PDA

View Full Version : ASU and the WAC

SoCon48
July 19th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I can't believe that fans even consider ASU moving to the WAC even with some leaving with games consistently in the following places:

Denver, Idaho, Louisiana, New Mexico, California, the state of Washington, Texas, and Utah.

The travel costs would be horrendous and most of the fanbase would not be able to attend those away games

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Football only.

Only works if ASU, GA Southern, JMU and two more (Jax St and Lamar? Furman?) form an eastern division for 4 reasonably distances games a year. Then two trips out west to Idaho, Portland, Sac or New Mexico.

Eastern:
ASU
GSU
JMU
JSU?
Lamar?

Western:
Idaho
NMSU
Portland St
Sac St
(another?)

ASU continues playing other sports in the SoCon, if they can bamboozle them. Or perhaps they go with Davidson and CoC for bball only to the CAA? Otherwise, A-Sun, Big South, something like that.

SpiritCymbal
July 19th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Not going to happen so don't waste your brain energy.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 19th, 2012, 11:28 AM
WAC idea is whack. xcoffeex

RadioFan
July 19th, 2012, 11:41 AM
AppSt. would be better served going to CAA in Football only than in the WAC as a FB only member.

If the WAC thing did happen, the eastern schools should require the leadership of the conference be handed over to them and then start migrating it completely East Coast.

Liberty, JMU, GaSo, AppSt., Jax St., UDel. NMSU, Idaho would make a pretty pathetic conference. Even if they could beg Montana, Portland, Sac. St, and Montanta State to join on the West Coast to make it 6-East and 6-West, it'd still be an ugly thing.

TheRevSFA
July 19th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Football only.

Only works if ASU, GA Southern, JMU and two more (Jax St and Lamar? Furman?) form an eastern division for 4 reasonably distances games a year. Then two trips out west to Idaho, Portland, Sac or New Mexico.

Eastern:
ASU
GSU
JMU
JSU?
Lamar?

Western:
Idaho
NMSU
Portland St
Sac St
(another?)

ASU continues playing other sports in the SoCon, if they can bamboozle them. Or perhaps they go with Davidson and CoC for bball only to the CAA? Otherwise, A-Sun, Big South, something like that.

http://www.icanhasinternets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dwZ10.jpg

Also, Lamar in the East? You ever hear of something called an Atlas?

Saint3333
July 19th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I can't believe that fans even consider ASU moving to the WAC even with some leaving with games consistently in the following places:

Denver, Idaho, Louisiana, New Mexico, California, the state of Washington, Texas, and Utah.

The travel costs would be horrendous and most of the fanbase would not be able to attend those away games

This isn't even a consideration and hasn't been for about two months (when it was option "E" at that time). Where did this come from?

asumike83
July 19th, 2012, 12:06 PM
This isn't even a consideration and hasn't been for about two months (when it was option "E" at that time). Where did this come from?

That was my understanding too. The idea of a 'WAC East' took a shot to the head when JMU said they weren't interested (http://jamesmadison.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1366572&PT=4&PR=2) and had a stake driven through it's heart when Georgia Southern announced that they have no plans to leave the SoCon any time soon.

I think it would take an enormous amount of activity in conference realignment for this idea to be revisited again.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 12:21 PM
That's fine, suit yourselves. Just know that this may be your only chance to move up in a generation.

Where do you think the I-A invites are going to come from? If the WAC dissolves, there's not going to be a new conference to take its place. It's going to be 10 I-A conferences and that's it. And most of them are already full up with members. YOU CAN'T MOVE UP TO I-A WITHOUT AN INVITATION!!! Some of you thick skulls still don't get that (proven by the posts saying "let's just make a new conference lol !!11")

If you're in the FCS for the long haul, no sense making a lateral move to the CAA just to play games in Maine and New Hampshire.

RadioFan
July 19th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Rather not move up than be stuck in a bad bad bad situation in FBS and go broke as a department.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 12:24 PM
AppSt. would be better served going to CAA in Football only than in the WAC as a FB only member.

If the WAC thing did happen, the eastern schools should require the leadership of the conference be handed over to them and then start migrating it completely East Coast.

Liberty, JMU, GaSo, AppSt., Jax St., UDel. NMSU, Idaho would make a pretty pathetic conference. Even if they could beg Montana, Portland, Sac. St, and Montanta State to join on the West Coast to make it 6-East and 6-West, it'd still be an ugly thing.

Who gives a s___ if it's pathetic? It's I-A.

Do you want to grow the App St football brand? Do you want the program to be able to provide 85 full scholarships to players? Do you want to be able to recruit a higher caliber of athlete to Boone?

If you want these things, then you want I-A - at any cost, for now. Don't be so glib!

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Rather not move up than be stuck in a bad bad bad situation in FBS and go broke as a department.

Glib it is.

That's fine, stick your head in the sand.

By the way, if I-A is going to bankrupt ASU.....how does FCS football help??? Explain that one to me please. Your costs are about the same while getting zero respect and exposure on the national scene.

RadioFan
July 19th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Who gives a s___ if it's pathetic? It's I-A.

If you want these things, then you want I-A - at any cost

I disagree. Much rather see App play old rivalries in FCS than be stuck in a sinking situation. I (unlike most on here) trust the leadership of my school.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 12:30 PM
How are you going to continue playing old rivalries -- by the way, do Marshall and ECU count? -- if ASU is bankrupt????

Answer this question:
if I-A is going to bankrupt ASU.....how does I-AA football pay the bills?

RadioFan
July 19th, 2012, 12:30 PM
By the way, if I-A is going to bankrupt ASU.....how does FCS football help???

FCS means 40 less scholarships (men/women total) and the current conference offers less travel in all sports. WAC isn't stable enough to jump ship and perhaps have to survive as an I-A independent if the WAC does fail. WKU lost BIG TIME trying to survive as an I-A Indy team. If App does jump to a sinking conference and it collapses then their situation goes from "Meh" to "Oh ****".

RadioFan
July 19th, 2012, 12:32 PM
As I said, the ASU Leadership knows more than either of us on this board knows about the situation. I trust their leadership. Sorry that Montana's leadership isn't as stable.

asumike83
July 19th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Glib it is.

That's fine, stick your head in the sand.

By the way, if I-A is going to bankrupt ASU.....how does FCS football help??? Explain that one to me please.

FCS football doesn't bring in big money but it wouldn't drain money like the WAC would without sufficient members on the East coast. Georgia Southern, JMU and Delaware are not interested. That would put Appalachian in a conference with Liberty and Jacksonville State (if they are interested) along with Idaho, New Mexico State, Denver, Seatlle and Cal State-Bakersfield. Travel costs would be astronomical. Highly doubt football only would be an option. Why would the CAA or SoCon want ASU without our football program?

I would love for Appalachian to move up if the right opportunity is available but without enough schools in our region on board, it is just not feasible.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 12:34 PM
FCS football doesn't bring in big money but it wouldn't drain money like the WAC would without sufficient members on the East coast. Georgia Southern, JMU and Delaware are not interested. That would put Appalachian in a conference with Liberty and Jacksonville State (if they are interested) along with Idaho, New Mexico State, Denver, Seatlle and Cal State-Bakersfield. Travel costs would be astronomical. Highly doubt football only would be an option. Why would the CAA or SoCon want ASU without our football program?

I would love for Appalachian to move up if the right opportunity is available but without enough schools in our region on board, it is just not feasible.

Who is suggesting that ASU go the WAC alone????? Not me!

I've said from the beginning it only works as a package deal.

I also said football only.

Not even a hillbilly drunk on moonshine is going to send the bball, vball, soccer, baseball, etc. teams to the west coast. A-Sun would take you in a second, ETSU is there already.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 19th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Not going to happen so don't waste your brain energy.

Yes, don't waste your brain energy on MplsBison posts. Trust me. xlolx

asumike83
July 19th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Who is suggesting that ASU go the WAC alone????? Not me!

I've said from the beginning it only works as a package deal.

I also said football only.

Not even a hillbilly drunk on moonshine is going to send the bball, vball, soccer, baseball, etc. teams to the west coast. A-Sun would take you in a second, ETSU is there already.

A-Sun could be an option for other sports. I'm not thrilled about the idea of splitting membership between the WAC and Atlantic Sun but you're right, it would probably work. Hadn't thought of that.

The package deal is what makes it so complicated. If the other schools are not interested, there is nothing we can do about it. I want to move up if the situation is right, I just think the situation is more complex than you are making it out to be. Getting a half dozen athletic programs on the same page and finding homes for all the schools' other programs would be a logistical nightmare, especially considering that the WAC has about 2 weeks left to figure things out.

SoCon48
July 19th, 2012, 12:46 PM

It is mentioned on the MMB quite often.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Yes but did the other schools say "no" in the sense that they each aren't willing to jump over to the WAC by themselves? That would be my guess.

Has anyone directly asked the AD's at ASU, GSU, JMU if they'd be willing to consider football-only membership in the WAC if a group of eastern schools go together? Highly doubt it.

Once the WAC's gone, its invitations are gone too. Just keep that in mind....only so many spots at the country club.

SoCon48
July 19th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Yes but did the other schools say "no" in the sense that they each aren't willing to jump over to the WAC by themselves? That would be my guess.

Has anyone directly asked the AD's at ASU, GSU, JMU if they'd be willing to consider football-only membership in the WAC if a group of eastern schools go together? Highly doubt it.

Once the WAC's gone, it's invitations are gone too. Just keep that in mind....only so many spots at the country club.

What conference would consider ASU for all other sports except football?

Saint3333
July 19th, 2012, 12:52 PM
It is mentioned on the MMB quite often.

It was mentioned by Jcline who I believe is you based upon your posts. Don't start a topic on the MMB and then come over here acting like App fans are discussing it. Train has left the station.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 12:53 PM
What conference would consider ASU for all other sports except football?

Ask East Tennessee St.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 12:54 PM
It was mentioned by Jcline who I believe is you based upon your posts. Don't start a topic on the MMB and then come over here acting like App fans are discussing it. Train has left the station.

Why? WAC ain't dead yet.

CrazyCat
July 19th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Just about every reason (added revenue) justifying moving up by AD's will not be available in the WAC.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Just about every reason (added revenue) justifying moving up by AD's will not be available in the WAC.

Says a guy who wants the WAC to die for no other reason than he thinks it will pigeonhole Idaho back into the Big Sky. Bog off - I hope Idaho goes indy and rubs it in your faces.

How about $600million for the new playoffs? If the WAC survives, it'll get a piece. That sure as ___ is something the Big Sky will never sniff.

ASUMountaineer
July 19th, 2012, 01:30 PM

The SoCon is only interested in a school that plays football in another conference if it is private. xsmhx

TheRevSFA
July 19th, 2012, 01:51 PM
xdeadhorsex

CrazyCat
July 19th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Says a guy who wants the WAC to die for no other reason than he thinks it will pigeonhole Idaho back into the Big Sky. Bog off - I hope Idaho goes indy and rubs it in your faces.

How about $600million for the new playoffs? If the WAC survives, it'll get a piece. That sure as ___ is something the Big Sky will never sniff.

If anyone should "Bog off" it's you. Idaho going indy has no effect on the BSC and surely won't rub it in our face when they can't schedule anyone or have to schedule 8 away games for the paychecks and the only home games they will get are against NMSU and FCS teams willing to forego the home and home. The WAC as a football conference is dead. Get over it and move on.

The Cats
July 19th, 2012, 02:16 PM
xdeadhorsex

xdizzyx

BucBisonAtLarge
July 19th, 2012, 04:59 PM
The WAC has two years to work things out. I would say that game is over when either NMSU or Idaho bails for another conference, then it is hello, CSU-Bakersfield and UTPA. Would UI be so stubborn to avoid an all-sports Big Sky membership, letting Boise St. move all non-fb sports to the BSC?

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 08:08 PM
The WAC has two years to work things out. I would say that game is over when either NMSU or Idaho bails for another conference, then it is hello, CSU-Bakersfield and UTPA. Would UI be so stubborn to avoid an all-sports Big Sky membership, letting Boise St. move all non-fb sports to the BSC?

Idaho would only consider non-football sports moving to the Big Sky. That would be reasonable, but no cheaper than staying in the WAC.

Football will be staying I-A, even if it means independent for a few years.

Apphole
July 20th, 2012, 09:34 AM
How about the Big SKy conference and the WAC

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-sports/ci_21113344/big-sky-emerges-potential-lifeline-wac

"LAS CRUCES - The Big Sky Conference has emerged as a potential lifeline for the dwindling Western Athletic Conference.
In a radio interview with a Boise radio station, Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton said his league is exploring a merger with the Western Athletic Conference that could save the WAC as a non-football league in 2013-14 while keeping two automatic qualifiers for the NCAA basketball tournament in the west."

MplsBison
July 20th, 2012, 09:47 AM
How about the Big SKy conference and the WAC

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-sports/ci_21113344/big-sky-emerges-potential-lifeline-wac

"LAS CRUCES - The Big Sky Conference has emerged as a potential lifeline for the dwindling Western Athletic Conference.
In a radio interview with a Boise radio station, Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton said his league is exploring a merger with the Western Athletic Conference that could save the WAC as a non-football league in 2013-14 while keeping two automatic qualifiers for the NCAA basketball tournament in the west."

This would be reasonable FOR NON-FOOTBALL ONLY:

Conference A (call it the WAC)
Seattle - East Wash
Portland St - Sac St
Montana - Montana St
Boise St - Idaho

Conference B (call it the Big Sky)
UND - Idaho St
Denver - UNC
NAU - NM St
Weber St - SUU

As mentioned, this preserves the two auto bids to the NCAA tournaments which is the only reasonable thing to do (especially considering the NCAA credits the WAC has earned from Nevada and Utah St). I know UND and Idaho St don't exactly go together, but figured it made sense to keep MT and MT St together and in the same conference as Idaho and Boise, which would be together.

Boise ain't getting into the Big West. Not a freakin' snowball's chance in heck that a school in Idaho breaks into the California bus league. And with this proposal, now they don't have a good reason to want that anyway.

Boise, Idaho and New Mexico St of course stay independent of the rest of the Big Sky in football.

I like this idea!

It also makes the possibility of western I-A football nicely available to Montana, when they find their balls to make the move up.