PDA

View Full Version : LEHIGH FANS - QUESTIONS FOR YOU

MUHAWKS
July 17th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I feel like a broken record coming on here every pre-season talking up my Monmouth Hawks...But that is what it is all about.. anyway, I know about Spadola but how you guys think you are this year? Strengths/weaknesses? Is anyone in the Lehigh community even remotely thinking Monmouth pulls the upset week 1? Lots of talented guys back for us including TE, QB, top 3 WR, top 2 RB's and some key players on defense.. O line is a question mark and defense has been lacking last couple years, but offense legitimately can be dangerous. I know Lehigh thinks about Patriot titles and playoffs but is there any second thought on us this yr?? Honest opinion appreciated of how your squad is shaping up, any weakness etc etc.. Goodman is a sick place to watch a game and the probable 85 degree heat notwithstanding, I cannot wait to go back there. Thanks for any insight you guys can be..

van
July 17th, 2012, 05:43 PM
First game of the year, you never know.

I expect our defense to be stout. Very experienced secondary. Replacing all 4 LBs but 3 of the 4 new guys all got a lot of playing time last year and should handle themselves well. Graduated 3 of the 6 DL that platoon so not sure of depth there but first 3 are all gamers.

On offense, good experience, talent and depth at RB, TE, FB and WR. QB graduated and the presumed replacement does have game experience but is a question mark. Replacing 3 new O linemen, so that is a question mark, although there are some talented guys ready to step in.

Kickers returning, although that was not a strength last year.

One kick returner has experience, saw film on some talented freshman that might help here.

I'm expecting a W on Sept 1, no disrespect to you Hawks. And Goodman has great game day atmosphere, ample parking, so hoping a lot of Monmouth fans come out and enjoy.

Southsider
July 17th, 2012, 05:46 PM
MUHAWKS, I am far from the expert, but I think the LU D will be very stout! The O,despite plenty of weapons, will need a game or two to jell. New QB Colvin needs to settle in. I can see a hard fought, grind it out 10 pt LU win. I just can't see a repeat of the CCU outcome a few years back. We'll see.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 17th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I was at the game last year and the two teams were on completely different levels. Lehigh had a ton more team speed than Monmouth which I don't think can be made up in a year. Remember Spadola torching Gumbs along the sidelines?

Many people forget that not everyone was sold on Lehigh last year. There were a lot of questions about their Oline, RB situation and secondary heading into the 2011 season. Heck, some folks even questioned how good Lum really was. Obviously, a lot of those questions were answered against MU last year.

Bogus Megapardus
July 17th, 2012, 07:38 PM
It seems to me that there are Mountain Hawks and then there are molehill Hawks. Monmouth U. has a decidedly uphill battle here. Lehigh could line up its BBW, pasture-fed cheerleaders and still take this game by halftime. You're not going to win at Goodman, Snooki.

RichH2
July 17th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Ah, Bogie our cheerleaders probably better than your DL but they couldn't start for us. Back to MU O not likely to start out scoring a lot but it will score. D will be good. Sold at db and lb. Only issue is depth on DL. Colvin a bit of an unknown bit I think he will be effevtive.

MUHAWKS
July 17th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Yeah I remember Spadola distancing himself from Gumbs for sure..Thing is Gumbs goes and runs 4.4 forty for NFL watches so IMO Spadola is a freak, I love him as a player. I am a fan. I hear you on the general population not being sold on lehigh.. Lets also remember MU had an average year but got better and has everyone back on Offense. I understand Lehigh was on a different level really cannot argue with that.. Thats what you would expect from a 1-loss (easily could be no loss) Team who went playoffs and a middle of the pack NEC team.. What I am trying to figure out is maybe is lehigh a 8-3 type and MU the cream of the crop in NEC..In that case it could be a horse race although frankly I dont think anyone can contain Spadola... Bogus megawhatever, I used to think you were just a dick but i have grown to like and appreciate your wit..Truly..Pasture fed cheerleaders is rich... Let's see what happens, I am really looking forward to Goodman, I played there once and have seen 3 games there.. IMO MU has 3 NFL players on the field possibly 4.

Bogus Megapardus
July 17th, 2012, 08:26 PM
This is the opener and I expect Lehigh will put in a vanilla offense and try to get the timing down. The Lehigh defense will have plenty enough to throw them off balance and keep things well in hand.

Then you have Central Connecticut State - and then Princeton - so by the time that you face Liberty down in Virginia (at 3-0), Colvin will have developed a good deal of confidence.

Bogus Megapardus
July 17th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Bogus megawhatever, I used to think you were just a dick but i have grown to like and appreciate your wit.

Nah, you had it right the first time. I'm just a dick.

Of course, in the immortal words of Team America - World Police, there are dicks, and then there are puss . . . geez, this is a family site, isn't it?

RichH2
July 17th, 2012, 10:59 PM
The fame of the Bogus spreads. An acquired taste perhaps? A wit that relieves the unending chest thumping with scalpel like good natured malevolence. Still in preseason mode haven't got the edge yet.Not til mid November.

Bogus Megapardus
July 17th, 2012, 11:03 PM
The fame of the Bogus spreads. An acquired taste perhaps? A wit that relieves the unending chest thumping with scalpel like good natured malevolence. Still in preseason mode haven't got the edge yet.Not til mid November.

At least the Monmouth U. kid is attempting to study the fine art of the backhanded compliment. I'll give him credit for that.

Go...gate
July 17th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Looking like the Engineers and everybody else in the PL this fall.

RichH2
July 18th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Nice try Gate. PL a qb driven league. Gate and Pards have best returning qbs.

LUHawker
July 18th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Nice try Gate. PL a qb driven league. Gate and Pards have best returning qbs.

Generally I agree with you that PL is a QB-driven league. However, that ignores all those years that Colgate succeeded by running the ball very effectively.

I do appreciate how you are trying to get the Pards' hopes up. Colgate has no D and even without the horses Biddle isn't switching to a pass-first philosophy.

I think PL as a whole will look underwhelming until mid-season, but still think you have to give Lehigh the advantage to win it. I have been unimpressed with Colvin thus far, but I also think Cecchini will play to his strengths.

As usual, GTown getting no love, but it seems like last year was not a fluke.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 18th, 2012, 10:12 AM

+1. And we play them at MSF this year. Furthermore, take another look at Bucknell's roster. They are getting better in leaps and bounds.

van
July 18th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Generally I agree with you that PL is a QB-driven league. However, that ignores all those years that Colgate succeeded by running the ball very effectively.

I do appreciate how you are trying to get the Pards' hopes up. Colgate has no D and even without the horses Biddle isn't switching to a pass-first philosophy.

I think PL as a whole will look underwhelming until mid-season, but still think you have to give Lehigh the advantage to win it. I have been unimpressed with Colvin thus far, but I also think Cecchini will play to his strengths.

Don't underestimate the Crossers, Gilmore always comes up with something!

RichH2
July 18th, 2012, 10:47 AM
OK, we've spread the wealth to all PL. LU will not walk over PL. Agree all have improved, even Rams. If Colvin is as good as I think he can be LU still wins a very tight race. Dont think we will go undefeated in PL. We will not lose OOC.

Fordham
July 18th, 2012, 10:51 AM
We don't matter for the title, though, Rich.

I think it's going to be tough for Lehigh to win it again. I actually have that HC - Gtown season-ender circled on my calendar as the likely title decider (that said, I haven't been right in the last few years of picking the PL, so it'll probably be Bucknell [Susan's 3rd year, right?])

carney2
July 18th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Lehigh's schedule consists of an endless parade of middle school JV teams. Your MUHawks appear to be just another cupcake to be digested.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 18th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Don't underestimate the Crossers, Gilmore always comes up with something!

Holy Cross scares me the most as well. Georgetown will be solid but Lehigh has really had the Hoya's number.

I'm not sure if people realize that Lehigh hasn't lost to Bucknell since 1997 and is 10-0 against Georgetown.

Bogus Megapardus
July 18th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I doubt that any team - Lehigh or otherwise - will sweep the PL.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 18th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I doubt that any team - Lehigh or otherwise - will sweep the PL.

I agree. The odds of Lehigh going 3 straight years without a league loss is very low. Thankfully, I think the league has a pretty good shot at an at large bid this year.

With that said, LU needs to get past Monmouth first....

RichH2
July 18th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Hoyas are a solid team, no doubt , but if you saw last yrs game they do not have depth or size to beat LU. HC will be solid , as usual and one of these yrs will get over the hump to have an outstanding team. Not this year tho. Face it eery team in July is better and may even be true for PL teams. Bison are darn close but they are still too small to compete for an entire game. Susan is building a very good squad.As with all runs, they end. LU's will. Unlike the last few times I doubt we will fall as far as we did .

RichH2
July 18th, 2012, 12:09 PM
What the heck is going on we are all much too agreeable.xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
July 18th, 2012, 12:11 PM
My vote still goes to Bucknell with the breakout year. They were closer than they seemed last year.

Bogus Megapardus
July 18th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Hoyas are a solid team, no doubt , but if you saw last yrs game they do not have depth or size to beat LU. HC will be solid , as usual and one of these yrs will get over the hump to have an outstanding team. Not this year tho. Face it eery team in July is better and may even be true for PL teams. Bison are darn close but they are still too small to compete for an entire game. Susan is building a very good squad.As with all runs, they end. LU's will. Unlike the last few times I doubt we will fall as far as we did .

Remember, Kelly lost his OC and brought in Vinny Marino from Columbia. The previous OC, Patenaude (or however you spell it) certainly had our number. I have to wonder if the Hoyas' new-era Fielding Yost scheme will carry over to this season.

Bogus Megapardus
July 18th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I agree. The odds of Lehigh going 3 straight years without a league loss is very low. Thankfully, I think the league has a pretty good shot at an at large bid this year.

Getting past Monmouth U., regardless of the score, really isn't going to be a predictor of success in the Patriot. There are too many variables, too many good coaches like Gilmore, Tavani and Biddle, and Lehigh now has a huge target on its back, if it didn't already before.

Lehigh's last three games - at Holy Cross, Colgate, at Lafayette - is where the proof will lie. I just can't see Lehigh coming through that stretch unscathed.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 18th, 2012, 12:45 PM
A trip down memory lane...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?91487-MONMOUTH-WILL-BEAT-LEHIGH!!!&highlight=lehigh+monmouth

RichH2
July 18th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Cool, Owl. Glad someone can emember back that far. Keeping looking at sked. First 3 knid of easy ( i hope) , last 3 tough

carney2
July 18th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I think the league has a pretty good shot at an at large bid this year.

I'm guessing this is decidedly a minority opinion. My crystal ball says that the Patriot League is pretty mediocre from top to bottom. The only thing that will keep the Squawks in the national spotlight is that incredible parade of cupcakes they've scheduled.

DFW HOYA
July 18th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Remember, Kelly lost his OC and brought in Vinny Marino from Columbia. The previous OC, Patenaude (or however you spell it) certainly had our number.

Lafayette lost its last two games to Georgetown by a combined five points. I'm not sure Patenaude had Lafayette's number in that Georgetown averaged a reasonable 21 points per game in 2010 and 2011 versus a mere seven points a game from 2004 through 2009. The 2010 game at Fisher was one where the Leopards had 509 yards total offense but only 24 points and lost late.

Elliot Uzelac and Jim Miceli struggled to field teams offensively in the 2000s and in most cases, getting two touchdowns at any point of the game was enough to beat Georgetown. In fact, from 2004-09, teams scoring 14 or more points vs. Georgetown were a combined 51-4 (.927); two of of the four GU wins when allowing 14 or more were to Marist, the other two were to Bucknell.

In 44 games from 2004-09 where the Hoyas allowed more than 21 points, opponents were 44-0.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 18th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I'm guessing this is decidedly a minority opinion. My crystal ball says that the Patriot League is pretty mediocre from top to bottom. The only thing that will keep the Squawks in the national spotlight is that incredible parade of cupcakes they've scheduled.

Lehigh and HC are both in at 9-2. HC might have a shot at 8-3, I doubt Lehigh would.

Bogus Megapardus
July 18th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Lafayette lost its last two games to Georgetown by a combined five points. I'm not sure Patenaude had Lafayette's number in that Georgetown averaged a reasonable 21 points per game in 2010 and 2011 versus a mere seven points a game from 2004 through 2009. The 2010 game at Fisher was one where the Leopards had 509 yards total offense but only 24 points and lost late.

Elliot Uzelac and Jim Miceli struggled to field teams offensively in the 2000s and in most cases, getting two touchdowns at any point of the game was enough to beat Georgetown. In fact, from 2004-09, teams scoring 14 or more points vs. Georgetown were a combined 51-4 (.927); two of of the four GU wins when allowing 14 or more were to Marist, the other two were to Bucknell.

In 44 games from 2004-09 where the Hoyas allowed more than 21 points, opponents were 44-0.

I was at the 2010 game (I really didn't get to see much of the 2011 game xlolx) but certainly in 2010 the Pards were out-coached by the Hoya offense - it's as simple as that. We had no answer to the hurry-up scheme. Our defense was confused and (eventually) exhausted which, I'm sure, was part of the plan.

Tavani is quite familiar with Marino's Columbia offenses. Marino spreads the field well, takes full advantage of matchups and gets receivers open. His run game is fairly standard, from what I recall. It remains to be seen, come late October, what kinds of offensive schemes Marino develops for Georgetown and whether he will attempt to carry over the "hurry-up" successes with the Pards. I think that it will be a factor that the Lafayette-Georgetown game will be played much later in the season than has been typical as of late.

Edit - Way to hijack a Monmouth U. thread, fellers. It makes a PL guy proud.

RichH2
July 18th, 2012, 03:23 PM
MU , Oh forgot about them. PL can be a 2 bid. LU 8-3 and anyone else champ or 2 9-2 teams.

carney2
July 18th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Lehigh and HC are both in at 9-2. HC might have a shot at 8-3, I doubt Lehigh would.

To go 9-2 Holy Cross would have to beat two of the following 4
New Hampshire
Brown
Harvard
Lehigh

AND beat everyone else on their schedule. The 'saders may be the best of the rest at what passes for football in the 2012 Patriot League, but that just ain't gonna happen. Think 6-5 with, maybe, just maybe, a stretch to 7-4.

Bogus Megapardus
July 18th, 2012, 03:43 PM
To go 9-2 Holy Cross would have to beat two of the following 4
New Hampshire
Brown
Harvard
Lehigh

AND beat everyone else on their schedule. The 'saders may be the best of the rest at what passes for football in the 2012 Patriot League, but that just ain't gonna happen. Think 6-5 with, maybe, just maybe, a stretch to 7-4.

I hate it when carney2 obfuscates a perfectly decent hijack with sound facts, irrefutable data and logical reasoning.

RichH2
July 18th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Its early, he hasn,t had enuf to drink. Clarity, logic Bah Humbug.

Bogus Megapardus
July 18th, 2012, 03:49 PM

A "Patriot League Team Most Likely to Beat Lehigh in 2012" poll might be in order once the season get closer. A concern with the unjustifiable inflation Lehigh's already-overblown ego will prevent me, personally, from posting that poll, however.

Someone else will have to do it.

Sader87
July 18th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I see the Saders going 11-0...10-1 if everything breaks wrong.

carney2
July 18th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Its early, he hasn,t had enuf to drink. Clarity, logic Bah Humbug.

Sucking on a bourbon as I speak. The drinking lamp was lit early this year in Easton. Check the "10 Questions for 2012" thread on the Lafayette site to see why:

http://lafayettesports.myfreeforum.org/about2044.html

On the plus side, 2013 looks a lot better, assuming of course that the administration doesn't do any more rug tugging.

carney2
July 18th, 2012, 04:22 PM
And, to absolutely tick everyone off, here is how the season will play out for the Patsies:

Bucknell = 3-8
Colgate = 4-7
Fordham = 4-7
Georgetown = 6-5
Holy Cross = 6-5
Lafayette = 5-6
Lehigh = 9-2, and may I have another cupcake, please.

If this is a two bid league the NCAA is absolutely giving these playoff berths away.

Sader87
July 18th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I'm thinking Orange or Sugar Bowl actually...Peach or Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl if we trip up against Wagner.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 18th, 2012, 04:40 PM
HC will be there all year imo. They can beat UNH at Fitton.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 18th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Lehigh's schedule is not as easy as u think Carney. Their 4 toughest games as of now, Liberty, GTown, HC and Lafayette are all on the road. Liberty at night will be and excellent test for an OOC game. With that said, the other 7 should be wins, with a couple being blowouts.

I dont expect Lehigh to win the league but i will be dissapointed if they dont make the playoffs. This team still has a lot of talent and experience.

There's alot of guys, Spadola, Barket, Colvin, Chagani, Andrews, Boyko, O'Brian, Divers, who have played a big role the last two years to help turn things around. Plus Coen really did a great job recruiting in this years sr/jr classes.

Next year could be a bit rough, especially if Cecchini leaves. His return was the best thing that happened in the offseason imo.

Sent from a phone...

RichH2
July 18th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Please, please no talk of Dave leaving. We were damn lucky to keep him this yr. I would not object to doubling his pay.

carney2
July 18th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Lehigh's schedule is not as easy as u think Carney.

No, it's even easier. How many cupcakes can one ChickenSquawk eat?!!

MUHAWKS
July 18th, 2012, 06:23 PM
well i feel good for giving you guys something to talk about... But don't sleep on Monmouth in 2012..

RichH2
July 18th, 2012, 06:48 PM
No disrespect MU, seems we always do this. Heck we do it to ourselves. LFN has a good write up on MU coming into srason. We cant sleep on anyome we're not that good yet, well maybe on Pards.

Engineer86
July 18th, 2012, 06:52 PM
No, it's even easier. How many cupcakes can one ChickenSquawk eat?!!

We always like to end the season with a giant cupcake. I just wish we would schedule more CAA teams before we get to that cupcake.

LUHawker
July 18th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Where is all of this confidence and love for HC coming from? I admit mostly ignorance as to what they have coming into the year, but I thought they lost their QB to graduation among others and didn't have many standouts. Little help, please.

Bogus Megapardus
July 18th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Where is all of this confidence and love for HC coming from? I admit mostly ignorance as to what they have coming into the year, but I thought they lost their QB to graduation among others and didn't have many standouts. Little help, please.

When is HC not a concern under Gilmore? The Crossers will be ready to play - you can count on that. They had some great recruits a year ago who now will be sophomores. There's a ton of talent in Woo.

As for Monmouth U., I'm thinking that Albany, Central Connecticut, Bobby Mo and Bryant will be the top NEC dogs. Throw in Duquesne as well. I can't really envision the Molehill Hawks doing much damage.

Bogus Megapardus
July 18th, 2012, 07:20 PM
We always like to end the season with a giant cupcake. I just wish we would schedule more CAA teams before we get to that cupcake.

You've got Holy Cross and Colgate leading right into the finale with Lafayette. That's plenty to get you prepped.

carney2
July 18th, 2012, 07:34 PM
well i feel good for giving you guys something to talk about... But don't sleep on Monmouth in 2012..

Fall asleep with the first cupcake in your mouth? Won't happen.

RichH2
July 18th, 2012, 08:59 PM
HC has TG. He will get tnem ready. 7-4, 6-5. Altho C2 is right that most will wind up near .500.

Bogus Megapardus
July 18th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Fall asleep with the first cupcake in your mouth? Won't happen.

I just don't want the Pards to be the icing on the cupcake.

ngineer
July 18th, 2012, 10:34 PM
All things being equal, i.e.no serious injuries, Lehigh should have a very good year. There is a lot of skill returning and I think the defense could be better than last years. The LBs looked very quick in the spring game. Colvin will need some time to get acclimated as the 'field general' but he has more physical tools than did Lum. The question will be his ability to read the defenses and execute his mechanics. Bialkowski appears to be a more natural or 'fluid' passer, so should Colvin stumble there is decent depth at QB. While kicking game has experience, last year's was mediocre and needs to improve. Divers accurate up to 35 yards, and while Peery has longer leg, too erratic. Possible competition in August from freshmen. Opening games can be a crap shoot as sometimes teams just start off not really 'ready', but then follow up with good seasons. Based on last year, I would expect a solid Lehigh win. Monmouth has some studs, but overall depth tilts to Lehigh

Lehigh Football Nation
July 18th, 2012, 11:00 PM
When is HC not a concern under Gilmore? The Crossers will be ready to play - you can count on that. They had some great recruits a year ago who now will be sophomores. There's a ton of talent in Woo.

For the record, I am a big Gilmore fan. But those back-to-back 6-5 records with an 0-4 record against Lehigh and Georgetown stick out an awful lot.

RichH2
July 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM
What a Surprise team? Well we've heaped love on everyone. , which squad will step up?I think it will be Gate. even with their lack of a defense and a OL that rivals Lafayette's for immobility. . Qb is very good if a bit undisciplined. Key is can Biddle get a D? Q to Gate fans, it seems Biddle not as ______________ as he was some yrs back. The program has a bunch of very good players but seems out of sync, at least to an outsider

carney2
July 23rd, 2012, 08:08 AM
HC has TG. He will get tnem ready. 7-4, 6-5. Altho C2 is right that most will wind up near .500.

Yes. The Crossers may - and the operative word is may - be the best of the rest in a VERY mediocre Patriot League, but that does not make them a good team. 6-5 is probable. 7-4 is possible. Beyond that you are into Daydream City. Contrary to one opinion on this board, the Patriot League is not a two bid League, even with the watered down playoffs.

van
July 23rd, 2012, 10:42 AM
Yes. The Crossers may - and the operative word is may - be the best of the rest in a VERY mediocre Patriot League, but that does not make them a good team. 6-5 is probable. 7-4 is possible. Beyond that you are into Daydream City. Contrary to one opinion on this board, the Patriot League is not a two bid League, even with the watered down playoffs.

I really think they win 7, with an outside chance to win 8 if the new QB is any good. They only lost 3 from the starting offense and although they did lose the strength of the defense, Gilmore is a great defensive coach and may reload better than everyone seems to think.