PDA

View Full Version : Lost Rivalries Due to changing Classifications

Franks Tanks
June 29th, 2006, 07:24 PM
The talk of North Dakota moving up and being able to rekindle their storied rivalry with NDSU got me thinking as to how many other 1-AA's lost traditional rivalry games-either attrubuted to themsleves moving up to 1-AA or having their rival move to 1-A? Im sure many of the Louisiansa schools miss playing LA-Lafayette and LA-Monroe for example, and just wondering what other schools are in the same boat.

Go...gate
June 29th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Syracuse, Rutgers and Army immediately come to mind for Colgate. Three of their oldest rivals.

Cornell also had a strong relationship with Syracuse and played Rutgers a number of times.

Yale played Army numerous times in the past century or so (though that rivalry may be revived)

For Princeton, the biggest loss is Rutgers - they date back to 1869, having played the first football game in New Brunswick. What a great rivalry.

Pennsylvania played Penn State and Navy for many years until the late 1950's.

For Holy Cross, Boston College and Syracuse were fixtures on their schedule at one time.

In the days of the Middle Three and Middle Atlantic Conference, Temple and Rutgers appeared on the schedules of Lafayette, Lehigh and Bucknell yearly (along with Delaware, Gettysburg, and, in some seasons, Albright and Franklin & Marshall as well)

JoshUCA
June 29th, 2006, 07:34 PM
UCA's rivalry with Arkansas Tech ended this past season due to our moving up. I hate to see this rivalry end because there was such a hatred between the two teams. The rivalry ended last season with UCA taking a 41-40-3 lead in the 84-game series. Man, I am going to miss kicking the snot out of "VoTech"....http://www.uca.edu/athletics/dance/media/tech_004.jpg

Umass74
June 29th, 2006, 07:35 PM
No bigger lost rivalry than UMass-UConn :mad: :mad: :mad:

Harvard and Holy Cross no longer willing to play us also sucks.

Tod
June 29th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Montana had quite a rivalry with Idaho, and Idaho has dominated. Montana's record vs Idaho is 27-55-2. So, 85 years (or close, I don't have the stats to show if seasons were missed due to WW II or anything).

The saving grace for the Griz is that they beat the Vandals the last four times we played, and they were I-A. A weak I-A, no doubt, but it's kind of funny that they could dominate us, winning 70% of the time, then move "up" and lose four in a row.

Of course, Montana has only been a strong team for the last 15 years or so. 90 years or so of mediocrity (good seasons, of course, but not like now).

:) :) :) :thumbsup:

Cocky
June 29th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Troy's rivalry with us is gone for the most part. The rivalry mean more to Troy than JSU, IMO.

EKU and Middle Tenn
Marshall vs the SOCON

DFW HOYA
June 29th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Georgetown-Boston College was a big game while it lasted.

Tribefan
June 29th, 2006, 09:09 PM
UConn and Yale

asufan87
June 29th, 2006, 09:12 PM
ASU vs Marshall. Man I miss that matchup!

gasoutherneagle
June 29th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Southern and Marshall, I just wish the Herd was in the SoCon in 1999.

BEAR
June 29th, 2006, 09:24 PM
UCA's rivalry with Arkansas Tech ended this past season due to our moving up. I hate to see this rivalry end because there was such a hatred between the two teams. The rivalry ended last season with UCA taking a 41-40-3 lead in the 84-game series. Man, I am going to miss kicking the snot out of "VoTech"....http://www.uca.edu/athletics/dance/media/tech_004.jpg
........I hate that mascot of the bear...looks like a possum...we need costume help....
There is no doubt in my mind that rivalry will be missed greatly! I guess now the Wondergirls can play the Boll Weevils or the muleriders as rivals..xcoffeex

Any school in the Southland need a good rivalry to be established??:beerchug:

paytonlives
June 29th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Montana had quite a rivalry with Idaho, and Idaho has dominated. Montana's record vs Idaho is 27-55-2. So, 85 years (or close, I don't have the stats to show if seasons were missed due to WW II or anything).

The saving grace for the Griz is that they beat the Vandals the last four times we played, and they were I-A. A weak I-A, no doubt, but it's kind of funny that they could dominate us, winning 70% of the time, then move "up" and lose four in a row.

Of course, Montana has only been a strong team for the last 15 years or so. 90 years or so of mediocrity (good seasons, of course, but not like now).

:) :) :) :thumbsup:

The other two that quickly come to mind are Nevada-Reno (now Nevada) and Boise State. When the BSC had Idaho, Reno, Boise and a upstart Montana team, wow was that good football. I hated and still do, those three teams MORE then Montana State.

fuEMO
June 29th, 2006, 09:51 PM
I would place Furman/Marshall as the biggest, baddest, rival game missing in the SoCon. The 88 game was classic.

ngineer
June 29th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Lehigh had a nice series going with Rutgers up until the late 1970's and at the time the series ended the teams had split the last 10 meetings, 5-5. Only and hour and half drive from Bethlehem.
We've tried to renew some games with Army and Navy, but they won't play us. Last Navy game was 1987 and Army in 1995.:(

Franks Tanks
June 29th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Lehigh had a nice series going with Rutgers up until the late 1970's and at the time the series ended the teams had split the last 10 meetings, 5-5. Only and hour and half drive from Bethlehem.
We've tried to renew some games with Army and Navy, but they won't play us. Last Navy game was 1987 and Army in 1995.:(

Sounds similar to our situation, we also played Rutgers pretty regularly but that series ended more in teh 60's for us rather than the 70's. We last played Army in 96(cant believe its been 10 years already) and Navy in 93 or 94 cant quite remember. Of cousrse they dont want to play either of us anymore becacause they stink, well Army does anyway. Do you recall 2002 when an 4-8 (2-5 in league play) Holy Cross team beat Army, that was very interesting. Anyway great posts so far

blukeys
June 29th, 2006, 10:58 PM

C'mon ngineer they will play you. They just will not give you a home game in return. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Navy will play Delaware and Northeastern but not Lehigh. Army will play UMASS and not Lehigh. xidiotx xidiotx

The fact is the service academies have a ton of I-AA's to pick from especially Army and Navy in the East. Delaware had a regular home and home with Navy but that is long gone. Navy refuses to give Delaware ANY home game and so UD goes to Annapolis. This is the way of college football scheduling. :nod: :nod:

bkrownd
June 29th, 2006, 11:54 PM
No bigger lost rivalry than UMass-UConn :mad: :mad: :mad:

Harvard and Holy Cross no longer willing to play us also sucks.

How about that old crosstown rivalry, Mass Aggie vs. Amherst College? ;)

Also, Boston College used to be an big game on the UMass schedule.

lucchesicourt
June 30th, 2006, 04:58 AM
If schools have a rivalry that draws fans and is enjoyed by all, why change the game just becuase they are no longer in the same division? UCD played Sac State even though Sac moved to D1AA, and UCD was D2. It didn't cause too many problems for us or them (except they kept losing). It still continues to this day!!

DTSpider
June 30th, 2006, 07:11 AM
A bit off topic, but can the Patriot teams play 1A teams and have the game count towards bowl eligibility for the 1A team? I thought that there was some sort of scholarship requirement for the 1AA team. Just going off of heresay at this point, so hopefully someone out here can clarify. Thanks.

UAalum72
June 30th, 2006, 07:48 AM
I think the requirement is 90% of the maximum number of equivalencies, not necessarily scholarships - 56.7 of 63 - so most of the PL should be eligible. Colgat beat Buffalo in 2003.

slostang
June 30th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Cal Poly played Fresno State up through the 70's. Obviously Fresno State has seperated from Cal Poly since then. Now Cal Poly would love to play Fresno State, but Fresno State wants no part of Cal Poly. It would be a great I-A money game. It is only a three hour bus ride to Fresno and many kids from the San Joaquin Valley attend Cal Poly. Cal Poly may have a better chance of playing Fresno State now that Pat Hill's son, Matt Hill, is a redshirt freshman LB at Cal Poly.

chrisattsu
June 30th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I have heard that when Texas State was D2 they had a pretty good rivalry with periennial powerhouse Texas A&M-Kingsville. Since we moved up and they have not, the rivalry has quit.

Pard4Life
June 30th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Fordham - Pittsburgh was always a heated game back in the 1920s - 1940s, although they did not play as many times as other rivalries.

Also, Fordham - NYU was a big battle until the middle of the century as well.

For Lafayette, I think Rutgers is the team we played most often outside of Lehigh. In fact, up to the time we cancelled it, I think we were not that far behind the numbers of 'games played' as we were with Lehigh. If it were alive today, it would probably rank up there with most played... and in fact.. it think I have still seen it on some longer lists.

For Bucknell, I think Delaware?

And for Holy Cross, definetely Boston College... the series ended in 1986. Even with Holy Cross' great teams, they were unable to compete against a just above .500 team. I think the score of the final game was 56-21, with that being HC's only loss of the '86 season.

colgate13
June 30th, 2006, 08:37 AM
I think the requirement is 90% of the maximum number of equivalencies, not necessarily scholarships - 56.7 of 63 - so most of the PL should be eligible. Colgat beat Buffalo in 2003.

I believe this to be correct too, but I also think it puts most of the PL right on the edge, not necessarily eligible.

MYTAPPY
June 30th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I miss the App/Wake Forest matchups. The first game for either school every year was App at Wake. The game was known as the Black and Gold Bowl. These games were so much fun. It only took a hour and a half to travel from Boone to Winston-Salem. The visitor side was always more full than the home side. App won a good share of these games and Wake decided not to sign a new contract with us. Too bad. What fun they were.

gophoenix
June 30th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Wofford against Presbyterian when Wofford moved up to DI.
Elon against Guilford when Guilford went to DIII
Elon against Lenoir-Rhyne when Elon went to DI
Elon against Wake Forest from the 1920s-30s.

The game was known as the Black and Gold Bowl. These games were so much fun. It only took a hour and a half to travel from Boone to Winston-Salem. The visitor side was always more full than the home side. App won a good share of these games and Wake decided not to sign a new contract with us.

Uhm, yeah. I went to 6 of those in the late 80s and early 90s. The games were packed, but by no means were App fans outnumbering Wake fans or Winston-Salem locals. Also, you guys were 7-14-1 against them since 1971 winning the majority of those 7 during the Caldwell years. The contract wasn't renewed because Wake has nothing to gain in playing App. The same argument App uses when you schedule Coastal, Elon, Wake and others.

MYTAPPY
June 30th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Also, you guys were 7-14-1 against them since 1971 winning the majority of those 7 during the Caldwell years.

The majority of our wins in the series were towards the end of it. I would just like to play them again. My father went to Wake and it was fun to have the family split on who to go for. I obviously went for App. Fun games they were.

HPCAT
June 30th, 2006, 09:33 AM
SWT (Texas State) vs. Texas A&I (A&M-Kingsville)

SWT (Texas State) vs. East Texas State (A&M-Commerce)

SWT (Texas State) vs. Howard Payne

GannonFan
June 30th, 2006, 09:35 AM
For Bucknell, I think Delaware?

We tried getting the Bucknell series revitalized in the 80's but the games started to get out of hand (big UD wins). Heck, we even went to Lewisburg for games as well. But like the Lehigh series, I think they begged out of the series upon the creation of the Patriot League as they, like Lehigh, thought they wouldn't be able to compete anymore. We have played Lehigh a lot since then, but Bucknell has stayed off the radar. I think they've been gone too long for that rivalry to really start up again.

SU Jag
June 30th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Tuskegee vs Alabama A&M(they could still schedule them as a OCG)
Alabama A&M vs Morehouse
Alabama A&M vs Miles(same as Tuskegee)

SU Jag
June 30th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Add......Jacksonville State vs North Alabama

Jacksonville St vs Troy(JSU would have beat them in 05):nod:

North Alabama vs Troy

RabidRabbit
June 30th, 2006, 07:06 PM
:hurray: SDSU JacksVS USD Coyotes

As intense a rivalry as up north. May see them again if/when they move up.

JaxSinfonian
June 30th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Jacksonville St vs Troy(JSU would have beat them in 05):nod:
Any rivalry where the 'Cocks take on the Trojans has gotta be missed.

Despite Cocky's opinion, I miss this game a lot. I get jealous everytime our new conference foes EKU take on their archrivals in Bowling Green. I remember what it was like to get that fired up for one game. Sigh ...

Whup Troy!

Lehigh Football Nation
July 1st, 2006, 08:40 AM
C'mon ngineer they will play you. They just will not give you a home game in return. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Navy will play Delaware and Northeastern but not Lehigh. Army will play UMASS and not Lehigh. xidiotx xidiotx

ngineer knows what he's talking bout here blukeys. Just this past year Lehigh wanted a game with Army - I know they were pusuing it, and they turned around and announced a game with YALE.

Yes, Army is willing to play a I-AA game that doesn't count for bowl eligibility instead of Lehigh. Army is fraidy-scared of us, plain and simple.

colonelblitz
July 1st, 2006, 08:50 AM
Any rivalry where the 'Cocks take on the Trojans has gotta be missed.

Despite Cocky's opinion, I miss this game a lot. I get jealous everytime our new conference foes EKU take on their archrivals in Bowling Green. I remember what it was like to get that fired up for one game. Sigh ...

Whup Troy!

Well Jax, you can come on up to Richmond this year and join in on the fun .I haven't found a Topper yet that I couldn't find something to dislike about them.:) ( Except Killtoppers90 and his multiple personalities)xidiotx

I miss.. Middle Tenn, Marshall, Youngstown, Morehead.
Eastern/Western, the only true rivaly in the state of Kentucky.

McNeese72
July 1st, 2006, 08:54 AM
McNeese vs USL......uh........ULL.......uh.....or whatever the hell they call themselves now a days.

GO TO HELL, USL, GO TO HELL!! That was the cheer that was hollered after every game starting with the first game of the season. And we always played them the last game of the season.

The 19776 McNeese-USL game still holds the stadium attendance record at 27,500.

We will finally get to play them again in 2007. Over a year away and it is already getting nasty on our messageboards.

Doc

Gil Dobie
July 1st, 2006, 09:08 AM
I see the Bison/Sioux rivalry starting again within 5 years. My guess is UND will join the GWFC. (which is pretty obvious)

ngineer
July 1st, 2006, 09:28 AM

The fact is the service academies have a ton of I-AA's to pick from especially Army and Navy in the East. Delaware had a regular home and home with Navy but that is long gone. Navy refuses to give Delaware ANY home game and so UD goes to Annapolis. This is the way of college football scheduling. :nod: :nod:

Sorry Blu, I am correct. Army, especially, has refused our requests to play AT Michie. We have never expected a home game with either. Army sees playing Lehigh as a 'no-win' proposition. We'd likely beat them and losing to a 'small private school' does major damage for the huge military egos at the academies. After all, they're "I-A". Yes, they will play UD and UMass because you guys are viewed as 'big' state schools even though I-AA.
I know directly from speaking with our AD that repeated attempts to get a trip to West Point have fallen on deaf ears.

Demon Fan
July 1st, 2006, 10:22 AM
The talk of North Dakota moving up and being able to rekindle their storied rivalry with NDSU got me thinking as to how many other 1-AA's lost traditional rivalry games-either attrubuted to themsleves moving up to 1-AA or having their rival move to 1-A? Im sure many of the Louisiansa schools miss playing LA-Lafayette and LA-Monroe for example, and just wondering what other schools are in the same boat.

We (Northwestern State) still play ULL and ULM, just not as frequently as we would like. Their move to I-A has not really make that much of an impact on the quality of football that they play. Louisiana Tech plays a better brand of football, but they try not to play us (Northwestern State). Losing to us would have a particularly bad taste (because of the storied past of the two schools in football) as opposed to the possibility of losing to a team like Nicholls State (their I-AA opponent this year).

From 1907 until 1987, when La Tech dropped NSU from their regular schedule because they went I-A, those schools had a rivalry that matched and or surpassed almost any in college football. They played the annual game during the Louisiana State Fair at Shreveport, Lousiana in what is now Independence Stadium. The stadium held 50,000 at that time, it was always 80 to 100% sold. The pep ralleys were held on the parish (county) courthouse square, on opposite sides of the courhouse to help keep the opposing students from "meeting" before the game. It was the event of the year for both campuses and for thousands of fans. It is no more! (Tech has played NSU once since then, in 1994, and they prevailed 38-28, the game being played on the Tech campus.)

Since ULM moved to I-A, NSU's record is 3-3 against them
Since ULL moved to I-A, NSU's record is 2-3 against them

BusinessEagle
July 1st, 2006, 03:57 PM
Georgia Southern vs. Middle Tennessee was a good rilvary. Remember the "Hugo Bowl"?

blukeys
July 1st, 2006, 11:04 PM
Sorry Blu, I am correct. Army, especially, has refused our requests to play AT Michie. We have never expected a home game with either. Army sees playing Lehigh as a 'no-win' proposition. We'd likely beat them and losing to a 'small private school' does major damage for the huge military egos at the academies. After all, they're "I-A". Yes, they will play UD and UMass because you guys are viewed as 'big' state schools even though I-AA.
I know directly from speaking with our AD that repeated attempts to get a trip to West Point have fallen on deaf ears.

I guess you are saying that their perception of Lehigh is below that of UD or Umass. My apologies over the misunderstanding to both you and LFN. As I was comparing UD's experience with Navy to yours with Army and did not see that they would perceive Lehigh as being different from Delaware. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

My view is that Lehigh would be just as competitive with Army as Umass or UD. But I guess I am probably better informed then the Army alumni who in the end the West Point Authorities must please. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Navy has certainly done well in attendance whenever the Hens go to Annapolis but they will in the end schedule Northeastern (no disrespect to the Huskies) rather than agree to any more games in Newark as they did in the 80's.

This is the reality of college football scheduling.

By yours and LFN's reasoning Army would schedule Rhode Island (a state school) ahead of Lehigh. I get it. Those who don't know football could see Rhode Island as being vastly superior to Lehigh and thus a loss would not be as traumatic.

Rhode Island may have a good team this year and we will have to face them but I know the parity in I-AA shows that the difference between URI and Lehigh is not great and the Lehigh devotees will argue their team is in fact superior.

Again this is the sad reality of scheduling I-A's in today's environment. My sympathies to Lehigh on this issue.

ngineer
July 2nd, 2006, 10:04 AM
You are correct in terms of Army's and several other schools' perception of Lehigh. You see it on this Board. There is a perception that people across the country seeing Army lose to a 'little Lehigh' as we have been frequently called, would be shocked and just another chink in the Black Knight's armor. Perceptions are not reality, but they are real in their existence in many people's minds. That's what I was alluding to. I agree there is not a great deal of difference between various programs you mention.
Keep in mind that Army is a member of the PL in all other sports, hence all the more strange that they would continually refuse our requests. You would certainly think they'd be willing to schedule us at least once a decade...

DuckDuckGriz
July 2nd, 2006, 01:10 PM
After seeing this I think Northwestern State and ULM is a good candidate....

xlolx xlolx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tVAjCfBRAs&search=college%20football

AppMan
July 2nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
I would place Furman/Marshall as the biggest, baddest, rival game missing in the SoCon. The 88 game was classic.

Sorry, but ASU / Marshall was the #1 rivalry game in the SoCon. Just ask anybody from Huntington.

whoanellie
July 2nd, 2006, 04:09 PM
Va-Tech "hokies" known then as the VPI Gobblers vs VMI in Roanoke on Thanksgiving. rivalry got a bit out of control.

bulldog10jw
July 2nd, 2006, 04:25 PM
ngineer knows what he's talking bout here blukeys. Just this past year Lehigh wanted a game with Army - I know they were pusuing it, and they turned around and announced a game with YALE.

actually, TWO games with Yale, and the possibility of more.

http://v009u44mub.maximumasp.com/article.asp?intID=4361

Gil Dobie
July 2nd, 2006, 04:54 PM
NDSU played Grambling in 1965. Would be nice to have a rematch of that bowl game some day.

ngineer
July 2nd, 2006, 09:18 PM
actually, TWO games with Yale, and the possibility of more.
http://v009u44mub.maximumasp.com/article.asp?intID=4361

Maybe they figure it's a 'lock'....:D

bulldog10jw
July 2nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
Maybe they figure it's a 'lock'....:D

I'm sure they do. I'm hoping that by 2010, it won't be.

Go...gate
July 3rd, 2006, 02:12 PM
Bulldog, that is a home-and-home, right?

bulldog10jw
July 3rd, 2006, 03:02 PM

No, both games are at Army in 2010 and 2012. Supposedly there is a gentleman's agreement that Army will come to the Bowl sometime after that as part of a home and home. We'll see. It will probably depend on the direction each program goes in the next decade.(and how competitive the first two games are.)

JBB
July 3rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
The biggest thing about moving up was not the rivalries we were losing but the ones we gained. UCD and Cal Poly are great additions to the schedule and the Boarder Battle with SDSU has turned into a great game. We renewed with the Griz and are now looking forward to Montana State coming to Fargo on the back end of a home home. Same for GSU. No, nothing was lost but much was gained!

ucdtim17
July 3rd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah we certainly didn't lose anything in Davis (humboldt and western oregon???)

bulldog10jw
July 29th, 2006, 05:31 PM

No, both games are at Army in 2010 and 2012. Supposedly there is a gentleman's agreement that Army will come to the Bowl sometime after that as part of a home and home. We'll see. It will probably depend on the direction each program goes in the next decade.(and how competitive the first two games are.)

according to the 2006 Yale Football Media Guide, Army will visit the Yale Bowl in 2014.

hvsader
July 29th, 2006, 06:12 PM
hc vs bc was huge for many years...

surprised to hear hc won't play umass...maybe it's because umass won't play hc in bball. too bad though, potential for nice rivalry

JoltinJoe
July 29th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Fordham - Pittsburgh was always a heated game back in the 1920s - 1940s, although they did not play as many times as other rivalries.

Also, Fordham - NYU was a big battle until the middle of the century as well.

The Fordham-Pitt series started in the 1930s with the 1935 game at the Polo Grounds. As the teams were for years prior to that were considered the best two teams in the East, that game was probably one of the biggest college games ever played up to that point.

The first three Fordham-Pitt games were played to 0-0 ties!
(1935, 1936 & 1937). In January 1938, the Fordham and Pitt basketball teams were to play a game at Madison Square Gardens. One of the New York papers predicted a 0-0 tie.

Pitt drew first blood in the series in 1938 with a win at home. The crowd for that game is still the largest crowd ever for a Pitt home game.

Fordham
July 29th, 2006, 09:58 PM
pitt sucks

fuEMO
July 29th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Sorry, but ASU / Marshall was the #1 rivalry game in the SoCon. Just ask anybody from Huntington.

AppMan, I have to disagree. My daughter's godfather is a Marshall grad. I have been spit on, cused, hit in the head with a slow gin bottle in Huntington. I will never forget the Marshall/Montana Championship game. I was watching on television and a Terd fan holds up a Furman Sucks sign. That's hatred.

Mike Johnson
July 29th, 2006, 11:13 PM
One thing to consider in this discussion, particularly with respect to IA and IAA games is that until recently, IA schools could only count 1 IAA school every four years for bowl eligibility. Other than the one every four years, a IAA school counted as a game, but win or lose, it didn't count as a win. If the IA school played 11 games, it needed 6 wins to be bowl eligible. If it played 12 games, it needed 7 wins. There was thus a strong motivator for a lot of IA teams to not schedule IAA teams.

Last year the number of IA-IAA games exploded, as the rules have been changed to allow one "count" IAA team each year. I believe that a "count" IAA team needs 50 scholarships.

This change will open up more options for IA schools to play IAA. Personally, I believe that the lower tier IA schools were becoming expensive for IA schools in the "big conference" and this provides a greater supply of fodder for them to play at home. And the lower half schools of the major IA conferences, it may increase the odds they will win the game--at least giving them more options to choose for that one game. The IA school from a major conference may have to pay $600,000 to a team from the WAC or the MAC, but can get a typical IAA team for half that.

WUTNDITWAA
July 29th, 2006, 11:22 PM
AppMan, I have to disagree. My daughter's godfather is a Marshall grad. I have been spit on, cused, hit in the head with a slow gin bottle in Huntington. I will never forget the Marshall/Montana Championship game. I was watching on television and a Terd fan holds up a Furman Sucks sign. That's hatred.

Nope. No way in hell would I let a Marshall grad be the Godfather to my child. Just for that reason.

Killtoppers90
July 30th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Well Jax, you can come on up to Richmond this year and join in on the fun .I haven't found a Topper yet that I couldn't find something to dislike about them.:) ( Except Killtoppers90 and his multiple personalities)xidiotx
Dude...WTF? Compliment..I think?

Cat79
July 30th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Texas State formerly known as Southwest Texas State had some good rivalry games with University of North Texas, Texas A & I which is now Texas A & M Kingsville, Abilene Christian, Angelo State and East Texas State now known as Texas A & M Commerce.:D

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Texas State formerly known as Southwest Texas State had some good rivalry games with University of North Texas, Texas A & I which is now Texas A & M Kingsville, Abilene Christian, Angelo State and East Texas State now known as Texas A & M Commerce.:D

Would be nice if one day A&M-Kingsville made the jump to Div I. The Javelinas had some good rivalries with quite a few SLC schools and it'd be a great rivalry there between the Javelinas and Islanders (A&M-CC)...

hvsader
August 8th, 2006, 07:17 AM
...just announced, Holy Cross vs Umass in '07 & '08

Umass74
August 8th, 2006, 07:38 AM
..just announced, Holy Cross vs Umass in '07 & '08

Yes! :hurray: Welcome back Holy Cross!

henfan
August 8th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I'm a little surprised no UD fan has mentioned our lost series with our most heated/hated football rival, Temple. The two teams met virtually every year from 1950 through 1985, with Delaware holding a 22-14 series edge.

UD-TU games were usually a hoot (pardon the pun), except those from the period '73-'79, when the Owls classified as D-I/I-A and the Hens were D-II. TU won 6 of those 7 games.

When UD reclassified as I-AA in '80, the tide changed. Delaware won 4 of the next 6 games against I-A Temple before the series was terminated after the '85 season. Those were the days when it was not uncommon for I-A teams to play road games at I-AAs and D-IIs.

That's one series I'd like to see revived, if the two schools could strike an equitable financial deal. Rumor has it that TU would play UD but only if the games were at Lincoln Financial Field. UD allegedly wants a home game. Impasse.:bang:

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Why doesn't UD forego the home game for a revenue sharing deal at the Linc? Then you could have 25-30K Blue Hen fans in Philly, embarass the Owls AND make as much money (or more) as a game at the Tub?

henfan
August 8th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Why doesn't UD forego the home game for a revenue sharing deal at the Linc? Then you could have 25-30K Blue Hen fans in Philly, embarass the Owls AND make as much money (or more) as a game at the Tub?

Good ideas but I don't know if that's even an option for either school. You'd have to think it would work for UD and many of its fans.

My speculation, based on what I've read in the press, is that TU needs to maximize its profits at home because of their unfavorable rental agreement with the NFL Eagles. I'm not sure how advantageous it would be for them to put money at risk to play UD. The option would be to pay UD a guarantee in excess of 250K. They could get another I-AA school to agree to much less than that. On the other side, I don't know if UD could afford to pay TU what they could get for a I-A road game elsewhere.

It's probably just too much trouble for both sides, especially where significant egos and hundreds of thousands of dollars are involved. It's a shame too because this was once a significant rivalry in the Philly area. There's a lot of revenue that could be generated with this series to the benefit of both programs. :(

PaladinFan
August 8th, 2006, 03:14 PM
I think Marshall goes as the top missed rivalry for most of the Southern Conference. It's been 10 years since they were in, but people still talk about 1988 as though it were yesterday. I am rarely at a tailgate with Furman fans that Marshall is not brought up.

Heck, those guys made GSU fans look like Miss Manners.

MYTAPPY
August 8th, 2006, 04:17 PM
How about lost rivalies due to lack of money to support football.

The APP/ETSU games were a lot of fun. We were so close to each other you could count on a good number of visiting fans showing up.

Poor ETSU. The minidome where they played was a DUMP.

GSUhooligan
August 8th, 2006, 04:23 PM

The APP/ETSU games were a lot of fun. We were so close to each other you could count on a good number of visiting fans showing up.

Poor ETSU. The minidome where they played was a DUMP.

I bet you guys miss the Lees-McRae rivalry too...xlolx

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 8th, 2006, 07:47 PM
After seeing this I think Northwestern State and ULM is a good candidate....

xlolx xlolx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tVAjCfBRAs&search=college%20football

I actually missed that game.....xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

My cousin was ULM's weakside LB that yr.....and has been gloating about that game ever since.

Also, I think 2 yrs later...our "female demon" got in a fight with a 12 yr old.

And they say mascots aren't dangerous:rolleyes:

henfan
August 9th, 2006, 08:28 AM

Several of the New England schools (and Delaware!) miss the rivalry with Boston University.: smh :

GSUhooligan
August 9th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Do you guys think that you'll replace "Vo Tech" with Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

SoCon48
August 10th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Wofford against Presbyterian when Wofford moved up to DI.
Elon against Guilford when Guilford went to DIII
Elon against Lenoir-Rhyne when Elon went to DI
Elon against Wake Forest from the 1920s-30s.

Uhm, yeah. I went to 6 of those in the late 80s and early 90s. The games were packed, but by no means were App fans outnumbering Wake fans or Winston-Salem locals. Also, you guys were 7-14-1 against them since 1971 winning the majority of those 7 during the Caldwell years. The contract wasn't renewed because Wake has nothing to gain in playing App. The same argument App uses when you schedule Coastal, Elon, Wake and others.

As you say, umm yeah.

First 3 of 7 is not a majority. "you guys were 7-14-1..winning the majority of those 7 during the Caldwell years."

The series started in 1975, not 1971.

Winning basically a third of the games vs Wake is not bad at all considering all the games were on the road vs WF's Groves, etc. ACC

I don't think App fares much better than winning around a third of it's road games against any opponent and I'm fairly certain Wake hasn't done much better than a third against any one team on the road.

App's wins came as follows:
Chuck Mills 1
Al Groh 1
Bill Dooley 2 plus a tie
J Caldwell 3

Never faced Macovic's teams.

Caldwell was at Wake for 7 seasons, so 3 is hardly out of kilter (compared to 2 W's & a tie vs Dooley) , especially since ASU's program was improving compared to the 70's and early 80's.

As to the contract not being renewed because they have nothing to gain by playing App, better stated, they stand to lose more than they gain.
Standing to lose about a third of the time means finding an easier 1-AA for the warm-up games.

SoCon48
August 10th, 2006, 06:39 AM
I bet you guys miss the Lees-McRae rivalry too...xlolx

Not much, considering ASU only played Lees-McRae once in 1928 (in ASU's first year of football).

I would imagine Georgia Southern misses their junior college rivalries quite a bit more.xlolx xlolx xlolx

Norman Jr College (5X) :D

Waynesboro Junior College