PDA

View Full Version : Top Players in "I-AA"?

bluehenbillk
June 30th, 2006, 06:20 AM
http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2006/Columnists/RC/DIAA_Stars.htm

Collegefootballnews.com finally devotes some attention to 1-AA listing the top 25 players, problem is a handful of them are D-2 or NAIA.

UNH 40
June 30th, 2006, 06:39 AM
If this is a ranking then Richard Cirminiello has no idea what he is talking about. Lex Hilliard is in the top five as well is Laurent Robinson, and David Ball should be #1. This guy embarrassed himself by writting this article, I appreciate the effort but it would have been nice if he had taken the time to look at what division these players played in. He has 2 players ranked in the top 5, including the #1 player, who play D-2.

June 30th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Whomever wrote the headline got it wrong. Whomever wrote the ranking got it wrong.

bluehenbillk
June 30th, 2006, 08:47 AM
To the writer's credit, he has Jamar Brittingham from Bloomsburg ranked 6th, which is probably about right. Brittingham was the PA HS Player of the Year & was one of the top 5 RB's in the country his senior year of HS. Problem was Jamar ain't so smart & had to goto prep school & am not sure he ever academically qualified to play 1-A.

But the kid is one helluva RB, it'll be interesting to see how he does against JMU.

AppGuy04
June 30th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I realize GVSU is a D2 powerhouse, but one of their DE's better than Murrell? I don't think so

GannonFan
June 30th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I realize GVSU is a D2 powerhouse, but one of their DE's better than Murrell? I don't think so

Why couldn't he be? There's no reason why DII couldn't have a player who, from an NFL perspective, is better than a player in IAA or even IA for that matter. Some very good and great players fall through the cracks all the time or don't really develop until later on - there's been plenty of great players that have come out of DII before - no reason for that to change now. It doesn't have any bearing on the quality of their overall team (obviously there are still 10 other guys on the field at a time) but you could easily have a stud in DII.

colgate13
June 30th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Why couldn't he be?

http://vcard.homer-simpson.de/images/familie/pic2.jpg

Because he plays for my team god darnit! No one is better than ASU! Arrrgggghhhhhh!

GannonFan
June 30th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Because he plays for my team god darnit! No one is better than ASU! Arrrgggghhhhhh!

Silly me. :o

AppGuy04
June 30th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Colgate got it, but seriously, its obvious there is a drop off from divisions, so its only logical

Retro
June 30th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Someone email this guy to buy a copy of the I-AA fall preview so he'll know which teams are in I-AA.

This is just another example of the media lumping I-AA in with all other lower divisions.. We need to educate them as much as possible..:bang:

GannonFan
June 30th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Someone email this guy to buy a copy of the I-AA fall preview so he'll know which teams are in I-AA.

This is just another example of the media lumping I-AA in with all other lower divisions.. We need to educate them as much as possible..:bang:

It's the problems with headlines - heck, in the article itself the guy writing does say DII when he's talking about a DII player, and a I-AA player when he's talking about a I-AA player. Headlines just aren't long enough to spell out the differentiation.

JMU Duke Dog
June 30th, 2006, 02:14 PM
To the writer's credit, he has Jamar Brittingham from Bloomsburg ranked 6th, which is probably about right. Brittingham was the PA HS Player of the Year & was one of the top 5 RB's in the country his senior year of HS. Problem was Jamar ain't so smart & had to goto prep school & am not sure he ever academically qualified to play 1-A.

But the kid is one helluva RB, it'll be interesting to see how he does against JMU.

I hope JMU people realize how good of a running back we are facing in our 2006 opener as well!

blueballs
June 30th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I'm not too worried about his boo-foo'ing nomenclature. For the most part he is correct about the players. The Race kid from PittSt is the real thing.

What really boggles my mind is this: There is a rising Jr. on a perennial contender from a playoff conference who in 2005 rushed for over 1400 yards and 21 TD's and isn't listed ANYWHERE on any all american teams or even honorable mention. That really puzzles me...

Can anybody name this player???

smallcollegefbfan
June 30th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I'm not too worried about his boo-foo'ing nomenclature. For the most part he is correct about the players. The Race kid from PittSt is the real thing.

What really boggles my mind is this: There is a rising Jr. on a perennial contender from a playoff conference who in 2005 rushed for over 1400 yards and 21 TD's and isn't listed ANYWHERE on any all american teams or even honorable mention. That really puzzles me...

Can anybody name this player???

I am going to guess your former QB Jayson Foster. Didn't he run for over 1400 yards and 21 TDS lol? Maybe they aren't picking him because of so much unknown in your new offense now?

crunifan
June 30th, 2006, 03:35 PM
If this list was in any way legitimate, Eric Sanders would have been on it.

Mr. C
June 30th, 2006, 09:14 PM
With all due respect to Sanders (who is a great kid, by the way), he is only ranked as the third or fourth best I-AA quarterback this season and really isn't an NFL prospect. His leadership abilities are off the chart, but he lacks arm strength and his size would also be a factor when talking about the top 25 overall prospects below I-A.

Mr. C
June 30th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I am going to guess your former QB Jayson Foster. Didn't he run for over 1400 yards and 21 TDS lol? Maybe they aren't picking him because of so much unknown in your new offense now?
Foster would have been the most experienced quarterback in the SoCon this season, but as a wide receiver, I'm not sure he would rank higher than fourth best with the Eagles, behind Craft, McCutcheon and Tim Camp. It would have been it interesting to see what Foster would do at running back.

igo4uni
June 30th, 2006, 09:26 PM
With all due respect to Sanders (who is a great kid, by the way), he is only ranked as the third or fourth best I-AA quarterback this season and really isn't an NFL prospect. His leadership abilities are off the chart, but he lacks arm strength and his size would also be a factor when talking about the top 25 overall prospects below I-A.

I agree, Mr. C. I wouldn't trade Sanders for anyone, but his NFL prospects are not good because of the things you mention.

Chi Panther
June 30th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I could care less if a UNI player is on this list.....

BUT.....any RB ranked ahead of Arkee......has not seen the champ play.....

ONLY IF he was a UNI Panther....

blackfordpu
June 30th, 2006, 09:43 PM
He gave SFA some media coverage. :eek:

Probably the only time all season. ;) :)

Tod
June 30th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Funny that I-AA is in the title, yet he specifically mentions D-II in the first sentence on his #1 player. Hey, I'm not so much arguing with where the players stand, because I don't follow it all that closely amongst divisions, but get the title right.

I will argue where the players stand when it comes to David Ball. I'm not an expert (at least not in present company), but I think Ball is, if nothing else, an all-time giant in I-AA. He's already proven it, but after his senior season, nobody will be able to disagree.

:twocents:

lucchesicourt
July 1st, 2006, 04:25 AM
Just my 2 cents, but it seems that some 1AA fans ASSUME if a guy plays D2 he cannot be the better player over a D1AA. It is really hard too judge who is the best player, but there is little doubt that there have been some D2's who were better than the D1AA's over the years. My guess is a non schollie D2 Ken O'Brien was better than almost all, if not all, 1AA players the year of the NFL draft. But, everyone was saying, "Who". The NY Jet fans booed O'Brien when his name was announced at the draft, and he went on to post some pretty good numbers for the Jets.

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2006, 12:34 PM
Just my 2 cents, but it seems that some 1AA fans ASSUME if a guy plays D2 he cannot be the better player over a D1AA. It is really hard too judge who is the best player, but there is little doubt that there have been some D2's who were better than the D1AA's over the years. My guess is a non schollie D2 Ken O'Brien was better than almost all, if not all, 1AA players the year of the NFL draft. But, everyone was saying, "Who". The NY Jet fans booed O'Brien when his name was announced at the draft, and he went on to post some pretty good numbers for the Jets.

I fully agree. There are players like Germaine Race at Pittsburg State who would be great players in I-AA. Just like many fan in I-A assume that there could never be a player in I-AA or even D2 who is as good or better than someone in I-A. You can't tell me that Randy Moss and Terrell Owens are not as good or better than the top receivers in I-A.

pete4256
July 2nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
Foster would have been the most experienced quarterback in the SoCon this season, but as a wide receiver, I'm not sure he would rank higher than fourth best with the Eagles, behind Craft, McCutcheon and Tim Camp. It would have been it interesting to see what Foster would do at running back.

As a freshman, Foster was higher on the depth chart and got FAR more action than McCutcheon. That probably means that Foster still gets the nod as GSU's second best WR at this point. That is even more of a compliment to Craft.

Also, I have my suspicions that Foster will see a little time in the backfield this year. Please don't tell Jerry Moore.

Too bad you saw Foster when he was hobbled (badly) in Boone. Did you see any other games?

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2006, 12:07 PM
As a freshman, Foster was higher on the depth chart and got FAR more action than McCutcheon. That probably means that Foster still gets the nod as GSU's second best WR at this point. That is even more of a compliment to Craft.

Also, I have my suspicions that Foster will see a little time in the backfield this year. Please don't tell Jerry Moore.

Too bad you saw Foster when he was hobbled (badly) in Boone. Did you see any other games?

I would love to see Foster have a huge year. He is an all-around threat will surely cause nightmares for many teams this fall.

Why did you ask Mr. C. if he only saw the game in Boone? Does he live in Boone or something?