PDA

View Full Version : Like father, Like son?

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 07:55 AM
"The past, oh the infinite greatness of the past. For what is the present after all but a growth out of the past?"

-Walt Whitman

Is it possible that all of those years ago Walt Whitman could be describing the fortunes of the Chattanooga football program? In 1978 a freshman Moc DB named Russ Huesman defined his greatness as a player by helping to lead the Mocs to the SOCON Championship, including a stunning 72-14 victory over one of the Mocs most hated rivals, the Appalachian State Mountaineers.

In 2012, the present has a chance to grow out of the past, a freshman Moc QB named Jacob Huesman, being coached by his father, Russ Huesman. Both can define their place in Chattanooga football lore with a Southern Conference Championship and a victory over the only Southern Conference program that has eluded Russ as a coach, the Appalachian State Mountaineers.

CID1990
July 19th, 2012, 09:39 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c897-1c5a-dad3.jpg

Apphole
July 19th, 2012, 10:50 AM
If Lil Huesman gets the start over Robinson, I call nepotism.

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 11:05 AM
If Lil Huesman gets the start over Robinson, I call nepotism.

Whether he starts or not is irrelevant. Both QBs are going to play significant minutes. You might know that if you actually read the articles I post instead of just junking up my threads with your ignorance.

PhoenixSupreme
July 19th, 2012, 11:10 AM
I'm quite biased against sons starting QB for their dad coaches since my first two years at Elon were watching Paul Hamilton and his son Kye stink it up badly.

ElonFirefighter
July 19th, 2012, 12:01 PM
well like father, the son left the university with his head between his legs. one positive we had a great punter those years

mocman1990
July 19th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Chattanooga is quite familiar with nepotism at the QB position. Stan Nix and Sloan Allison to name a couple. That being said, Jacob was a Mr Tennessee Back of the Year winner and was recruited by JMU.

Tough situation (a catch 22), he if he doesn't pan out, Huesman looks like a sucker for having his kid on the field...but if he had gone somewhere else and become a star, everyone would be saying "how did you not keep your own son here?"

Fortunately, I think Huesman does a good job finding ways for his players to produce...he took Sloan Allison (who was a pretty awful QB, that's me trying to be nice) and turned him into a solid receiver and an absolute fan favorite.

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Chattanooga is quite familiar with nepotism at the QB position. Stan Nix and Sloan Allison to name a couple. That being said, Jacob was a Mr Tennessee Back of the Year winner and was recruited by JMU.

Tough situation (a catch 22), he if he doesn't pan out, Huesman looks like a sucker for having his kid on the field...but if he had gone somewhere else and become a star, everyone would be saying "how did you not keep your own son here?"

Fortunately, I think Huesman does a good job finding ways for his players to produce...he took Sloan Allison (who was a pretty awful QB, that's me trying to be nice) and turned him into a solid receiver and an absolute fan favorite.

Jacob also had offers from Georgia Tech and Air Force. He may have decided to come here because his daddy was the coach, but that ain't the only reason they wanted him.

ASUG8
July 19th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Interesting that Chatty considers App to be their most hated rivals.

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Interesting that Chatty considers App to be their most hated rivals.

They don't.

ASUG8
July 19th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Read your post again.

That, combined with the amount of digital ink you've spilled about ASU leads me to wonder why.

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Read your post again.

That, combined with the amount of digital ink you've spilled about ASU leads me to wonder why.

What are you wondering again? I would have to say that Jacksonville State is Chattanooga's biggest football rival.

asumike83
July 19th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Whether he starts or not is irrelevant. Both QBs are going to play significant minutes.

That seems like a tough strategy to implement successfully. There are some situations (Tebow/Leak, etc.) that a two-QB system works but it is hard enough to get your offensive line, backs and receivers in sync with one QB, much less two. I think they would be better served to decide who their man is and stick with him, especially since it sounds like they have similar skill sets.

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 01:56 PM
That seems like a tough strategy to implement successfully. There are some situations (Tebow/Leak, etc.) that a two-QB system works but it is hard enough to get your offensive line, backs and receivers in sync with one QB, much less two. I think they would be better served to decide who their man is and stick with him, especially since it sounds like they have similar skill sets.

They have very different skill sets. The line is doing the same thing regardless of who the QB is. I think it is best to lull you to sleep with the smooth Mr. Robinson and then let Huesman torch you right up the middle for 6.

cbarrier90
July 19th, 2012, 02:01 PM
In 1978 a freshman Moc DB named Russ Huesman defined his greatness as a player by helping to lead the Mocs to the SOCON Championship, including a stunning 72-14 victory over one of the Mocs most hated rivals, the Appalachian State Mountaineers.

xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
July 19th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Does anybody else see the Mockingbird as being an ENTIRELY appropriate mascot for this guy's team? They fly in, crap over everything, annoy you, make a lot of noise and then fly off, leaving a mess....

Couldn't be any more perfect, ya know? ;)

Twentysix
July 19th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Does anybody else see the Mockingbird as being an ENTIRELY appropriate mascot for this guy's team? They fly in, crap over everything, annoy you, make a lot of noise and then fly off, leaving a mess....

Couldn't be any more perfect, ya know? ;)

They also lose more than they win. ;)