11 lead in a series that dates back to 1932

TheRevSFA
7-33-1

* As a FCS school, Appalachian St. has the most victories and ties over major FBS opponents (7 wins & 1 tie), followed by Furman (5 wins & 1 tie), and Northern Iowa (6 wins).

Source: http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?760-History-of-FCS-vs.-FBS

Sorry Niner fans, I was incorrect. App has more wins than Charlotte will get in its first 5 years as a program

My apologies.

49RFootballNow
July 24th, 2012, 02:57 PM
7-33-1

Michigan, Wake and whom else?

ASUG8
July 24th, 2012, 02:58 PM
There may be a few I missed, but here's what I could find.

19-11 vs. ECU all time
Auburn 0-1
Boise St 0-1
Clemson 0-4
Florida 0-1
Hawaii 0-1
Kansas 0-1
LSU 0-2
Marshall 14-8
Michigan 1-0
North Carolina 0-1
NC State 0-6
South Carolina 1-8
Southern Miss 0-1
Ball St 0-2
UMass 1-0
Troy St 1-2
Western KY 4-1
Tx. St. 1-0
Va. Tech 0-4
Wake Forest 7-13-1
Wyoming 0-1

http://www.goasu.com/pdf8/850197.pdf?SPSID=104458&SPID=12811&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21500

asu3peat
July 24th, 2012, 03:03 PM
The Auburn game in 1999 was a heart breaker. Really enjoyed the 20-16 over Wake in 2000 though. It was fun watching several of their players literally throw up all over the field that night.

BR54Niner
July 24th, 2012, 03:04 PM
APP VS. ECU:
The Mountaineers own a 19-11 lead in a series that dates back to 1932

But they were in the same conference or at same level at the time. While it's still a winning record and nothing to disparage, it's not as if App beat an FBS ECU team 19 times.

asumike83
July 24th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Michigan, Wake and whom else?

Wake... X6 xlolx

For some reason, they quit scheduling us. We did also beat South Carolina way back in 1975, not sure why that wouldn't be included because the 1A/1AA split was in 1972, so we were working with a scholarship deficit.

PaladinFan
The Auburn game in 1999 was a heart breaker. Really enjoyed the 20-16 over Wake in 2000 though. It was fun watching several of their players literally throw up all over the field that night.

Love games like this. UNC schedules Furman every time they want an excuse to change coaches.

BR54Niner
Sorry Niner fans, I was incorrect. App has more wins than Charlotte will get in its first 5 years as a program

My apologies.

Really? Care to wager? Or are you like most blow hard texans, full of ****?

ASUG8
July 24th, 2012, 03:07 PM
But they were in the same conference or at same level at the time. While it's still a winning record and nothing to disparage, it's not as if App beat an FBS ECU team 19 times.

There are a number of teams in that list that are recently FBS (UMass, Tx. St, etc.) but it includes everyone who is now considered FBS.

BR54Niner
July 24th, 2012, 03:07 PM
There are a number of teams in that list that are recently FBS (UMass, Tx. St, etc.) but it includes everyone who is now considered FBS.

Understood. Realized that when I saw UMass on the list.

49RFootballNow
July 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM

I assume that list includes pre-split records?

TheRevSFA
July 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Really? Care to wager? Or are you like most blow hard texans, full of ****?

You won't follow up. You'll be on the CUSA boards

ASUG8
July 24th, 2012, 03:10 PM

Yeah, I think this is all time. The link will show the first meetings and a little history of the matchup(s).

49RFootballNow
July 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I think this is all time. The link will show the first meetings and a little history of the matchup(s).

Thanks for the info.

BR54Niner
July 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM
You won't follow up. You'll be on the CUSA boards

I'll send a friendly wager of $50 bucks to the admin of this site to hold for next 5 years or until Charlotte gets 8 wins. What's yorn?xeyebrowx

Apphole
July 24th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I'll send a friendly wager of $50 bucks to the admin of this site to hold for next 5 years or until Charlotte gets 8 wins. What's yorn?xeyebrowx

Will this check be made of rubber? You can't be too well off since you spent 40 thousand dollars on a CPCC education.

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2012, 03:17 PM
7-33-1

I suppose that number is just counting from 1978 or whenever it was that Division I football split into two. For example, Furman is 11-7 against Wake Forest, but the last time the two played was 1977.

Appaholic

I'll take that action. Concord Tech will be lucky to get 1 win per year going to straight to Conf USA. We'll make it real friendly and loser makes $50 donation to this site or charity of winner's choice.....

Go Apps
Let me just say we should have shocked the world much sooner - WE HAD AUBURN BEAT except for a terrible 4th pass interference on us with nobody around the Auburn player that allowed them to go ahead and score with a minute left!!!!!!

Could have beat ECU and State in recent mtgs....

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2012, 03:18 PM

No, it doesn't. If you count pre-split wins those numbers are a lot higher.

TheRevSFA
July 24th, 2012, 03:19 PM

I'll throw in 50.

asumike83
July 24th, 2012, 03:26 PM

I never said anything about how casual football fans perceive the FCS. When you implied that UNCC is peers with Clemson and South Carolina now that you'll be in C-USA, I said that the perception of mid-major FBS conferences is not much different when talking to ACC/SEC fans. They care just as much about who won the Sun Belt, MAC or Conference USA as they do about who won the CAA or the SoCon. I am perfectly fine with that, I don't need anyone else to give me validation.

Whether they are scheduling Appalachian or East Carolina, the big boys cut a paycheck for what they feel should be an easy win. Neither of our schools are viewed as peers by South Carolina, Clemson, UNC, etc. and playing FBS football will not change that. That was my only point.

laxVik
July 24th, 2012, 03:40 PM
App States vic over UM was one of if not the most impressive wins period. Come on the big house, the big 10. Name a better win.

Apphole
July 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM
App States vic over UM was one of if not the most impressive wins period. Come on the big house, the big 10. Name a better win.

If UNCc upsets Campbell, it might overtake the UM win. Don't count on it though

frozennorth
July 24th, 2012, 05:21 PM
7-33-1

i thought delaware was the leader. Your link shows 15-11 all time for the hens.

No_Skill
July 24th, 2012, 05:48 PM

That 15-11 is all time record against all "fbs" teams. The 7 wins for App is against "major" FBS opponents. The link defines "major" as follows:

The list below shows the games where a FCS school defeated or tied a FBS opponent from a major conference (BCS conferences, and the Big Eight, Southwest, and major independents before the BCS).

WataugaDave
July 24th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Okay, how did all the Charlotte fans get here anyway?

superman7515
July 24th, 2012, 09:01 PM

Delaware has 10 wins against Rutgers since they moved to University Division/Division 1A/FBS, 6 against Temple, 5 against Maryland, 7 against Navy, 1 against Buffalo while they were still University Division (before moving down and then back up again). There's 29 wins.

McNeese75
July 24th, 2012, 09:38 PM
There may be a few I missed, but here's what I could find.

19-11 vs. ECU all time
Auburn 0-1
Boise St 0-1
Clemson 0-4
Florida 0-1
Hawaii 0-1
Kansas 0-1
LSU 0-1
Marshall 14-8
Michigan 1-0
North Carolina 0-1
NC State 0-6
South Carolina 1-8
Southern Miss 0-1
Ball St 0-2
UMass 1-0
Troy St 1-2
Western KY 4-1
Tx. St. 1-0
Va. Tech 0-4
Wake Forest 7-13-1
Wyoming 0-1

http://www.goasu.com/pdf8/850197.pdf?SPSID=104458&SPID=12811&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21500

I am pretty sure ASU is 0-2 against LSU

asumike83
July 24th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Delaware has 10 wins against Rutgers since they moved to University Division/Division 1A/FBS, 6 against Temple, 5 against Maryland, 7 against Navy, 1 against Buffalo while they were still University Division (before moving down and then back up again). There's 29 wins.

The only wins they are counting are those that occurred after the D1 split in 1978. I believe Delaware was D2 for most of those, so they were still wins over schools in a higher division but I'm pretty sure they are only looking at 1A vs 1AA match-ups. That is very impressive though.

Twentysix
July 24th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I guess we will be tieing UNI for third most wins and will maintain the best ratio. 5-3 against FBS/BCS, will be making it 6-3 after the rams are beat down.

Or perhaps 4th since Deleware should be listed as #1.

UNH is also listed at 7-5.

UNI is listed at 9-22

YSU is listed at 19-26

Probably shouldn't post a list as a source if it refutes your claim.

UNH Fanboi
July 24th, 2012, 10:37 PM

For the sake of argument, Virginia Tech, who JMU beat in 2010, ended the 2010 season ranked #16 and Michigan ended the 2007 season ranked #18. Therefore, you could argue that JMU's win over Virginia Tech is a bigger win.

And please don't make the counter argument that Michigan was ranked higher at the time of the game. Final rankings are much more accurate indicators of true strength than preseason rankings.

CID1990
July 24th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Without looking at the books, I would put The Citadel up in the top of the SoCon for wins against I-A teams in the last 25 years.

South Carolina
Arkansas
Army x2
Navy x2

ASU's win over Michigan trumps El Cid over Arkansas, but we won our game with the wishbone and no passing, and we held the Razorbacks to 3 points.

GlassOnion
July 24th, 2012, 11:02 PM
For the sake of argument, Virginia Tech, who JMU beat in 2010, ended the 2010 season ranked #16 and Michigan ended the 2007 season ranked #18. Therefore, you could argue that JMU's win over Virginia Tech is a bigger win.

And please don't make the counter argument that Michigan was ranked higher at the time of the game. Final rankings are much more accurate indicators of true strength than preseason rankings.

One could also argue that Michigan had far more talent in 2007 than Vtech did in 2010. Six of those Michigan seniors were drafted, including the #1 overall pick, and several others signed free agent deals.

Just 3 Vtech players were drafted, the highest pick being in the 4th round.

Not even close IMO.

By my count, at least 13 of the Michigan players that played App State were drafted, and even more were free agents.

Skjellyfetti
July 24th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Virginia Tech had 4 days rest after losing to Boise State.

CID1990
July 24th, 2012, 11:17 PM
One could also argue that Michigan had far more talent in 2007 than Vtech did in 2010. Six of those Michigan seniors were drafted, including the #1 overall pick, and several others signed free agent deals.

Just 3 Vtech players were drafted, the highest pick being in the 4th round.

Not even close IMO.

By my count, at least 13 of the Michigan players that played App State were drafted, and even more were free agents.

Talent?

Talent!?

Is that you,Chattown?

seantaylor
July 25th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Michigan did have far more talent than VT. That was a great win by Appy. And, I really hate to admit that.

Cocky
July 25th, 2012, 07:33 AM
7-33-1

Their info isnt correct

Our only win recorded (or I could find quickly) was Ole Miss. We have at least 5 total not sure when UAB began DI.

Cocky
July 25th, 2012, 07:44 AM
That 15-11 is all time record against all "fbs" teams. The 7 wins for App is against "major" FBS opponents. The link defines "major" as follows:

The list below shows the games where a FCS school defeated or tied a FBS opponent from a major conference (BCS conferences, and the Big Eight, Southwest, and major independents before the BCS).
Major in my mind isnt Western Kentucky, Lafayette and others listed. Not saying these are Apps wins but they are listed as wins by other schools.

ASUMountaineer
July 25th, 2012, 08:37 AM

Why do UNCC fans like Appalachian so much? I mean, we appreciate the interest. xlolx

Apphole
July 25th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Why do UNCC fans like Appalachian so much? I mean, we appreciate the interest. xlolx

You should go to Appfan. It's about 50:50 App fans/UNCc trolls. I'm pretty sure it's just a couple of students on several names though. Must be one of the few that actually live on their campus. They have no car, therefore they have nothing fun to do whatsoever.

laxVik
July 25th, 2012, 08:45 AM

And please don't make the counter argument that Michigan was ranked higher at the time of the game. Final rankings are much more accurate indicators of true strength than preseason rankings.Sorry. I'd wager UM and the big house are a bit more "storied" than VT. Not even close.

ASUMountaineer
July 25th, 2012, 08:59 AM
You should go to Appfan. It's about 50:50 App fans/UNCc trolls. I'm pretty sure it's just a couple of students on several names though. Must be one of the few that actually live on their campus. They have no car, therefore they have nothing fun to do whatsoever.

Man, I haven't been to AppFan in a long time. That place is a waste of time for the most part.

Apphole
July 25th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Man, I haven't been to AppFan in a long time. That place is a waste of time for the most part.

I agree for the most part. The forum portion offers very little in the way of real discussion and information. It does have it's moments though. There are a few posters that have been there for years that I enjoy. I still prefer it to the MMB: where the arrogance of the older posters make it impossible to have a civil conversation, especially about realignment. Neither compare to AGS though, IMO. I'm really hoping Appstatenation takes off. Best layout by far, but it's just new and doesn't have a group of regulars yet.

asumike83
July 25th, 2012, 09:04 AM

Both were excellent wins, the two best FCS over FBS wins of all time and the only wins over ranked opponents since the split. However, although I am biased, the Appalachian win was a bit more impressive in my opinion. Michigan had more NFL caliber talent on their roster and it was also the season opener, as opposed to VT coming off a tough loss to Boise State with 4 days rest. Again, it is splitting hairs because both were so impressive. Beating a perennial top 25 team at their house with a 22 scholarship deficit is an amazing accomplishment. Doing so over an in-state opponent like JMU did has to be especially sweet.

asumike83
July 25th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I agree for the most part. The forum portion offers very little in the way of real discussion and information. It does have it's moments though. There are a few posters that have been there for years that I enjoy. I still prefer it to the MMB: where the arrogance of the older posters make it impossible to have a civil conversation, especially about realignment. Neither compare to AGS though, IMO. I'm really hoping Appstatenation takes off. Best layout by far, but it's just new and doesn't have a group of regulars yet.

Myself and a fellow Appalachian fan have something in the works that I think you will like. Still putting the finishing touches on the site but I'm really excited about it.

Apphole
July 25th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Myself and a fellow Appalachian fan have something in the works that I think you will like. Still putting the finishing touches on the site but I'm really excited about it.

Awesome keep me posted.

ASUG8
July 25th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I am pretty sure ASU is 0-2 against LSU

You are correct....fat fingered it. I'll update the original.

CID1990
July 25th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Michigan did have far more talent than VT. That was a great win by Appy. And, I really hate to admit that.

I know. I just think the whole idea of talent gets thrown around here too much when it is obvious that athletic talent is just one of many factors that go into the W-L potential.

laxVik
July 25th, 2012, 10:47 AM
The only annoying thing for me about the App win over UM was the UO win over UM the following week (Dixon's statue of liberty was the best I've ever seen) was somewhat diminished. :)

AppMan
July 25th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Since ASU began playing 1-aa / FCS in 1983 only one loss each was to ECU & Marshall. All games with Boise, Troy, WKU and Tex State came when they were 1-aa / FCS. I've always maintained ASU's record vs FBS teams would be much better if we had been able to play more teams from mid level conferences. Since being re-classified 1-AA 37 0f ASU's 41 1-A / FBS games have come against programs from the SEC. ACC, Big Twelve and Big Ten.

tractorapp
July 25th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I know 3 of the 4 were Hawaii, Wyoming and ECU. Who was the 4th non-BCS? Just remembered, Marshall right?

frozennorth
July 25th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Since ASU began playing 1-aa / FCS in 1983 only one loss each was to ECU & Marshall. All games with Boise, Troy, WKU and Tex State came when they were 1-aa / FCS. I've always maintained ASU's record vs FBS teams would be much better if we had been able to play more teams from mid level conferences. Since being re-classified 1-AA 37 0f ASU's 41 1-A / FBS games have come against programs from the SEC. ACC, Big Twelve and Big Ten.

after you beat up on lower teams for a few years, they stop scheduling you.

asumike83
July 25th, 2012, 10:28 PM

I'm looking at you, Wake Forest... xtroublex

AppMan
July 26th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I know 3 of the 4 were Hawaii, Wyoming and ECU. Who was the 4th non-BCS? Just remembered, Marshall right?

Yep.

AppMan
July 26th, 2012, 11:21 AM

They won't even give us the chance to beat up on them. If the SunBelt & CUSA schools are so much better than ASU why don't they at least schedule us so they can prove it.

laxVik
July 26th, 2012, 11:38 AM
They won't even give us the chance to beat up on them. If the SunBelt & CUSA schools are so much better than ASU why don't they at least schedule us so they can prove it.Brunt of those schools are cash poor and would rather get smacked by upper tier FBS for the $.

ASUG8
July 26th, 2012, 01:22 PM
They won't even give us the chance to beat up on them. If the SunBelt & CUSA schools are so much better than ASU why don't they at least schedule us so they can prove it.

At least ECU is stepping up.

BR54Niner
July 26th, 2012, 02:11 PM
At least ECU is stepping up.

Yes. And App will feel the fury of Conf USA.

ASUG8
July 26th, 2012, 02:13 PM

They nearly got taken to the woodshed at their place with our second and third stringer QB's last meeting. I'll withhold judgement until we get closer, but I think they'll get a game. Those extra schollies start playing a huge role in the late 3rd and 4th quarters.

asumike83
July 26th, 2012, 02:20 PM
They nearly got taken to the woodshed at their place with our second and third stringer QB's last meeting. I'll withhold judgement until we get closer, but I think they'll get a game. Those extra schollies start playing a huge role in the late 3rd and 4th quarters.

Man, that last game was brutal! So close to pulling it out, just couldn't come up with another first down on that last drive. Would have loved to see what happened if Armanti dressed out.

BR54Niner
July 26th, 2012, 02:26 PM
C'mon Guys. Get real. ECU was toying with you. Dangling the proverbial candy in your face. They could turn it on or off as they please against lesser talent. Jeez. xrolleyesx

Mntneer
July 26th, 2012, 02:42 PM

As will UNCC.

Apphole
July 26th, 2012, 02:54 PM
C'mon Guys. Get real. ECU was toying with you. Dangling the proverbial candy in your face. They could turn it on or off as they please against lesser talent. Jeez. xrolleyesx

Yes. It was very beneficial for them to blow their lead and squeeze out a 5 point win against an up-and-coming, in-state football program. The more narrow the margin of victory, the better the win. Brilliant.

AppMan
July 26th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Think we need to begin a push for ASU to be UNCC's first game as a CUSA member.

WataugaDave
July 26th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Yes. And App will feel the fury of Conf USA
I know you're new to the whole football thing, but you're not supposed to like the other teams in your conference.

ElCid
July 26th, 2012, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=ws66370;1816118]7-33-1

Hate to burst anyone's bubble but The Citadel has a record of 7-42 from 1978-2011 against 1A/FBS opponents. So we are at least second.

1979 Vandy 27-14
1988 Navy 42-35
1989 Navy 14-10
1990 South Carolina 38-35
1991 Army 20-14
1992 Arkansas 10-3
1992 Army 15-14

BR54Niner
July 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM

Hate to burst anyone's bubble but The Citadel has a record of 7-42 from 1978-2011 against 1A/FBS opponents. So we are at least second.

1979 Vandy 27-14
1988 Navy 42-35
1989 Navy 14-10
1991 Army 20-14
1992 Arkansas 10-3
1992 Army 15-14

Yes, but most came against Service Academies. Should they really count? They haven't been relevant since pre-WWII. At most, they should count for .5 wins a piece. Arkansas & SC wins are impressive. Congrats!xnodx

CID1990
July 26th, 2012, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=ElCid;1817388]

Yes, but most came against Service Academies. Should they really count? They haven't been relevant since pre-WWII. At most, they should count for .5 wins a piece. Arkansas & SC wins are impressive. Congrats!xnodx

No, the service academies at that time weren't all that good, but when we talk about wins over FBS teams, we are almost always talking about wins over the academies and the basement teams of major conferences like Minnesota, Vandy, UNC (in the early 90s), Wake Forest, etc etc. Teams like Michigan, VT and Arkansas losing to FCS teams is exceedingly rare. In fact it has only happened once to each of them.

And I have to say it: all of these teams were and still are more relevant than UNCC, right?

I-16Bandit
July 26th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Georgia Southern always gets sooo damn close, but has yet to find that first FBS win. xbangxxbangxxbangx

Appaholic
July 27th, 2012, 09:38 AM

1979 Vandy 27-14
1988 Navy 42-35
1989 Navy 14-10
1991 Army 20-14
1992 Arkansas 10-3
1992 Army 15-14

I gotta ask....and this is in no way a slight to el cid....but just how bad does your FBS defense have to be to put 35 pts on the board and lose to an FCS school at home? El Cid's a historical run-oriented offense, correct? Or did they have a more explosive offense in 1990?

CID1990
July 27th, 2012, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=ElCid;1817388]

I gotta ask....and this is in no way a slight to el cid....but just how bad does your FBS defense have to be to put 35 pts on the board and lose to an FCS school at home? El Cid's a historical run-oriented offense, correct? Or did they have a more explosive offense in 1990?

That was Jack Douglas' first full season as a starter. This was the embryo of the 1992 team, and the offense was VERY good (but inconsistent in 1990). This was the #1 rushing offense in the country a couple times during that period, but we were capable of throwing, too. USCs D-line had absolutely no answer for us that day. Think we averaged 7 yards per carry.

USC was pretty good, but they overlooked us. Probably didn't even gameplan for the wishbone, but they certainly should have known better, since Sparky Woods was their coach.

CID1990
July 27th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I forgot to mention, you should check out this game on YouTube. The last several minutes of the game are on there. One of the most exciting finishes I have seen, and that's not me being a homer, either. USC went up by 7 on us, then we kicked a field goal to get within 4 with just a few minutes on the clock. We kicked an onside kick, recovered, then drove for the winning touchdown with 23 seconds left. It was 4th and goal from the 1.

I-16Bandit
July 27th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I forgot to mention, you should check out this game on YouTube. The last several minutes of the game are on there. One of the most exciting finishes I have seen, and that's not me being a homer, either. USC went up by 7 on us, then we kicked a field goal to get within 4 with just a few minutes on the clock. We kicked an onside kick, recovered, then drove for the winning touchdown with 23 seconds left. It was 4th and goal from the 1.

Those kind of finishes takes years off a mans life!

Jgo13
August 1st, 2012, 08:56 AM
5 of Appalachians 7 wins came against Wake Forrest. (in the 80s I think). There is your .5 credit for division 1 wins.

South Carolina defeated East Carolina, UNC, VaTech, and West Virginia the year The Citadel beat them.

CID1990
August 1st, 2012, 09:10 AM
5 of Appalachians 7 wins came against Wake Forrest. (in the 80s I think). There is your .5 credit for division 1 wins.

South Carolina defeated East Carolina, UNC, VaTech, and West Virginia the year The Citadel beat them.

What's even better than that is that after we beat Arkansas on their home opener, they fired their coach the very next day. They called in Danny Ford as a "consultant" coach as they looked for a replacement and the Razorbacks on the very next weekend went to Columbia and whipped the crap out of the Gamecocks something like 44-0 or something close to that.

Apparently USC felt they could overlook Arkansas since after all, they just got held to 3 points in a loss to The Citadel. Apparently the trauma if their 1990 loss caused them to block out what El Cid did to them 2 seasons before.

That year Arkansas beat USC, Tennessee (by one point in Knoxville) and LSU by a bunch at home.

Skjellyfetti
August 1st, 2012, 09:19 AM

And Michigan defeated Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan State, and the Florida Tebows the year we beat them.

And South Carolina did not finish ranked and did not go to a bowl game in 1990.

CID1990
August 1st, 2012, 01:34 PM
And Michigan defeated Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan State, and the Florida Tebows the year we beat them.

And South Carolina did not finish ranked and did not go to a bowl game in 1990.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was a d1ck measuring contest, SK.

I was not comparing the Arkansas win to the Michigan win, merely providing context that Arkansas was not all that good in 1992, but they did beat a couple pretty decent teams.

Jeez you are the easiest chump to troll up, I wasnt even chumming the water. You can go back to nancing around the bath house now.

Skjellyfetti
August 1st, 2012, 02:27 PM
I was not comparing the Arkansas win to the Michigan win

Which is why I you weren't the post I quoted. xconfusedx

Your buddy Jgo13 with his first post was pooh poohing our record against FBS competition. xrotatehx

Appaholic
August 1st, 2012, 02:34 PM

1990 W-L Records

ECU 5-6 Independent
UNC 6-4-1 ACC
VT 6-5 Independent
WVU 4-7 Independent

real powerhouse wins there....

CID1990
August 1st, 2012, 02:35 PM
Which is why I you weren't the post I quoted. xconfusedx

Your buddy Jgo13 with his first post was pooh poohing our record against FBS competition. xrotatehx

I don't even know Jgo but I bet your pecker is shorter than his, too.

Hammerhead
August 1st, 2012, 02:49 PM
I added the all-time records vs. schools that are now in the FBS or who were in D-1 conferences before dropping football and came up with a record of 9-26-2.

Arkansas State 1-0
Army 0-1
Ball State 1-0
Central Michigan 1-0
Eastern Michigan 0-0-1
Idaho 0-3
Iowa 0-2
Iowa State 0-1
Kansas 1-0
Kansas State 0-1
Marquette 0-3
Michigan State 0-2
Minnesota 2-8
Missouri 0-1
Northern Illinois 2-0
san Diego State 0-1
Texas Tech 0-0-1
Towson State 1-0
Troy state 0-1
Wisconsin 0-2
Totals 9-26-2

I guess we will be tieing UNI for third most wins and will maintain the best ratio. 5-3 against FBS/BCS, will be making it 6-3 after the rams are beat down.

Or perhaps 4th since Deleware should be listed as #1.

UNH is also listed at 7-5.

UNI is listed at 9-22

YSU is listed at 19-26

Probably shouldn't post a list as a source if it refutes your claim.

PaladinFan
August 1st, 2012, 04:24 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was a d1ck measuring contest, SK.

I was not comparing the Arkansas win to the Michigan win, merely providing context that Arkansas was not all that good in 1992, but they did beat a couple pretty decent teams.

Jeez you are the easiest chump to troll up, I wasnt even chumming the water. You can go back to nancing around the bath house now.

Most App State fans on this forum don't have memories that go past 2005.

Saint3333
August 1st, 2012, 07:04 PM
Many do.