PDA

View Full Version : UNA looking for FCS home

major095
July 17th, 2012, 08:43 PM
The University of North Alabama is all dressed up with nowhere to go.

The school's board of trustees voted last June to embark on a journey to move the athletic program from NCAA Division II to Division I in all sports and to the Football Championship Subdivision level, the old NCAA Division I-AA status.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/07/una_athletics_una_still_lacks.html

Skjellyfetti
July 17th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I like UNA a lot. They'll be my second favorite FCS team and if App moves up... they'll become my FCS team. Florence and the surrounding area is a hidden gem-- beautiful scenery, rich history, and a wealth of music.

I don't think the SoCon would take them yet... but, I hope down the line they end up there.

BlueHenSinfonian
July 17th, 2012, 09:19 PM
They could fit in at the edges of the Southland or MVFC footprints as well.

TheRevSFA
July 17th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Prob too far for southland. OVC or SOCON?

kperk014
July 17th, 2012, 09:52 PM
We may have to travel a strange route like Jax State did when they moved up. Football in one conference and the other sports in another. Not preferred but you do what ya gotta do.

kperk014
July 17th, 2012, 10:11 PM
I like UNA a lot. They'll be my second favorite FCS team and if App moves up... they'll become my FCS team. Florence and the surrounding area is a hidden gem-- beautiful scenery, rich history, and a wealth of music.

I don't think the SoCon would take them yet... but, I hope down the line they end up there.

A lot of our brightest stars have passed away like WC Handy, Sam Phillips, Buddy Killen and part-timer Jerry Wexler but it's still a great musical community with yearly festivals that honor them along with the George "Goober" Lindsey and Helen Keller festivals. And if you like haunted places, a trip to 3614 Jackson Highway (Muscle Shoals Sound Studios) is the place to go. Ronnie Van Zant still holds court there in the old casket factory and you have to think there's some vibes left there by Mick, Keith and the Stones, Rod Stewart, Bob Seger, Bob Dylan, Joe Cocker, Cher, Cat Stevens among others.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z417/kperk014/20qnhqq.jpg

TTUEagles
July 17th, 2012, 10:48 PM
George "Goober" Lindsey: former QB for Florence State (now UNA)

I have a feeling that UNA will be in the OVC in a year or two... despite what they voted on last year...

Cocky
July 18th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Let them in the OVC.

darell1976
July 18th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I remember UNA when they were a DII powerhouse. Glad to see them moving up.

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2012, 07:25 AM
OVC probably makes most sense.

henfan
July 18th, 2012, 07:37 AM
A lot of our brightest stars have passed away like WC Handy, Sam Phillips, Buddy Killen and part-timer Jerry Wexler but it's still a great musical community...

You still have Patterson Hood & Mike Cooley, which is sure saying something!xsalutex

Redbirdz
July 18th, 2012, 11:04 AM
OVC not currently interested but maybe if Jacksonville State leaves.

clenz
July 18th, 2012, 12:19 PM
They could fit in at the edges of the Southland or MVFC footprints as well.no

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

kperk014
July 18th, 2012, 01:07 PM
You still have Patterson Hood & Mike Cooley, which is sure saying something!xsalutex

You got that right! Throw in Jimmy Buffett's right-hand man, Mac McAnally and the nearby Alabama Shakes, it's still a vibrant place.

Professor Chaos
July 18th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Doesn't the Big South make sense? Shouldn't they be chomping at the bit to add any school with a pulse with the prospect of the CAA and SOCON raiding their football membership?

kperk014
July 18th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Doesn't the Big South make sense? Shouldn't they be chomping at the bit to add any school with a pulse with the prospect of the CAA and SOCON raiding their football membership?

I doubt they would invite someone who would step in and immediately start pounding most of the current members.

superman7515
July 18th, 2012, 07:21 PM

I thought most of the Big South wanted out. Why add stability when everyone wants the ship to sink?

bisonwest
July 18th, 2012, 09:28 PM
no

Agree. Just a tad far for the Valley. They should be a good addition to any conference as long as they can raise the dollars.

dgtw
July 18th, 2012, 10:57 PM
The article said they had added two sports but did not say which ones. Their Wikipedia article and website still show them with six men's and six women's sports. So what did they add?

As a Florence native and the spouse of a Jax State grad, I'd love to see them in the OVC, but sadly, it would mean the loss of the DII title game.

kperk014
July 18th, 2012, 11:52 PM
The article said they had added two sports but did not say which ones. Their Wikipedia article and website still show them with six men's and six women's sports. So what did they add?

As a Florence native and the spouse of a Jax State grad, I'd love to see them in the OVC, but sadly, it would mean the loss of the DII title game.

UNA has added women's indoor track and women's outdoor track. Also Stewart Cink and his wife Lisa, donated $180,000 to the athletic program which is great since Stewart attended Georgia Tech. It would be great to see him win the British Open again!

http://timesdaily.com/stories/Cink-donation-helps-UNA-golf-program,192663

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 07:13 AM
The Summit and MVFC will take Eastern Illinois, which has no business being in the Kentucky/Tennessee/Alabama conference (OVC).

That makes room for UNA.

clenz
July 19th, 2012, 07:47 AM
EIU was in the MVFC and left

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 08:16 AM
EIU was in the MVFC and left

And Indiana St sucked for a million years but didn't leave. Now they're back.Indiana St and EIU are almost identical programs. Both in small cities about 70 miles apart. Similar facilities. Heck their stadiums are both one sided.

Absolutely no reason for EIU not to come back to a conference with WIU, SIU, IL St and IN St. Then a great partner in the Summit with WIU.

Too much sense, probably won't happen. MVC schools are scared of the Summit schools pulling even and then the Summit taking the football admin duties away from the MVC.

NDSU beats UNI. SDSU beats SIU. EIU beats IL St. WIU beats IN St. USD beats MO St. SUMMIT SWEEP! xnodx xnodx And YSU can bog off to the CAA or MAC.

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 08:29 AM
http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/una-vs-carson-newman-091128jpg-843a116efa7a2297_small.jpg

Wherever they end up, look out. This little guy is a monster recruiter

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 08:58 AM

What does that even mean? Seriously.

I've always wondered how it works. How do coaches land certain kids. Is it just a straight cash payout? Jobs for family? What is it?

Like Miles at IN St. How was it humanly possible to pull talent to a school that had such a history of losing and non-existent facilities? Why couldn't the former coach do the same thing?

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 09:59 AM
What does that even mean? Seriously.

I've always wondered how it works. How do coaches land certain kids. Is it just a straight cash payout? Jobs for family? What is it?

Like Miles at IN St. How was it humanly possible to pull talent to a school that had such a history of losing and non-existent facilities? Why couldn't the former coach do the same thing?

It means he was able to get blue chip athletes in the SEC, and now he is able to get players that should be playing at a much higher level. Do you really think all coaches are equal at recruiting unless they are cheating.

Redhawk2010
July 19th, 2012, 10:19 AM
And Indiana St sucked for a million years but didn't leave. Now they're back.Indiana St and EIU are almost identical programs. Both in small cities about 70 miles apart. Similar facilities. Heck their stadiums are both one sided.

There may not be much on the visitor's side, but there is seating on both sides at EIU. I don't really see EIU leaving the OVC.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 10:24 AM
It means he was able to get blue chip athletes in the SEC, and now he is able to get players that should be playing at a much higher level. Do you really think all coaches are equal at recruiting unless they are cheating.

Well????

That's what I'm asking. How is it possible for one coach to get a kid that all the previous coaches at the same school, with the same academic programs and the same facilities and overall tradition, couldn't get???

Assuming that no coaches break any NCAA recruiting rules, there is a very limited amount of things that you can offer a recruit. You can offer up to a full scholarship. You can try to sell the academic programs of the school. You can point out how the facilities and position coaches will help develop him into the best player he can be. And you can point out the tradition of the program.

There technically shouldn't be anything else. So....that said, if those really are the only things - where's the differentiation??

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 10:29 AM
There may not be much on the visitor's side, but there is seating on both sides at EIU. I don't really see EIU leaving the OVC.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6018/5909501331_e6274d3029_z.jpghttp://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/OI/OIZEYPWJXGXUQUT.20120124223112.jpg

Pretty close. And the "visitor seating" is a mile away from the field at EIU, behind the long jump/triplejump/pole vault runways.

Heck, both even had New Balance uniforms (*snicker*), until thankfully Miles has restored credibility to the IN St program and they have Nike now.

Technically SE MO St would be another OVC team to consider for the MVFC/Summit offer, as they'd match up with MO St in the MVFC. But that has much less to offer the Summit and in football travel partners aren't necessary. So EIU is the much better option there.

Neither EIU nor SEMO (nor SIUE for that matter) belong in the Kentucky/Tennessee/Alabama conference, geographically or culturally.

PantherRob82
July 19th, 2012, 10:31 AM
They could fit in at the edges of the Southland or MVFC footprints as well.

MVFC?!?!

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 10:36 AM
MVFC?!?!

Obviously not. He must've meant SoCon.

AmsterBison
July 19th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I'd like to see Jacksonville State and North Alabama in the same conference.

Redhawk2010
July 19th, 2012, 10:53 AM
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6018/5909501331_e6274d3029_z.jpghttp://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/OI/OIZEYPWJXGXUQUT.20120124223112.jpg

Heck, both even had New Balance uniforms (*snicker*), until thankfully Miles has restored credibility to the IN St program and they have Nike now.

Big Bad Bison have been relevant for how long? One year they win it all and they are on top of the world! Everybody should want to be like them!

Technically SE MO St would be another OVC team to consider for the MVFC/Summit offer, as they'd match up with MO St in the MVFC. But that has much less to offer the Summit and in football travel partners aren't necessary. So EIU is the much better option there.

Neither EIU nor SEMO (nor SIUE for that matter) belong in the Kentucky/Tennessee/Alabama conference, geographically or culturally.

Get a clue. Ohio Valley Conference. Do you know how far away SEMO is from the Ohio River? It would make even less sense for SEMO to join the Summit and they'd struggle to compete in the MVFC. Murray 2 hours away, UT-Martin 2.5 hours away, APSU 3 hours, Tennessee State 4 hours, Tech 5 hours, EKU 6 hours, Morehead state 6 hours, Jacksonville State 8 hours, EIU 4 hours, SIUE 2.5 hours.

Meanwhile SEMO would be looking at flights for much of the MVFC schedule and I don't even know about the Summit because I don't care!

SU_IT_able
July 19th, 2012, 11:18 AM
http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/una-vs-carson-newman-091128jpg-843a116efa7a2297_small.jpg

You do realize 'this little guy' is no longer at UNA? Tot Bowden moved to the University of Akron after last season. :)

UAalum72
July 19th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Well????

That's what I'm asking. How is it possible for one coach to get a kid that all the previous coaches at the same school, with the same academic programs and the same facilities and overall tradition, couldn't get???

Assuming that no coaches break any NCAA recruiting rules, there is a very limited amount of things that you can offer a recruit. You can offer up to a full scholarship. You can try to sell the academic programs of the school. You can point out how the facilities and position coaches will help develop him into the best player he can be. And you can point out the tradition of the program.

There technically shouldn't be anything else. So....that said, if those really are the only things - where's the differentiation??

Of course there's something else. Some coaches are good salesmen. Some aren't. Some genuinely care about the students. And some the students and their parents can see right thru as slimy, know-it-all blowhards. Do you know the type?

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Get a clue. Ohio Valley Conference. Do you know how far away SEMO is from the Ohio River? It would make even less sense for SEMO to join the Summit and they'd struggle to compete in the MVFC. Murray 2 hours away, UT-Martin 2.5 hours away, APSU 3 hours, Tennessee State 4 hours, Tech 5 hours, EKU 6 hours, Morehead state 6 hours, Jacksonville State 8 hours, EIU 4 hours, SIUE 2.5 hours.

Meanwhile SEMO would be looking at flights for much of the MVFC schedule and I don't even know about the Summit because I don't care!

That's fine.

EIU has no business in the Kentucky/Tennessee/Alabama conference though.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Of course there's something else. Some coaches are good salesmen. Some aren't. Some genuinely care about the students. And some the students and their parents can see right thru as slimy, know-it-all blowhards. Do you know the type?

Gonna have to do WAAAAAY better than that. Like, an actual explanation.

Stop just saying there's a legitimate difference. I have yet to hear one. In my mind, the coaches getting the top players are doing it illegally and have been since the beginning of college football.

BEAR
July 19th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I'd love to see them in the SLC but for my fellow SLC brethren, the trip to conway is far enough...xlolx

I remember UNA fans complaining about the drive to conway when we were in the Gulf South...and I can't blame them. As with most SLC schools as it was in the GSC, Conway is in a whole other state. xlolx. The drive for UNA fans to those Texas schools would be looooooooooooooooooong. Hopefully they can find a good conference that is regionally acceptable for their road games. Budget killer of course!

UAalum72
July 19th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Gonna have to do WAAAAAY better than that. Like, an actual explanation.

Stop just saying there's a legitimate difference. I have yet to hear one. In my mind, the coaches getting the top players are doing it illegally and have been since the beginning of college football.
Just like some people can sell a lot of cars, and another dealer with the same brand and resources can't sell as many. Salesmanship is a skill. If you don't understand that, you're hopeless.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Just like some people can sell a lot of cars, and another dealer with the same brand and resources can't sell as many. Salesmanship is a skill. If you don't understand that, you're hopeless.

No explanation it is.

I guess I'm right, for now.

You'll never convince me that Miles is doing 10000% better than Lou West simply because he's "a better salesman". What was he selling?!??! "Hey man, check out our non-facilities, non-fan support and non-tradition! Woo!!!"

UAalum72
July 19th, 2012, 01:05 PM
No explanation it is.

I guess I'm right, for now.

You'll never convince me that Miles is doing 10000% better than Lou West simply because he's "a better salesman". What was he selling?!??! "Hey man, check out our non-facilities, non-fan support and non-tradition! Woo!!!"
You're not right, you're hopeless, as I 100%-correctly said. Just like my example with cars, it's not always what you sell, but how you sell it.

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 01:13 PM
You do realize 'this little guy' is no longer at UNA? Tot Bowden moved to the University of Akron after last season. :)

Oh that's right. I read the article about it and everything. Thanks.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 01:28 PM
You're not right, you're hopeless, as I 100%-correctly said. Just like my example with cars, it's not always what you sell, but how you sell it.

Thanks for the non-explanation. That helps to explain nothing.

Redhawk2010
July 19th, 2012, 01:41 PM
That's fine.

EIU has no business in the Kentucky/Tennessee/Alabama conference though.

Yes, it's true there are a lot of Kentucky and Tennessee schools in the conference. But maybe it's time to realize there are more teams in the OVC that are located in Illinois than there are OVC teams in Alabama! LOL.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Yes, it's true there are a lot of Kentucky and Tennessee schools in the conference. But maybe it's time to realize there are more teams in the OVC that are located in Illinois than there are OVC teams in Alabama! LOL.

8 of the 12 teams in the OVC are from Kentucky or Tennessee. Jacksonville state is in Alabama. SIUE is basically in St Louis and SEMO is almost in Kentucky.

All those schools make perfect sense for that conference.

EIU is 3-4 hours away from WIU, IUPUI, IPFW and Chicago St if they would be added for a 5th eastern division school should Oakland leave (the only school the Horizon would take from the Summit). And 1-3 hours away from IL St, IN St and SIU in the MVFC.

It's too easy. OVC picks up UNA to go with Jax St and stay at 12. Summit gets EIU to go with WIU and MVFC gives EIU a spot with the idea that YSU will leave in the future.

ysubigred
July 19th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Back in 1994 I know D II UNA was tough!! YSU won the 1-AA National Championship that year. SFA (pricks screwed up a perfect season the 1st game) and UNA (94 D-II NC) was our toughest tests besides EKU in the playoffs.

1994 (14-0-1) • Jim Tressel
National Champions
9/1 Stephen F. Austin T, 10-10
9/10 at Delaware State W, 26-3
9/17 Eastern Kentucky W, 13-6
9/24 Slippery Rock W, 52-17
10/1 McNeese State W, 28-8
10/8 North Alabama+ W, 17-14
10/15 Kent W, 28-14
10/29 Akron W, 41-7
11/5 at SUNY-Buffalo W, 27-3
11/12 at Massachusetts W, 28-9
11/19 at Indiana State W, 14-3
11/25 Alcorn State% (ESPN) W, 63-20
12/3 Eastern Kentucky% W, 18-15
12/10 Montana% W, 28-9
12/17 vs. Boise State% (CBS) W, 28-14 (I-AA National Championship)
%NCAA Division I-AA Playoff Game

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 03:09 PM
When's the last time you played and beat both Kent and Akron in the same season?

Boy those days are long gone...which is a shame.

ysubigred
July 19th, 2012, 03:24 PM
When's the last time you played and beat both Kent and Akron in the same season?

Boy those days are long gone...which is a shame.

Akron quit playing us after the 94 beat down, Kent kept playing us for a few more years. YSU maybe back on the upswing this year. We've got a young team still with a good upgrade in coaching from last year.

UAalum72
July 19th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the non-explanation. That helps to explain nothing.
There is one thing every coach can sell that no other coach can.

Himself.

Whether as more likeable, as disciplinarian, as a man with vision, the ability to convince the recruit that HE will be the man to lead (on the field) the team that the coach will lead (from the sidelines) to great things .

Not only is that correct, YOU know there's objective proof that it's correct, because when coaches leave for better jobs or get fired, many of their recruits start transferring, because they chose their college not because of the school but because of the coach.

clenz
July 19th, 2012, 06:02 PM

Absolutely no reason for EIU not to come back to a conference with WIU, SIU, IL St and IN St. Then a great partner in the Summit with WIU.

Too much sense, probably won't happen. MVC schools are scared of the Summit schools pulling even and then the Summit taking the football admin duties away from the MVC.

NDSU beats UNI. SDSU beats SIU. EIU beats IL St. WIU beats IN St. USD beats MO St. SUMMIT SWEEP! xnodx xnodx And YSU can bog off to the CAA or MAC.

Keep thinking this....

If the summit wanted football they'd already have it in place.....They'd have to buy out every single MVFC school for that to happen - and it won't.

kperk014
July 19th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Back in 1994 I know D II UNA was tough!! YSU won the 1-AA National Championship that year. SFA (pricks screwed up a perfect season the 1st game) and UNA (94 D-II NC) was our toughest tests besides EKU in the playoffs.

1994 (14-0-1) • Jim Tressel
National Champions
9/1 Stephen F. Austin T, 10-10
9/10 at Delaware State W, 26-3
9/17 Eastern Kentucky W, 13-6
9/24 Slippery Rock W, 52-17
10/1 McNeese State W, 28-8
10/8 North Alabama+ W, 17-14
10/15 Kent W, 28-14
10/29 Akron W, 41-7
11/5 at SUNY-Buffalo W, 27-3
11/12 at Massachusetts W, 28-9
11/19 at Indiana State W, 14-3
11/25 Alcorn State% (ESPN) W, 63-20
12/3 Eastern Kentucky% W, 18-15
12/10 Montana% W, 28-9
12/17 vs. Boise State% (CBS) W, 28-14 (I-AA National Championship)
%NCAA Division I-AA Playoff Game

I listened to that game on the radio. Wish I could have seen it live. Sounded like a hard-fought, hard-hitting game. Some don't agree with me but I think that loss was more important to show how great that UNA team was than the 41-0 record and 3 National Championships were. It's really great to have the man (Bobby Wallace) who built that team back at home and he is HUNGRY! And if I'm not mistaken, YSU was in the second year of a back-to-back National Championship run.

clenz
July 19th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I listened to that game on the radio. Wish I could have seen it live. Sounded like a hard-fought, hard-hitting game. Some don't agree with me but I think that loss was more important to show how great that UNA team was than the 41-0 record and 3 National Championships were. It's really great to have the man (Bobby Wallace) who built that team back at home and he is HUNGRY! And if I'm not mistaken, YSU was in the second year of a back-to-back National Championship*** run.

FIFY

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Akron quit playing us after the 94 beat down, Kent kept playing us for a few more years. YSU maybe back on the upswing this year. We've got a young team still with a good upgrade in coaching from last year.

I didn't mean on the field. Heck, since 94 in an average year YSU would probably still be competitive with either of them.

I mean as programs, they surpassed YSU moving to the I-A level. Akron in particular has some really nice facilities now.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 08:02 PM
There is one thing every coach can sell that no other coach can.

Himself.

Whether as more likeable, as disciplinarian, as a man with vision, the ability to convince the recruit that HE will be the man to lead (on the field) the team that the coach will lead (from the sidelines) to great things .

Not only is that correct, YOU know there's objective proof that it's correct, because when coaches leave for better jobs or get fired, many of their recruits start transferring, because they chose their college not because of the school but because of the coach.

Now see, that was a perfectly reasonable, very lucid response.

Why didn't you just post that the first time?

I get the feel that at losing schools, coaches are hired based on their will to do the opposite of whatever the former guy was doing. For example the U of MN. Brewster was big talk, big car salesman - trying to be the opposite of Mason. Now Kill comes in and has tried to be the opposite of Brewster.

Neither has won like Mason won, of course.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I still don't fully buy though, at least in the case of Indiana State.

I find it REALLY hard to believe that Miles sold the current all-conference talent on Terre Haute because of himself. Why couldn't Lou West do the same thing?

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Keep thinking this....

If the summit wanted football they'd already have it in place.....They'd have to buy out every single MVFC school for that to happen - and it won't.

No. It'd be the same thing as the CAA taking the football conference admin duties away from the A10.

UAalum72
July 19th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Now see, that was a perfectly reasonable, very lucid response.

Why didn't you just post that the first time?
Because everybody knows that.

I didn't think I'd have to spell it out like to a ten-year-old.

clenz
July 19th, 2012, 08:24 PM
No. It'd be the same thing as the CAA taking the football conference admin duties away from the A10.

Not going to happen. If the Summit wanted football they'd have it by now.....and they'll have to pay to get any teams from the MVFC

kperk014
July 19th, 2012, 08:49 PM
FIFY

???

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Not going to happen. If the Summit wanted football they'd have it by now.....and they'll have to pay to get any teams from the MVFC

The CAA didn't pay UMass to stay in the conference.

MVC teams wouldn't have enough to form their own conference.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Because everybody knows that.

I didn't think I'd have to spell it out like to a ten-year-old.

Bulls___.

I challenged your non-responses and you had to actually take time to think up a decent response.

clenz
July 19th, 2012, 09:33 PM

The CAA didn't pay UMass to stay in the conference.

MVC teams wouldn't have enough to form their own conference.No.....The MVFC isn't giving up duties...You want a football conference you'll have to start your own.....which means buying the MVFC out.

I don't know what part of that you don't get.

ysubigred
July 20th, 2012, 06:44 AM
I listened to that game on the radio. Wish I could have seen it live. Sounded like a hard-fought, hard-hitting game. Some don't agree with me but I think that loss was more important to show how great that UNA team was than the 41-0 record and 3 National Championships were. It's really great to have the man (Bobby Wallace) who built that team back at home and he is HUNGRY! And if I'm not mistaken, YSU was in the second year of a back-to-back National Championship run.

Actually, YSU was winning their 3 NC in 4 year and yes two in a row in 94. If old Jeff Wilkins could of hit his 39 yarder we would have been 4 for 4 like UNA xbawlingx

ysubigred
July 20th, 2012, 06:54 AM
I didn't mean on the field. Heck, since 94 in an average year YSU would probably still be competitive with either of them.

I mean as programs, they surpassed YSU moving to the I-A level. Akron in particular has some really nice facilities now.

The old wise tale has it that Akron and Kent kept YSU from moving to the MAC xconfusedx YSU's still better than Kent facilities wise, Akron about equal since the new indoor facility was completed on campus at YSU. We have better home attendance than both without local rivalries. Bottom line.. I think the real truth to YSU not moving to 1A with UA and KSU was $$$ in the University as a whole.

MplsBison
July 20th, 2012, 07:20 AM
No.....The MVFC isn't giving up duties...You want a football conference you'll have to start your own.....which means buying the MVFC out.

I don't know what part of that you don't get.

I don't know why this is so hard for you.

What I'm saying is that if the Summit ever gets football it will be because the MVC doesn't want the hassle anymore and gives it up, same as the A10 did (which is what I've been saying...). The Summit isn't starting an independent football conferences with only 5 teams and they ain't buying anyone out. If MVC schools didn't like it, they can leave out to a different conference - but best bet is they'd have no choice but to join up.

MplsBison
July 20th, 2012, 07:22 AM
The old wise tale has it that Akron and Kent kept YSU from moving to the MAC xconfusedx YSU's still better than Kent facilities wise, Akron about equal since the new indoor facility was completed on campus at YSU. We have better home attendance than both without local rivalries. Bottom line.. I think the real truth to YSU not moving to 1A with UA and KSU was $$$ in the University as a whole.

YSU can't touch this, sorry:

http://perfectperspectivesaerial.com/Akron_University_Project_276_800x600.jpg

ysubigred
July 20th, 2012, 07:49 AM
YSU can't touch this, sorry:

http://perfectperspectivesaerial.com/Akron_University_Project_276_800x600.jpg

UA can't touch this da da da da!!

http://www.ysusports.com/information/facilities/images/WATTS/watts-night.jpg

And by the way this is actually nicer. YSU just need's to complete the east side to match the west side xsalutex Have you ever been to both in person?

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4870875787821621&pid=1.5

http://www.penguinssoccercamps.com/images/stambaugh%20stadium.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3036/2758524946_37cff8fe6a_z.jpg?zz=1

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4710372882843301&pid=1.5

MplsBison
July 20th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Actually, Akron has the exact same facility as the WATTS. They're so identical, I wouldn't be surprised if WATTS just took the same design from Akron.

And from the pictures, Akron's stadium is clearly, clearly nicer and it's brand new to boot. Don't be such a homer, your grandmother knows theirs is better. YSU's is good, no doubt. Even with the shrimpy vistor's side.

ysubigred
July 20th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Actually, Akron has the exact same facility as the WATTS. They're so identical, I wouldn't be surprised if WATTS just took the same design from Akron.

And from the pictures, Akron's stadium is clearly, clearly nicer and it's brand new to boot. Don't be such a homer, your grandmother knows theirs is better. YSU's is good, no doubt. Even with the shrimpy vistor's side.

Agree that the Watts is a carbon copy of Akron's IDF the Watts is just a bit more updated and newer. Clearly, clearly a better photo.. Again, have you ever been to both in person? I didn't think so Akron homer xlolx

MplsBison
July 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM
YSU has a nice stadium. Not denying that, no one is.

Akron's is better. Only YSU fans disagree.

BluBengal07
July 20th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Those are both great looking stadium. but I believe YSU has the best indoor facility and approach in FCS.

ysubigred
July 20th, 2012, 08:27 AM
YSU has a nice stadium. Not denying that, no one is.

Akron's is better. Only YSU fans disagree.

Start a poll!? Again!! I originally said "ABOUT" equal. Akron spent a Shat load of $$ on the football stadium lately due to recent success and the NCAA looking at 1 FCS and 1 FBS realignments. I never said YSU was better I said adding the state of the art IDF made YSU about equal. "IF" (probablly never) YSU moves to 1FBS then the east side of the Ice Castle will be completed to match the West side and then I'll be saying YSU is better than Akron.

Redhawk2010
July 20th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Start a poll!? Again!! I originally said "ABOUT" equal. Akron spent a Shat load of $$ on the football stadium lately due to recent success and the NCAA looking at 1 FCS and 1 FBS realignments. I never said YSU was better I said adding the state of the art IDF made YSU about equal. "IF" (probablly never) YSU moves to 1FBS then the east side of the Ice Castle will be completed to match the West side and then I'll be saying YSU is better than Akron.

I would just give it up. You can't win against MplsBison. He doesn't have the slightest clue about a lot of things, but he's always right!

Who really cares what facility is nice, nicer, and nicest? Both schools have excellent facilities it appears. The biggest key is what gets done within those facilities..

ysubigred
July 20th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I would just give it up. You can't win against MplsBison. He doesn't have the slightest clue about a lot of things, but he's always right!

Who really cares what facility is nice, nicer, and nicest? Both schools have excellent facilities it appears. The biggest key is what gets done within those facilities..

xsalutexReppies comming your way xsmileyclapx Just don't mess with this guy xshakefistx

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bd/YoungstownStatePenguins.png/75px-YoungstownStatePenguins.png

kperk014
July 20th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Actually, YSU was winning their 3 NC in 4 year and yes two in a row in 94. If old Jeff Wilkins could of hit his 39 yarder we would have been 4 for 4 like UNA xbawlingx

Actually we only won 3 in a row. In '92 with a team full of freshman, we lost to Jax State in the playoffs 14-12 because our field goal kicker suddenly got double vision. lol Jax State went on and won it all. That was a pretty remarkable era for football in Alabama. Jax State and Alabama won NCs in '92. UNA won in '93 and Auburn had a perfect record. And then UNA won again in '94 and '95. Five NCs in 4 years is pretty good. And if you want to make the streak a little more impressive, UNA won the basketball National Championship in '91 so that would make 6 in five years.

Professor Chaos
July 20th, 2012, 04:01 PM
xsalutexReppies comming your way xsmileyclapx Just don't mess with this guy xshakefistx

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bd/YoungstownStatePenguins.png/75px-YoungstownStatePenguins.png
It's too damn hot for a penguin to just be walking around here.... especially in a hat and scarf.

CALL THE ZOO!!!